As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GRID: I came. [NSF56k] **IT'S OUT!**

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The online is pretty fun, shame you have to play with other people though :(

Rook on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It is very arcade like. Even turning off all assists, it is very forgiving. It has full G25 support, but completely ignores the clutch, and the transmission has no weight. You can jam it into first and get no wheel spin, or damage to the transmission at all. Beside all that, it is still pretty fun to play.

stigweard on
  • homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i think people are going into this the wrong way. it's not meant for the GT and Forza crowd. it's pretty much pure arcade fun.

I'm having an incredible amount of fun perfecting my lap time on the American muscle car track.

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am really shit at this game, I mean really, really shit. I'm kinda crappy when it comes to racing games anyway but this demo is crushing my will to live.
    Me too. I suck so bad I got lapped twice in multiplayer (the 7 laps European track.). :(

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I am really shit at this game, I mean really, really shit. I'm kinda crappy when it comes to racing games anyway but this demo is crushing my will to live.
    Me too. I suck so bad I got lapped twice in multiplayer (the 7 laps European track.). :(

lmao, that sucks. I'm going to try it tonight. Should be fun, I just want to crash shit really. Can't watch the videos here from work though which sucks

Dixon on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I did not really enjoy this demo. The controls felt off, and because the damage is "the star" of the game, it's all about crashing rather than clean racing.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I did not really enjoy this demo. The controls felt off, and because the damage is "the star" of the game, it's all about crashing rather than clean racing.

Yeah, i had a very brief play of it earlier, but the urge to total my car was much higher than enjoying the fun on clean racing.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GRID + Burnout = ???

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I gave this a whirl earlier tonight. It took me a few go-rounds to get the hang of it, but once I did the driving was kinda fun. It's a bit more drifty than a true sim game would be, but I found it a lot more enjoyable than any PGR game. The in-car views are particularly good too, probably the best I've seen in a game so far. (I haven't played GT5-P)
    I'm curious to see how the main game is structured, since that will affect my enjoyment quite a bit. I guess right now I'm gonna give it a rent, see how it plays when it's all said and done.

The Deliverator on
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would have liked this if the AI Wasn't complete bullshit. Try to overtake a car and they fucking nudged me causing me spin out of control and causing a huge pile up every single time.

The Rocking M on
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I tried this out last night on PS3...and loved it! The fact that the game can call you by your first name is a nice touch. It's basically "DiRT...now with more pavement!" and that's more or less exactly what I was wanting out of it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    brynstar wrote: »
    I tried this out last night on PS3...and loved it! The fact that the game can call you by your first name is a nice touch. It's basically "DiRT...now with more pavement!" and that's more or less exactly what I was wanting out of it.

My name wasn't in there, not in girls or boys.. so I just had them call me boss :(

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
    edited May 2008
    I would have liked this if the AI Wasn't complete bullshit. Try to overtake a car and they fucking nudged me causing me spin out of control and causing a huge pile up every single time.

I think GRID really has done what codemasters wanted and brought in a decent racing experience. Pretty much every other racing game has relied on the same late breaking into corner/using other cars as crash barriers and Grid doesn't really let you do that. If a car behind you is nudging you, you've probably not pulled off a good racing overtake. You need to be careful you don't just cut across someone's racing line but make sure you get a clean pass as much as possible.

Rook on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i wish the racing games these days moved away from the current world tracks and onto just some roads that exist... like highway 1 from San Fran to LA... or the back road in Maui... or even some backroads hick village stuff in the midwest or some of the unused top gear tracks. TLDR: i dont want tracks i want existing roads around the world

looks great though

Barcardi on
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i think i played GT5:P too much as i really can't get used to the physics or something in this game, especially with the steering wheel

Mangaroo on
    edited May 2008
    Barcardi wrote: »
    i wish the racing games these days moved away from the current world tracks and onto just some roads that exist... like highway 1 from San Fran to LA... or the back road in Maui... or even some backroads hick village stuff in the midwest or some of the unused top gear tracks. TLDR: i dont want tracks i want existing roads around the world

looks great though

Test Drive: Unlimited? Gives you an entire island. Hopefully they'll make a sequelsometime soon.

