As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Wii guitar faceplate from Activision/RedOctane

StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I got this via FedEx this morning, completely unexpected:

guitarplatesmql4.jpg

The card reads,
Dear Valued Activision/RedOctane Customer,
You recently received a Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock Wii replacement disc. To show our appreciation for your patience during the re-mastering and manufacturing phase of Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock for the Wii, enclosed is a complementary Guitar Hero faceplate from Activision/RedOctane....

Very cool surprise in the mail. Did anyone else get one? I'm curious if they're sending out the same version/color to everyone or if there are different styles of faceplates going out?

Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
No man should have that kind of power.
(Twitter)
Staxeon on

• Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Staxeon wrote: »
    I got this via FedEx this morning, completely unexpected:

guitarplatesmql4.jpg

The card reads,
    Dear Valued Activision/RedOctane Customer,
    You recently received a Guitar Hero III Legends of Rock Wii replacement disc. To show our appreciation for your patience during the re-mastering and manufacturing phase of Guitar Hero IIIL Legends of Rock for the Wii, enclosed is a complementary Guitar Hero faceplate from Activision/RedOctane....

Very cool surprise in the mail. Did anyone else get one? I'm curious if they're sending out the same version/color to everyone or if there are different styles of faceplates going out?

I got mine yesterday, and it's the same color. Pretty cool of them to do this.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh awesome, I gotta send mine in now!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh you indeed do. I wasn't disappointed with the original mono version, but I sent it in anyway figuring what the hell its free right? The remastered stereo is really awesome, once you hear it on a surround system you notice what you were missing. Before it sounded like a video game, now it sounds like you popped in the CD and are playing along.

The faceplate is like adding whip cream on top of the pie ala mode.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    Chris WChris W Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thats damned nice of them.

Chris W on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Has anyone received the faceplate who has not yet actually sent in the disc? I have the envelope here and I'm going to send it in tomorrow, but I have not received a faceplate yet. Perhaps they wait until you physically send in the disc?

I'm actually excited about this, free faceplate is awesome since I haven't seen a single wii-guitar (wiitar?) one in stores, only the 360/PS3 versions.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That's pretty awesome.. it actually looks cool too.

I just got something free in the mail but it was a hat from Sam Adam's apparently about some survey I filled out online. SCORE!!

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    frrserfrrser __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    so amazing, received them yesterday

frrser on
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got mine this morning too, but I already sent in all my shit for the refund since I don't play Guitar Hero anymore.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ninja Bot wrote: »
    I got mine this morning too, but I already sent in all my shit for the refund since I don't play Guitar Hero anymore.

Yeah, that's pretty nice but i've already returned it and got rock band instead

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Second question:
    What's the turnaround time been like for getting your disc back?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ninja BotNinja Bot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Second question:

It took me about 2 weeks or so.

Ninja Bot on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm. Something to look forward to in the mail, then.

Activision/RedOctane seems to be treating the Wii a bit better than EA/Harmonix, given the system's apparent lack of (pay-for-)DLC-capableness. Or is that just my imagination?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think that would be a hard position to defend, considering the shafting Wii owners have put up with so far from Activision/Red Octane.

Kris on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Hmm. Something to look forward to in the mail, then.

Activision/RedOctane seems to be treating the Wii a bit better than EA/Harmonix, given the system's apparent lack of (pay-for-)DLC-capableness. Or is that just my imagination?

They're only slightly treating them better since they fucked up their game. This is just good business, nothing more.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Second question:

Mine was closer to a month. By the time I got it I had forgotten that I mailed it.

As the others have said, though the faceplate is nice, I still feel slighted as a Wii owner, ie, no downloadable songs. Plus they expect me to pay the same $70 for a second guitar as 360 or PS3 owners, when essentially its just a shell, making it a $110 guitar if you factor in the wiimote you have to put in it.

Staxeon on
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Plus they expect me to pay the same $70 for a second guitar as 360 or PS3 owners, when essentially its just a shell, making it a $110 guitar if you factor in the wiimote you have to put in it.

So you have no other reason to own a second Remote?

I like the fact that the Wii GH3 has shells instead of stand-alone controllers, since that's fewer batteries consumed and the ability to use the Remote's own speaker and tilt-sensing (the shells do use the Remote's sensors for star power, right?). This is what I based my "treating Wii owners better" comment on, as the upcoming Rock Band will use its own, non-Remote controllers (plus the fact that RB Wii is basically just the PS2 version but six months later for no real reason other than cash-grabbing). In retrospect, that was off-base of me considering the fuck-ups, but I still feel that the GH series is treating the Wii better than RB will (especially if RB Wii doesn't recognize the GH3 shell).

As for the "no DLC" thing... well, that's a separate issue. It is/will be universal to both series, and probably is more Nintendo's fault than the 3rd parties'.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Plus they expect me to pay the same $70 for a second guitar as 360 or PS3 owners, when essentially its just a shell, making it a $110 guitar if you factor in the wiimote you have to put in it.

So you have no other reason to own a second Remote?

I like the fact that the Wii GH3 has shells instead of stand-alone controllers, since that's fewer batteries consumed and the ability to use the Remote's own speaker and tilt-sensing (the shells do use the Remote's sensors for star power, right?). This is what I based my "treating Wii owners better" comment on, as the upcoming Rock Band will use its own, non-Remote controllers (plus the fact that RB Wii is basically just the PS2 version but six months later for no real reason other than cash-grabbing). In retrospect, that was off-base of me considering the fuck-ups, but I still feel that the GH series is treating the Wii better than RB will (especially if RB Wii doesn't recognize the GH3 shell).

As for the "no DLC" thing... well, that's a separate issue. It is/will be universal to both series, and probably is more Nintendo's fault than the 3rd parties'.

In response to the italicized:
    Yes, the fact that GH3 for the Wii uses a shell that you put your wiimote into is great - but WHY does the extra controller still cost $70?! I mean, theoretically there's none of the complicated electronics to process signals and do wireless - all that is contained in the wiimote. You're buying the equivalent of a classic controller or nunchuck (both retail for $20), just bigger and shaped like a guitar. It doesn't have its own accelerometer, or bluetooth, or anything except simple buttons whose on/off status gets sent to the wiimote. Personally, it's one of the things that's kept me from buying GH3 - I would like to have 2 controllers but feel like I'd be getting ripped off. At most stores the Wii version of the bundle costs $10 less - I assume because the controller is cheaper to make. I don't think it should cost $20 for a second controller, but at the price that they're at it seems like I'd just be getting gouged.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    A fair point.

EDIT: My only explanation is a "no console preference" policy. The Wii wants to be treated equally (given its limitations like no DLC and restricted online play), then it has to take the good with the bad.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What was wrong with the original release to warrant a recall?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    PicklesPickles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41179&highlight=mono

Look for the highlighted word. Also, at the thread title.

Edit: By highlighted word, I mean "mono"

Pickles on