As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mini-Phalla] Devil May Phalla - Devil Hunter victory!

1111213141517»

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... my hold on FreeAgent was blocked?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I think it went through, as there were no kills by him last night.

Shamus on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay...so I'm confused. I was in contact with two demons, Law and Toxic before I died. Both knew I was a demon. But when I asked them to vote for Gumpy, they both turned on me and voted for me.

Either of you want to explain what you were thinking?

Toxic seemed to feel that voting for me would somehow save him, though I couldn't see that at all at the time. Law... I have no idea what you were thinking, not only switching your vote to me but also asking people to bandwagon me when you knew I was on your team.

What gives??

El Skid on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shamus wrote: »

What he said.

Though I agree that starting off 4 out of 5 of the devil hunters with devil stars was slightly overpowered (taunt wasn't actually that useful, considering how cheap it was), there were quite a few villagers with crazy powers - El Skid's misdirect, Mr. D's power steal, and Trust & Last Son's item/power upgrades.

Edit: And yeah, bandwagoning El Skid was silly.

The order of actions was stupid, in retrospect. The vote should have gone first, if only to prevent FreeAgent from controlling the vote completely. I did not intend for that to happen.

I have to say, congratulations to FreeAgent for managing to find as many ways as possible to beat my system. :P

Burnage on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of dying on night one, did FreeAgent also know we were supposed to kill each other right off the bat?

Because

whoof

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Seriously wrote: »
    Speaking of dying on night one, did FreeAgent also know we were supposed to kill each other right off the bat?

Because

whoof

Yes

It was the most vicious rendition of the prisoners' dilemma that I have ever seen

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If I'd done what I was supposed to do, how was that going to turn out?

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Burnage wrote: »

What he said.

Though I agree that starting off 4 out of 5 of the devil hunters with devil stars was slightly overpowered (taunt wasn't actually that useful, considering how cheap it was), there were quite a few villagers with crazy powers - El Skid's misdirect, Mr. D's power steal, and Trust & Last Son's item/power upgrades.

The order of actions was stupid, in retrospect. The vote should have gone first, if only to prevent FreeAgent from controlling the vote completely. I did not intend for that to happen.

I have to say, congratulations to FreeAgent for managing to find as many ways as possible to beat my system. :P

I didn't mind them starting off with Devil Stars. But the Golden Orb/Resurrection on Nero? That's like starting off with 9,000 Orbs right off the bat. Not to mention the frustration of Night 3.

The village did have some nice and useful powers. I enjoyed my own Item Build ability. But the odds were totally against us. You don't think Taunt is that useful? Most of us didn't have the ability to kill or guard. So voting, in any Phalla, is a powerful tool. Every time a Devil Hunter voted, he effectively got rid of one of our votes, unless we decided to dump orbs into other abilities. Meanwhile, they were able to save up for the Ressurection Orb, or another Devil Star, so they dominated the vote as well as the rest of the village. Vergil had an even easier time.

The angels were somewhat more balanced in comparison. The joint attack makes sense, in a way, though why have it only affect demons? This basically makes it easier for them to kill the village and Trish, giving the Devil Hunters another pass, essentially.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ... there wasn't anything you were 'supposed to do'.

If neither of you had killed each other, you would have been able to win with your group win condition.
    If both of you had killed each other at the same time, you both would have died (and chances are the devil hunters would have lost).
    If one of you killed the other, you got a 5000 red orb bonus for fulfilling you win condition. Of course, you didn't know that.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ah!

That was what killed me, I made assumptions, which is my fault.

When I saw two conditions for winning, I assumed that I needed to fulfill them both, I should have asked about that.

And based on those assumptions, I constructed a false picture of the game and made silly decisions.

That's me, always thinking too much yet not thinking enough.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

What he said.

I didn't mind them starting off with Devil Stars. But the Golden Orb/Resurrection on Nero? That's like starting off with 9,000 Orbs right off the bat. Not to mention the frustration of Night 3.

Yeah I'd been giving all of my red orbs to Gumpy for the whole game. Hence why he could afford all that.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That's fine with me, Stew, any of us could've done the same thing. But having a free resurrection at the start, even if it's "limited" in that you can only use it on yourself, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Shamus on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh ok, I must've skipped over that bit in his PM. Yeah I see your point now. The Mafia were pretty powerful in this game.

Also it was kinda annoying that Maximus died the one night I changed my guard to someone else.

edit: Burnage, I never did ask, but how exactly did I get that item on day 4? Did someone trade it to me or something?

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I did like the item system though, and Burnage, I think you did a great job of capturing the flavor of the game. Having a way to buy abilities was very cool.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

The village did have some nice and useful powers. I enjoyed my own Item Build ability. But the odds were totally against us. You don't think Taunt is that useful? Most of us didn't have the ability to kill or guard. So voting, in any Phalla, is a powerful tool. Every time a Devil Hunter voted, he effectively got rid of one of our votes, unless we decided to dump orbs into other abilities. Meanwhile, they were able to save up for the Ressurection Orb, or another Devil Star, so they dominated the vote as well as the rest of the village. Vergil had an even easier time.

The angels were somewhat more balanced in comparison. The joint attack makes sense, in a way, though why have it only affect demons? This basically makes it easier for them to kill the village and Trish, giving the Devil Hunters another pass, essentially.

The majority of the devil hunters got pretty much the same number of red orbs as the villagers; as Stew_stick said, it was only because Gumpy was getting traded them by the rest of his team that he'd bought another res. orb. That was actually incredibly unlucky timing on the part of the village, as Gumpy had just bought it to res. Seriously.

I'm still new to this whole running-Phalla thing, so obviously something that looks balanced on paper to me might not turn out to be so. If I were to re-run this, I'd definitely tweak the devil hunters and angels - like you said, make the angel group attack affect everyone, possibly get rid of Vergil (or put him on the demon side), and take a level or two of taunt away from the majority of hunters.

Auto-res is okay in principle (I think of it like a guard that also outs the player in the narration), but no way should they be as available as they were in this game.

I'm also never, ever using probability-based abilities and items again. Any shops I use in future will also be streamlined. Way too difficult to keep track of, and I apologise to all of those whose nightly PMs I messed up. It does give me a new, overly impressed view of Ardor and Drez for running Phallout, however.

Stew - for the first two nights any players who died were turned into items and randomly distributed. Dante's item was Rebellion, and let you pick an individual win condition for yourself. I'm sad the two players that held it never used it, I wanted to see what it would come up with.

Burnage on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That was an awesome Phalla yet again, Burnage.

My only problem with it is that Oatway decided to seer me on Day friggin' One! I'm just too popular.

Lots of fun watching, though.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was actually having alot of fun with the game- my power was super fun, though I'd like to hear more about the mechanics of it.

Every night I got to redirect all powers affecting me onto one other person, and I used it to get rid of B:L and Maximus. while saving myself, which was cool.

Here's how I assumed my power worked: It was a defensive power, and so went in front of all offensive powers. It could be neutralized, but only if the person neutralizing it was as fast or faster than I was, as far as the quickness ability went. So someone would have to neutralize my powers and then have someone else off me. If the person doing the neutralizing was slower than I was, I "got my shields up" first, and the neutralization got redirected.

I have nothing but speculation to base this off of, but I'm kinda curious how close I was to the truth.

El Skid on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    May I say it was a fun game. I must apologize to Burnage for being as inactive as I was.
    Burnage I liked it a lot, also I want to point out you didn't give me my random kil for the two enraged I killed, but it doesn't matter since the demons lost either way.

Great game, it was a bit rough on my end to follow because of everything going on so I may have made it difficult for my fellow demons.

M.D. on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    I have nothing but speculation to base this off of, but I'm kinda curious how close I was to the truth.

Bullseye. Misdirect was defensive, so you could have been held then killed. Even unblockable kills were misdirected. Basically the only way to easily kill you was by vote, especially once you bought quicksilver.

If Trust had upgraded you, you would have been a fucking monster. All actions would have been switched from the old target to two new targets.

Mr. D - you did get the random kill, but I seem to remember it hit someone with a shield against all attacks or something. I didn't forget about it! I also didn't mind the inactivity, you were fine.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ROFL.

reflecting a seering would have been awesome if I had been upgraded.

You have seered El Skid. He is Dante AND the Angel Whatever. You are confused. :P

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    That is some bad luck, that we decided to kill Gumpy same night he decided to buy an Orb. :lol:

Overall though, despite my complaints, I did enjoy it, and think you did a great job. I have yet to run my own Phalla, but I understand the amount of work that goes into one and trying to balance it all out.

Rainfall, I loved your posts, both when you were alive and dead. I really thought you'd come back from the dead, that we were fufilling some game mechanic that we were unaware of, each night.

Shamus on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The devil went down to Georgia. He was lookin' for a soul to steal. He was in a bind 'cause
    he was way behind, and he was willin' to make a deal, when he came across this young man
    sawin' on a fiddle and playin' it hot. And the devil jumped up on a hickory stump and said,
    "Boy, let me tell you what.

I guess you didn't know it but I'm a fiddle player, too. And if you'd care to take a dare, I'll
    make a bet with you. Now, you play pretty good fiddle, boy, but give the devil his due. I'll bet
    a fiddle of gold against your soul, 'cause I think I'm better than you." The boy said, "My
    name's Johnny, and it might be a sin. But I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret, 'cause I'm
    the best that's ever been."

Johnny, rosin up your bow and play your fiddle hard, 'cause hell's broke loose in Georgia and
    the devil deals the cards. And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold. But if you lose,
    the devil gets your soul.

The devil opened up his case and he said, "I'll start this show." And fire flew from his fingertips
    as he rosined up his bow. And he pulled the bow across the strings and it made an evil hiss.
    Then a band of demons joined in and it sounded somethin' like this:

When the devil finished, Johnny said, "Well, you're pretty good, old son, but sit down in that
    chair right there and let me show you how it's done.

Fire on the mountain. Run, boys, run. The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun. Chicken in the
    bread pan pickin' out dough. Granny, does your dog bite? No, child, no.

The devil bowed his head because he knew that he'd been beat. And he laid that golden fiddle
    on the ground at Johnny's feet. Johnny said, "Devil, just come on back if you ever want to try
    again. 'Cause I told you once, you son of a BITCH, I'm the best that's ever been."
    Living easy, livin' free
    Season ticket, on a one - way ride
    Asking nothing, leave me be
    Taking everything in my stride
    Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
    Ain't nothing I would rather do
    Going down, party time
    My friends are gonna be there too

I'm on the highway to hell
    Highway to hell
    Highway to hell

No stop signs, speedin' limit
    Nobody's gonna slow me down
    Like a wheel, gonna spin it
    Nobody's gonna mess me 'round
    Hey Satan! Paid my dues.
    Playin' in a rockin' band
    Hey Mama! Look at me
    I'm on my way to the promise land

Highway to hell
    Highway to hell

Dont stop me!

Iau!Iau!yeah

[Intro:]
    Rrwoooaaaw!
    Ahh, Ahhh
    Burning now I bring you Hell!

[Post-Chorus:]
    Ahh, Ahhh
    Oh, burning now I bring you Hell!

Read me tonight, when the warnings said leave a shudder upon you
    Running from all that you feared in your life
    Soul of the night, when the sun mislead paint a horror upon you
    Marking the moment, displaying in my ghost of a life!
    And I can't get round the way you left me out in the open
    To leave me to die!
    So how can I, forget the way you lead me through the path into Heaven
    To leave me behind!

[Chorus:]
    Now I can't stay behind
    Save me, from wreaking my vengeance
    Upon you, to killing more than I can tell

[Repeat Post-Chorus]

Free me tonight, as the animal kings breathe their terror upon you
    Caught in the moment, engaging in my
    Bloodlust tonight, now I can't control my venom's flow
    Get back from me demon, or be exorcised!

[Repeat Chorus]

All my emotion and all my integrity
    All that you've taken from me
    All my emotion and all my integrity
    All that you've taken from me

Now I can't stay behind
    Soul of the night, I know
    Now I can't stay behind

I am disappointed in all of you for hating music.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rainfall, I loved your posts, both when you were alive and dead. I really thought you'd come back from the dead, that we were fufilling some game mechanic that we were unaware of, each night.

Every time I get one of the big villain roles I hope that there will be something I can do after I die.

Freaking you guys out is the least I could do.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If I wind up running a phalla again, I think I might try and integrate necro-posting into it. Why should the fun stop just because you're dead? :P

Question; how successful was the whole cover-role thing? If somebody in the village had bought the demon codex and done a roster call, obviously they would have known something would be up with the scribbled-in names, so I guess that was a vague attempt at making a possible roster call a mechanic of the game.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Grundl screwed up with it, but that was all. It's all my gault because I figured there would at least be another day where I could spend all of my orbs and kill everyone in a blaze of glory. Speaking of which, my devil trigger would have let me kill someone wouldn't it have...

