Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[OOC] Exalted: Saga of the Rivers

destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
Ok, since the game Arcanis has set up (Over Here) has reached critical mass I figured I'd set this up to catch any who want to play but cannot. just pipe up and we'll see what happens.

Any exalt types are fair game, although I'll be limiting the number of players to 5-6 max.

IC Thread

destroyah87 on
steam_sig.png

• ArcanisTheImpotentArcanisTheImpotent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    dibs on a slot

Player of Batgirl, Gotham Knights
    GM of Monsterhearts: Blackwood
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm up, if it's PbP.

Anthrax's game has kinda... stalled, and i'm needing stuff to do.

• GraycoinGraycoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hi there, I'm part of your group apparently. Presently in a life-or-death struggle with my own lack of experience to make a Sidereal Martial Artist, though I kind of made said Sidereal around the environment of Arcansis' game - it might be too soon to really ask, but are the two games going to be in the same setting, related, or completely different?

Don't really mind either way, looking forward to this. :)

• Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cydian, Night caste scout and hunter here.
    Full character sheet.
    Spoiler:
    I tried to summarize more and to keep my background short but I think I botched the roll.
    Background Part 1: I am Exalted
    Spoiler:

Part two, in which I acquire Golden Shadow Raiment and Judge of Soul as well as meet Laursus will be coming tomorrow after work. Or possibly after it is decided where the game will be taking place.

steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, so unless I'm mistaken, the influx of people from Arcanis's group + lonelyahava + Arcanis himself brings us up to the max of six. So I think I'm going to call this game complete, and we'll start as soon as everybody has characters ready to go.

Graycoin, don't worry. I won't be changing the focus of this to socal combat or anything, anything made for Arcanis's style will work fine under me. Now that brings us to the question of setting. I'm leaning towards the North or East, I might stay away from the East because Arcanis is setting his game there, but Creation is large enough that shouldn't be an issue (and could lead to the PC's seeing or hearing of the exploits of the other group.)

tl;dr: I'm thinking of the North, East, NorthEast, EastNorth or combinations theirof. Thoughts and Opinions?

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    I give you the greatest Solar Hero...
    Spoiler:

Background
    Spoiler:

Description
    Spoiler:

On the Fists of Thunder and the Bindings of the King
    Spoiler:

edited March 2008
    To be honest I like the idea of setting it in the East, after all this game was spawned from that one, seems kind of appropriate. :P Doubly so as I like the idea of the two groups hearing about each other from time to time. Of course, if this proves problematic I'm good anywhere, I've never really played before so I'm just glad to be doing something in the first place really.

• PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Character sheet copied and pasted from the other thread.

I would prefer to be in the North, as that's where my character is from at the moment. Depending on the final starting point I might change that though.
    Spoiler:

edited March 2008
    I'd like to play in either the Northlands or the Scavenger lands.

steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava One day, I will be able to say to myself "I am beautiful and I am perfect just the way I am"Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm up for wherever. I'm still learning my way around this system, so it might take me a bit. But bear with me, i'm working on the character right now....

probably, most likely, a lunar

edited March 2008
    Ok, so after some thought, the game will take place in the East. around/in Great Forks (or Nexus) specifically, I think. I just feel more comfortable running a game there then in the wastes of the frozen North.

Papillion, you can change your character's location if you want or could say that he traveled here for reasons, it's rare but not unheard of to have people traveling that far. Kinda leaves the manse idea lacking, but there's no reason you can't keep the description the same except have it located atop a (relatively) small mountain in the wilderness near the Yellow River.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Ok so we have
    1) Eclipse whom desires to be a god-king.
    2) Night whom wants to purge the Realm of corruption.
    3) Night whom seeks to destroy the Immaculate order and free his homeland.
    4) Sidereal Martial Artist
    5) A Lunar

Who is our sixth? Also, due to the location(mainly how far it is from Cydian's home) and character similarities I might roll up a different character. Any suggestions on what might be useful?

I'm kinda leaning toward a Twilight caste, searching for lost knowledge from the first age in order to help the weak. She desires to see the health and situation of all humans rise. Not so much a crafter or sorcerer as a bastion of knowledge. She knows that not all share her viewpoint however and has learned how to defend herself and those whom cannot defend themselves.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I see where I messed up adding. You're right, there's only five people playing. That means I could accept one more character if somebody else wants to play.

If you do decide to roll a new character, that Twilight sounds just fine. Or go with whatever else you want.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    How much is the game going to focus on combat versus social interaction?

