As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeon Siege vs Dungeon Explorer PSP a battle royale of crawlers!

jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
So I'm in the mood to crawl me some dungeons on the go. Let's get this grudge match off the ground! Pick me one pros and cons for both please. Thanks in advance for any responses/insights.

jagermeister73.png
jagermeister73 on

• Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Get the sequel. It's far better than Dungeon Siege 1 and you should get it for like ten bucks. Don't know about the addons or the PSP version, though.

jot on
  • Options
    BrandXSaviorBrandXSavior Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have Dungeon Siege for the PSP and dig on it. It's pretty much a classic "old school" style hack-N-slash action RPG in the "Western High Fantasy" style. You can play it either with just your main character or with 1 of several companions (I usually use either a healing companion to keep me healthy during fights or a ranged attacker since my main is usually a melee warrior). It's definitely a game you can play for short periods to kill time or spend more time with and get into the fairly large world and dungeons you can explore. Of course it has the obligitory "kill lots of creatures and get bigger and better loot" style of gameplay that the action RPGs are known for.

I also picked up Silverfall for the PSP as I like the PC version (I had to import it from Australia to get an English version). It's pretty much the same type of action RPG but set in a world where you can choose between nature or technology to advance your character.

I haven't played Dungeon Explorer as I really don't like the anime style JRPGs, so I can't speak to how it compares with Dungeon Siege.

BrandXSavior on
    Brand%20X%20Savior.png
    XBOX Live: BrandXSavior
    Wii: 4629 5078 1523 8513
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is this the same dungeon siege that's on the PC? If so, then pass. I played the game when it first came out and it made me want to vomit in terror.

Dungeon Explorer on the other hand is a great game. Suffers from some bad sound effects and stuff, but other than that it's golden.

Also an anime style JRPG? What?! Dungeon Explorer isn't anime style at all.

urahonky on
  • Options
    BrandXSaviorBrandXSavior Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is this the same dungeon siege that's on the PC? If so, then pass. I played the game when it first came out and it made me want to vomit in terror.

Dungeon Explorer on the other hand is a great game. Suffers from some bad sound effects and stuff, but other than that it's golden.

Also an anime style JRPG? What?! Dungeon Explorer isn't anime style at all.

It's not the same game as on the PC, same style (e.g. hack-n-slash action RPG), but a different game. It follows along with some of the same elements from Dungeon Siege 2, but still a different game with it's own story.

As far as anime style; I was just basing that on the images for the game I'd seen (the cover and some of the dialog windows or menu items). If it's not, than cool...I guess. :|

BrandXSavior on
    Brand%20X%20Savior.png
    XBOX Live: BrandXSavior
    Wii: 4629 5078 1523 8513
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dungeon Siege PSP is boring.

Dungeon Explorer PSP starts out boring and after about 3 hours turns into one of the greatest games on the console.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Dungeon Siege PSP is boring.

Dungeon Explorer PSP starts out boring and after about 3 hours turns into one of the greatest games on the console.

Expand on this please, I have heard some good and bad things about it, what do you like about it? I am trying to guage if its more me, I hanker for a hack and slash crawler like the Baldurs Gate Xbox games, does equipment have any effect on your model (a fussy but relevant ideal of mine), hows the atmosphere?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pimpin' my old thread as an alternative to the games mentioned. Metacritic has it at a 70 which isn't too bad.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg