As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Fantasy II - Monty Oum delivers again

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    TVs_Frank wrote: »
    My feelings on this are: HIS ANIMATING SKILL IS OVER NINE-THOUSAAAAAND!!!!

As an animating demo, its good. As anything else, its retarded. Its almost like watching a DragonBallZ fanfic, as someone else was saying. I couldn't watch the whole thing.
    Except no attack took over a second. And there was no screaming.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I'd also like to point out the lack of extraneous slow motion and spinning camera effects.

In fact, the camera job on this one was pretty awesome. Even when things shifted, it was easy to follow what was going on instead of... say... Advent Children's spastic cuts to and from random perspectives all over the place.
    A fine point. I am a huge fan of actually showing us what's going, instead of a billion smash-cuts and jiggly camerawork. I understand, to a point, that movies have to do this to cover up perspective and stuntmen and practical effects, but there's no reason animated/CG/game stuff can't show that stuff off. And he does it very well.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What I was wondering was were he got the low poly model for tifa AC

Was there a game released with Tifa AC in it?

otherwise he must of just modeled it

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    It makes me sad that almost the entire thing was the DOA girls getting their asses kicked.

Hitomiiiiiii

hitomi got the worst of it. GIANT DARK GRAVATY BALL WILL EAT YOU

thedude_frombaywatch on
    xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    rvcontre78 wrote: »
    Yeah, but this isn't some hifalutin film trying to get a message across. Well, I guess there is a message. It's just a Whedonesque one. Hot chicks kick ass. It's like sitting down for dinner and just eating fuckin' pie. I mean no one does that all the time and no one would even enjoy that all the time... but sometimes you're in the mood and you just eat some fuckin' pie. You eat the shit out of it.

Were I the sigging type, I would sig this so hard.

cheez on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What I was wondering was were he got the low poly model for tifa AC

Was there a game released with Tifa AC in it?

otherwise he must of just modeled it

Kingdom Hearts 2.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    It makes me sad that almost the entire thing was the DOA girls getting their asses kicked.

Hitomiiiiiii

hitomi got the worst of it. GIANT DARK GRAVATY BALL WILL EAT YOU

Well, she did hit Yuna and Rikku with a giant pillar in the first one.

And her crosscounter at the start just makes me laugh.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Guys, you all take this like its supposed to be Scorsese or some shit. Seriously, its a guy who is a really good animator, who picks up characters from games and makes really awesome choreographed fights using them. Thats it. The only way it could be taken as some sort of fanfic fight bullshit is that they retain some of the moves that the characters have from their respective properties, and thats probably only becuase he wanted to give fan service when he took the characters.

I can also see its where it would attract more to watch. Noone would of watched Haloid, asuming it was the first of projects like this, if it were random characters he made up, it would just get cut up into gifs that would be spamed places every so often and thats it.

If this fight was exactly the same, even down to "signiture moves" and his own models which were vastly different, noone would be screaming 'olol fanfic douche'

On note of watching this, the fight scene during the tornado with fighting on different planes of the platforms all at once, was more then quite cinematic for me, I could see them replacing the characters and that being fucking badass in a movie.

Edit: I kind of stand corrected, he (they?) Call themself fanservice inc.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If this fight was exactly the same, even down to "signiture moves" and his own models which were vastly different, noone would be screaming 'olol fanfic douche'
    That's because if this fight was exactly the same with different models, it wouldn't be fanfic. But because it does use those characters, it is a kind of fanfic, or at least fanservice. That's sort of the point.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    That's because if this fight was exactly the same with different models, it wouldn't be fanfic. But because it does use those characters, it is a kind of fanfic, or at least fanservice. That's sort of the point.

shhhh I know :)

There should be so little focus on fanfic classification here, in my opinion is all, I would consider it like 1% fanfic at best. He does acknowledge he knows the characters and says X vs Y is going to be alot better of a fight then Z vs W that hes worked out, but I still feel the emphasis on this is unnecessary. Its just a cool over the top fight scene by itself.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yes yes, well I hit reply before you edited and then wandered away for a bit. So live with the shaaaame!

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Haha, all is well in my holey universe of logic.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    All I know is that whoever makes one of these with Type-Moon characters would rule Japan.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Best parts to me were the Haste/Slow portions. Those were moments that had actual weight to them in the choreography and stood out in both pace and impact.

