As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

GRID: I came. [NSF56k] **IT'S OUT!**

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    939160_20080303_screen009.jpg

You can tell you've played too much gta 4 when you look at this screenshot and start trying to work out where and how you can plow into the crowd and cause the most damage.

Dissociater on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I found the demo to be extremely "Meh" all the cars handle like the track is covered in ice, and the drifting was like being on ice using butter instead of tires, (I hate drift races anyway). Its pretty but not as pretty as Gran Turismo, and while the damage is nice, coupled with the handling it was more annoying (and I like Formula 1 games where damage is usually instant death).

Not for me.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's sad, that means the controls are essentially identical to DiRT.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    I found the demo to be extremely "Meh" all the cars handle like the track is covered in ice

I do not feel the same way, except maybe on the drifting parts

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does this demo have the rewind time thing in it?

Rook on
    edited May 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Does this demo have the rewind time thing in it?

Yep, you can go back in time if you mess up or something a few times per race

Kaseius on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wow, after playing the demo I am very confused.

The two races were great. They felt a lot like TOCA 2 (never played 3). The damage modeling was cool, they looked good, and after a little practice and track memorizing it was a lot of fun.

The drifting event, however, was absolute, 200 proof shit.

Two thirds of a good game is better then no game at all, right?

chamberlain on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    That's sad, that means the controls are essentially identical to DiRT.

I found the handleing to be very simular. Which felt really wrong as this is a tarmac racer.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just wanted to chime in that as a huge Forza Motorsport 2 fan this game is not a sim racer. It's definitely somewhere in between Forza 2 and PGR4. I found the cars much more drivable than in PGR4.

The presentation is top notch. It's actually kind of fun hearing your crew chief call you by name.

The graphics are just as good as the bullshots we saw. Bravo Codemasters.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    finally. something to give GT5-P's NFS boy racers something to crash.

Mangaroo on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't played any 360 racers yet--should this be the one I go for?

I love super-realism a la Gran Turismo, and I also like more forgiving "realistic" racers, such as Rallisport Challenge. I've not played either of the Forza games.

Watching that trailer filled me with desire. I want to go buy a 360 racing wheel (which one should I get?) and some racing game. Gimme advice?

Captain K on
    edited May 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

I love super-realism a la Gran Turismo, and I also like more forgiving "realistic" racers, such as Rallisport Challenge. I've not played either of the Forza games.

Watching that trailer filled me with desire. I want to go buy a 360 racing wheel (which one should I get?) and some racing game. Gimme advice?

I would just get Forza 2, it's $29.99 used now. It's the deepest racing game I've ever played and the online community is still really strong a year after release.

The MS Wireless Wheel is great, if you don't mind wires the Logitech DriveFX is also good.

GRID is a fun game but nowhere near super-realism.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I would just get Forza 2, it's $29.99 used now. It's the deepest racing game I've ever played and the online community is still really strong a year after release.

That, and it's fucking incredible. I have a deep-seeded love for the Forza series, and I'd gladly call Forza 2 the best racing sim ever made.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited May 2008
    If it can capture my attention the way Gran Turismo 3 did, then it's probably worth $30.

Anybody feel like comparing the two racing wheels mentioned before I commit to a purchase? I'm tempted to go with the Logitech wheel, because wires means no battery changing and (possibly) better force feedback. How do the pedals feel with each one?

Captain K on
    edited May 2008
    If it can capture my attention the way Gran Turismo 3 did, then it's probably worth $30.

Anybody feel like comparing the two racing wheels mentioned before I commit to a purchase? I'm tempted to go with the Logitech wheel, because wires means no battery changing and (possibly) better force feedback. How do the pedals feel with each one?

The pedals are about the same, there are a couple keep differences with the wheels themselves. The Logitech wheel feels more sturdy, but doesn't have the lap mount the MS wheel has. It needs something to attach to, I use a TV tray.

