As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me some new PSP games.

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
So I've been playing my Psp alot lately, and I am loving Disgaea, own Final Fantasy Tactics, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and Lumines II. Aaand that's pretty much it. I'm looking for some good platformer action, and more rpg goodness mainly, but anything else is also appreciated.

Rizzi on

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crisis Core
    God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    Patapon
    Jeane D'arc
    Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
    Killzone: Liberation
    Daxter
    Beats
    Wipeout: Pure

That should get you started.

Khavall on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Excellent.
    Is the Psp Ratchet and Clank game good?

Rizzi on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sounds like you're into srpgs. In that case, pick up Wild Arms XF. Very well done srpg with hexes instead of squares, fun combat, and actual challenging gameplay that forces you to think instead of grinding and grinding for hours.

Brave Story: New Traveller is a great example of a more traditional rpg. Worht picking up.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is good, as is Puzzle Quest if you don't already have it on another platform.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    edited March 2008
    I like all kinds of rpg's really.
    Is Tales of Eternia worth finding?

Rizzi on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Riviera, if you don't own it on the GBA.
    Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, if you didn't own it on the PS1.

And being the Mega Man fan I am:

Mega Man Powered Up - this is the gold standard of remakes that all remakes should be held up to. It is absolutely superb.

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X - not as good a remake as MMPU, but it's Mega Man X! Can't go wrong.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited March 2008
    I've never played a Mega Man game before. Now might be a good time to start? :P

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    BUY MEGA MAN POWERED UP, for the love of all that is good and proper!

And after that, dig out your GBA (or DS) and get yourself introduced to Mega Man Zero!

(In what I supposed can be somewhat considered a good thing, you can probably find MMPU really cheap because it sold like dog poop. :()

Pureauthor on
    edited March 2008
    lostwords wrote: »
    Sounds like you're into srpgs. In that case, pick up Wild Arms XF. Very well done srpg with hexes instead of squares, fun combat, and actual challenging gameplay that forces you to think instead of grinding and grinding for hours.

Brave Story: New Traveller is a great example of a more traditional rpg. Worht picking up.

Neither of those games is out here.
    :|

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    I'm looking online to see if anywhere near me has Mega Man Powered Up in stock. :P
    I can't find it though.

Rizzi on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Excellent.
    Is the Psp Ratchet and Clank game good?

I think it's excellent, and I keep meaning to pick it up but I just don't have the money for it that's not going to newer games. I rented it for a few weeks and it was really well done. If you've played the console versions, it's pretty much the same deal—which is great, because R&C is a blast. The camera feels a little tight and cramped at times if you're used to the PS2 versions, but it's nothing that kept me from having a good time.

I'm playing FF7: Crisis Core right now and it's fucking golden, possibly the best killer app on the system to date. If you have any positive reaction toward FF7, it's an instabuy, and even if you don't but are just in the mood for a really good action-RPG (think something between Kingdom Hearts and the Tales series), I definitely recommend it. Speaking of Tales—if you like the 2-D iterations of the series, Tales of Eternia is excellent. I'm not sure where you're located, but the European version has full English and voice-acting, and it's really good.

I liked Jeanne D'Arc but it's much more streamlined and simplified as opposed to something like Disgaea and FFT. I kind of prefer the simpler approach, but if you really crave customization and strategy you might want to go with something like Wild Arms XF, which I've heard great raving about from forumers who are into that scene. (Haven't tried it myself yet.)

If you like quirky with awesome art direction, grab Patapon right away. It's only $20 and it's the best hybrid of RTS and rhythm game you'll play all year! You may also like Loco Roco.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2008
    I'm from Australia, so Crisis Core isn't out till.. June I believe.
    I loved Ratchet and Clank on Ps3, so I'll probably grab that soon. (Seen is for real cheap in a few places)
    I'm not sure if Jeanne D'Arc is out here either.

Rizzi on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'm looking online to see if anywhere near me has Mega Man Powered Up in stock. :P
    I can't find it though.

I know a lot of fellow Aussies use these guys. They've got it in stock for about $22 Aussie dollars, then shipping. I think Jeanne D'Arc is price dropped too there.

