As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valkyria Chronicles hype thread - Very, very simply one of the best games this year

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    firekiun wrote: »
    I just played Valkyria Chronicles demo along with Trusty Bell's demo... PS3 finally feel "Japanese".

Anyone know what pre-order bonus I will get for per ordering in US?

I believe EBstop in the states nets you an art book - and with a game this pretty, that ain't too shabby. Lucky bastards. Up here when we preorder, we get a reciept.

Also, what the hell is Trusty Bell?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    firekiun wrote: »
    I just played Valkyria Chronicles demo along with Trusty Bell's demo... PS3 finally feel "Japanese".

Anyone know what pre-order bonus I will get for per ordering in US?

I believe EBstop in the states nets you an art book - and with a game this pretty, that ain't too shabby. Lucky bastards. Up here when we preorder, we get a reciept.

Also, what the hell is Trusty Bell?

Japanese name for Eternal Sonata. It comes out next week for PS3.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And if you preorder through Amazon (in the US), you get an exclusive

crb294037.jpgX 3

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    geestackgeestack Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Glad to see the hype thread is in full motion! Keep it up chance

(yes this is a shameless post to keep the thread at the top)

geestack on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    good demo. i think there's a bit too much coming up for me to buy it immediately, but it's a fun game and something i'll look forward to grabbing when i'm need of some retail therapy on a slow weekend after all the big stuff has come and gone

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    geestack wrote: »
    Glad to see the hype thread is in full motion! Keep it up chance

(yes this is a shameless post to keep the thread at the top)

Wooo! The thread will not die!

I dunno about you, but I was pissed when I slapped together that Bayonetta thread and it shot up to like 9 pages in a day, thanks to CGI crotch shots controversey (and not its remarkable pedigree).

It's like "guys! Over here! This game is out in two weeks and it actually looks incredibly high-quality! It's not even hypothetical! It's real, come look!

I even mentioned this thread in that thread's OP, but Alas, with no gratuitous crotch shots of Alicia (yet), we must do things the old fashioned way. With sigs and overzealous pimping.

edit: bsjezz, you tried the demo and admitted it was good - that's all I ask.

Chance on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Told a friend about this game, his response was basicly "pssh, its a Sega game what was the last thing they did good?"

Reminded him it was an RPG and brought up shinning force and Skies of Arcadia. But I think the foul odor of most of segas recent releases may scare off potential buyers. Even though this looks to be a big turn around for them.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the only other sega game i've played this gen was sega rally and that's bloody great

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you put something about crotch shots in this thread's title I'm sure many more people will click on it.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    the only other sega game i've played this gen was sega rally and that's bloody great

Honestly AC4 was fantastic too but got sub par reviews and this guy puts way too much stock in those little numbers. Technicly that was only published by sega too.

But the critisim about the PS3/xbox sonic and quite a few of they're other action type games of late have been well founded in my experience.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Malechai wrote: »
    Told a friend about this game, his response was basicly "pssh, its a Sega game what was the last thing they did good?"

Reminded him it was an RPG and brought up shinning force and Skies of Arcadia. But I think the foul odor of most of segas recent releases may scare off potential buyers. Even though this looks to be a big turn around for them.

I was pondering this the other day - between this and the fact that they're now publishing Platinum Games Inc's upcoming releases, Sega seems to have adopted a two-pronged approach:

Prong 1: distribute new, compelling original properties.

Prong 2: drive all our classic brands right into the fucking ground.

Admittedly, this is a much more ambitious approach than the old single-prong (2), which was pretty much used for fucking Sonic in the ass.

At least Virtua Fighter's quality has only improved.

Also: tell your friend to try the demo. Just try the demo.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Malechai wrote: »

I was pondering this the other day - between this and the fact that they're now publishing Platinum Games Inc's upcoming releases, Sega seems to have adopted a two-pronged approach:

Prong 1: distribute new, compelling original properties.

Prong 2: drive all our classic brands right into the fucking ground.

Admittedly, this is a much more ambitious approach than the old single-prong (2), which was pretty much used for fucking Sonic in the ass.

At least Virtua Fighter's quality has only improved.

Also: tell your friend to try the demo. Just try the demo.