They both provide some level of force feedback (you can feel your tires slipping, the wheel turns when the car is forcing a certain direction, etc) The MS wheel uses MS technology to provide force feedback while the Logitech wheel uses rumble to provide force feedback. They feel different, but both provide you with some sense of what your car is doing.

The Logitech wheel has hardware sensitivity settings (so it can be used more effectively for games like DiRT, PGR4, GRID) though every game has built in sensitivity settings that you can adjust somewhat.

I mostly went with the Logitech because I found it on sale last Thanksgiving for $39. I've used both and it really just came down to price for me. This was when the MS wheel was still $130.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I understand it's arcade racing, but it doesn't even feel like I'm driving a car. Definitely giving this one a pass.

Fats on
  • homargoodnesshomargoodness Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fats wrote: »
    I understand it's arcade racing, but it doesn't even feel like I'm driving a car. Definitely giving this one a pass.

Even if Gran Turismo and Forza both bore the pants off me and i long for the days of classic ridge racer?

(i hate sims)

homargoodness on
    homarg00dness.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As much as I like racing games of all creeds, I think GT5P, Burnout Paradise and Wipeout really have me covered in terms of realism and arcade racing. If this goes about trying to bridge that gap between the first two, and not just be a pretty arcade racer, I'll probably be interested however :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008
    Rook on
  • AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'd recommend PGR4, it's fairly realistic but more forgiving than Gran Turismo and Forza. Theres a demo for both on the marketplace.

I just tried out the demo for Grid. I like the interface and how you can select your name so it refers to you when speaking. The controls seem pretty tight and reponsive and the car damage looks great but also effects control of the car which i'm not sure if I like that or not even though it's more realistic.

I like it so far but am not sold on it yet. I think i'll wait to try Midnight Club:LA before deciding what racer to buy next.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am really shit at this game, I mean really, really shit. I'm kinda crappy when it comes to racing games anyway but this demo is crushing my will to live.

MarvellousM on
  • SkajmeSkajme Manchester, UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does anybody else feel like the games in fast forward whilst playing?

I was quite looking forward to this game, as i used to love the old TOCA series.
    After playing the demo though, i doubt i'll be picking it up at all except maybe rental at some point =[

Skajme on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, it was announced that Codemasters has picked up the exclusive license to make Formula 1 games now.

Good news: No more playstation-only if you want an official F1 game
    Bad news (maybe): They're going to use the same game engine they're using here for GRID.

Time will tell I guess.

citizen059 on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Downloading the demo now. How are the physics in the game? What about input devices, does it support the G25?

stigweard on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wait, since when has gt ever been super realistic?

smashing into other cars to take a corner is the exact opposite of realistic.

Angry on
  • mescalitomescalito Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Also, it was announced that Codemasters has picked up the exclusive license to make Formula 1 games now.

Good news: No more playstation-only if you want an official F1 game
    Bad news (maybe): They're going to use the same game engine they're using here for GRID.

Time will tell I guess.

They are using the same engine, as it is the only one they have.

I'm a big fan of racing games - and I think I will pick this one up to kill time until at least Test Drive Unlimited 2 or Forza 3 comes out (whenever that may be).

The presentation + graphics overshadows the physics problem - it's nothing you couldn't adapt to anyway. No biggie.

mescalito on
    XBL: jawb0x
    edited May 2008
    Angry wrote: »

GT's engine just doesn't model collision very well.

It never really bothered me--my favorite way to play a realistic racer is to hop in a car on a track by myself and try to get the hottest lap possible.

Captain K on
    edited May 2008
    Angry wrote: »

GT's engine just doesn't model collision very well.

It never really bothered me--my favorite way to play a realistic racer is to hop in a car on a track by myself and try to get the hottest lap possible.

Ditto. The most annoying kind of race GT5P presents is "overtake 15 cars in a single lap" events. The crazy crap you have to do in order to accomplish that would get you black flagged so fast. I'm all about lines and lap-times in simulations, and thats where GT5P really excels (except when you're bumping into walls if you mess up :P).

