As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resume advice

SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So after bombing my insurance exam and unable to retake it until the end of this month, I am left with the predicament of finding a (possibly) temporary job. Long story short, if it's possible, can some of you take a look at my resume and offer advice on how to tailor it? I do know that my objective does need to be tailored to whomever I'm sending it to, so disregard that. Thank you very much in advance.

smokeco3.jpg
Speakeasy on

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Host your resume somewhere temporary like http://www.putfile.com/ so we can see it.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well I was going to just PM the link to whoever was going to help, since I'm not too keen on giving out my info to everyone.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What you really need to focus on is your cover letter. The resume is like the basement, its the foundation. But the cover letter is the vinyl siding, if it doesn't look good then they wont bother turning the page.

So make sure you post your cover letter here too

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HRWNAJKG

Obviously this is not a great resume, which is why I am asking for help. I'm pretty convinced that, with the cover letter I'll be inserting into the emails I'll be sending, I won't need the objective part on the top, so disregard it.

e: I did not include a cover letter because I'm going to be applying to different kinds of jobs (tutor, administrative assistant among others).

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Your opening sentence doesn't sit right with me. It sounds like you're just here to put in your time and get some expirence under your belt before you move on. You're also not looking for expirence "in the working world". Tailor the resume and state the field of the job you're applying for. McDonalds gets you expirence "in the working world", you're trying to convince these people you want to do their shit for a living.

You might benifit from a little formatting work, pretty things up a little. This isn't eye catching at all and looks more like a page full of notes than a resume. Office has a lot of resume templates that look quite nice, and you can find infinate templates online. Choose one that is not overly flashy, but has a structured, orderly layout that is easy to scan and pick information out of. Bullet points for your job duties and accomplishments helps them stand out much better. Basically this runs together and just looks a bit sloppy. A more polished resume template will help things stand out better and help you fit more information into less space. Space is a premium on a resume.

You could also dress up the actual job duties with a little more detail. For instance what kind of homework did you help children with? What sort of activities did you supervise? What was the age range of the kids? How big was the budget of the program you assisted with, and what sort of program was it? What kind of forms were completed, and what sort of data was entered? What system did you do the data entry on? What sort of computer system and applications did you use (if this is remotely applicable to your new job)?

Your expirence blurbs just need to say a bit more, be as specifically vague as possible, if that makes any sense. Also, what sort of computer(s) and computer programming are you proficient in, exactly?

Put your references at the ass end, especially if you're only going to mention they're available upon request.

Finally, if you're looking at a 2 page resume, you might as well provide them. You've got plenty of space, don't leave the 2nd page half blank.

I think with a better document template, you could squash this down to 1 page. The 1 page vs 2 page resume question is difficult to answer, but I would suggest looking for a sharper formatted resume either way. If you're "proficient in computer" (fix that grammar error too), make sure your resume doesn't look like you typed it out in 10 mins in Word with just some bolded and underlined stuff. Not too extravagant, no need for shading and graphics and stuff, but it could definately look more professional.

If I were handed your resume in a stack of resumes, i'd probably flip through both pages, think to myself that it looks kinda disorganized and messy, and round file it.

You are trying to sell yourself as total hot shit and the best lookin candidate they've seen. Make sure your resume says that about you regardless of the words it actually contains. If your resume looks half-assed, it reflects on you badly.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but your potential boss might be. Don't take any of this wrong, I'm doing my best to look at it with a critical eye.

EDIT: also, are you currently employed? are you leaving on good terms? If so, is your boss the sort of person who would go over this for you as well? My last boss did that for me and cleaned things up immensely.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]