As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] American McGee's Alice-Nightmare Boss Rush-Final

• Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How have there not being sequels to this? I loved this game back in the day. Better graphics, new fairy tale, and improved combat and we are golden!

...I want it now. :'-(

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    How would you make a sequel to it? The whole story was wrapped up and it wouldn't make sense now that Alice is "cured".

They did try to make an American McGee's Oz, but it didn't amount to anything. In his new game you're supposed to run around corrupting various fairytales, so there's that.

There has also been talks of a movie ever since the game was released, with... Sarah Michelle Gellar of all people.

Marilyn Manson is making a new movie about the life of Lewis Carroll, which is supposed to contain music composed by Chris Vrenna, who also composed the Alice soundtrack, so it could perceivably resemble the game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wikipedia has a rumour that EA are 'thinking' about remaking it for the current generation..

Game remake

Electronic Arts has expressed interest in releasing a remake of the game alongside the movie. There are no details yet about the content and changes of the remake. If the remake does occur it is unknown if the game will follow the movie or be an updated version of the original release. However the game will at least be receiving a technical update and an updated control scheme.

hmm, if they do remake it...for the love of god dont ruin it.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man this game was so fucked up at points, bosses like the Duchess and the Mad Hatter just freaked the hell out of me. Good game to play though, very good game when it came out.

After watching your latest vid those goddamn crazy kids - constant gibbering and beating themselves was creepy as fuck.

Ever since the game came out there have been rumors of a movie but I didn't hear Sarah Michelle Gellar, I hear it would be Christiana Ricci which seems like a better choice.

Good to see this game getting a let's play.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This would make a great animated film.

Or maybe something done in the vein of Pan's Labyrinth, but I think it'd work better CGI'd, or something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I know Sarah Michelle Gellar was listed on IMDB for a while, though I don't know if she still is.
    Even though Alice is significantly younger in the game, I still think Christina Ricci would do good job with the part (leagues beyond SMG). Plus she's creepy enough in real life.

Lars on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sarah Michelle Gellar has said she's still attached to the project and would like to see it done.
    Recently, too.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Sarah Michelle Gellar has said she's still attached to the project and would like to see it done.
    Recently, too.

I think she would make an OK Alice...as long as the rest of the games features are in place as well. It shouldnt be too hard to make a semi decent film out of it (please dont curse it D:)

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stage 7 is up!
    Enjoy

I die in this one...alot...D:

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Here is Stage 8

Stage 8

EDIT: Got rid of after COD4 asskicking sulking :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry i missed a day, heres stage 9

stage 9

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm really enjoying your commentary. Keep up the good work!

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stage 10 is now up folks

Contents include ladybugs with crap as bombs, big fish, a chameleon whose a drunk and an old lady whose head goes pop once Alice is done with her.

Stage 10 and Boss (11)

EDIT
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying your commentary. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! im glad people seem to be enjoying this as much as i am :)

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Stage 12!

Full of rage towards that blue fucker mock turtle...fuck that guy.

RAGE

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What happens if the oysters get you? Any special animation for that, or just the same "oh, you drowned" style of game over?

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Kupi wrote: »
    What happens if the oysters get you? Any special animation for that, or just the same "oh, you drowned" style of game over?

Yup its oh you drowned lulz. Only a few things that give you a special death and sadly that aint one.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    "Oh gee wiz Helloween. Is that part 13?"

"Why yes it is young scallywag"

"What does this novel include Mr. Ween?"

"Includes RAGE young sonner...lots of RAGE. And Brown...and colour changing shrooms"

"Thats some freaky shit Mr. Ween...but why was it a day late?"

"Because my young raggermuffen...im lazy :("

Stage 13

Sooooo much brown...dear god, and sadly more to come. -.-

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You know I have the Mac version of this. I played it not too long ago but didn't get very far until I got a bit bored with it. I really need to pick it back up sometime.

Perhaps I'll wait to get my new Mac with the bitchin' videocard though so I can play it properly.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Helloween wrote: »
    Recently, too.

I think she would make an OK Alice...as long as the rest of the games features are in place as well. It shouldnt be too hard to make a semi decent film out of it (please dont curse it D:)

I'm more interested in the Tim-Burton Motion Capture/Live Action version.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Recently, too.

Oh god that would be epic!

I can imagine it...would have to have singing in it though :D

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Recently, too.

...uhm, you do know this is real, right?
    Tim Burton Making 3-D Alice in Wonderland for Disney
    Also: The return of Frankenweenie!
    by Jeff Giles | November 16, 2007
    BLOG ARTICLE | DISCUSS ARTICLE
    He's already taken filmgoers to Sleepy Hollow and into Willy Wonka's factory -- and now, Variety reports, Tim Burton will team up with Disney to give audiences a new take on Alice in Wonderland.

Burton's Wonderland is part of a new two-picture deal with Disney, one which will also find him bringing an expanded version of his 1984 short film, Frankenweenie, to theaters. Oh, and did we mention that both pictures will be shown in 3-D? Read on:

"Alice in Wonderland"...will combine performance-capture imagery, currently seen in "Beowulf," with live-action footage.

