As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Store credit cards (Circuit City)

HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm planning on getting an LCD tv from Circuit City today. They have a whole 18 months no interest thing going on on purchases $999 and up with the card. Should I get one for this purchase?

I have a bank of america credit card for about 3 years that I just have for extreme emergencies and on a bill payment that only accepts credit. I use my debit card for most other things since I rather pay fully then owe over a couple months. My plan is to use this card for the tv then cancel it once I'm done with the 18 months payments. Is this wise? I believe my rating is good since my BoA payments are always on time.

steam_sig.png
HyperAquaBlast on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got a Best Buy card for the same thing, a large TV. They had the same offer, no interest for 18 months on purchases over, I think it was $399 at the time. I had decent credit, and got a $2000 limit on the card. I paid the TV off in 17 months, thereby accruing no interest.

I wouldn't cancel the card once you've paid your purchase off though, opening and closing lines of credit both give your credit score a slight hit. Having the card, and paying off the purchase before the 18 months are up will have a positive effect on your credit score, of course.

Just be sure you'll be able to pay it off in less than 18 months. It's as simple as dividing the purchase price by 18 (or 17, if you want to really be sure you won't bump the deadline). As long as you can come up with that amount of cash each month, there's no reason not to really. The "minimum payment" that will show up on your first bill is, of course, not the amount you'd need to pay each month to have it paid off in 18 months.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Victor15bVictor15b Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I'm planning on getting an LCD tv from Circuit City today. They have a whole 18 months no interest thing going on on purchases $999 and up with the card. Should I get one for this purchase?

I have a bank of america credit card for about 3 years that I just have for extreme emergencies and on a bill payment that only accepts credit. I use my debit card for most other things since I rather pay fully then owe over a couple months. My plan is to use this card for the tv then cancel it once I'm done with the 18 months payments. Is this wise? I believe my rating is good since my BoA payments are always on time.

I remember reading somewhere that opening up a store credit card automatically knocks 20 points off you credit score......googling now.....

Yup here it is:
    http://lifehacker.com/359610/avoid-store-cards-for-a-better-credit-score

So yeah, take that into consideration before you apply

Victor15b on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Victor15b wrote: »

I remember reading somewhere that opening up a store credit card automatically knocks 20 points off you credit score......googling now.....

Yup here it is:
    http://lifehacker.com/359610/avoid-store-cards-for-a-better-credit-score

So yeah, take that into consideration before you apply

Those are store specific credit card(like Kohls has), Visa or MC endorsed store cards are just fine. Circuit City's card is Visa endorsed. I got one when I bought my TV. Just make sure you pay it all off before the 18 months is up because they will retroactively charge you interest for those 18 months.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok thanks for the info boyos. Now other then using it for this TV purchase should I use it for anything else at Circuit City or just hold on to it after payments are complete? I don't make big purchases often at electronic stores and like to pay the amount out right.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok thanks for the info boyos. Now other then using it for this TV purchase should I use it for anything else at Circuit City or just hold on to it after payments are complete? I don't make big purchases often at electronic stores and like to pay the amount out right.

Hold on to it. Close credit cards dents your credit score. I haven't used mine since I bought my TV, although I am looking at speakers now and I may use it on those.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

I don't know the specifics of the card - do they give you rewards back or anything for use?

To be honest, I use credit cards for most of my purchases now, but pay the full balance every month - builds credit faster, gets rewards (even 1% back isn't horrible if you're putting 10k of typical living expense-type stuff on there per year), and as long as you have the self-control to use it for things you'd just pay with debit card anyway you won't get into debt/interest crap

Gdiguy on