As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles hype thread - Very, very simply one of the best games this year

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    These were done with frickin' Windows Paint, so they don't much compare to Reznik's - even so, here they are...

sig4gq1.jpg

sig5ez4.jpg

sig6sh0.jpg

sig7lw5.jpg

sig8dq5.jpg

sig9eg0.jpg

sig10qq8.jpg

Actually, some of 'em turned out not-too-bad. I think I'll redo mine.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Haikira wrote: »

Any word on art book deals for the uk?

Over here one online retailer is offering an art book as a pre-order bonus.

Btw, I usually don't like having a sig but I'll have one for VC's sake. Thanks Reznik.

Chance: Download Gimp. It's not as good as Paintshop Pro but it's still worlds better than Paint and it's free.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I didn't really know what this game was, but I was very bored so I got qore just for the demo...

Now I am really really looking forward to it.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I didn't really know what this game was, but I was very bored so I got qore just for the demo...

Its free in Europe PSN... oh well, enjoy your Qore.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Downloading the demo now. I wasnt interesting in this game until today. Now Im excited.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    firekiun wrote: »

Its free in Europe PSN... oh well, enjoy your Qore.

We get the demo for free, and the full game earlier. Hell has frozen over i believe.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    just played the demo and I'm duly impressed.

Six on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, finally got a chance to finish up the sigs I was also working on...

...let the orgy of sig posting continue!

aliciasu5.jpg

rosievp6.jpg

redarmyzk0.jpg

soldierpw2.jpg

tankuk6.jpg

invasionbt6.jpg

decided to forgo any extra text and let the shots speak for themselves

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Realy impresive work. May have to snag one of these snazy sigs when I get home today. Been looking forward to this game for some time but still havn't taken to making a euro acount and playing the demo. Just on the videos and the fact that the director of Skies of Arcadia is involved makes it a day one pick up.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nice, Carbon!

Chance on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    definitely going to pick this one up... sometime. my cup already runneth over, you know.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fixed my sig ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Ok, finally got a chance to finish up the sigs I was also working on...

...let the orgy of sig posting continue!

aliciasu5.jpg

rosievp6.jpg

redarmyzk0.jpg

soldierpw2.jpg

tankuk6.jpg

invasionbt6.jpg

decided to forgo any extra text and let the shots speak for themselves

Oh snap, I am so taking one of those.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    definitely going to pick this one up... sometime. my cup already runneth over, you know.

(raises clenched fist to the air and shakes it most vigorously!)
    POOOOOOOOK!
    (jk)

Apparently that kinda' reflects how sales went in Japan. I think it started off with 170k (don't quote me on that) and petered off very quickly, but it's sold at low, constant numbers since.

Also, fading:
    Nice!

Chance on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    Apparently that kinda' reflects how sales went in Japan. I think it started off with 170k (don't quote me on that) and petered off very quickly, but it's sold at low, constant numbers since.

Where did you hear that? I've been trying to figure out how it did in Japan for awhile now so I know whether or not to get my hopes up for a sequel. (I realize its a bit early to hope for a sequel since I haven't even played the game yet. But this genre is right up my alley and its so freaking beutiful)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

(raises clenched fist to the air and shakes it most vigorously!)
    POOOOOOOOK!

mainly ive still got to finish Disgaea 3 to my satisfaction before im willing to invest in another SRPG.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    aliciasu5.jpg

Getting this. Thanks, CarbonFire.
    Chance wrote:

That's sad but not unexepected. I may be wrong, but I think the Japanese don't really like their tactical RPGs with a military bent, especially one that takes inspiration from World War II. Plus all this fields-of-fire and opportunity shot mechanics is a bit new (to them).

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darksteel wrote: »
    the Japanese don't really like their tactical RPGs with a military bent, especially one that takes inspiration from World War II.

man, this reminded me of Moe Moe Niji Taisen Deluxe and thats just... something. something NSFW.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mainly ive still got to finish Disgaea 3 to my satisfaction before im willing to invest in another SRPG.

/sigh. Disgaea... fine, I can dig it. But isn't Disgaea like, one of those games you never actually 'finish'? The game for the Hardcore Hardcore, with 100-floor dungeons to level up your sword? Mainly that's why I never got into it. Intimidation.
    greeble wrote: »

Where did you hear that? I've been trying to figure out how it did in Japan for awhile now so I know whether or not to get my hopes up for a sequel. (I realize its a bit early to hope for a sequel since I haven't even played the game yet. But this genre is right up my alley and its so freaking beutiful)

I heard it on the GameFAQs forums (where people have been playing imported JP copies for a while - there's even a review that doesn't even touch on quality but goes on about the battle system and plot), which admittedly isn't an indication of intelligence - quoting from there. But perhaps my brain just got the numbers garbled (or made some up). I've got the real numbers below, spoiler'd for size.
    I may be wrong, but I think the Japanese don't really like their tactical RPGs with a military bent, especially one that takes inspiration from World War II. Plus all this fields-of-fire and opportunity shot mechanics is a bit new (to them).