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Random observation, but Krata had one of the most useful powers in the game, even though I don't think it ever got used. A 50% discount could have definitely swung things in the village's favour.

Burnage on
  • Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Random observation, but Krata had one of the most useful powers in the game, even though I don't think it ever got used. A 50% discount could have definitely swung things in the village's favour.

And would have.

Had I not been murdered merely for enjoying music. *laughs*

Nah, anyway, honestly, it was fun, and I WAS looking forward to, say, a ressurectuion from my masoned partner, who died last night.

EDIT: Yes yes, I realize I was killed because it was annoying.

But c'mon, I told a story to Rainfall with song lyrics. How can I not get SOME love for that?

(even if she died at the end)

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    FrostMistFrostMist NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hehe - fun watching, but next time - I don't want to be bandwagoned day 1! that sucked. Been keeping tabs on what was going on tho.

FrostMist on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Definitely good times. I hadn't considered killing Dante would give me a massive amount of red orbs, just figured it would let me win. However, all of a sudden having 7000 orbs was pretty badass, as I immediately grabbed Dark Slayer.

Which resulted in my Day 2 kill/ds kill/devil trigger. Plus, targeting the guy in the lead dropped the vote onto another unsuspecting villager. That was a delightful 4 kills.

Fun game Burnage. Would play again :^:

EDIT: Seriously, sorry about cutting out your heart on Day 1. I was a little confused when my role PM told me to kill Dante, and then told me who Dante was... But in my defense, I did bring you back tonight, since I though we would at least last 1 more night.

I had envisioned a pretty badass back-to-back Vergil/Dante battle against Law and Shamus, but at least you were alive when we won.

Seriously.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What was the highest combo rating in the whole game?

Because

Burnage wrote:
    You are the half-demon devil hunter Nero.

You held Toxic Toys!
    You died!
    You were resurrected!
    You died!
    You were resurrected!

SSStylish! You gained 21,500 red orbs!
    You now have 21,500 red orbs!

May or may not have been one of the best PM's I have received in any Phalla ever

Gumpy on
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So... why did I not have a masoned partner?

It made people a little wary of me.

Also, sorry Rainfall for seering you Day 1. I had hoped we would be on the same side, you see.

Instead you had to go and be the lone-wolf-victory character.

:(

Oats on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    What was the highest combo rating in the whole game?

Yours, without a doubt. Second place was either ultarune (Verde Angelo) when his team-mates died, as he got the orbs they would have done for that one night, or FreeAgent on one of his rampant slaughter nights.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ...There were combos?

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The rating and number of orbs you got each night.

Dull = 1000
    Crazy = 1500
    Bravo = 2000
    Awesome = 2500
    Showtime = 3000
    SSmoking = 3500
    SSStylish = 4000 or above.

The number of orbs you got each night was a base value of 1000, with whatever actions you performed adding more. Holding an inactive player might net you 500, but holding someone like FreeAgent might have net you an extra 1500, for example.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So getting ressed two times in a row nets you 21k points? If only I thought of that.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I thought about signing up to this baby, but I figured it would be kinda imba (no offense Burnage) and I didn't have the time to juggle track of orbs and who was what, what powers I had and all of that other stuff.

Seemed fitting that Dante got revived in the end and won.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So getting ressed two times in a row nets you 21k points? If only I thought of that.

I couldn't decide whether dying should mean Gumpy got 0 orbs that night, or being resurrected twice should net him a huge number. So, I flipped a coin for it.

And Spectre, no offense taken (considering it did turn out kind of imbalanced). I'm taking it as a learning experience.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm just sad because I suck, and I lose every phalla I play in.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    To be fair Law you did fairly well here

If Burnage hadn't made measures to counter your rooster call I would have been in trouble

So you were only one phalla too late with that play ):

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yea, I knew I was basically giving away all of those names out, but Toxic forced my hand because he's an ass. Then there was the 2nd to last word from your win condition thing, only problem with that being everyone other than Sparda's Wrath had the same word there (we didn't know that).

TheLawinator on