Rook on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »

looks great though

Test Drive: Unlimited? Gives you an entire island. Hopefully they'll make a sequelsometime soon.

its a start, yea, but i wanna see a sequel that has more islands or some of Europe

Barcardi on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong.

And I was wrong.

I tinkered around with the graphical settings, as well as some control settings, and I'm getting the hang of it now. Had to dial in my wheel just right, but now I'm enjoying it.

Just took me some time to get the controls right for me.

The future is getting brighter again. ;)

citizen059 on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I finally played this demo last night, as my steering wheel got here in the mail a couple of days ago.

It's incredibly fun!

At first, the controls did feel jerky and unresponsive at the same time--the game would interpret the slightest steering input as a serious yank of the wheel, but it would take a brief moment for me to realize it--so I was sliding and crashing within seconds of starting around the course. But after I added a 5% steering wheel deadzone and switched to the in-cockpit view I quickly fell in love with the game. Man, it's gorgeous. Even the menu screens blew me away.

I spent over an hour and a half trying to beat the Codemasters lap time on the BMW time trial. I got within .09 seconds but never did match it.

Captain K on
  • Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The demo impressed me a lot, but why the drifting? I mean, it's not racing, it's showing off.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ive never heard anything of DiRt, that's an impressive trailer though. In-car view might be better than pgr, either way I'm just glad that dashboard views are catching on. If a racing game wants me to even consider playing it, it needs an in car view. Only exception is GTA, although I was pissed about that not having a dashboard view either.

Sam on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Played the demo. If nothing else, the presentation is fucking top-notch. I really really liked the classy menus in DIRT, and the 'meta' menus and signs (the position when you start the race is a great touch) just impressed me all the more. Can't really compare the driving to anything else since I don't play many racers, but I wasn't too fond of the slipperyness of the cars (do real race cars steer that much?).

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wish someone would make a racer like Maximum Tune except with less generic arcade-ness and better presentation than those lazy Japanese coders seem to put in.

Sam on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I played the demo, enjoyed it quite a bit at first it took some time getting use to. It handles weird comparaed to any other racer I've played so that was a bit odd. But physics and graphics were top notch. Also the prince of persia styled rewind thing is pretty neat

Dixon on
  • teeuwenteeuwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The demo is really good, the only mode i didn't really like was the drifting mode.... i mean it's cool and all, but i really hope that you don't have to do the drifting events to finish the actual game. The ebay mustang race in san fran is awsome, i found i had to raise the difficulty all the way up to make it more competitive, but it also made it a lot more fun.

teeuwen on
  • AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Played the demo. If nothing else, the presentation is fucking top-notch. I really really liked the classy menus in DIRT, and the 'meta' menus and signs (the position when you start the race is a great touch) just impressed me all the more. Can't really compare the driving to anything else since I don't play many racers, but I wasn't too fond of the slipperyness of the cars (do real race cars steer that much?).

I agree, one thing codemasters can do very well is make an impressive interface. I'm not sure what to compare the racing style to but it's certainly very arcadish. I'm not very fond of the way the cars control either. I'm going to pass on GRID.

And no real race cars don't steer like that.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The driving physics aren't very realistic, but to me they're still challenging and fun--it takes a lot of practice to drift through a hairpin turn at a fast clip, and you feel like a real badass when you pull it off.

I'm still not sure if I'm gonna buy this game, but I had a blast with the demo last night.

Captain K on
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I downloaded the demo, I loved the graphics and general presentation but I hated the driving. Not really my cup of tea so I'll leave it to all of you guys to enjoy.

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
    edited May 2008
    Try turning all the driving aids off, does improve things a lot.

Rook on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Didn't get round to downloading the demo last time I was home, but the impressive reviews will mean the demo will get a run when I get back.