Would but he lacks the cash for a ps3 as of now.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I even mentioned this thread in that thread's OP, but Alas, with no gratuitous crotch shots of Alicia (yet)

This is hard to believe. The game demo lets Alicia (with her short skirt) crouch down. Not only that, but the full game has grassy levels where you can make her crawl. What's takin so long guys...

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    That poor Valkyria-less fool >.< well, $400 is hardly chicken feed.

Chance on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I even mentioned this thread in that thread's OP, but Alas, with no gratuitous crotch shots of Alicia (yet)

This is hard to believe. The game demo lets Alicia (with her short skirt) crouch down. Not only that, but the full game has grassy levels where you can make her crawl. What's takin so long guys...

I'm pretty sure I've ever come across a vid on Nico where the player found a camera angle that lets you see her panties.
    Dark blue

Maybe you could use this pic of Selvaria to catch people's attenton.
    15384a49.jpg

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys are jerks! With all your signatures making me want this game!

Jerks! Jerks! Jerks!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    You guys are jerks! With all your signatures making me want this game!

Jerks! Jerks! Jerks!

Judging from the demo, it’s a really fun and interesting game. You should buy it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, just from the videos I know I want the game. It's just a don't have a PS3, money issue.

I guess the real question for me is, do you think it will still be on store shelves by Christmas? 'Cause, it seems a rather niche title.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was already planning on picking this one up but now you guys tell me there is a demo for this out. I'm all over downloading this tonight.

RawrBear on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, just from the videos I know I want the game. It\'s just a don\'t have a PS3, money issue.

I guess the real question for me is, do you think it will still be on store shelves by Christmas? \'Cause, it seems a rather niche title.

NOPE GO BUY IT NOW

Six on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm more interested in this than the spate of action-oriented titles this fall, so it's on my "buy" list (although I usually don't pre-order anything until the last few weeks, in case I change my mind).

Quick question for those who have played the demo -- is the strategy open, or are you limited to a pretty set path for completing a level (forcing you to figure out what the "right way" is to play it)?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It depends what you mean by "open". The skirmish battle in the demo is just "clear this open ground, cross this bridge, reach the enemy flag and take their base", but you're relatively free to experiment however you wish within those limitations (what number of troops to use, how fast or how slow to go about it within the time limit, who to move forward and who to leave behind, etc.).

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There's a time limit? Drat, I guess that makes sense, I just like to play rather slowly in these kinds of games.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I tried the demo, and while I like the game I'm not sure it's something I'd enjoy. SRPGs just aren't for me...

For instance, I never actually finished the skirmish because every time one of my soldiers died I'd restart. I am like this with Advance Wars and FFT, too. So much so that I can't enjoy the genre because of it. It doesn't help that everyone has a name and a face and a character in Valkyria.

I keep thinking "NO, there MUST be a better way" and it gets in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You guys were getting your dudes killed?

How...how do you do that?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Eh, it's not impossible - I finished it first time no hassle, but then the second time when I was showing it off to someone I ran from one sandbag wall to the next and an enemy sniper got me in one shot. I almost dropped the controller.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Eh, it's not impossible - I finished it first time no hassle, but then the second time when I was showing it off to someone I ran from one sandbag wall to the next and an enemy sniper got me in one shot. I almost dropped the controller.

Woah, that's pretty raw.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I say sniper, I didn't see precisely who did it (other than it obviously not being the tank :D) - do the enemy even have snipers in the demo? But yes, it's an easy mission, but not one where it's impossible to take casualties.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's a time limit? Drat, I guess that makes sense, I just like to play rather slowly in these kinds of games.

I didn't even realize there was a time limit, and I play these games pretty slowly myself.

It was pretty fun to hide my tank and set up all my characters right next to each other. Only one of the approaching enemies were able to get close enough to shoot back before my firing line mowed them down, and since all of your nearby allies shoot with you on your own attack turn...yeah, he didn't live much longer.

I know that tactic will be mostly garbage in the real game when the enemy is using more nades and the like, but it was still awesome to set up and watch.

edit: There's no enemy snipers, but you were probably headshotted.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Quick question for those who have played the demo -- is the strategy open, or are you limited to a pretty set path for completing a level (forcing you to figure out what the "right way" is to play it)?

It depends what you mean by "open". The skirmish battle in the demo is just "clear this open ground, cross this bridge, reach the enemy flag and take their base", but you're relatively free to experiment however you wish within those limitations (what number of troops to use, how fast or how slow to go about it within the time limit, who to move forward and who to leave behind, etc.).