That's actually my problem with the entire thing and why I side with the "thirteen year old" comments. This is how people choreograph when they don't have a solid understanding of weight and working the viewer, and instead throw as much "ZOMG COOL" stuff out there as possible and try some kind of awesome overload. It all becomes a wash in the end.

So yeah, it's a fanfic by a thirteen year old. Good production values? Sure, decent enough. Good pacing and delivery? Other than the camerawork (which is production anyways), veering heavily towards no.

Those old stickman fight animations had more weight than this.

Polago on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    Those old stickman fight animations had more weight than this.
    True, but those things were also classy as shit. Can't blame this guy for not being as awesome as something that's way awesome.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    All I know is that whoever makes one of these with Type-Moon characters would rule Japan.

Maybe Type-Moon vs. Touhou somehow?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Pfft. The Touhou girls can't take a hit.

Fate vs Tsukihime though...
    088089xd4.th.jpg

Aroduc on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wonder how many of the "OMG fanific lol" people have no problem with Smash Brothers?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wonder how many of the "OMG fanific lol" people have no problem with Smash Brothers?

As far as anime goes I think the girls of Kiki's Delivery Service would kick the girls of My Neighbor Totoro's ass.

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard
    Well, I for one appreciate the work and time this guy put in it. Then again, I'm a sucker for martial arts flicks.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's not like he's pretending it's not fanservice. It says it's fanservice at the very beginning.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    BushmaoriBushmaori Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's actually my problem with the entire thing and why I side with the "thirteen year old" comments. This is how people choreograph when they don't have a solid understanding of weight and working the viewer, and instead throw as much "ZOMG COOL" stuff out there as possible and try some kind of awesome overload. It all becomes a wash in the end.

My guess is that the weight thing is intentional, making them much more nimble and able to jump ten stories makes for a much more over the top fight which is, as you said, what he was aiming for.

Bushmaori on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Bushmaori wrote: »

My guess is that the weight thing is intentional, making them much more nimble and able to jump ten stories makes for a much more over the top fight which is, as you said, what he was aiming for.

I didn't find the weight to be a problem, and I usually do. I can't watch wire-fu movies because they just don't work for me. I think it's because he doesn't really violate the rules he sets up. Normal people can't jump 5 stories into the air, but these people can, and they do it without looking completely unnatural. At least they weren't floating all over the place.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Only when you're controlling them.

When you're up against them, it's an entirely different story.

cheez on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think he's a talented animator who knows he is talented but doesn't want to go through the trouble of making his own, inevitably generic character models. Nothing wrong with that.

Javen on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    cheez wrote: »

It'd still just be them throwing crap at eachother constantly. I think Remi, China and Youmu are about the only ones with any canonical fisticuffs abilities.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    cheez wrote: »

It'd still just be them throwing crap at eachother constantly. I think Remi, China and Youmu are about the only ones with any canonical fisticuffs abilities.

Doesn't stop IaMP from being popular.

cheez on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Needs more SWR.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    I think he's a talented animator who knows he is talented but doesn't want to go through the trouble of making his own, inevitably generic character models. Nothing wrong with that.

Javen is right

My only problem with the video is that I don't give half a damn about the Dead or Alive girls or the Final Fantasy chicks

What needs to happen is he needs to pick cooler characters

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Javen is right

My only problem with the video is that I don't give half a damn about the Dead or Alive girls or the Final Fantasy chicks

But... but... Hitomi powaa up!

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Javen is right

But... but... Hitomi powaa up!

Yes, Hitomi is the stone cold nuts. I just know she's going to lose out to Tifa, though. :/

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Slightly off topic. But the character in your sig Aroduc is from my most favorite anime.

Can you tell me where you gots it? [Or did you make it? It's fucking awesome]

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Technically, it isn't fanfic if the corporation that made the character is doing it.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked the part where the one with the guns finally hit something and they died. That part was the best and really the cusp of this entire high quality animation for me.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The stuff with fighting over the potions was pretty cool, as was the spell use. Cool FF nods.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Page- wrote: »

I didn't find the weight to be a problem, and I usually do. I can't watch wire-fu movies because they just don't work for me. I think it's because he doesn't really violate the rules he sets up. Normal people can't jump 5 stories into the air, but these people can, and they do it without looking completely unnatural. At least they weren't floating all over the place.