I use them all the time, quick delivery and lots of cut price stuff.

Electronics Boutique have Valkyrie Profile on their 2 for $50 sale at the moment, so grab that. Since your PSP is region free, I would recommend just importing everything, you'll get most titles far cheaper and sooner than you would here.

Jeanne D'Arc
    Metal Gear Acid 1&2
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Valkyrie Profile
    Disgaea
    Brave Story
    Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Crisis Core looks good too, but I haven't had my copy arrive yet.

Edit: Puzzle Quest is great as well. I'd recommend it on DS over PSP since the PSP version had bug problems with companions, but its a great title on any of the platforms its on.

Kelor on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is good
    Yes yes a thousand times yes

Rondo of Blood alone is bitchin', but a revamped, portable Symphony of the Night? Without "I am the Wind" as the ending theme? Yeeeeees.

Elendil on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I found castlevania to be a disappointment, you should be aware that it's one of the original platformer types and not one of the newer RPG castlevanias.

Edit: Wait, I can unlock Symphony of the Night if I persevere? Hmmmmm.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited March 2008
    Excellent. Thanks dude.

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles is good
    Yes yes a thousand times yes

Rondo of Blood alone is bitchin', but a revamped, portable Symphony of the Night? Without "I am the Wind" as the ending theme? Yeeeeees.

I'd buy it for Rondo of Blood. I already have SotN. :P
    I actually set out to find it when I grabbed Disgaea, but no-one had it.

Rizzi on
    edited March 2008
    Actually, the real reason one would want Dracula X Chronicles is for the older ports. The remake itself isn't too good.

Pureauthor on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh one thing about that Canadian site Rizzi, sometimes it'll charge you like $100 for shipping for some reason. If you just cut some of the items down to single item purchases it'll drop way back down.

Kelor on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll second Wild Arms EX, when it comes out in your area, GET IT! Better then FF7 in gameplay, dunno about story line alone. Finally an SRPG that involves large maps and strategy to support it as opposed to just grinding for levels and hitting things as hard as possible (slowing turns down/sucking mana is sometimes much more useful to doing uber damage).

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
    edited March 2008
    Jeanne D' Arc and Crisis Core for $111 Aus including shipping.
    Awesome.

Rizzi on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daxter is a fun game, I've not played much of it because I got it a few days before I got GoW and then when I beat GoW I went into FF7CC a few days after it.

Mercury is a pretty fun puzzle game. Nothing like Lumines though.

The GTA games are also pretty fun for games that are basically PS2 ports to the PSP. That's how I see the games, and that's not a bad thing either, right?

Untold Legends Brotherhood of the Blade is a pretty fun game too. If you like a decent dungeon crawler that you can pick up for 10 - 15 minutes and save anytime, this is a good one. It gets repetitive after the first few hours or so and doesn't have high replayability, and has a pretty dull story line, but I enjoyed it since it was one of the better early titles.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    Speaking of Tales—if you like the 2-D iterations of the series, Tales of Eternia is excellent. I'm not sure where you're located, but the European version has full English and voice-acting, and it's really good.

I've never played a Tales game before.

Rizzi on
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Just FYI, the PSP is region free, so importing is always an option (tends to be a lot cheaper too).

Tales of Eternia is awesome. It's just a fun action RPG, with frantic 2D battles.

Crush is awesome too if you ever see it around. It's a unique puzzle/platformer, kind of hard though.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • CreativeNameHereCreativeNameHere Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Metal Gear Ac!d 1&2. Don't be put off by the fact that they use cards. I go back and play MGA2 more than any other PSP game.

CreativeNameHere on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What's the better of the two Syphon Filter games?

Also, which is the good, traditional Metal Gear game - Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, or Portable Ops Plus?

Isn't the latter just a multiplayer thing?

Is FFT: Lion war a remake of FFT1?

Is the Ghouls/Ghosts game good?

What's better - Lumines or Lumines II?

Which is the best RPG on the system, or.. arguably?

What's better - Wipeout Pure or Wipeout Pulse?

