Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Final Crisis Thread

Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User
edited January 2009 in Graphic Violence
The Final Crisis Thread
FNLCR_copy.jpg
Written by Grant Morrison and drawn by JG Jones
Who's involved?
Well, according to Grant Morrison, just about everybody, starting with Anthro and ending with Kamandi. There will also be a shit ton of villians, all being grouped together by the formerly goofy now badass looking
LIBRA-ad.jpg
Libra
Not much is known about him right now, but we'll find out more in Justice League of America #21 (May 28th) and of course, in Final Crisis.

Final Crisis #1 - On Sale May 28
9276_400x600.jpg
Witness the historic start of the final chapter in the Crisis trilogy that could only spring from the mind of Grant Morrison — Final Crisis, featuring stunning art by J.G. Jones (52 Covers)! Worlds will live and heroes will die in this epic tale spanning the beginning and end of the DC Universe!
The entire Multiverse is threatened as the mysterious Libra assembles an army of the DCU's most terrifying super villains. But what is the ultimate plan, and who will live to find out?

Final Crisis #2 - On Sale June 25
9482_400x600.jpg
Meet Japan's number one pop culture heroes, the Super Young Team and their languid leader, Most Excellent Superbat! Join legendary wrestler Sonny Sumo and super escape artist Mister Miracle as they team to face the offspring of the Anti-Life Equation! See Earth's superheroes mourn one of their oldest allies! Witness costumed criminals sinking to new depths of cowardice and depravity as Libra takes things too far! Uncover the doomsday secrets of the poisoned city of Blüdhaven! Learn the shocking identity of the prime suspect in the murder of a god! And read on if you dare as Batman becomes the first of Earth's champions to face the Fallen of Apokolips. All this and a spectacular return from the dead...
(Could this be the Bart Allen tease coming to fruition?)
What should I read before I get Final Crisis?
You should definately get DC Universe #0, which is basically a 'snapshot' of the DCU following Countdown and before Final Crisis. And shit, it's only 50 cents, so buy a few for your friends!

Ok..talk about it.

Bad Karma on
Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
PSN: OrneryRooster

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rans wrote: »
    yeah i don't have any clue what this is supposed to be about

One of the big deals (if not THE big deal) about this Crisis revolves around the New Gods completely manifesting on Earth. That supposedly the way we've seen them up till now has just been a physical shell as to not screw up a regular person's mind. The Mr. Miracle part of 7 Soldiers dealt with this, abiet showing the NGs in more hidden forms. Seeing as Morrison said the 7 Soldiers story would play a factor in FC, we may be seeing Darkseid again in this form.

Darkseid_7s.gif

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Rans wrote: »
    yeah i don't have any clue what this is supposed to be about

One of the big deals (if not THE big deal) about this Crisis revolves around the New Gods completely manifesting on Earth. That supposedly the way we've seen them up till now has just been a physical shell as to not screw up a regular person's mind. The Mr. Miracle part of 7 Soldiers dealt with this, abiet showing the NGs in more hidden forms. Seeing as Morrison said the 7 Soldiers story would play a factor in FC, we may be seeing Darkseid again in this form.

Pimpseid

Yeah, I believe it was hinted in interviews that some of the 7SoV book took place in the future. Miracle and his worm hole jumping is probably that.

PSN; AlbertBOMB
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not too excited about Final Crisis. I'm sure it'll be great in that insane Grant Morrison way, but anything that happens will be too high concept and insanely off the wall for any regular writer to do anythign with. So, if it changes anything in the DCU that a Grant Morrison or a Warren Elllis or what have you isn't writing, it's going to end up retconned as quick as possible or be one big turd of a story.

Think Morrison's New X-Men. It wasn't retconned because it was bad. How could a writer like Austen pick up after that run? The whole MLK / Malcom X / Xavier / Magneto deal was destroyed and Mags is now an unredeemable drug abusing hypocrite that went and set up his own little holocaust in downtown New York and was killed off rather definitively. He had pyschic twin baby entities and secondary mutations and all kinds of insanity that regular writers can't wrap their head around. They end up taking these concepts and butchering them as they don't understand them and just try to ape what Morrison did. In the end, Marvel had to almost soft reboot the X-Men to undo just about everything Morrion wrought so they could start telling regular X-Men stories again.

That's how I see Final Crisis playing out. It'll probably pick up on everything in the Seven Soldiers stuff, redefine the New Gods for all kinds of craziness, shake up a bunch of heroes and villains with new Morrison-esque ideas and in 6 months time everything will be retconned away or be a shadow of what was set up in FC.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When did the predicted aftermath of a story overtake storytelling itself as the chief cause for anticipation?