There's two meanings to "weight" in this instance. One is the weight which you're referring to, but the other is the weight of each action on the viewer. It's the difference between a 100 hit combo of random jabs and other quick nameless offense compared to one solid hit doing the same damage. The 100 hit combo hit be cool and all, but has absolutely zero resonance with an audience compared to one identifiable moment or attack (which is why haste and slow worked). If you're a fighting game fan, think of Ryu's Shinshoryuken finishing attack vs an ultra combo finisher in Killer Instinct and it should make some sense. One is cool, but the other actually has a resonating (and memorable) impact. This applies to all art in general.

The other element of weight as it applies to the viewer is that actions should have consequences. If someone gets their knees shattered and can't stand, it's a lot more visceral to the viewer if that character either can't walk or has to struggle to overcome their new handicap. If a person is exhausted, they should be short of breath and sluggish, etc. This isn't for the sake of realism (because seriously, realism has nothing to do with this), but for the sake of the action on screen meaning something to the viewer. When every imaginable hardship is happening to people and there is NO noticeable consequence (no injuries, no staggering, acting like nothing happened a split second later) then there's no reason to care about what's happening in the action as it's all just a wash until a tangible result occurs.

Polago on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

limey
    Exactly what I was thinking but didn't have the motivation to type out.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008

There's two meanings to "weight" in this instance. One is the weight which you're referring to, but the other is the weight of each action on the viewer. It's the difference between a 100 hit combo of random jabs and other quick nameless offense compared to one solid hit doing the same damage. The 100 hit combo hit be cool and all, but has absolutely zero resonance with an audience compared to one identifiable moment or attack (which is why haste and slow worked). If you're a fighting game fan, think of Ryu's Shinshoryuken finishing attack vs an ultra combo finisher in Killer Instinct and it should make some sense. One is cool, but the other actually has a resonating (and memorable) impact. This applies to all art in general.

The other element of weight as it applies to the viewer is that actions should have consequences. If someone gets their knees shattered and can't stand, it's a lot more visceral to the viewer if that character either can't walk or has to struggle to overcome their new handicap. If a person is exhausted, they should be short of breath and sluggish, etc. This isn't for the sake of realism (because seriously, realism has nothing to do with this), but for the sake of the action on screen meaning something to the viewer. When every imaginable hardship is happening to people and there is NO noticeable consequence (no injuries, no staggering, acting like nothing happened a split second later) then there's no reason to care about what's happening in the action as it's all just a wash until a tangible result occurs.

Okay, you like climaxes and cohesive narratives.

Were you really expecting either in a fanclip about magical girls fighting ninja girls? Really?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, you like climaxes and cohesive narratives.

Were you really expecting either in a fanclip about magical girls fighting ninja girls? Really?
    I don't think it has anything to do with climaxes or cohesive narratives. It has to do with solid pacing and emotional involvement, both of which are completely achievable goals in something like this.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Hmm. From what I understand of your post, here's some weight:
    -Kasumi got shot and was taken out for a minute.
    -Tifa ran out of Mana and needed some potions after using reflect on lava
    -Ayame charging up an attack leaving her vunerable for a minute. The DOA girls protecting while the others try to evade and attack
    Weight to the environment:
    -Punching the building, so they have to leave
    -Their choice of exit causing a downhill battle
    -their down hill battle causing a crash into a structure
    -a crash into a structure causing a fight on breaking pieces
    -a fight on breaking pieces causing one of them getting gravity cast on them absorbing all the pieces
    -gravity taking all the pieces causing a freefall into lava
    -freefall into lava causing tifa to use her mana on a reflect spell
    -tifa using her mana causing yuna to give her mp potions (nod to the real life potions sold in stores)
    -the mp potions causing a fight over the mp potions
    -the fight over mp potions causing the need to break them open with people's faces
    -the breaking of people's faces causing them to be preoccupied to notice the lava waterfall

-rinoa's freeze causing the lava to cool
    -rinoa's tornado changing the battlefield
    -the addition of stone pillars changning the battlefield again
    I think there was a lot of weight. and if you wanted a slow pace to let the weight sink in, the same amount of content would have to span about 30 episodes to show a 11 minute sequence. Which is what people end up liking then later bitching about with DBZ and naruto.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png