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I downloaded the PS3 version of the demo, but I haven't installed it. DiRT ran better on PS3, and I loved that game... (didn't Sony help make this engine?) so I'm curious to try this. I should really get on that.

EDIT: Ah, yes they did http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_Engine

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love Grid, except when I join in multiplayer. I left Forza and PGR4 because I couldn't stand the online community full of morons that don't understand why brake exists and this is worse in GRID. Almost every race seems like I'm driving on the highway on Christmas Eve and a few drinks.

Why can't a single developer make a good online racing game where idiots are punished?

MarkyX on
  • TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am really liking this game. It's beautiful -- I can't play any racing game < 60fps. Also, the old Colin McRae rally games are my all-time favorite (that and Microsoft's first RalliSport Challenge for a different feel) racing games.

This game has is almost a rally-on-concrete but not quite. Overall, really love this style of driving and makes me miss my Subaru. *sniffle*

It's also got probably the most exciting replays I've seen. Thumbs up!

Timmer on
    edited May 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I'm all about lines and lap-times in simulations, and thats where GT5P really excels (except when you're bumping into walls if you mess up :P).

Heh, even if the game doesn't model damage, I just assume that the slightest collison would rip my car to shreds and call that lap a waste. On to the next one!

Captain K on
    edited May 2008
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I'm all about lines and lap-times in simulations, and thats where GT5P really excels (except when you're bumping into walls if you mess up :P).

Heh, even if the game doesn't model damage, I just assume that the slightest collison would rip my car to shreds and call that lap a waste. On to the next one!

Except if you understeer in the last corner on the highspeed ring :x Two perfectly good laps going to waste then haha.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • EncynerateEncynerate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, anybody else here restart a race 9 times in order to finish it without crashing? Please don't tell me I'm the only one.

Encynerate on
    2313174949_709cdc5d01_o.jpg
    Knob wrote:
    ps you spelled incinerate wrong
    edited May 2008
    Encynerate wrote: »
    So, anybody else here restart a race 9 times in order to finish it without crashing? Please don't tell me I'm the only one.

Yeah, for the very first race I did, until I got a handle on the controls and played a bit more cautiously

Kaseius on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wanted to like this, I really really did.

But I just can't. The driving physics feel like such a major step backward from TOCA Race Driver 3. I spent many, many hours playing TRD2 and TRD3 and had an incredible amount of fun with both of them. TRD3 felt like the perfect blend of arcade and sim...just enough sim to keep you honest, but mostly arcade so you could jump in and play.

GRID looks amazing, just like DiRT did. But I hate the physics, just like I did with DiRT.

The fact that they're planning to use this game engine for their newly-acquired FIA F1 license fills me with despair.

citizen059 on
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The graphics are just ok. What really sells it to me is the frame rate.

Guess I'll go install the demo now to see the rest.

ze swift class on
    edited May 2008
    I can see what everyone else says about the handling, it feels really wrong.

Rook on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Compared the two versions today, both are pretty but (not to start wars...please please don't) the 360 has MUCH better AA. I've read it's 2xAA for PS3 and 4xAA for 360. There are jaggies on the friggin' menu.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Agent--006Agent--006 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I wanted to like this, I really really did.

But I just can't. The driving physics feel like such a major step backward from TOCA Race Driver 3. I spent many, many hours playing TRD2 and TRD3 and had an incredible amount of fun with both of them. TRD3 felt like the perfect blend of arcade and sim...just enough sim to keep you honest, but mostly arcade so you could jump in and play.

GRID looks amazing, just like DiRT did. But I hate the physics, just like I did with DiRT.

The fact that they're planning to use this game engine for their newly-acquired FIA F1 license fills me with despair.

Shame to hear that. I was really hoping for a decent F1 sim now that Sony no longer has the license to release their junk.

PS - I loved driving the Formula Fords in Toca 2. Great balance between sim and arcade, leaning slightly more towards sim.

Agent--006 on