As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

new keyboard

cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Right now I have a saitek eclipse that's a few years old, but it's finally dying... the text on keys are wearing off (which happened only months after getting it), and some of the buttons aren't responsive anymore...

So, I need a new keyboard. Does anyone have any suggestions on good ones? I would buy the same kind again, except that I would like one that doesn't have keys that wear off that quickly. Here is what I require:

- I don't want any of the crappy ones with the ins/home/pgup/del/end/pgdwn keys in retarded places. I use these keys all the time when I type and play games, and can't stand it when they're in the wrong places.

- I don't want stupid ass special function keys where my normal keys should be.

- However, volume keys are okay as long as they aren't where normal keys are.

- I want to be able to press more than a few keys at once, so I can actually play games. Nothing like having a keyboard that doesn't let me, e.g., run, jump, and shoot at the same time.

- I don't care if it's wired or wireless, but if it's wireless, it obviously can't be laggy...

- I don't want to pay $80 for a keyboard.

Does anyone know of any good keyboards that satisfy these requirements? I'd hate to just go buy one off amazon or something and find out it sucks, and you can't really go and try these out in stores, so, any advice you can give is great!

The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
cfgauss on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    best keyboard I've ever owned I am using right now

E-machines KB-0108

it has buttons to play, pause, FF, RW things, shortcut buttons for

Sleep, Calculator, Mute, +/- volume, Internet (AWESOME x 80 billion SO much better than clicking), E-mail, Search, Back, Forward, and Favorite

all at the top, out of the way

plus Cut, Copy, and Paste to the left

I fee like I'm in minority report with how fast i use this damn thing

All keys are in their right places, nothing changed at all

keys have bounce to them, even after my 5 years using it

on mine, the "s" has started to rub away but, again, 5+ years of constant and heavy use.

it's a tad loud, you can definitely hear your button pushes, the springs give off some decent kick

and it costs, I believe, 20ish bucks

Raneados on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mm, can't find anything good online with the price but it's just really simple and black, no wrist pad

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ah here we go

40 bucks

http://www.directron.com/kb0108.html

ON SALE 6 bucks

Raneados on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I'm going to suggest finding an old Model M.

Easy to clean and built like a fucking tank. It will probably outlive you.

bombardier on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Now, I know you were against an expensive keyboard, but I was able to find one cheap for about 30% off, and managed to snag a Razer Tarantula for about 55$, and it is very very awesome.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    ah here we go

40 bucks

http://www.directron.com/kb0108.html

ON SALE 6 bucks

I'm using this at work right now (my weekend job), and it's not bad. It's a really dirty office here, with dust everwhere, and this keyboard still works quite well. I don't know how old it is, but the keys are all clearly labelled still and everything is responsive. I don't use the stupid shortcut keys but they're there and everything else is logically-placed and easy to use. The Home and Delete keys are where they should be, the number pad is great, and everything feels smooth when I type on it.

And, for six bucks? Wow. Buy five if you're worried about lifespan. That's still 30 bucks.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    seriously though emachines keyboards last forever

and are durable

I've dropped mine more than I'd care to admit

Raneados on
  • Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I used that eMachines keyboard for 4 years now, and it is awesome. No problems with it after all that heavy use.

The play, pause, and volume buttons on it are also placed well and very helpful IMO.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    cfgausscfgauss Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    that one looks alright, but it's a ps/2 plug, and not usb... the KVM I have only has USB slots, so I can't use that without a ps/2 -> USB converter. My recollection is that those tend to break the function keys. Although I don't normally use them, except for volume.

cfgauss on
    The hero and protagonist, whose story the book follows, is the aptly-named Hiro Protagonist: "Last of the freelance hackers and Greatest sword fighter in the world." When Hiro loses his job as a pizza delivery driver for the Mafia, he meets a streetwise young girl nicknamed Y.T. (short for Yours Truly), who works as a skateboard "Kourier", and they decide to become partners in the intelligence business.
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bombardier wrote: »

I have a friend who swears by his.

Once he was cycling home and it accidentally killed a mouse.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    bombardier wrote: »

I can guarantee that keyboard would outlive me in very short order. My girlfriend would withstand the PCHUNG PCHUNG PCHUNG key strike noise it makes for oh, maybe ten minutes. And then she would beat me to death with it. Which wouldn't be hard to do, given the keyboard's weight and toughness. You'd have to run it through a dishwasher to get all the blood out of the keys afterwards, but I'm sure it would work fine following that.

Seriously though, that's the one major downside to a Model M. I exaggerate for comedic effect, but compared to most modern keyboards those clicky keys on the old IBM keyboards are quite loud. I've seriously wanted one for years, but I know it would piss my girlfriend off something fierce.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ketronic E03600QLPS2B-C

This is the keyboard the original DAS KEYBOARD was made of before they switched it to a model-m clone. It was 30 bucks direct from keytronic. The model I listed is ps/2 but they also have usb.

This is the keyboard with separately weighted keys depending on the finger used to press it. This means that keys you press with you pinky are naturally lighter and depress more easily than keys you hit with your index or thumb (spacebar.) It feels incredibly smooth when you use it, unlike this piece of crap white mac keyboard I have to use now.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg