As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Preliminary interview for a programming job, non CS major - what should I expect?

jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid?NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Here's the situation - tomorrow, I have an interview for a programming position, and have to take a series of tests/whatnot. I'm not sure of what to expect, though - I'm a math/econ graduate with rudimentary programming skills (basically, enough to solve math problems, when necessary). I explained that I know my way around MATLAB moreso than C++ or VB, and they didn't really know what MATLAB is.

Anyhow, any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

tOkYVT2.jpg
jkylefulton on

• Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What kind of language does this job require? If it's anything Object Oriented, expect questions on that. If it is, I can give you a few examples I give when I interview developers.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here you go:
    Ideal candidates will have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other related technical field. Excellent opportunity to learn object oriented design, SQL database design, client/server architecture and communications/component programming. Knowledge of technologies such as VB.NET, C#, C++, Visual Basic and/or SQL Server is helpful. Previous work experience or internship a plus but not required. Positions are full-time with competitive benefits

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=53618&page=2

That's not just for game programmers.

Doc on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Here you go:
    Ideal candidates will have a Bachelors Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other related technical field. Excellent opportunity to learn object oriented design, SQL database design, client/server architecture and communications/component programming. Knowledge of technologies such as VB.NET, C#, C++, Visual Basic and/or SQL Server is helpful. Previous work experience or internship a plus but not required. Positions are full-time with competitive benefits

Sounds a lot like my job! :P

Here's a few basics to go over:

What are the 3 pillars of OO design? (They're the three I list below)
    Why is Encapsulation important?
    What makes Polymorphism such a powerful design?
    When is Inheritance NOT the best choice?

Then, read up a bit on the idea of Interfaces.

Ganluan on