Actually building the twilight idealist made me realize that without a lot of social combat and maneuvering this would be a rather boring character to play. If the other players would prefer a more combat-oriented game I'll go with something else.

Also a few questions that arose building that Twilight.

1) If linguistics is a favored ability and I assign a BP to it for specializations do I get 2 different accents or is it harder for people to spot that I'm faking the one I choose?
    2) Does a Hearthstone double your essence recovery? The 'Manse' description on page 113 kinda suggests it does, but the sentence is screwed up. There is an extra word in there and it doesn't make sense grammatically.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Ok, let's see.

0) Character Concerns: Hmm, you may want to shy away from heavy social combat stuff. Because whenever I try to read the Social Combat rules my eyes cross. Well that, and Exalted C-span is not my idea of fun. :P
    I won't be ignoring Social combat, but it will not be the main focus most likely.

1)The way I'll handle this is that it's your choice, you can use one BP to 'buy' two accents (and perhaps have the accent 'slip' under stress.) or one accent and be able to fool a native speaker all the time.
    2)Ok, I've read the Manse background. I think what it means is that, with a hearthstone, you regan 2x(Manse Background) motes per hour.

i.e. if you have Manse 4 for a Seacalm Gemstone, you regain 8 motes/hr if you have the stone set in an artifact socket. However, if you are resting in the Manse itself you regain 16 motes/hr instead.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Papillion, you can change your character's location if you want or could say that he traveled here for reasons, it's rare but not unheard of to have people traveling that far. Kinda leaves the manse idea lacking, but there's no reason you can't keep the description the same except have it located atop a (relatively) small mountain in the wilderness near the Yellow River.

Could Graycoin's character arrange to transport my character from the North to the Great Forks area? I'm thinking that my character has heard heard rumours the Wyld Hunt might come looking for me, so when a mysterious stranger offers to take me to safety for a few months my character decides he's not going to be able to bring anyone to justice if he's dead. Of course, the offer is probably part of some Sidereal plot-within-a-plot in which he's trying to enmesh my character. This would also provide some reason why our characters would have met.

If this is too much of a stretch, I'll probably keep my character statistics quite similar, but rework the background quite a bit.

edited March 2008
    If Graycoin agrees with it, that's totally fine with me.

Saves me a lot of trouble and everybody's happy which is always a nice bonus.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Well, I'm not 100 percent sure what I'm agreeing to here, given I'm just now getting a handle on what the heck I'm building in terms of a character, but if it'll make things run smoother, sure, I'll work with it.

Speaking of that, still working on a character. Its kind of slow going between trying to learn how to make a sheet, figuring out all these resplendent whathaveyous and astrological malarky, not to mention making a character for the first time. Hopefully the game doesn't start for a couple of days at least. :P Lemme know if you need to know anything terribly specific though, dest.

edited March 2008
    Yay, charm questions.

1) Ok guys, tell me what the downside is in the charm "Iron Skin Concentration". Because as I'm reading it if I have a Stamina+Resistance of 9 I could pretty much shrug off any blow made by someone with an essence of 3 or less for just two motes, and even if I somehow botch it I still get 4A/8L/8B soak.

2) I know a flurry is a single 'action', but will all of the strikes within a flurry count as a single 'attack'? Specifically can I perform a flurry of 2+ attacks while using the charm 'Hungry Tiger Strike' and double the successes on all of the hits for just 1mote? Or would I need to spend motes equal to the number of strikes in the flurry?

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    no, each attack within a flurry is a separate attack.

edited March 2008
    also, something to note: Lion is probably going to seek out different styles of martial arts as a means of gaining power. Since he is an Eclipse caste, any charm short of Sidereal Martial arts is open to him

basically finding some way to learn a few of the Immaculate styles would be pretty awesome

edited March 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Yay, charm questions.

1) Ok guys, tell me what the downside is in the charm "Iron Skin Concentration". Because as I'm reading it if I have a Stamina+Resistance of 9 I could pretty much shrug off any blow made by someone with an essence of 3 or less for just two motes, and even if I somehow botch it I still get 4A/8L/8B soak.

2) I know a flurry is a single 'action', but will all of the strikes within a flurry count as a single 'attack'? Specifically can I perform a flurry of 2+ attacks while using the charm 'Hungry Tiger Strike' and double the successes on all of the hits for just 1mote? Or would I need to spend motes equal to the number of strikes in the flurry?