My brother just bought a PSP, so I'm making a list of games that he should try to get, so far I have:

God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Lumines
    Wipeout: Pure
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (it's a remake of the first FFT)
    Final Fantasy VII : Crisis Core
    Patapon
    Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
    Daxter
    Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
    LocoRoco
    Mega Man Powered Up (remake of MM1)
    Mega Man Maverick Hunter X (remake of MMX1)
    Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (remake of the best 16 bit Castlevania Rondo of Blood, but includes Symphony of the Night)
    Guilty Gear Judgment - basically Guilty Gear X2 #R, but portable

He's a semi-fan of RPGs, because he loved FF7 and FFT1 but I'm unsure what other RPGs he may like..

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    also, is Crisis core an action-rpg, or more like traditional FF7 gameplay?

also, isn't Killzone Liberation a strategy game rather than an FPS or 3rd person shooter?

slash000 on
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Liberation is top-down, yes. I've heard really good reviews and really bad reviews for it, and until it lowers in price I don't think I'll be getting it to see for myself.

There have sure been a lot of these threads. War of the Lions is a remake of the original, I was told. If you mean Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins, I have it and it's not really my thing. It's not a remake of the original - it's a whole new game - but the controls just aren't my cup of tea. Still trying to work through it though.

Logan's Shadow is $20 new. Even if it isn't better than Dark Mirror it's still worth picking up.

Silvoculous on
    edited March 2008
    But which of the two is the better game, regardless of price?

slash000 on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Action-RPG. I've heard the combat being compared to Kingdom Hearts but I've never played KH so I wouldn't know. I'm used to turn based RPGs so it took a bit of getting used to, but ultimately I found it to be pretty fun.

In any case, I can't recommend Crisis Core enough. It's the best game I've played in probably the past year, and that's including awesome titles like Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank Future.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What's the better of the two Syphon Filter games?

Also, which is the good, traditional Metal Gear game - Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, or Portable Ops Plus?
    Is FFT: Lion war a remake of FFT1?

Which is the best RPG on the system, or.. arguably?

My brother just bought a PSP, so I'm making a list of games that he should try to get, so far I have:

He's a semi-fan of RPGs, because he loved FF7 and FFT1 but I'm unsure what other RPGs he may like..

Lot of questions - I'll answer the ones I can.

RE: Syphon Filter games. I kinda liked the first one better. The swimming and water parts did nothing for me in the second game. Additionally, the added ability to use people as cover and the ability to blind fire were both used by me exactly zero times. Dark Mirror really nailed the whole shooter experience on the PSP to me. That's not to say Logan's Shadow is bad at all mind you - but if you're going to play just one I'd pick Dark Mirror.

RE: MG: Portable Ops vs. PO+ - I've only played PO, and if you want to play the single player game at all, you kinda have to go with PO. :-) I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I am still finishing up runs to pick up the unlockable charcters. I don't do on-line much at all at the moment so I can't comment on the on-line experience.

RE: FFT:WotL - is a remake of FFT on the PS1. However, it's an awesome remake. The dialogue is worlds better, the animated cutscenes are gorgeous, and there's additional content to boot. It's even got Balthier from FF XII in it.
    I have a bit of a man crush on Balthier. Don't judge me.

RE: RPGs - I haven't played all of the RPGs out there on the system. I thoroughly enjoyed Brave Story, FFT, Disgaea, and Jeanne D'Arc, and heck even Wild ARMs (I never played it on the PS1). I think Crisis Core is gonna be hard to beat though for best RPG on the PSP.

RE: List of games - solid list there.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Portable Ops Plus is multiplayer-only, but good luck finding plain old Portable Ops. It seems to have disappeared.

Silvoculous on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Portable Ops Plus is multiplayer-only, but good luck finding plain old Portable Ops. It seems to have disappeared.

Amazon has the regular ole Portable Ops for $20. Its where I bought mine.

So far own 4 psp games. Got them all for $20 and would recommend them. I've listed them in order I from most like to least like.