• selderaneselderane Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Am I the only one on the planet that actually enjoys Countdown? I actually look forward to it each week! I'm not going to say the story is the best thing I've ever read but it certianly isn't the worst. I'll agree that 52 stunk pretty bad. But I have all the individual issues anyway because I'm a completist. But I think Countdown is a damned sight better than 52.

As for Final Crisis: I'm looking forward to it and I'm trying to stay ignorant of the details. I know Grant Morrison can tell a fine yarn so I'm not too concerned. Morrison is calling Final Crisis the Lord of the Rings of the DCU. Those are some damned big shoes he's stepping in to if that's what he's aiming for. I hope he pulls it off.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm pretty sure Chuck Austen retconning Morrisson's X-Men had more to do with him not understanding/not reading/not caring than anything else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KeithKeith Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    52 is unarguably better than Countdown in every way

Using your post as evidence, I have concluded that you are retarded.

2mzmv83.jpg
    edited March 2008
    selderane wrote: »
    Am I the only one on the planet that actually enjoys Countdown? I actually look forward to it each week! I'm not going to say the story is the best thing I've ever read but it certianly isn't the worst. I'll agree that 52 stunk pretty bad. But I have all the individual issues anyway because I'm a completist. But I think Countdown is a damned sight better than 52.

As for Final Crisis: I'm looking forward to it and I'm trying to stay ignorant of the details. I know Grant Morrison can tell a fine yarn so I'm not too concerned. Morrison is calling Final Crisis the Lord of the Rings of the DCU. Those are some damned big shoes he's stepping in to if that's what he's aiming for. I hope he pulls it off.

You're insane because 52 was actually really good except for World War III and Countdown is a billion times worse.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

You're insane because 52 was actually really good except for World War III and Countdown is a billion times worse.

Yeah, 52 was pretty much better than countdown in every way.

Unlike most people here, I don't hate Countdown. It isn't terrible for the most part. It might even be good, but it most certainly is not great. I think the worst part of it is how stagnant the story seems. Maybe it is because I read 52 in trades, but when I think back on Countdown it just seems like almost nothing has actually happened. In 52 it seemed like every week the story (I should say stories because it followed the plotlines of several characters) was progressing and in Countdown it seems like they are trying to stretch very little story over a very long time.

I like Countdown, but after jumping staight from reading 52 in trade to reading the Countdown weekly I can't say that I am not disappointed in it.

/sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
    edited March 2008
    No, you're right about 52 moving along and Countdown not.

It might have to do with the fact that Paul Dini predominantly writes one-shot stories, whether they be single episodes of a TV show or single issues of a comic book.

I mean, yeah, those are great, but Countdown could easily have been compressed into an 8 issue mini-series and done the same exact thing

2mzmv83.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I may follow this. I loved 7S and am interested in the New Gods.

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Countdown really seems to have nothing to do with this, thus the necessity of DC Universe #0.

saiyan2.jpg
  • selderaneselderane Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »

I didn't insult you so I don't know why you felt the need to do the same with me. So, using that as evidence I've concluded you're someone not worth listening to.

As for 52 - About halfway though I stopped reading it because, from week to week, nothing was happening. Maybe it got better, I don't know, but I've been consistantly entertained with Countdown.

edited March 2008
    Wait

you dropped 52 because nothing was happening and yet you liked Countdown?

52 was paced way better.

Are you sure you dont have the two confused

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I seem to recall a lot of people here bemoaning the lack of anything happening in 52 for weeks at a time. The only difference is that the Supernova and Black Adam stories actually went somewhere whenever they were featured.

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    AUGMENTOS - Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited March 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I seem to recall a lot of people here bemoaning the lack of anything happening in 52 for weeks at a time. The only difference is that the Supernova and Black Adam stories actually went somewhere whenever they were featured.

Oh, there were weeks when nothing happened, yeah

Except with countdown it was the first 10 months where nothing happened

2mzmv83.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »

I didn't insult you so I don't know why you felt the need to do the same with me. So, using that as evidence I've concluded you're someone not worth listening to.

Someone's got to start the insults

Besides, my opinions are the best opinions.

2mzmv83.jpg
    edited March 2008
    At least 52 had awesome covers. 52 awesome covers, to be exact.

• DMACDMAC Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    52 was interesting enough just for the novelty of a weekly comic spanning the DCU and the whole "missing year" concept but there was still A LOT of fat there that could have been trimmed. I often felt like a month's four issues could easily have been condensed into one without losing much.

