Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Anime/Video Game Purchasing Online

ScottScott Registered User
edited August 2007 in Ancient Forum Knowledge
Here's the deal - I was talking to Firu a little and we came to the conclusion that it would be a worthwhile endeavor to set up a sticky so that people know where they can buy their (mostly imported) anime and be sure that it's not a bootleg and that the studios ARE getting their due. This will be an open thread for a bit, so please contribute if you've ever had a good experience/been burned, and I'll add it to the sticky here.

Good Importers
www.yesasia.com
www.animenation.com
www.lik-sang.com
www.videogamedepot.com
www.cdjapan.co.jp

Known Bootleggers
www.discountanimedvd.com
www.animepavilion.com

Scott on
It allows for distinct communication of thoughts without causing confusion and constructs a common standard for such communication.

• QiQi Registered User
    edited August 2003
    www.animenmore.com -- delivery took a bit (3 weeks) because of re-stock
    www.gamemusic.com -- good shit

3083834.jpg
    Click to visit my deviantART page
  • FishbuFishbu Registered User
    edited September 2003
    Is deepdiscountdvd.com bootleg?

• xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User
    edited September 2003
    www.deepdiscountdvd.com is not bootleg. all region 1. Just bought my final Hellsing disc. Gotta love free shipping.

shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • LucitaniaLucitania Registered User
    edited September 2003
    damn, i was gonna buy from Discountanimedvd. figured they had to be legit since they've got boxsets. guess they just send you just the DVD's

Wanna Live Forever?
    meh, me either
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Registered User regular
    edited September 2003
  • firufiru Registered User, ClubPA
    edited September 2003
    So, I ordered some stuff from AnimeNation.com, and I feel the experience was somewhat mixed. Yes, they "had" what I wanted, but unfortunately it was not in stock, and this fact was not made evident at any point during purchase. They were, however, extremely good about keeping me informed of the fact that they had not, in fact, forgotten my order and would be getting me my stuff as soon as possible. Additionally, their estimate of wait time was fairly accurate. The items arrived in good condition via USPS. Overall, a B-, but keep in mind that this order may have just been an unfortunate confluence of errors.

mtdew wrote:
    I care enough to create an elaborately layered joke, but not enough to wrap that joke in a cow.
  • FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    edited October 2003
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited October 2003
    I've never had problems with www.animecastle.com

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2003
    I know that www.cherrysquare.com has decent selection and free shipping but I don't know if their bootleggers, anyone?

• Lurky McPostLurky McPost Registered User
    edited November 2003
    Lucitania wrote:
    damn, i was gonna buy from Discountanimedvd. figured they had to be legit since they've got boxsets. guess they just send you just the DVD's

They got boxes, and look flash enough, though I suspect there are many mistakes on the back covers that I can't read. In fact, I think its not even from the right movie.

• The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2003
    I'm thinking of importing some DVD's as a fair amount of anime series don't get U.K. releases (or if they do they take ages), but what I need to know is, will my P.C. play DVD's from outside the U.K. or do I need a region killer or some such?

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited November 2003
    It depends on your dvd-rom drive, I bought mine knowing it was multi-region, or had the capabilities to be multi-region, and then I use DVD Genie to change the region (PowerDVD only allows you to change the region 5 times).

This year, many more series have been released on Region 2, the more popular series are definitely now available on Region 2. Try http://www.play.com for Region 2 releases, they have a large anime selection. For Region 1 importers based in the UK, http://www.up1.co.uk are excellent. Both give good service and are definitely not bootleggers.

sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2003
    Interesting, I'll switch my DVD drive over to Region 1 encoding then, so I can watch them on my t.v via s-video cable and use my Xbox to play Region 2 encoded DVD's.

Thanks for the info.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited December 2003
    GREAT anime dvd/ld/vhs/toys import should would be
    www.animejungle.com
    They're based out of Osaka Japan, they have VERY fluent speakers, have new, and a lot of EXCELLENT shape used stuff that's DEEPLY discounted, and just seriously fucking rock. If there's a title you're looking for that they don't have in stock, they will hunt it down new or used, and even find you disks with all the extras intact in gorgeous condition. Seriously amazing shop. I've delt with them several times and never had a problem, they even take international money order for anyone without a credit card.

Xbox Live: Kirin PSN:Kirin70 Steam:Aoi976 NNID:Edison_Carter
    3DS: 3351-4199-8917
  • 90X Double Side90X Double Side Registered User
    edited December 2003
    psiclopz wrote:
    I know that www.cherrysquare.com has decent selection and free shipping but I don't know if their bootleggers, anyone?
    No. of Disc: 3
    Episodes: 1-13
    Region Code: All code, region free
    Dialogue: Japanese
    Subtitle: English/Chinese

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2004
    GameMusic.com is the only place so far that I have discovered that will reliably sell non-bootleg game and anime sountracks.

