As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Linking profiles on a 360 for Live?

ZeonZeon Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
So, i have a 360, and my roommate recently discovered gears of war, and has been playing it non-stop. He wants to start playing online, but wants to use his own profile to keep track of his save games and achievements and whatnot. On my profile ive already set up an Xbox live subscription, but for his, its not active.

Is there a way to link these so that both profiles on the same machine can use the Live account? Or do you really need to buy 2 separate Live subscriptions so both people can play?

btworbanner.jpg
Check out my band, click the banner.
Zeon on

• YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Zeon wrote: »
    So, i have a 360, and my roommate recently discovered gears of war, and has been playing it non-stop. He wants to start playing online, but wants to use his own profile to keep track of his save games and achievements and whatnot. On my profile ive already set up an Xbox live subscription, but for his, its not active.

Is there a way to link these so that both profiles on the same machine can use the Live account? Or do you really need to buy 2 separate Live subscriptions so both people can play?

Each profile needs it's own live account. Sucks.

YodaTuna on
  • ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well... bullshit :|

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As this thread is already here, I have a profile question. I owned a 360 2 years ago, set up a profile called Parkingtigers, then later on sold the console. Bought a new console recently, but without internet access I was unable to get my old Gamertag back. I've since gone on to rack up scores and game saves on this new, as yet unregistered tag.

I was wondering, when I get access to interwebs, would it be possible to recover my old Gamertag and merge it with the new tag that I have been using offline? Basically I would like to get my old Parkingtigers name back, as I use it across the net, but I really don't want to lose the stuff that I built up on my current tag (not least the 120 hours I put into Mass Effect). I know the answer is likely to be that I'll have to choose one or the other, in which case I'll keep my new one, but I would like to hope that a merger might be possible.

Oh yeah, and just to really make it impossible, the old tag was registered in the UK, the new one ... might not be, depending on circumstances.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    No, you can't merge gamertags.

Microsoft may be able to, technically, but I doubt they'd ever do that for anyone.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If the current tag isn't registered as a live tag yet, and is just a local offline tag, you might be able to. I don't know for sure though. If it is a silver tag, then you're boned.

edit: i just checked with an offline tag i had on my 360. There are no options that i could find for linking it to an existing XBL account.

The Deliverator on
  • ParkingtigersParkingtigers Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah well, didn't think so. I just wanted to take the name from the old tag, and the scores from the new (totally unregistered) one. Wonder if maybe I could somehow convince MS to just let go of the old tag so I could re-register the new tag with that name. I've heard they hold onto Gamertags for, well, forever though.

Parkingtigers on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] sig.gif