As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jazz me up!!

DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Lovin' time, chillin' time, any time.

I've got quite a bit of Jazz but I thirst for more.

Just dump all your favourite jazz musicians here.

Bonus points for flute :whistle:

DekuStick on

• Options
    Ado-sanAdo-san Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just saw Chris Potter (saxophone) live last weekend.

Un-freaking-believable.

Ado-san on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Don Ellis, specifically the song Indian Lady.

Spoom182 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ado-san wrote: »
    Just saw Chris Potter (saxophone) live last weekend.

Un-freaking-believable.

Oh I'm mighty jealous. I love Chris Potter.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    James Morrrison. The Australian multi-instrumentalist. There's a bunch of downloads on his site. Even some scores and stuff. I highly recommend Scream Machine. The version of Basin St Blues he's got on the site is awesome too. And he does a beautiful version of Shadow of your Smile on alto sax (don't think it's on the site though).

Allen Vizzutti is awesome too. Herbie Hancock (Cantaloupe Island was one of the first charts I learned to improv on).

Trentus on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    On the topic of Aus jazz, I vote Jamie Oehlers, sample some here. I only have one of his recordings actually, The Assemblers. And it's damn fantastic. It's pretty modern, but not the honky-squeaky modern, the funky but still definitely jazzy modern. It's all-round great really.

On the topic of honky-squeaky, and because he's really about the only flutist I listen to, Eric Dolphy. He's a multi-instrumentalist, woodwinds. His Out to Lunch album I quite like.

But really I think the coolest just regular easy to listen to not too weird jazz is Hank Mobley. I reckon Soul Station is my fave of his albums. (Genre-wise, I think you'd classify it as hard-bop.) Also check out some of his awesome solos on Kenny Dorham's record Whistle Stop, and when he was younger he played with Art Blakey in the Jazz Messengers.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Cat Empire are pretty awesome, but I don't think you can class them as just jazz. I recall reading a comment about their new album in the paper a little while ago. He said "it's not as quirky as their other albums, but that's definitely a good thing". All I could think was "fuck you guy!". I love tracks like Protons, Neutrons, Electrons (has a great flute part. just little flits, but they make the song!), and the Manifesto is a great one too. The Wine Song is fantastic. Point is, their quirkyness is what makes them so awesome.

He's not australian, but Maynard Ferguson has done some great things too. I love how he'd always try to keep jazz alive, trying to modernise it a bit and get people interested in it.

Trentus on
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Trentus wrote: »
    The Cat Empire are pretty awesome, but I don't think you can class them as just jazz. I recall reading a comment about their new album in the paper a little while ago. He said "it's not as quirky as their other albums, but that's definitely a good thing". All I could think was "fuck you guy!". I love tracks like Protons, Neutrons, Electrons (has a great flute part. just little flits, but they make the song!), and the Manifesto is a great one too. The Wine Song is fantastic. Point is, their quirkyness is what makes them so awesome.

The Cat Empire are great, but I don't know if I'd recommend them to people asking for jazz- I call it just party music, it's like jazz/rock/reggae/hip hop. Also, interestingly enough, the three tracks you listed are not what I'd call their best... Although the Wine Song is great to sing with drunken mates. As my favourites I'd list 'In My Pocket', 'How to Explain' and 'The Chariot'.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    More modern, but I enjoy some of the Ben Hans Trio stuff on "Drums! Bass! Guitar!" I also get a kick out of Bernd Heitzler, et al's "Bass Trio." Some jazz standards but pretty minimalist w/o a lot of modern "noodling."

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been enjoying Medeski, Martin & Wood a great deal recently. It's pretty much the only jazz I listen to, so I don't know much about how to compare it.

Great, though.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you're into jazz trumpet, I'd strongly recommend Sean Jones. Unbelievable.

Zifnab on
  • Options
    LiveWireLiveWire Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Madeleine Peyroux -- her albums are fantastic. GET THEM!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DgvguMwkqtk

LiveWire on
  • Options
    MartinMartin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't know how much or what era you're into, so I'll just list some of my favorites. If you've already checked out Chris Potter, try David Binney, Alex Sipiagin, Donny McCaslin, Mike Murley, Kelly Jefferson (especially Murley and Jefferson) etc. Can you tell I'm a horn player? Haha. You probably have most of them. Oh, Wayne Shorter Quartet is amazing, Maria Schneider or the Mingus Big band for larger ensembles.

Post back what you think if you find any of these, not a ton of people talking about jazz these days.

Martin on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm a piano player myself, so my stuff tends to be piano-centric. That being said, it is also awesome. Check out Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett and some Oscar Peterson. My favourite albums are probably My Spanish Heart, The Sun Bear Concerts and Night Train, respectively.

Also give some old Mingus and some newer Mingus Big Band stuff a listen. It's all fantastic.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gotta start with Miles Davis and John Coltrane, they pretty much founded contemporary jazz. After that I would go into the 60's a bit, Andrew Hill, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Thelonious Monk.

There's so much, man, it's hard to recommend artists, it's all about discovering new people for yourself and liking particular musicians. If you hear someone on one record you like, go buy an album of theirs, and so on.

limester816 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gotta start with Miles Davis and John Coltrane, they pretty much founded contemporary jazz. After that I would go into the 60's a bit, Andrew Hill, Herbie Hancock, Joe Henderson, Thelonious Monk.

There's so much, man, it's hard to recommend artists, it's all about discovering new people for yourself and liking particular musicians. If you hear someone on one record you like, go buy an album of theirs, and so on.

I've got the radio fixed on 91.1fm all the time, which is Toronto's jazz station. So I'm always loving every song they play and listening closely for names.

Thanks a bunch to everyone who's helped me out. I'm digging a lot of these artists.

DekuStick on