I'm definitely a driving fan of all sorts from Burnout Paradise to GT5P (hell, I bought a Logitech G25 just for it! :P), and I'm looking for my next fix after I pretty much finished Burnout (yeah, not doing EVERY race to get the Elite lisence...) and got a frustrated with the GT5P broken progression system, so this could fill the slot nicely :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    The driving physics aren't very realistic

Actually, I found the acceleration through turns to be really realistic, actually. At least on rear wheel drive cars with gobs of power. They break loose quite easily.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    First driving game I've liked in a reallllyyy long time.. but I still don't think I'll buy it as I just can never seem to convince myself to buy a driving game. :x I just really liked the 'feel' of the driving and the menus.

I'll definitely rent it though. Oh, and I love how the cam follows the car, it just seems better somehow.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, has anyone mentioned that since this looks like a direct followup to dirt, it's likely using the same engine dirt used, which is a free (open source?) engine?

Pretty goddamn awesome for a free engine.

Polago on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    From the IGN review..
    So they dusted off the DiRT's groundbreaking engine, renamed it Ego and used it as the framework for an entirely new project: Grid, ..
    Yup, same engine but I have no idea about it being open source.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
    edited May 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    From the IGN review..
    So they dusted off the DiRT's groundbreaking engine, renamed it Ego and used it as the framework for an entirely new project: Grid, ..
    Yup, same engine but I have no idea about it being open source.

It was talked about quite openly at GDC. The engine is called the Phyre Engine and has been used for flow on PS3 and...something else I can't remember. It can compile to PC and PS3, and is very easy to use with 360, and to say it again, it's free. The problem is the process for obtaining the license, which if you've ever tried to do before you know what hell it can be.

Insomniac also released a set of game libraries for free as well (the nocturnal library?), though those are similar to the MS games assets being released for public use in that it's for non commercial (education/recreational) uses only.

Hopefully I didn't screw any of that up. If you want to look for yourself give it a search on google and you'll find the official sites.

Polago on
  • SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Like some other posters in this thread I gave the demo a go and found the handling to be a bit difficult to get the hang of. It seems to be the same problem I had with DIRT, you have to do about half of your steering with the accelerator. Anyways, after reading this thread I gave it another go and I'm completely turned around. I think what helped the most was turning of the braking and traction assistance. The cars are a lot more 'controlable' once you've done that. I will definately be buying this when I comes out.

SkullOmania on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm tempted to get either this or Forza 2. I'm interested in the in the intense realism of Forza, but I know absolutely nothing about it or whether I would actually like it or not :S

Demos were pretty cool for both

Zenitram on
  • SkullOmaniaSkullOmania Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If it's a choice between the two I'd have to recommend Forza 2 - there's just some much content there and it's so technically accomplished. But I would think you could get Forza for pretty cheap these days, so why not pick up both?

SkullOmania on
    edited May 2008
    Zenitram wrote: »
    I'm tempted to get either this or Forza 2. I'm interested in the in the intense realism of Forza, but I know absolutely nothing about it or whether I would actually like it or not :S

Demos were pretty cool for both

Forza 2 is actually the sim racer that got me seriously into sim racers (after playing all the Gran Turismos and other racers), so yeah i'd say it's pretty good quality. :D

That's just one dude's perspective though.

Polago on
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The wealth of options, races, vehicles, customization, etc present in the Forza / GT series has always amazed me. It's always seemed to awesome and like it'd be tons of fun for many many hours.

I play them once and get horrifically bored, the racing just never seems fun or fast or enjoyable. Even in the super race cars I have to slow down to 4 MPH to take a turn and the turns come every 9 seconds so it's like I never get to speed up and just go hauling ass down the road in an intense race.

Which isn't to say the games aren't amazing, it's just that my preferences usually lead to those games being boring... though I am making an effort to learn Forza 2 and am slowly growing into it.

The point of all that, though, is to say that I found this game to be AMAZINGLY fun to play online. My roommate (22 year old female that doesn't play video games) also found it a ton of fun and kept fighting over the wheel.

Playing it with the official MS wheel, and with the ridiculous surround sound cranked way too loud and racing with the in-car view its amazingly immersive, fast, intense, and ridiculous.

I love the game. I'll probably buy it.

Karrmer on