After "Alice," Burton will helm and produce "Frankenweenie," based on his 1984 short film about a pet dog brought back to life by his loyal owner. Pic will be shot in stop-motion animation and shown in digital 3-D.

As the article points out, Disney has been looking to increase its 3-D presence for some time now, and new technology has only helped fuel the studio's ardor. Disney's Oren Aviv tells Variety that Burton was the only director the studio wanted for the Alice script, proving that occasionally, the studio heads really do know what they're doing.

Source: Variety

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Recently, too.

I'm... moderately hopeful.
    Burton isn't as good a choice as one or two would be (Dave McKean's or Guillermo Del Toro's Alice, now those I'd kill large numbers of people to see), but he nontheless has roughly the right style.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Recently, too.

Burton isn't as good a choice as one or two would be (Dave McKean's or Guillermo Del Toro's Alice, now those I'd kill large numbers of people to see), but he nontheless has roughly the right style.

I can't think of a bad Tim Burton film. (He's had GREAT films and good films.)

So I'm excited.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Recently, too.

So I'm excited.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Tim Burton.
    But I can think of several bad films he's done, and the only ones that even begin to qualify as more than "quite good" are Ed Wood and Sweeny Todd.
    Burton does not make great cinema.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Recently, too.

So I'm excited.
    But I can think of several bad films he's done, and the only ones that even begin to qualify as more than "quite good" are Ed Wood and Sweeny Todd.

opinions opinions lol

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    oh shits i didn't realise...awesome =D

This and the supposed 'Alice' film...should be something to look forward to.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sweeny Todd is one of my very least favorite Tim Burton's, if not my least. And my mind is blown that you wouldn't put Nightmare Before Christmas up there. Thoroughly blown.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    Sweeny Todd is one of my very least favorite Tim Burton's, if not my least. And my mind is blown that you wouldn't put Nightmare Before Christmas up there. Thoroughly blown.

Tim Burton did not direct Nightmare Before Christmas, that's why.
    Or Corpse Bride.

Henry Selick did.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Or Corpse Bride.

Henry Selick did.
    Well he wrote it and produced it, and I guarantee had as much a hand in its development as possible. So while he didn't physically direct it himself, I would still call it his movie. But I guess if that's how you want to define "his" movies, then yeah it wouldn't count.

But I count it, and I count it as awesome.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Or Corpse Bride.

Henry Selick did.

You're 50% correct. Burton didn't direct NBC, no, he was just responsible for the concept and writing.

But for Corpse Bride Tim did direct.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Or Corpse Bride.

Henry Selick did.

You're 50% correct. Burton didn't direct NBC, no, he was just responsible for the concept and writing.

But for Corpse Bride Tim did direct.
    Co-directed with Mike Johnson, just for pedantry's sake.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ...Frankenweenie? I've seen the original, and I'm amazed that Disney think there's enough there to make a film.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've been following this Let's Play with utter delight, as you've been doing so many things like I did them, topping it off with a suitably fantastic commentary. That Mock Turtle was the biggest bastard imaginable, but I suppose being hunted down by the Duchess for so long would make anyone go a bit weird. Good catch on spotting Bandersnatch Opticals, and good catch on remembering the mention of it in "The Jabberwocky". What you probably don't recall is the Bandersnatch that fucked up the Banker in "The Hunting of the Snark". From the description it would've made a cool boss for this game, but c'est la vie.

It's going to be so cool when you get to the Jabberwocky. So very, very cool.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ...Frankenweenie? I've seen the original, and I'm amazed that Disney think there's enough there to make a film.

I agree, but on the contrary, it's stop-motion animation, and I'm all for that.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish I could find a copy of this game.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I bought the soundtrack to this game when it came out, and it is one of the coolest game soundtracks I've ever heard. I think it was written by one of the guys from NIN.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Actually, I remember loving this game when I played it way back when. But it's replay value wasn't so great. The videos are just as good as a second playthrough.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I also own the soundtrack.
    Chris Vrenna did it.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You guys like brown right? cause theres more...so much more...im off to weep in a corner now D:

Stage 14-goddamn gimmie some COLOUR

EDIT

For those who didn't realise if you got the orginal CD still you can pull the music of it...thats what i did ^^. Not quite the same thing but good for those who want the moozak.

Second edit (im so sorry)
    I've been following this Let's Play with utter delight, as you've been doing so many things like I did them, topping it off with a suitably fantastic commentary. That Mock Turtle was the biggest bastard imaginable, but I suppose being hunted down by the Duchess for so long would make anyone go a bit weird. Good catch on spotting Bandersnatch Opticals, and good catch on remembering the mention of it in "The Jabberwocky". What you probably don't recall is the Bandersnatch that fucked up the Banker in "The Hunting of the Snark". From the description it would've made a cool boss for this game, but c'est la vie.

It's going to be so cool when you get to the J. So very, very cool.

Thanks! That Boss is freaking epic.

Game and story spoilers
    Going through the second time its great seeing the refrences to Alice's Mind and what they represent, things that you would clearly miss the first play. The asylum stage for example or Alices buring home when faced with the Jabberwocky and espcially the BIG SPOILER BIG SPOILER

Queen with all those faces

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Success! There is moar colour beyond the brown bleakness...

We have Marble rolling, icy sticks and hot air.

Stages 15 and 16

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!