As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

90's Music Appreciation thread!

WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Well folks, it seems that quite a few of us did a lot of our growing up during the 90's, and I think that's an era that receives a lot of hostility because of some successful acts that I think should remain unnamed in this thread, at least for a little while. Let's focus on the positives, k?

First, a song that I rediscovered yesterday:

The Urge - Jump Right In: The biggest hit from a solid band from St. Louis. What a feel good song. btw, if you're in Missouri, you can still see their lead singer, Steve Ewing, performing. I might go to a show in April.

My last submission:

Barenaked Ladies - One Week: Still hear this one pretty often on the radio. Still can't sing along to it.

Anyone else wanna share? Thoughts on music in the 90's on the whole? Still getting your junior-to-high school rock on? Post and be heard!

858213-butcher-2.jpg
Woodroez on

• TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When I was growing up in the nineties, I didn't expect that its music would eventually find its way into my top band slots today.

My only real music source was the radio, and I generally hated most of what I heard.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love Barenaked Ladies - my favorite of their radio singles is probably "The Old Apartment", though.

There's a lot of 90's music I like and still listen to - BNL, Soul Coughing, Smashing Pumpkins, No Doubt. There's also a lot I could easily live without ever hearing again (oh god, "Mm Mm Mm Mm").

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    In before the Radiohead!
    The Bends and Ok Computer are the best albums of the 90's

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DG, what's your favorite pumpkins album? You seem like a Siamese Dream kind of girl.

I was always a MCatIS kind of guy, but I'm a staunch Adore lover now.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2008
    Does the Moon & Antarctica count? I mean it was released in June of 2000, but I am pretty sure it was mostly written in the 20th century!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited March 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Does the Moon & Antarctica count? I mean it was released in June of 2000, but I am pretty sure it was mostly written in the 20th century!

Really? I always thought it was '99. It's got a distinctly 90's feel to it.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2008
    Mellon Collie is my favorite, actually, especially the first disc. <3 Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh god, this is my dream thread. Grunge ruled my life in the 90's, as did flannel (yeah, it was bad)

I still love Soundgarden, Bush, No Doubt before it was Gwen Stephani, Green Day (although their new stuff is pretty good) Blink 182, and all the beautiful one hit wonders, like Semisonic, or Oasis (alright, that had a few hit wonders)

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    edited March 2008
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Mellon Collie is my favorite, actually, especially the first disc. <3 Bullet with Butterfly Wings.

Mmm....that's a good one. My love goes out for the softer ones... Cupid De Locke, Galapagos, 33.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2008
    And "Tonight, Tonight" of course.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Just this time, we'll count it! I don't think I've heard any pre-Float On Modest Mouse. This may need to be remedied.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    And "Tonight, Tonight" of course.

ahhhhh, but of course!

Also: Third Eye Blind is all kinds of alt-rock/pop goodness. Loves me some third eye blind every now and then.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited March 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »

Just this time, we'll count it! I don't think I've heard any pre-Float On Modest Mouse. This may need to be remedied.

oh jeez man definitely. The Moon & Antarctica is pretty much my #1 album, but if you're into a bit of a grittier sound you'd do well to grab Lonesome Crowded West.

I somewhat hesitate to recommend Building Nothing out of Something or This Is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About to anyone except the more enthusiastic fans, but I like them both a lot as well, for different reasons.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Wyvern998Wyvern998 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pixies?

Pixies!

Also: Sonic Youth

Wyvern998 on
    edited March 2008
    And CAKE! How the hell did I forget CAKE.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Wyvern998 wrote: »
    Also: Sonic Youth

My friend goo...

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    heh, going through my itunes library and I hooked up an old ipod and it still had a "mood mix" I made of all 90's songs.

heh... screwin to glycerine, or getting denied that privilage, as was more likely the case : )

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    deadonthestreet on
    edited March 2008
    Greatness
    cvr-loveless.jpg

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Sheep go to heaven!
    Goats go to hell!

I can go on and on with all the bands I went to go see and listened to in the 90's now music for the most part is a bunch of clicks and whistles

Brainleech on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

!

Cake - Short Skirt, Long Jacket: Probably one of the better videos of all time, aside from the fact that the song's compromised a bit by it.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    "Let Me Go" and "Stick Shifts and Safetybelts" are my two favorite songs of theirs. Their cover of "I Will Survive" is pretty great too, though.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »

!

Cake - Short Skirt, Long Jacket: Probably one of the better videos of all time, aside from the fact that the song's compromised a bit by it.

ah man, that was cake?

I dislikes that song :(

But like cake in passing

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited March 2008
    Anyway, my favorite band in the 90s was Local H, and they are still around, still making albums, and most importantly, still touring.