Turns out you are wrong (but it's okay, there's been a lot of Wrong going around today). Valkyria beat the shit out of Disgaea in Japan - and Valkyria's been out half as long (I'll show it in the spoiler tag). Numbers are here, at good 'ol VG Chartz.

It's Chance's numbers comparison showdown! <ding! ding!> Boxing gloves crashing together! Sunday Night Debate, y'all! Valkyria Vs. Disgaea! Spoilere'd for big:
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Released 04/24/08
    Week 1 78,038
    Week 2 21,028
    Week 3 11,095
    Week 4 7,460
    Week 5 4,169
    Week 6 3,320
    Week 7 2,311
    Week 8 1,909
    Week 9 1,770
    Week 10 1,585

Which puts it just shy of 133 thousand as of the first week in July. However, VG Chartz does note its total sales as 149,879 - so it's sold better than 17k in the past twelve weeks (about 1.4k a week) - 'holding steady' I suppose. At least that much of what I'd gleaned was accurate.

For comparison's sake (POOOOOK!), Disgaea 3 has sold 108,938 total in Japan. It came out there on... January 31 of this year. For comparison's sake, its first ten weeks look like this:

Disgaea 3 (JP)
    Released 01/31/08
    Week 1 58,013
    Week 2 11,606
    Week 3 7,620
    Week 4 4,940
    Week 5 3,579
    Week 6 2,742
    Week 7 2,400
    Week 8 2,257
    Week 9 2,036
    Week 10 1,740

Looks like the 'hardcore for hardcore' badge cost it some sales out east too >.< for shame! In the states it looks even worse (though, compared to some sleeper hits from last generation, not that bad, really)...

Disgaea 3 (US)
    Released 08/26/08
    Remember, it's barely been out for a month.
    Week 1 20,407
    Week 2 11,048
    Week 3 8,066
    Week 4 6,742
    Week 5 5,680
    Week 6 5,394

57,337. VG Chartz notes its total at 0.06 Mil (60k). Its first few weeks look pretty pathetic compared to Japan, but it was still sellin' over 5k by week 6, whereas in Japan it had already dropped to 2.7k. So perhaps Disgaea has the slow'n' steady legs over here too!

So in conclusion, don't quote shit you heard on the GameFAQs boards. Look it up yourself, Chance.

Edit: I'm not tryin' to flame Disgaea - I have tons of respect for anyone who can lock horns with The Hardcore SRPG. But they're both on PS3 an' Pook brought it up and it seemed like a good comparison.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man I want this game to succeed for so many reasons.

Because of the Art Style
    Because the Story/World looks pretty interesting
    Because the Combat System is actually FUN
    Because Turn-based gameplay seems to be going out of style
    Because I want to see more RPGs like VC
    Because it's a Japanese RPG that isn't grind-tastic
    Because it's a War game not centered around burly grunting supermen
    Because it's a Shooter that respects RPG rules (instead of RPG-lite games like Bioshock which use RPG more like a gimmick)
    Because it's a Sega game that isn't shit - so hopefully they'll make more of THESE games and stop raping Sonic's rotting corpse

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've been pimpin' it out on every street corner, but the johns are few and far between.

It's only a matter of getting people to try the demo - and then it sells itself. I haven't heard anything bad from those who've gotten their hands on it. If only more people would try it.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've been pimpin' it out on every street corner, but the johns are few and far between.

It's only a matter of getting people to try the demo - and then it sells itself. I haven't heard anything bad from those who've gotten their hands on it. If only more people would try it.

Qore

Damn you Sony!
    *shakes fist menacingly*

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Qore

Damn you Sony!
    *shakes fist menacingly*

UK account

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    I\'ve been pimpin\' it out on every street corner, but the johns are few and far between.

It\'s only a matter of getting people to try the demo - and then it sells itself. I haven\'t heard anything bad from those who\'ve gotten their hands on it. If only more people would try it.

[COLOR=\"Red\"]Qore[/COLOR]

Damn you Sony!
    *shakes fist menacingly*

UK account

I assume what CF is shaking his fist at is that by putting the demo on Qore, Sony is dramatically limiting the number of people who will see it, curbing the exposure the game will get. Anyone here who wants to play the demo can without too much trouble, but it’s hardly common knowledge.

Six on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is going to have to wait. :| I already have several RPGs lined up and the October - November blitz is just beginning. Too many damn games...

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tSix:

Ah. True enough.

Renzo on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    you guys will be happy to know that i just went to download the valkyria chronicles demo to see what all the fuss is about...

...but it looks like the store is down for maintenance. foiled!

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    you guys will be happy to know that i just went to download the valkyria chronicles demo to see what all the fuss is about...

...but it looks like the store is down for maintenance. foiled!

(clenched fist)
    Pooook!
    oh, uh, I mean
    PSNnnnn!