Countdown lost me pretty early.

forum_sig
    DarrenMAC on Xbox Live | deviantART | Twitter | Tumblr | Facebook
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah, as slow as 52 was, i enjoyed it enough to keep reading it. and the covers were almost worth buying themselves.

pretty much the complete opposite of countdown.

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I read the end of 52 in singles and the entire thing in trades - I've been dipping in and out of Countdown as it has progressed. Taking them both on story value alone 52 kicks Countdown all over the pitch.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    While there were times 52 frustrated us because nothing happened, it was because we engaged in the story and wanted to know what was going on. We were eagerly anticipating Supernova's identity, the mysterious figure behind Ralph Dibny's breakdown, and what was up with this whole Crime Bible business.

In Countdown, I'm frustrated that nothing is happening because none of it is interesting. Plus, their pay offs come way too late. Look at Black Adam's arc -- All kinds of shit happens. If it were in Countdown, issues 1 through 30 would be him being violent, and issues 31 through 50 would be him falling in love with Isis, and then, I don't know, Earth-5.9 blows up.

• FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not 5.9!

(it's where I keep all my stuff)

saiyan2.jpg
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I hope that Prime and Monarch show up at some point....it'd be pretty silly that the explosion killed both of them.

• Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I hope that Prime and Monarch show up at some point....it'd be pretty silly that the explosion killed both of them.

Prime will be back in a book written by Johns that at the time of the announcement he wasn't writing. That book was most likely DC Universe #0, but you never know. And it's been said that Monarch will have one more appearance in Countdown, so a Final Crisis appearance is unlikely.

Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    While there were times 52 frustrated us because nothing happened, it was because we engaged in the story and wanted to know what was going on. We were eagerly anticipating Supernova's identity, the mysterious figure behind Ralph Dibny's breakdown, and what was up with this whole Crime Bible business.

In Countdown, I'm frustrated that nothing is happening because none of it is interesting. Plus, their pay offs come way too late. Look at Black Adam's arc -- All kinds of shit happens. If it were in Countdown, issues 1 through 30 would be him being violent, and issues 31 through 50 would be him falling in love with Isis, and then, I don't know, Earth-5.9 blows up.

I agree with you, and on top of it all, I'd say that 52 is maybe one of the best superhero stories of the past several years, at least that I've read. To even think of comparing it to Countdown is almost laughable.

pygsig.png
  • The Geebs That Got BigtimedThe Geebs That Got Bigtimed Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    I think 52 had some dull storylines (Montoya, for one) and had parts that I don't think worked at all (Ralph's final confrontation) but for the most part, it was good. It moved a lot better than Countdown, and did most of what they said it would do. Half the time Countdown seems like an advertisement for some other DC book, and the rest of it isn't really that interesting to make up for it.

But that's really beside the point of whether or not Final Crisis will be good, since that team doesn't really have any effect on what happens in Final Crisis.

edited March 2008
    the only good thing countdown had going for it was trickster and piper, and they fucking blew it.

rotate.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    the only good thing countdown had going for it was trickster and piper, and they fucking blew it.
    Uh, so to speak.

• ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I like the new ads showing up for Final Crisis in DC books with 'The Day Evil Won' in big text and what looks to be Darkseid's eyes. Maybe he'll be visiting other people's couches. Heh.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What'd they do now? I stopped reading Countdown a long, long time ago, but followed them a bit from the corner of my eye.

I know up to Trickster's...uh..."headache."

steam_sig.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited March 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What'd they do now? I stopped reading Countdown a long, long time ago, but followed them a bit from the corner of my eye.

I know up to Trickster's...uh..."headache."

they fucking killed trickster and had piper wander around the desert with only tricker's hand to keep him company. it was the worst fucking thing.

rotate.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I knew that bit. Is that the last that's been seen of them?

steam_sig.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited March 2008
    oh and piper has the anti-life equation or something and blows up apokolips. that was kinda cool i guess. but the thing they had going with trickster and piper together was fucking awesome, and they just threw it into the shitter for no good reason.

rotate.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm still undecided on buying this.
    On one hand I have no idea what's going on.
    On the other hand, it's a Crisis and that means that shit will most likely be changing and it would be nice to know what happened to cause everything to change.

edited March 2008
    the verdict is you should buy Secret Invasion instead

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bloods EndBloods End Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Every single thing that Morrison and Jones have said is no major reboots no explaining anything major just a big story.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh
    Well screw it then.

• ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That doesn't mean that there won't be important changes in the DCU though. And if you don't know what's going on, just pick up DC Universe 0 when it comes out.

pygsig.png
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Oh
    Well screw it then.

screw it because it's not going to change stuff that already happened?

2mzmv83.jpg
This discussion has been closed.