Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D4e] IC: Return of the Burning Plague [encounter2 => page2]

LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
The Chronicles of the Sojourners
Chapter 1: The Return of the Burning Plague

Kivud's Pass cuts through Aberdarae mountain range, providing not only a 2-mile alternative to a 2000 mile trek to the coast around the range, but also access to the rich silver deposits at the heart of the mountains. The area grows prosperous and wealthy both through the silver from the mines, and the gold in the purses of passing traders and weary travellers.

The expeditionary band from Laoshire led by Erias the Sunlord, has been sent through the Aberdarae mountain range to Davermore to make contact with a mighty but mad wizard, who has been attempting to establish magical communication between the two points of light in the darkness. Upon arrival in Kivud's Pass, it becomes obvious that something is amiss: the miners are all sick, and the hospice and temple of Amaunator are overflowing with sick and dying.

Concerned, Erias and his band sought out the mayor and offered their services. The mayor told them of the history of Kivud's Pass, and the Burning Plague that years ago, a crazed Orc shaman prayed down on the town as revenge for the destruction of his tribe. Some months ago, a hobgoblin warband took up residence in the mountains to the north of town, and had to be put down. A small band fled into the Northwest mine, which connects to the underground wellspring that feeds the town's wells. The mayor fears that the same dark god who granted the Orc's prayers so many years ago may have granted revenge to the hobgoblins.

Erias, Tira, Kathra, and the others creep slowly down the stairs of the Northwest mine. Today they are messengers and errand boys no longer.

Today, they are adventurers.

Legionnaired on

Posts

  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Kathra and Corrin are the first down the stairs, Corrin raising his torch and Kathra attuning her dwarven eyes to the darkness and stone around her. This room, small as it is, doesn't look like it's been used in some time. Some of the rocks glint with silver but look to have been cast aside. There are a few scattered, ruined mine carts buried in the rubble that litters the floor. Four small shapes retreat from the two adventurers. Scanning the darkness and raising her warhammer with confidence and resolve, Kathra notices two larger, spear-wielding Kobolds at each side of the room.

    Corrin darts into action...

    Encounter_1.png
    Corrin is up first, then the baddies, then the rest of you, whoever posts first. Keep in mind that you can move through your allies' squares as difficult terrain (two square cost). The rubble on the floor also creates difficult terrain.

    Please make use of the co-ordinate system for ease lack of ambiguity.

    Legionnaired on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Spotting the kobold ambush party before anyone else, Corrin bolts forward into the fray, presenting himself as a opportune target for the pathetic dragon-men. Calling out the nearest skirmisher in the name of Tymora, the paladin closes the distance and lets loose a mighty blow, his sword sending sparks of holy light sailing through the air as the kobold barely sidesteps the attack.
    Minor: Divine Challenge on kobold skirmisher (8, 6).
    Move: (5, 3) right to (7, 3) down-right to (9, 5) = 5 squares
    Standard: Holy Strike: 1d20+5=7, miss!

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    The skirmisher is stunned for a second, it's wide, dark-sensitive eyes momentarily blinded by the Halfling's shining sword. He quickly recovers, and makes a hasty slash at Corrin's legs that lands wide as the Halfling charges through the rubble. His smaller brethren, inspired by his courage, also makes a thrust that lands wide.

    The small kobolds around the room jump into action, eager to earn the respect of their draconic elders. Though all of their untrained and weak spear attacks glance off of Corrin's armor to no effect, the Halfling's concentration is broken for only a second and the skirmisher's opportunistic thrust finds flesh.

    The other two kobolds in the room lunge at the rest of the party, attempting to cut off the lone paladin from any chance of support. Kathra parries their attacks with calm resolve.
    Skirmisher at (6,8) misses AoO, provoked by Corrin movement.
    Minion at (9,4) misses AoO, provoked by Corrin movement.

    Minions move and miss.
    Marked skirmisher hits Corrin for 9 damage.
    Skirmisher and minion move around Kathra and both miss.

    Map updated.

