As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question about online PnP gaming.

TheGreatestAliasEverTheGreatestAliasEver Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
I have a very basic question- how does one manage to play a Pen and Paper game over forums? How can you emulate the dice rolls or, as the case may be, how can you be SURE that they're being honest?

TheGreatestAliasEver on

• Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    InvisibleCastle.com, or the GM handles all the dice rolls.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Look at any of the threads with [IC] in the front and read a little, you'll see how it goes. The links in the Spoilers will show you proof that they rolled what they said.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PbP, as mentioned, you can use Invisible Castle and a few other sites to avoid cheating.

Real-time chat clients have plenty of chatbots that you can use to automatically roll dice for you, once again eliminating cheating.

It's rather snazzy.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I believe AIM also has a dice-roll command, but for message boards InvisibleCastle does seem to be a popular and easily-accessible site to save and show randomized results.

In past experience GMing play-by-posts on other boards, I've found it best to handle all the dice rolls myself, but this was partly because we had an unsettling amount of people interested in role-playing yet barely grasped any concept of being confined to act out being in a specific place & time, or the difference between "suddenly I search for buried gold" and "suddenly I find buried gold!" If you leave them the responsibility to develop their current setting and resolve their own encounters they'll inevitably start running off to their own settings and create new encounters.

But PA's quite a cut above most evidently.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    But PA's quite a cut above most evidently.

I completely agree.

I'm running two games here, which have different styles and rulesets, and the forumers who play are not only willing to work with the system but also roll (ha) with some of the little things that you gotta do to make things more efficient.

This is the only online forum I'd run or play a play-by-post game in.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    that and horseshoe loves us.

in a totally platonic way.

but yeah, this is probably the best community i've been in

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    :winky:
    :cry:
    o rite

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    One of the best sites I've found for PbP(Play by post) Roleplaying is www.myth-weavers.com. They have an excellent character sheet function and all the dice rolls and things like that are integrated into the forum. Granted, the community is very varied, so your mileage may vary, but be picky about what games you join and you should be okay.

Or you could just hang with us cool cats here on PA. Because we're cool y'see.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, these forums are pretty awesome, and I probably never would have played a PnP game ever if it weren't for me getting into the PbP game I'm in. I would assume that if anyone is caught cheating or just being an overall douche, they would be banned from the forums.

Also, I love your spoilered sig, it's hilarious.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

but yeah, this is probably the best community i've been in

I've spent about 13 years doing this and this is the second best community I've ever been a part of, and the absolute best that commonly makes use of public dice rolls.

It works, Alias, promise.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    #Dicebot

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    #Noppa

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Be aware that internet dice are no less possessed of the malevolent presence that infest all dice everywhere. Prepare to botch.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Be aware that internet dice are no less possessed of the malevolent presence that infest all dice everywhere. Prepare to botch.

Man, never was a truer word spoken.
    <Edcrab> oh good grief
    <Edcrab> dice hate me, they really do
    <tastydonuts> you just have to trust them
    <tastydonuts> they won't let you down then. :)
    <Edcrab> hah
    <Edcrab> I trust them and they backstab me even when I've got +2 bonuses versus the opponent
    <Edcrab> four consecutive rolls dammit
    <tastydonuts> oh man, it's because you entertain the thought that they will fail you, just before you roll
    <Edcrab> lies
    <Uncle> wow, this is getting pretty existential
    <tastydonuts> truths! you're all "+2 Bonus! I GOT THIS" that's like an instant jinx.
    <tastydonuts> You just... do!
    <Edcrab> I'm doing it online
    <Edcrab> the soulless internet cares not
    <tastydonuts> You have to level up your alter-randomized-events-through-sheer-will skill.
    <Uncle> hey, someone should roll to see if my new typewriter is going to be in my mail this afternoon
    <Uncle> or is that more of a magic 8 ball kind of thing?
    <Edcrab> HOLY FUCK
    <Edcrab> ...seriously what
    <Edcrab> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1507512/
    <tastydonuts> huh
    <Edcrab> Uncle you are doing all my rolls for the homebrew you must be good luck
    <Uncle> haha
    <Edcrab> seriously what are the chances of that
    <Uncle> Now it has to be there
    <Uncle> if it's not the universe will tear itself apart
    <Edcrab> time to do a Relationships roll then
    <Uncle> oh man, this should be good
    <Edcrab> oh that fucking figures
    <Edcrab> jesus
    <Edcrab> http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1507514/
    <Edcrab> WHY DO YOU MOCK ME E-DICE

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Oh man, tell me about it. My scout in the DoD campaign and Jimninja's jedi in my Clone Wars campaign more often than not seem to be a testament to this.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not that I'm implying anything, but what smart people do is never talk about rolling well when they do. It ensures continuity.

So I hear.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I am rather good at rolling dice.

Yes, thank you.

e~ Though invisible castle doesn't treat me as well as my own ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alias, let me give you the only advice that really will do any good.

Join a game.

If you don't like it, quit. If you do, poof, new gaming medium.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Not that I'm implying anything, but what smart people do is never talk about rolling well when they do. It ensures continuity.

So I hear.

If you talk about rolling well the dice will hear you and swear revenge.

You don't want that.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    At home, my dice are kept in check. I have 2d6 that I love very much - a green one and a grey one. They dominate the HeroClix battles that are waged on my kitchen table.

Two weeks ago they flubbed my first two back to back rolls, I went upstairs and got a single d6 from my new Q workshop set. I made them watch while I rolled it twice per attack in their place. I made them watch. They saw how it - I shit you not - critted boxcars twice in a row (with a dab of PC). They saw. I picked them up again next turn and they were back in proper order.

The most important thing you need to remember when wrangling your dice is that their fear of loss is greater than their desire to gain.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    At home, my dice are kept in check. I have 2d6 that I love very much - a green one and a grey one. They dominate the HeroClix battles that are waged on my kitchen table.

Two weeks ago they flubbed my first two back to back rolls, I went upstairs and got a single d6 from my new Q workshop set. I made them watch while I rolled it twice per attack in their place. I made them watch. They saw how it - I shit you not - critted boxcars twice in a row (with a dab of PC). They saw. I picked them up again next turn and they were back in proper order.

The most important thing you need to remember when wrangling your dice is that their fear of loss is greater than their desire to gain.

Wow, just wow.

I should do that.

Wonder how much paradox it would generate.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Han Solo wrote:
    Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

I think that about sums up this 'dice luck' malarchy

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Han Solo wrote:
    Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Who is this "Han Solo"? He sounds like a wise individual. :P

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Han Solo wrote:

You might recall that he was completely fucking wrong.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    you might recall that you're ugly and dumb

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ( ._.)

fadingathedges on