And I'll tell you, they put on a fucking amazing show. I've never seen anyone rock as hard as they do.

deadonthestreet on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    There was so much greatness in the 90's, everything from that early grunge wave until to ska-core at the end of the decade. It's hard for me to pick a favorite, whether it's 311's "Transistor" or Weezer's "Pinkerton," perhaps King's X "Ear Candy" or Foo Fighters' debut. There's too many to even to begin to list, but a radio station here in Phoenix has "90's Weekend" and I'm in heaven.

thanimations on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Look, OK Computer is fucking fantastic and there's nothing any of you can say or do to demonstrate otherwise.

DarkPrimus on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    :whistle:
    Look around, could it bring somebody down
    if I never made a sound again?
    In your eyes you've already spread my thighs
    and you're rocking to the next big thing.
    Kissing the bride, 45 minutes a side.
    This was my dream - played out rocking routine.

Who sucked out the feeling?

Gim on
  • skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ben Folds Five

how has anyone not mentioned Red Hot Chilli Peppers?

I loves me some Live

Offspring

Dear god there are so many...

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
    edited March 2008
    Gim wrote: »
    Look around, could it bring somebody down
    if I never made a sound again?
    In your eyes you've already spread my thighs
    and you're rocking to the next big thing.
    Kissing the bride, 45 minutes a side.
    This was my dream - played out rocking routine.

Superdrag was so awesome. So awesome!

deadonthestreet on
    edited March 2008
    Damn straight.

I'm thinking about seeing Local H in June, provided that the ticket price isn't too bad.

Gim on
  • MrBeelzyMrBeelzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rage Against the Machine was one of the best bands of the 90's, if not ever. Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden are another two bands from the 90's that are up there with Rage. Pantera also put out their best stuff in the 90's. Also Beck, who I have only now started listening to. Also Kyuss, Primus, White Zombie for bands that haven't been mentioned yet.

Half of the music I listen to on a regular basis was made in the 90's, and I am still working my way through a lot of the great 90's bands that I've never listened to. My sister was all into the Backstreet Boys and almost anything that got radio play, and I'd be lying if I said I hated the pop and all the one hit wonders.

MrBeelzy on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Quoting myself from the last thread:
    Man, I fucking hate The Smashing Pumpkins.

:( The Smashing Pumpkins are my favorite band.

Siamese Dream = best album ever

It's true though that I didn't listen to a lot of 90s music during the actual 90s, since I was 3-12 and didn't really develop my own music taste until I was 13, and even then it was pretty shitty for a while.

Of course now that I'm 20 and all nostalgic for my childhood, I've been listening to music from the 90s like mad. I even did this thing a while ago where I wrote down all the hit songs (good or bad) that I could remember from the 90s, year by year, and downloaded the whole lot of 'em, from Everybody Dance Now to The Sunscreen Song and all the garbage and awesomeness in between.

Also, I never fully listened to Nevermind or In Utero until just a few months ago, and all you haters can fuck right off, because they kick ass.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Screaming Trees, REM, the Pixies, Blur, Elastica. The list goes on and on and on. Music hasn't been the same since the 90s ended and the unpleasantness that is the past decade of music happened.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited March 2008
    And the ticket for Local H has been purchased. Damn Ticketmaster for their fees, but I suspect it will be worth it.

Gim on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This post kind of turned out a bit random, but here goes:

Oddly enough, it was Pearl Jam in 1992 that really got me interested in music. I say it's odd because I didn't buy an album by them until about 4 years ago. I had to do a radio show in 10th grade with a partner. He ended up picking out all the music since I didn't know anything about it, and "Jeremy" really caught my ear and made me realize there's stuff out there besides Weird Al, whose Off the Deep End was the only CD I owned at the time.

Ministry's Psalm 69 was my first "heavy" album, followed by Metallica's self-titled album. Consequently, Metallica became my favorite band in high school, and I sought out all their CDs. I watched Headbanger's Ball on MTV every Saturday night and discovered other metal bands. By the time I got my first job a month before graduating, I owned around 60 CDs (I have a little over 1000 now).

Alice in Chains Dirt is a great album. Their first one is OK, but I mainly like "Man in the Box."

Tool really caught my ears and eyes with their "Sober" and "Prison Sex" videos.

Nine Inch Nails' Broken and The Downward Spiral were great, but I had to keep the volume down. Couldn't have the parents hear all those naughty words coming out of the speakers!

As I left high school and entered college in the mid-90s, my tastes shifted to the more obscure metal bands (many of whom are not quite obscure anymore). I won't bother to name them here, but that was probably the best time of musical discovery in my life.

SteevL on
    edited March 2008
    MrBeelzy wrote: »
    Also Kyuss, Primus, White Zombie for bands that haven't been mentioned yet.

Welcome to Sky Valley is one of my favorite albums ever.

Gim on
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure that no decade "sucks" for music.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What's all this late 90's crap?

200px-BabyGotBack.jpg
    200px-Icebaby.jpg
    Hammer_Touch.jpg

Apothe0sis on
    edited March 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    What's all this late 90's crap?

I posted Loveless. That was 1991.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Spin Doctors, man. Show me another decade that Pocket Full of Kryptonite could have existed in.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]