    Legionnaired on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The faint nimbus of light that surrounds Riardon briefly intensifies as he sizes up the situation with a stony glare. He appears to begin running, but quickly vanishes from sight, reappearing behind the kobolds and felling two of them with the deadly precision of his longbow.
    Move Action: Riardon uses Fey Step to teleport three right and two diagonal up and right - (2,9)

    Standard Action: Careful Attack vs. Kobold Minion at (4,9): Attack Roll = 22, Damage = 3

    Riardon spends his Action Point for this encounter to gain another standard action

    Standard Action: Careful Attack vs. Kobold Minion at (4,10): Attack Roll = 26, Damage = 3

    Contingency:

    If Riardon is attacked this round he will activate his Fox's Cunning power and shift one square away from his enemy, attacking with his longbow: Attack = 16, Damage = 9

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kathra bellows a Dwarven warcry and rushes toward the kobold minion in front of her. Her warhammer impacts through the pitiful creature's head, smashing its skull into fragments and coating her armor in blood.

    She continues her swinging motion and moves closer to the larger Kobold near her. The Kobold narrowly ducks under her swing, but she continues her spin and swings again. This time her hit connects.
    Standard Action: Passing attackAttack (1d20 6=17, 1d10 5=8) Hit vs minion

    Secondary attack from above Secondary Attack (1d20 8=10, 1d10 5=6) Miss vs skirmisher

    Action Point: Attack again Secondary Attack (1d20 6=16, 1d10 5=9) Hit vs skirmisher

    Move action: Her step takes her to (3, 7)

    mightyspacepope on
    sig3_zpsdb7d59bd.jpg
  • TomWhitbrookTomWhitbrook Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Skamos steps back from the kobold and the dwarf to give himself some room.
    "Filthy thing." He mutters under his breath, and you aren't quite sure whether he's talking about the kobold or the fighter.
    Pointing his wand, he utters under his breath, and a bolt of purple force shoots from it. To his obvious displeasure, the kobold ducks under his attack, and the bolt merely dislodges some ancient masonry from the wall.
    Move action: Shift 1 square to 4,4
    Attack action: Magic missile against skirmisher 6,3 1d20+5 versus ref 14=8, miss!

    TomWhitbrook on
    tomwhitbrook.png
  • lzrmcdoogallzrmcdoogal Registered User
    edited March 2008
    "Oof," Tira mumbles, slipping by her fellow party members. "If there's something creepy, I want to--ew, gross."

    Spotting the skirmishers, she raises her hand and her eyebrow and sends a ray of frost at one.
    Move action: move to (6,4)
    Attack action: Ray of Frost against skirmisher (8,5) 1d20+4= 19 hit! 3 damage

    lzrmcdoogal on
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Erias lifts his holy symbol, and mutters a few words, sending a beam of light, faith, and goodness at the nearest skirmisher. As the glow fades, Erias closes his eyes and drops to a knee. For an instant, his soul is one with Amaunator, and The Radiant One's righteousness arcs through his body. When he opens his eyes, the kobold in front of him has been slain.

    His faith renewed, he prays a quick blessing for Tira. With prayer, perhaps she will see the goodness of the light, and break from her slavery to the unseen?
    Erias moves to (4,4) then shifts to (3,5)
    Standard: Lance of Faith, hit, 12 damage. (sup max) Tira gets +2 to next attack.
    Free: Channel Divinity: Power of Amaunator. +9 damage, kobold is KO.

    Legionnaired on
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    With only two kobolds remaining, Corrin turns to the greater threat, offering twin prayers to Tymora for strength and protection. The blow strikes true, and though the creature manages to deflect most of the damage, the strain shows on its face. Riardron is then illuminated in holy light, and a golden shield of holy light springs up to deflect any blows. Taking an opening left from the attack, Corrin shifts into the corner to better protect himself. "Let's finish this!"
    Minor: Channel Divinity: Divine Strength
    Standard: Shielding Smite against kobold skirmisher: 1d20+6=16, hit! Damage 2d6+5=8. Riardron receives a +3 power bonus to AC until the end of my next turn.
    Move: Shift (9, 5) -> (8, 6), time for some dwarven babe flanking action! :P

    If either kobold hits, I will use Second Chance to force a reroll of the attack, keeping the second result.

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    The two remaining kobolds squack about in fear. They make hasty attacks at Corrin, but they are easily turned away by his trust in his armor and his faith in Tymora.