Portable Ops A bit of a learning curve but oh so worth it. Must buy if Metal Gear fan.
    Castlevania X Old school castlevania game play. (If you didn't like NES/SNES versions, then don't bother)
    Crush I just started playing this today. Quirky puzzle/platformer. Fun so far. (first 10 levels)
    Daxter Classic platformer. I started playing this but put it down when I got Castlevania. I'll come back to it later.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited March 2008
    I think I'm gonna get the following games.
    Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters. (Love R&C games :))
    Daxter. (Platforming goooo)
    Valkyrie Profile. (Not too sure about this one, but I can get it for dirt cheap)
    Castlevania: Dracula X.

Rizzi on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

also, isn't Killzone Liberation a strategy game rather than an FPS or 3rd person shooter?

No. There are some pretty limited orders you can give allies (similar to RS Vegas) but it's a third person shooter. Think of how the camera works in MGS1 (except it'll usually zoom out when something happens off-screen) but then imagine Snake running around shooting

Also, I really need to point out that FFT is NOT a remake. It's a port, with additional features (though they are totally awesome).

And your other questions:

Syphon Filter: Honestly, I'd probably say Dark Mirror. Like ironsizide said, none of the new features in Logan's Shadow are really that great (the underwater parts are mostly pretty lame), though it does have a much better story than Dark Mirror.
    Metal Gear: He'll want MGS: Portable Ops. No question.
    RPGs: Right now, FFT. But when FFVII:CC comes out over here, my opinion will in all likelihood change.
    Lumines: I've only played Lumines 2 so I'm not entirely sure. From what I've heard, the main difference between the two is that Lumines 2 has a lot of licensed songs, while Lumines 1 doesn't.
    Wipeout: Wipeout Pulse is the better of the two.

As for your list, it's pretty damn good. I'd probably add Jeanne d'Arc, SOCOM: Tactical Strike, Silent Hill: Origins and Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Collection (portable Phantasy Star IV is pretty awesome) though.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited March 2008
    OK, cool, I think that answers everything :^:

Thanks

slash000 on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FFT on psp is not really a remake, its a port with with new features added. So if you liked the playstation game, you'll like the psp game, its the exact same game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you can manage to get your hands on it, the Metal Gear Solid Digital Graphic Novel is a fun little novelty that should keep you busy for a while (especially if you're an MGS fan).

Ape Escape: On the Loose, if you ever played the original on the PSOne and loved it as much as I dude (though I will admit I bought it purely for the nostalgia).

While we're on the subject of nostalgia, one of the best buys you can get for the PSP is the Sega Genesis Collection. Classic Sonic, classic Ecco, not to mention both Vectormans and Comix Zone. Can't go wrong with that one, plus it has more unlockable games than the PS2 version.

Crisis Core and god of War need no introduction. Buy. Now.

Liberty City Stories is pretty much a no-brainer if you've ever enjoyed a GTA game. Personally (and I know I'm in the minority here), I didn't care for San Andreas or Vice City, hence why I won't recommend Vice City Stories. For me, Liberty City is as much a part of the GTA world as killing and robbing the hooker you just solicited. None of the others have had the same kind of magic that III did for me, though since VI takes place in Liberty, I have high hopes for it.

Silent Hill: 0rigins is not only a great Silent Hill game, but an awesome addition to the PSP's lackluster roster of survival horror titles.

I heard the Mega Man games mentioned a few posts back. Personally, I enjoyed the slightly darker, more mature tone and story of Maverick Hunter X over Powered-Up. But maybe that's just my unhealthy man-love for Zero talking. :P

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
    edited March 2008
    Oh, I forgot to mention, yeah, there are some good collections on the PSP. Metal Slug Anthology, Gradius Collection, Sega Genesis Collection, and the Capcom Collections are all good.

slash000 on
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh, I forgot to mention, yeah, there are some good collections on the PSP. Metal Slug Anthology, Gradius Collection, Sega Genesis Collection, and the Capcom Collections are all good.

Power Stone Collection is very good port of both games and I can vouche for it being a lot of fun.

I can't believe we have made it to page 2 with no one mentioning Monster Hunter Freedom 2. So far it is my favorite game on the system.

corin7 on