As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So what's a good gaming monitor to get?

CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay some of you may have remembered some time ago I was looking at buying a new computer, I did so and it took a bit of time to get shipped but it came and everything arrived nice and safely. Almost. Unfortunately there was one noticeable exception, the monitor. When unpacking my PC I immediately noticed a tear in the box the monitor was in, opening it to make sure everything was alright I was dismayed to find that during shipping something had impacted the box hard enough to punch through cardboard and stryfoam to break the screen of the monitor, it was smashed in with cracks running throughout. Since then I’ve been dealing with the Canadian Post office which is less than helpful at getting my money back despite having insured it during shipping but that’s another matter.

The important thing is I’m looking for a monitor to replace the broken one now, I checked out another monitor thread around here but I didn’t quite get any answer I was hoping for so maybe this thread will do the trick.

I’ve been looking around for a monitor that was pretty much the equivalent of the one that I was sent, so far finding one hasn’t proven so easy however there are one or two choices I found, first I’ll show you what I ordered and the other two possible choices:

The one I original had bought

Possible replacement.

Dell's Crystal Monitor

I was one of the last people to order one of the monitors from the site, now they are sold out unless you buy one of their open boxed monitors ie: Those that were returned, refurbished or fixed and sent by the company, good point is you get a discount but really what are the odds those monitors are safe to use if they were returned or fixed? Thus I’m wary to take a chance on them. If I knew another good site that sold them I’d be all over it.

Second as you see above is another BenQ monitor, it’s pretty similar to the original one I had, the only real negative I can find is the frame. It’s not bad but it does bother me a bit, kind of a nit picky thing really, right now it’s my first choice to get to replace my damaged monitor.

Third choice is Dell’s Crystal Monitor, if you take a look at it you can tell that thing is love. Yeah it kicks mucho ass, bad point? The price. Can’t say I’m fond of spending that much for a new monitor.

Are there any other choices out there? Any real good suggestions? I’am Canadian so mind you that does limit my options in some cases. Main thing is I find a monitor with a similar price range and quality that the first one had. If I can order it online then awesome.

Cade on

• precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not sure if you have officemax up there, but I suggest looking at this weeks add.

Purchased a 24" Soyo Widescreen for $299.

Looks and works perfect. No issues at all, great viewing angles, because of the higher end glass.

precisionk on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Never heard of a officemax, and that monitor match up with what I said above? I'm kind of doubting it.

Cade on