    From beyond the double door at the end of the hall, the party hears the sounds of tables being overturned, and more chittering...
    Kobolds move and miss. Map updated. Refresh to see the changes.

    Legionnaired on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "You are mine," whispers Riardon.

    He looses an arrow from his bow, the Kobold squealing in pain as it strikes home. The Eladrin leaps toward his quarry as he prepares for another shot, baiting it into making a foolish move.
    Minor Action: declares the Kobold Skirmisher his quarry (+1d8 damage)
    Standard Action: Careful Strike (1d20+10=15), an exact hit, Damage (1d10+1d8=16)
    Move Action: Riardon will move through a square that is threatened by Kobold Skirmisher to end up in the square just to the right of him.

    prepared for the same reaction (fox's cunning) as last time, plus another d8 if the skirmisher attacks him Damage (1d8=3) so that'd be an attack roll of 16 for 12 damage.

    basically, yes, I am provoking an AoO to get a second attack in this round.

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    The skirmisher takes the bait and makes a hasty one-handed thrust, attempting to slow the bleeding caused by Riardon's well placed arrow. The Eldarin, ready for the attempt, nocks an arrow, jumps backwards, and looses as one fluid action.

    The Kobold's life comes to an abrupt end.

    All that remains now is the one scared minion...

    Legionnaired on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hearing the Tiefling's mumbled disdain, Kathra drops her warhammer and draws one of her handaxes. She briefly considers tossing it at the prissy wizard, but grunts and thinks better of it. She moves further away from the stairs in order to have a better line of attack and heaves the axe toward the chittering kobold.

    The axe turns end over end and slams into the kobold's face. The impact causes the pathetic creature to flip backwards and crumple in a heap on the ground.

    Kathra begins laughing maniacally and moves to retrieve both of her dropped weapons.
    Minor: Draw weapon
    Move: (3,9)
    Standard: Ranged attack with handaxe
    Attack vs Kobold minion (1d20 6=24, 1d6 5=8)

    mightyspacepope on
    sig3_zpsdb7d59bd.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Well done, Kathra, well done," intoned Riardon, plucking two arrows from the body of the fallen skirmisher. The faint blue tinge of his skin faded as had the din of combat. It was one of the only signs of his mortality, for his voice and expression rarely betrayed any hint of emotion.

    "Might we pause for a bit before moving on? If there's no rush, of course. I'd like to clean my arrows... Kobold blood can leave such a stain on wood and metal."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kathra walks toward the kobold she'd just killed, patting the little Halfling paladin affectionately as she strolls past him.

    "A short break would be lovely," Kathra responds, her voice light and airy, as she yanks her handaxe from the kobold's skull, blood spurting into the air as she does so.

    She spends a few moments tossing the kobold's body into the air, attempting to make it repeat the backflip trick it had demonstrated earlier. Eventually, the little beast lands straight down on the top of its head. A sickening crunch resounds throughout the room as the kobold's neck bends unnaturally sideways.

    Kathra lets out a giggle.

    mightyspacepope on
    sig3_zpsdb7d59bd.jpg
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Corrin leans up against the crumbling masonry to quickly catch his breath. "Ya sure do know how ta make a feller blush, darlin', though ah'm not sure a short break'll cut it." He flashes the dwarf a large smile as he tends his minor wound.
    Corrin activates a Healing Surge out of combat and regains 6 hp.

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic Phenix City (No, I didn't misspell that)Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Erias strides to the corpse of the kobold he had slain and offers a short prayer to the Amaunator for the pitiful creature's soul. When he looks up he spots Corrin tending to his minor injury and frowns slightly, "Friend Corrin, you are hurt. If you do not object I shall pray to the Amaunator for your health."
    Assuming he doesn't mind someone other than Tymora lending a helping hand, Erias activates Healing Word on Corrin.
    1d6+4=9

    Kayne Red Robe on
  • lzrmcdoogallzrmcdoogal Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Tira watches the dwarf with a sense of disgust that typical beings are incapable of ever achieving. This was a snarl and a sneer packed into one, honed to a perfect glare of contempt.

    "Excuse me, sir," Tira says to Kathra, "but can you NOT play with your food?"

    She herself toes the body of a fallen skirmisher and sticks out her tongue, blanching.