Never, ever buy an anime or game sountrack off of Ebay. They are all, every single last one of them, bootlegs. I 100% guarantee it.

Basically, how they get away with it is the CDs are produced in a country that hasn't signed the Berne(sp) agreement and therefor doesn't respect international copyright laws. So, they are not technically illegal. But they are most definitely unauthorized.

The most popular bootleggers of game and anime music are EverAnime, SonMay, and Alion Records. They look professional and almost look like the real deal, but they are not the authorized publishers of that music. Some of them even go so far as to include "do not reproduce without authorization" messages on their own stolen music.

zappsigsm.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • NibbleNibble FormosaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2004
    Scott wrote:
    www.videogamedepot.com
    Note: bootleggers, as discussed in this thread.

sig.php?id=178
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus I will show you why hurricanes are named after peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    I bought my Trigun set from www.amazon.com . I had no problems with it, and somehow all 27 1-hour episodes were on 3 DVDs. I got the whole thing for like $25, then saw the whole set at the mall for like 200. What are the chances mine is bootleg?

Edit: My set came in a container that looked like B00005OW09.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg . If you go Here, you can see it says 8 discs. It all works fine, so no harm done, i guess.

TDPforum.png
    New ep. every Monday. On iTunes and Android podcast apps!. Subscribe by Email
    PM with questions/critiques, or if we are not showing up in your app of choice.

PSN: The_Road_Virus Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus AMAZON WISHLIST
  • LegacyLegacy SCP Of The Digital Frontier The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2005
    I bought my Trigun set from www.amazon.com . I had no problems with it, and somehow all 27 1-hour episodes were on 3 DVDs. I got the whole thing for like $25, then saw the whole set at the mall for like 200. What are the chances mine is bootleg?

Chances it is bootleg...hmm...

100 in 100? I dunno a great way to say 'It is' without just saying it is.

But...yeah. It is. Very much so. I have the same one.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus I will show you why hurricanes are named after peopleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Legacy wrote:

Chances it is bootleg...hmm...

100 in 100? I dunno a great way to say 'It is' without just saying it is.

But...yeah. It is. Very much so. I have the same one.

I figured it was too good a deal to be authentic. Oh well. Works well enough for me.

TDPforum.png
    New ep. every Monday. On iTunes and Android podcast apps!. Subscribe by Email
    PM with questions/critiques, or if we are not showing up in your app of choice.

PSN: The_Road_Virus Twitch: The_Road_Virus Steam: TheRoadVirus AMAZON WISHLIST
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, it's actually a really good chance an anime bought off Amazon.com is a bootleg. If the price looks reasonable, stay away from it.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited April 2005
    I've found that:

http://www.rightstuf.com

Is pretty decent. Especially with "Shawne's Deals of the Day".

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Registered User
    edited April 2005
    I've always had really good luck with http://www.animecornerstore.com/, although I've only ever ordered region 1 stuff. Good prices, shipped rediculously fast. They advertise a lot in Newtype USA, although that doesn't necessarily mean they don't bootleg. The only merchandise I've ever bought from anywhere that wasn't a @#$% bootleg was from Amazon, and that was the Cowboy Bebop movie OST.

Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Spoiler:
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    http://import-anime.com is a known bootlegger. It's also a source of info on the varying quality of bootlegs, through their reviews section, should you ever decide to purchase a bootleg, which you should not.

• AberserkerAberserker Registered User
    edited June 2005
    Sorry to bump an older thread, but I've found that newegg now sells Anime, and for a very good price.
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/DVDCategory.asp?Category=2200

Also, I bought the entire Hellsing series for 22 bucks at FYE (Used) on 2 disks. What are the odds it's a bootleg?

• redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2005
    Aberserker wrote:
    Also, I bought the entire Hellsing series for 22 bucks at FYE (Used) on 2 disks. What are the odds it's a bootleg?
    99%; the legit Hellsing box-set is four discs and at least $90.

emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel J.2C When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2006
    I've had some success with www.bestprices.com. Decent music selection as well.

• DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    what the heck happened to videogamedepot? I know lik-sang is gone, where do you guys buy your saturn games aside from the ebay? Is there any central store that sells games for every system anymore? I've looked at play-asia and NCS but the selections are very poor for older systems.

• madstork91madstork91 Registered User
    edited August 2007

Edit: My set came in a container that looked like . If you go Here, you can see it says 8 discs. It all works fine, so no harm done, i guess.

I bought the same one off of discountanimedvd.com I suppose they are bootleg then ;-p

Oh well. I'm fine with it I guess. Whats the diff anyways?

Edit: Maybe it isnt a bootleg? My copy doesnt have near the quality complaints that a few of the reviews on amazon claimed... There is no focus problem. No glitches... No random artifacts... im really confused now.

tg2po0.gif Tech reviews, another forum to talk in... w/e.