As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Subaru Issu...e

SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I got a 97 subaru outback from my father about 6 months ago. He never had any problems with it. I had no problems with it for the brief time I had in in New York - long enough to drive it from Westchester to Albany, about 125 miles or so. I shipped it across country, and ever since, it makes an odd noise while I'm driving: it's quiet while I'm idling, quiet while I'm accelerating, but makes a loud buzzing noise when ever I'm just coasting, including when I'm giving it just enough gas to maintain speed. If I accelerate again, it dies down until I let up on the gas. This noise continues until I come to a complete stop. The best I can describe the sound is like a older model VCR rewinding. The pitch gets higher at higher speeds. Oh, and the mileage I'm getting is really bad, like 12mpg or so.

Any ideas what could cause this? Any ideas for fixing it?

SlickShughes on

• Options
    deadman joltdeadman jolt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is your subaru turbocharged? If so, it could very well be the turbocharger spooling up. AFAIK (please correct me engine gurus), turbocharger only works when there is exhaust fromt he engine (rpms > idle)

deadman jolt on
    Snap Snap
    Crackle
    Pop
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Is your subaru turbocharged? If so, it could very well be the turbocharger spooling up. AFAIK (please correct me engine gurus), turbocharger only works when there is exhaust fromt he engine (rpms > idle)

I honestly have absolutly no idea. The little I know about engines tells me that needs extra venting, right? There's an intake on the hood, though I suppose that could just be generic and not related to my model or anything.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It doesn't look like '97 Outbacks were offered with factory installed turbos. And the hood scoop is standard.

http://www.cars101.com/outback_archive95-97.html#1997%20outback

If your dad was the original owner, he'd know if he ever added a turbo to it.

Shark_MegaByte on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It doesn't look like '97 Outbacks were offered with factory installed turbos. And the hood scoop is standard.

http://www.cars101.com/outback_archive95-97.html#1997%20outback

If your dad was the original owner, he'd know if he ever added a turbo to it.

I know he didn't alter anything about it, so if it didn't come from the factory as turbo, it ain't turbo. so that's out.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Any funky lights on? Does the noise happen regardless of engine temp (hot or cold)? How's the oil level and tire pressure?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Any funky lights on? Does the noise happen regardless of engine temp (hot or cold)? How's the oil level and tire pressure?

No funky lights. No relation to engine temp, though I rarely drive it more than 4 or so miles at a time (i have a short commute), I've taken it to the airport and back (like 20 miles or so? something like that) and there was no change. Tire pressure is fine, though it probably needs an oil change - my father was notorious for not changing the oil frequently enough. Since I only put like 30 miles a week on it, I've not driven more than 800 miles on it since I've gotten it so I've not taken it for an oil change yet. I guess that should be my first attempt to fix it.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Could it be your exhaust? I know my cars exhaust buzzes and rattles when I'm off the gas and coasting, most likely due to the particular pressures on the engine while coasting in gear.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Could it be your exhaust? I know my cars exhaust buzzes and rattles when I'm off the gas and coasting, most likely due to the particular pressures on the engine while coasting in gear.

That sounds promising, how would I go about checking it?

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you have a manual? If I put my car in first gear and drive it up a ways without shifting and then let off the gas and let it compression brake back down it will usually make quite a bit of buzzing. You might get the same effect in an automatic by just accelerating hard up to about 20 mph to keep it in first gear and then coasting. Maybe have someone sit in the back seat with the window open and see if it's noticeable or just have someone outside of the car. The biggest way I could tell was just that the noise was coming from under the car towards the rear, not really from the engine.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    It's an automatic, and seems to be occurring in all gears - I get it up to 65 or 70 or so on the highway coming home. I'll try the back seat thing though.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, my guess is the transmission or the torque converter. AWD's aren't my forte though...

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    dotcomsedotcomse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ...it's quiet while I'm idling, quiet while I'm accelerating, but makes a loud buzzing noise when ever I'm just coasting, including when I'm giving it just enough gas to maintain speed. If I accelerate again, it dies down until I let up on the gas. This noise continues until I come to a complete stop. ... The pitch gets higher at higher speeds.

Limed for probably the most important parts.

I had a problem like this, accept there was an accompanying smell. Turns out one (or maybe 2, can't recall) of my lugnuts was loose, and my front, driver-side wheel was wobbling back and forth on the car. When I accelerated, I guess there was enough force to stabilize it to prevent it from making noise. I doubt this is exactly what the problem is with yours, but it is certainly worth checking out...

The MOST important thing is that, if it's gone at a complete stop, and it gets higher at higher (I'm assuming wheel-, not engine-) speed, then it's definitely not an engine issue, it's a drive-train issue. If it were an engine issue, you would notice a change in the sound when the transmission up-shifted/down-shifted, and engine speed changed. Maybe you're out of transmission fluid. I'd check that out.

dotcomse on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ... a 97 subaru outback ... New York ... shipped it across country... the mileage I'm getting is really bad, like 12mpg or so.

And you said it's non-turboed. You should be getting upward of 20 mpg, something's wrong (it's a 4-cyl. right, or is it a 6?). Did you move it to a substantially different climate (South)? I'd take it to subaru and have it totally checked out. 10 year old car, maintenance spotty (dad didn't change the oil), you might have to spend some dough, but when you get it fixed it will be so very nice.

Description makes me think it's driveline-related (somewhere between the engine and the tires).

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Djeet wrote: »
    (it's a 4-cyl. right, or is it a 6?). Did you move it to a substantially different climate (South)?

It is a 4 cyl, yes. Climate change was NY -> San Francisco.

EDIT: I should point out that the climate change happened in early October, where there wasn't much difference in temperature, and the change in the car happened immediately.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    dotcomse wrote: »
    ...it's quiet while I'm idling, quiet while I'm accelerating, but makes a loud buzzing noise when ever I'm just coasting, including when I'm giving it just enough gas to maintain speed. If I accelerate again, it dies down until I let up on the gas. This noise continues until I come to a complete stop. ... The pitch gets higher at higher speeds.

Limed for probably the most important parts.

I had a problem like this, accept there was an accompanying smell. Turns out one (or maybe 2, can't recall) of my lugnuts was loose, and my front, driver-side wheel was wobbling back and forth on the car. When I accelerated, I guess there was enough force to stabilize it to prevent it from making noise. I doubt this is exactly what the problem is with yours, but it is certainly worth checking out...

The MOST important thing is that, if it's gone at a complete stop, and it gets higher at higher (I'm assuming wheel-, not engine-) speed, then it's definitely not an engine issue, it's a drive-train issue. If it were an engine issue, you would notice a change in the sound when the transmission up-shifted/down-shifted, and engine speed changed. Maybe you're out of transmission fluid. I'd check that out.

This is a good line of thinking. Does the car make the noise if you rev the engine while in neutral? If it doesn't it probably isn't anything in the engine.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    This is a good line of thinking. Does the car make the noise if you rev the engine while in neutral? If it doesn't it probably isn't anything in the engine.

Doesn't happen in Neutral or Park. That was the first thing I tried, back when this started.

SlickShughes on