Yep, there's any number of ways you can win the skirmish in the demo. If, for example, you take 2 (or 3) turns and kill every single motherfucker in the level, you'll get Rank C, and a little more XP than if you had simply blitzed around the battlefield with Alicia/Wavy and tapped the flag (in one turn, for an A rating).

There is a 'right' way to play the level, but only in that there are requirements for maxing your xp/dct earned. How you meet those requirements is up to you.

There's no time limit, but there is a turn limit. You have to beat the demo in 20 'player phases'. Each player phase grants you ... I think it's 7 command points in the demo, so that's a helluva lotta' moves.

And yeah Renzo, it's easy to get a team member killed in the demo. Just run Marina within 50 yards of anyone who can see her. Glass cannon indeed.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I say sniper, I didn't see precisely who did it (other than it obviously not being the tank :D) - do the enemy even have snipers in the demo?
    Nope.
    But yes, it's an easy mission, but not one where it's impossible to take casualties.
    Totally. I wish we could up the difficulty though.

Chance on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just looked up a video of a mission in NicoNico and it plays pretty much like I expected it too. It was a real intense mission too.

The Gallians were protecting a well entrenched position on the southwest side of the map with an infantry squad of 6 individuals. The enemy force consisted of ten infantrymen and three armored cars converging on the position in an eastern and northeastern direction, with on-call fire support from an artillery piece situated on the far northeast. The catch here being that the Gallians had a heavy tank, but was on the northernmost part of the map.

It was obvious the game gave you a choice of either neutralizing the artillery piece first or flanking and rolling up the assaulting force with the tank. The player chose the latter. He made some rookie mistakes, like not maintaining fire concentration on the closest enemy units, bringing only one anti-tank unit (there was a briefing that showed enemy force composition), and not moving the tank for two turns, but he turned out okay despite continued, though inaccurate, artillery barrages.

From what I could tell, they're really emphasizing the importance of cover. As far as I could tell, the hitpoints of infantrymen on both sides were largely the same. The defenders had sandbag and slit trench defenses that made most incoming fire ineffective, except for armored car shells.

All in all, because of that video, I now love this game. Man, I wish this came out on the PC. With the graphics, and the potential for Close Combat-ish battles, the mods coming out of this could be great.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Huh. Well, I've only played the demo once. I guess I got lucky. Marina always softened up the enemy first

Renzo on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    You guys were getting your dudes killed?

How...how do you do that?

Well the first thing I did was "cool, scout! how far can she run?" and I ran to the right. Machine gunner saw her and took her down in one blast. I was getting a feel for just how weak the scouts were, how strong the machine gunners were, how strong the rocket soldiers were, etc.

Although I do wonder what the benefit of the scouts are if they're so easily killed and I can already see the whole map. What am I scouting, exactly?

Also I guess I'm just not good at these types of games. I'm not a brilliant strategic mastermind like Renzo here.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    darksteel - link us this vid? ;o

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I just think it's funny because normally I play games in the most ham-fisted way possible. Imagine The Hulk with a controller in his hands, but of course much smaller because I'm a video game nerd. I avoid any and all strategy games because I'm just naturally horrible at them.

But I guess Valkyrie Chronicles is the one exception?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    darksteel - link us this vid? ;o

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4920684

Video of the first part of the battle. Unfortunately, I don't think you can watch Nico Video unless you have an account.

EDIT: Fuck, no embedding, and yeah can't watch the video unless you have an account. Also, so you can more easily understand what I was talking about:

valkyria.jpg

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Holy shit, this game gets better every time I search videos for it. Apparently, in between battles I would assume, there is even a "research and development" area you can access in the menu which allows you to develop better weapons for your infantry and vehicles, like X-COM! The tech tree even has branching paths for specialization, I think.

Even more, there's an option to train your troops with a cost. My minimal knowledge of kanji just about failed me at this point, but I did read that training your "totsugeki hei" (assault infantry) will increase their "potential", whatever that means.

Link to the video for those who have accounts: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm4920362

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So rank is based on the number of turns? I was wondering about that since I thought I played pretty well and ended up getting a D.

Six on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Research trees?

Ok, maybe this went from a buy eventually to buy the day it drops.

Six on