    "As if."

    lzrmcdoogal on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kathra stomps back in the direction of the stairs. As she passes by where Erias is standing, she lifts up the kobold that the cleric had prayed for and tosses it in the direction of the dainty half-elf.

    "Kathra Ironforge is twice the woman that you are, mutt! All the males here wish to mate with me. I can smell it! I am not ungenerous, however. I will allow you the one with the tail." She vaguely points in the direction of Skamos.

    mightyspacepope on
    sig3_zpsdb7d59bd.jpg
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Well, aren't we all full of such vim and verve," Riardon calmly stated (the slightest curl at one side of his mouth). He retrieved the other two of his arrows and cleaning them with a cloth, "perhaps we might save a bit of that for whatever might be in the next room."

    "Begging your pardon, Tira," he said as he passed close to her while making his way toward the door. The Eladrin glided across the floor with careful and measured steps, his faint glow fading and coalescing near his ears, his senses intent upon the noises that came from beyond the room.

    Riardon will not go all the way to the door, but approach it cautiously while paying attention to the noises, to see if he can identify what type of creatures (as well as how many) might lie beyond.

    Perception (1d20 7=21)

    Insight (1d20 7=15)

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    The Eldarin quietly puts his ear to the door and listens. Beyond, he hears more of the tell-tale chittering of Kobolds, obviously alarmed. As he lingers, one voice in particular seems to take command, and the chittering quiets down. Then, the sounds of tables being overturned, scampering that grows quieter as if some of the creatures were retreating and then ... the sound of liquid pouring onto rock?

    Though the Ranger's senses are acute and he can get a good idea of the general number of kobolds in the next room, he can't pin it down exactly.

    He holds up his hands so as not to betray his post at the door, signaling 8, then a dash, then 10.

    8-10 kobolds in the next room.
    Obvious sounds of fortification.

    Legionnaired on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Riardon creeps slowly back and away from the door. Readying his bow and a fresh arrow, he calls his companions over to him.

    "More kobolds," he says in a monotone whisper, "8 or 10, maybe more. I suspect they're setting a trap for us. I'd say we could all keep quiet and wait to see if they get curious enough to poke their heads out... but we could always just spring the trap. Unless of course anyone has a special trick up their sleeve that they've been saving."

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Ah think if they've gone t' all that trouble just fer us, well, ah'd just feel bad if'n we didn't oblige them." Corrin readies his sword and shield, giving Kathra a quick salute as they both take position at the front of the group.

    "Y'all ready t' dance?" he says to the dwarf, and with a smile, the small paladin throws open the door.

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Corrin and Kathra kick down the door...

    Legionnaired on
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User
    edited March 2008
    encounter_2.png

    As the wood splinters they see a more burly Kobold than any their previous foes, who jumps backwards and squawks something in a draconic tongue. Just then, a squirly kobold behind the overthrown tables throws a small, flaming pot at Kathra. It falls short, but Kathra and Corrin quickly see that was the intention. The wet floor around the door bursts into flame, engulfing the armored pair.

    In the room, several overturned tables face the party. Stairs the far left rear of the room lead up to a balcony, where three kobolds with slings sit ready. To the right, buckets are suspended above holes that drop down into the heart of the mine.

    The Kobold slingers all loose stones and pots. Corrin ducks nimbly out of the way of two stones, but Kathra isn't so lucky. She is hit by a stone and a pot full of... sticky goo? The goop quickly hardens around her ankles, and she finds herself immobilized. Seizing the opportunity, the brutish Kobold that previously leapt out of the way springs forward and attacks with his sword. Though his skill is exemplary, Kathra's is more so - she parries without further discomfort.
    Corrin and Kathra both take 2 fire damage. Anyone standing in the highlighted squares at the beginning or end of their turn takes 2 fire damage. (Corrin and Kathra have effectively already taken that damage...)

    Overturned tables give a +2 AC bonus to foes on the other side of them.