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

/sigh. Disgaea... fine, I can dig it. But isn't Disgaea like, one of those games you never actually 'finish'? The game for the Hardcore Hardcore, with 100-floor dungeons to level up your sword? Mainly that's why I never got into it. Intimidation.

yes well, note the "to my satisfaction" qualifier. to actually 100% complete a Disgaea game would take a damn lifetime. its not really even a game that can be 100%d in a traditional sense.

also, you should really really play one of the Disgaea games. don't be put off, theyre really fun! :winky:

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

yes well, note the "to my satisfaction" qualifier. to actually 100% complete a Disgaea game would take a damn lifetime. its not really even a game that can be 100%d in a traditional sense.

also, you should really really play one of the Disgaea games. don't be put off, theyre really fun! :winky:

Right after VC. And Fallout 3. ...and Prince of Pers-Mirror's Edge-Deadspace...

Chance on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll get around to trying Afternoon of Darkness on the psp eventually. If I really dig that I'll move on to Disgaea 3.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Disgaea is really great from a story perspective, as most of it is super funny. But I never really dug it as a strategy game. It had too many ways to break the game, too many ways to make fighting your enemies completely pointless because of how strong you are. I know that this is the point of the game, but it has never really appealed to me.

You see, I'm madly in love with strategy games. I'm not so good at chess or Go, but I do try and study them if I have time. I especially love strategy games with a World War II bent. I spent an entire summer trying to understand Advanced Squad Leader. I love the Combat Mission and Close Combat games. I also really like Jagged Alliance 2, though it's not set in WWII.

The common thing about these games is that their mechanics are built in a way that, first and foremost, makes you think, I mean really think, about strategy and tactics. The thing I like about them is that they allow you to tackle and solve problems in a realistic way. Flanking, suppressive fire, bounding overwatch, fire and maneuver, mobile defenses, stealth and camouflage, all are possible solutions made intuitive because this is what would happen in real life. The game asks you to exploit these because if you don't you die.

The reason I don't like Disgaea from a mechanics perspective isn't because it isn't realistic, but because its mechanics doesn't allow for sound tactical thinking in battle if I try to exploit the rules that it gives me. In fact, it falls apart when I try to exploit the rules.

The reason I'm loving Valkyria Chronicles is that it looks like it's finally taking some cues from the mechanics of Western tactical games, and marrying it with a really fresh and well-done aesthetic and setting (based on World War II no less). It's a decidely Japanese take on Western tactical games, and I love it. It's basically all I could ever ask for in a game.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Geeze, this game is really making me want a PS3.

Unfortunately I have no income these days so...damn.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Geeze, this game is really making me want a PS3.

Unfortunately I have no income these days so...damn.

(waves hand across your face)
    These aren't the droids you're looking for.

You can afford a PS3.

And you won't vote republican... the rest of the world is counting on you.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I voted for Obama in the primaries, I sure as hell am going to vote for him in election.

But, more on topic. I guess I can just ask for a PS3 for christmas.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I voted for Obama in the primaries, I sure as hell am going to vote for him in election.

But, more on topic. I guess I can just ask for a PS3 for christmas.

highfivetk9.jpg

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That is my favoritest t-shirt to wear out in public.

It always gets tremendously positive feedback.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    *sigh* This kind of makes me wish I had a PS3. I haven't played a decent console SRPG(no I don't like Disgaea) in a long time, and this one actually looks pretty good.

Guess I'll stick to Tactics A2 for now.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Disgaea is really great from a story perspective, as most of it is super funny. But I never really dug it as a strategy game. It had too many ways to break the game, too many ways to make fighting your enemies completely pointless because of how strong you are. I know that this is the point of the game, but it has never really appealed to me.

You see, I'm madly in love with strategy games. I'm not so good at chess or Go, but I do try and study them if I have time. I especially love strategy games with a World War II bent. I spent an entire summer trying to understand Advanced Squad Leader. I love the Combat Mission and Close Combat games. I also really like Jagged Alliance 2, though it's not set in WWII.

The common thing about these games is that their mechanics are built in a way that, first and foremost, makes you think, I mean really think, about strategy and tactics. The thing I like about them is that they allow you to tackle and solve problems in a realistic way. Flanking, suppressive fire, bounding overwatch, fire and maneuver, mobile defenses, stealth and camouflage, all are possible solutions made intuitive because this is what would happen in real life. The game asks you to exploit these because if you don't you die.

The reason I don't like Disgaea from a mechanics perspective isn't because it isn't realistic, but because its mechanics doesn't allow for sound tactical thinking in battle if I try to exploit the rules that it gives me. In fact, it falls apart when I try to exploit the rules.

The reason I'm loving Valkyria Chronicles is that it looks like it's finally taking some cues from the mechanics of Western tactical games, and marrying it with a really fresh and well-done aesthetic and setting (based on World War II no less). It's a decidely Japanese take on Western tactical games, and I love it. It's basically all I could ever ask for in a game.

Disgaea was, imo one of the worst things to happen to SRPGs in a long time. Its a good game in its own right, don't get me wrong, but since its technically an SRPG and achieved such success many people and more importantly developers have started to equate SRPGS with..well, disgaea-esque games where all the strategy has been removed, and replaced with pointless grind :|

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just played Valkyria Chronicles demo along with Trusty Bell's demo... PS3 finally feel "Japanese".

Anyone know what pre-order bonus I will get for per ordering in US?

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.