1)There really is no downside to Iron Skin Concentration. It's a decent defensive charm, just like a lot of dodge and some melee charms, its purpose is to give characters a "No you don't button." in regards to attacks and damage.

2) Arcanis got it right.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Iron Skin is decent, but it's pretty much a poor man's Perfect Defense.

edited March 2008
    Speaking of perfect defenses... I'm updating my character sheet for the flaw for SSE (oops).

edited March 2008
    Ok, I've decided on a new character. Zenaar, Zenith caste, villager turned war-priest.

Background part one(Shorter this time, I swear!)
    Spoiler:

Destroyah, would you permit me to use a custom Hearthstone? I wanted to use an Earth-stone but the only ones in the book are level 4/5. I was thinking of the following.

Gem of Flint(●● or ●●●)
    This hearthstone is a rough black sphere. While he bears the stone the character's skin hardens, adopting the characteristics of Flint. The wielder gains +2L/+4B soak, this has no effect on aggravated damage.

Also, are we using the stats from the Armorium or the rulebook?

steam_sig.png
  • BrodyBrody SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I haven't actually played any Exalted, but I do have a little bit of experience with WW systems, and I intend on picking up books of this series(no idea which ones I should get). As far as what I would most likely roll, prolly Solar or Abyssal knight type character. Light, Medium, or no armor. Nodachi with most of my "Exaltedness" going into being super-fast strong with it if that is the way it works.

edited March 2008
    That sounds fine Brody, for books, Exalted 2nd edition will be sufficient if you want to play a Solar (or an abyssal for that matter, just give the charms spooky names instead of heroic). There is an Abyssal sourcebook in the works but it hasn't been released yet. (I think April of this year)

Last Son, for a Manse 2 stone it will grant: +1L/+2B. A Manse 3 will give +2L/+3B. I think that's more in line with the power of the standard stones in the book.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    This isn't going to start really soon, is it?

I really really want to play a Sidereal especially since it seems like there's plenty of Solars for the main cast, but trying to absorb all the rules involved in playing them makes my brain vomit like its been on a roller coaster one too many times. Its slow going.

edited March 2008
    The game will start when all characters are finished (or mostly so), just so long as you don't take more then a month, I wouldn't worry about it. :wink:

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    me, on the other hand, I am much less forgiving; if you don't finish soon I will dispatch ninja teams

• BrodyBrody SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, with the likely hood of WoW being down all day, and having my wisdom teeth removed in about an hour, I'll make a hearty attempt at grabbing at least the core rule-book and start throwing my character together.

To make things faster once I do get the book though, is my character idea sound as far as game mechanics are concerned. If any of you have seen Fate/Stay Night, I'm thinking of a character kind of like Assassin, or at least being able to use Tsubame Gaeshi type attacks.

edited March 2008
    The idea's fine.

As long as the effects are the same as the charms in the book, you can describe it however you wish. Matter of fact, Awesome descriptions are encourged, The game has rules for giving bonus dice for good description. 'S called Stunting.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    also, if I haven't made it clear: if you have any character questions/need help, I'm on AIM or MSN and always willing to chit-chat and give help

edited March 2008
    Full background has been completed.
    Spoiler:
    Appearance
    Spoiler:

Also, are we using the stats from the Armorium or the rulebook?

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    go ahead and use Armorium stats.

steam_sig.png
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so i just started reading Arcanis's thread and it was like epic awesomeness. So i'd be intrested in joining if u still have a spot. I'm gonna need a lot of help makin a char tho, like horseshoe level help. Perhaps more.

1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lots folks abound to help y' out, Crovaxan.

sometimes you just gotta do a thing
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    alright so assuming i have a spot, anyone that can walk me through char creation through pm or aim/msn?

1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited March 2008
    Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong but so far, it looks like we've got 7 people with characters/espressed interest in this game.

Arcanis- Lion
    Last Son- Zenaar
    Papillon- Deadly Shadow
    Graycoin- (Sidereal Martial Artist)
    Brody- (Abyssal)
    Crovaxan- ?
    lonelyahava- ?

Ok, Seven is the absolute max I'm willing to work with. So any other people are going to have to be turned away.
    I'm sorry :(

steam_sig.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    alright so assuming i have a spot, anyone that can walk me through char creation through pm or aim/msn?

You can reach me on AIM as Aluminium2518, if you want.

@Brody: There's no recent Abyssals book, so it's a lot of making stuff up and guesswork. Probably wouldn't recommend it if you're unfamiliar with the system.

sometimes you just gotta do a thing