    Kathra takes 13.
    Kathra is Immobilized (save ends)

    Legionnaired on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    "Corrin, I trust that you and Kathra can handle the ones with the shields?" said Riardon, bounding into the room. A doorway was too confined for his tastes. He was much more satisfied with shooting the foul beasts with enough room to run.
    Move: Riardon moves to the square one down and one left of the Kobold Skirmisher at the upper left.
    Minor: Declares that Skirmisher his Quarry.
    Standard: Careful Attack, Attack Roll (1d20 10=16), Damage (1d10 1d8=16)

    Prepared: Fox's Cunning will shift one square up and attack, Attack Roll (1d20 8=18), Damage (1d10 1d8 4=12)

    Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic Phenix City (No, I didn't misspell that)Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    With a frown, Erias takes in the situation. Momentarily he contemplates attempting to move Kathra out of her predicament by brute force, but decides he probably couldn't push the formidable dwarf even if she weren't stuck to the ground. Perhaps the Amaunator would be better able to assist her.

    The cleric makes a short sprint into the room through the flames, putting faith in his god and his boots to protect him, and raises his holy symbol aloft, "May the Keeper of the Eternal Sun smite thee, foul beast!"

    He is rewarded for his faith instantly as a beam of radiant light sears down from above into the Kobold facing his dwarven ally. The lesser light surrounding the beam seems to infuse and invigorate Kathra; Erias can only hope it is enough.
    Erias moves to what I assume is D5 (space immediately above the upper edge of the flames) and uses Sacred Flame on the Kobold in front of Kethra, hits 18+4=22, and does 6 damage. Kathra may either gain two temporary hit points or "make a saving throw" (which I assume means succeed the next one she takes).

    Kayne Red Robe on
  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic Phenix City (No, I didn't misspell that)Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Almost as an afterthought, Erias mutters a quick prayer to the Amaunator to watch over the health of Kathra during the coming battle.
    Totally forgot that Healing Word is a minor action, so I'll throw that out there as well on Kathra. 5+4=9 extra hp are recovered when she uses a healing surge next.

    Kayne Red Robe on
  • lzrmcdoogallzrmcdoogal Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Tira steps gingerly into the room, ignoring the barrage of stones and goop. The contemptuous objects would be possessed of an effrontery, indeed, if they even imagined grazing her elegance.

    She heads down into the flames, despite (or perhaps, because of) their brilliant intensity and destruction. She walks into them, making a firm stride toward the Skirmisher she spotted out of the corner of her eye.

    She raises her hand and releases a curse, smiling and all the time screaming things lewd, vile, carnal, becoming more and more animalistic, enjoying the fury that explodes from her.
    Move action: Move to the last square at the bottom with fire in it.
    Minor action: curse the skirmisher at (?,5) at the bottom left.
    Action: Eldritch Blast on the same skirmisher
    6 damage for the curse
    13 for attack roll,
    if hit:
    then 7 damage

    else:
    print ":("
    return 0

    lzrmcdoogal on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kathra's feet were hot. She didn't really notice, except she seemed unable to move. She tried to lift her foot, but it was stuck to the ground by some sort of goo.

    Her feet were hot. And sticky.

    "GRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR," she screamed and lunged at the nearest Kobold, swinging her warhammer at the creature's face. The blow impacted under its jaw and sent it staggering back. She continued her motion forward and pushed it back further by slamming her shield into its chest.

    "I'm going to floss with your small intestines and use your stomach sac to store my mead!" she screamed at it.

    Minor: Use second wind. Erias's Healing Word, combined with her HP healed during a surge, puts her back to max HP.
    Standard: Tide of Iron attack. Attack: [20,6] = (26) Woo! Crit! Damage: Max damage ends up being 15 (1d10+5)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1538170/
    Movement: Stuck
    Other: Marked the Dragonshield
    Saving throw: [5] = (5)
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1538178/

    Son of a bitch.

    mightyspacepope on
    sig3_zpsdb7d59bd.jpg
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Advancing alongside his dwarven companion, Corrin makes a small geture and mouths a quick prayer to Tymora, marking one of the kobolds with a divine challenge, then slashing with his sword at Kathra's wounded quarry. The creature easily deflects the attack with its shield and is unharmed.
    Minor: Divine Challenge on Kobold Skirmisher (6, 2)
    Move: Shift (5, 7) -> (6, 7)
    Standard: Bolstering Strike on Kobold Dragonshield (7, 6): 1d20+6=14, miss!

    delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
Sign In or Register to comment.