As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HUGE art dump starts with life drawing [NSFW and dial-up warning]

BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Artist's Corner
These were done during the Fall '07 quarter at my college. Not necessarily in chronological order, as i never dated or signed much of anything I did (though I really, really should have). I realize a lot of these may be hard to see because I didn't edit them after scanning, so sorry to those of you who can't make out some of the pictures.

File0001.jpg
foot study! Actually, it's mah friend Cortney's foot. This one didn't turn out so well. (a more recent picture... we did it like a week or two before our final class)

File0002.jpg
A MUCH better study. Same foot, different position. Messed up on the toe.

File0003.jpg
Our teacher told us to invent some clothed poses of humans. I was SO EXCITED we actually got assigned this. I made a more finished digital version of the girl, too.

File0004.jpg
Funny story, the piece of cloth i got the idea to draw after looking at a drapery study I did, but the picture was resting on its side instead of upright.

File0006.jpg
File0007.jpg
File0008.jpg
Our teacher borrowed some anatomical figures from the nursing program people for us to study the muscles. Fun! (the part on the bottom of the last one was copied out of a book he owns on the human anatomy. I forgot the name, but I MUST HAVE THAT BOOK.)

File0009.jpg
A copy of one of Da Vinci's studies. One of our earlier assignments was to copy a renaissance-ish human study artwork by a great master. My teacher said a lot of people use this one.

File0010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/oliverat/life%20drawing%2007%20part%201/File0011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/oliverat/life%20drawing%2007%20part%201/File0012.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/oliverat/life%20drawing%2007%20part%201/File0013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/oliverat/life%20drawing%2007%20part%201/File0014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/oliverat/life%20drawing%2007%20part%201/File0015.jpg
One of our very first assignments was to get one of these little wooden figurines and draw it in 10 different poses (I didn't do quite that many, but oh well). The first three he said were good drawings, but they lacked any background, so it didn't look like a good drawing of a figure in space. The next three were better, but they needed better framing instead of the messy way I abruptly ended one picture and started another. I would have done more, but I'm lazy.

my self-portrait (approximately one hour, ten minutes):
la-moi.jpg

AND NOW, for the big guns (the ones too large for my scanner):

Once again, many of these are littered with doodles. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out which ones are doodles and which ones are the actual assignment. :P

life1.jpg
Skeleton study, ballpoint pen. (for the record, it says Oreos on the picture because my phone went off in class and my teacher has a cookies rule for that happening. People wanted Oreos, so I wrote it down to help me remember)

life2.jpg
female model, brushpen.

life3.jpg
We did a lot of these, though not usually with our left hands. They were quite fun. Charcoal.

life4.jpg
Took me many tries to get that box drawn correctly. I thought I had it right, started adding in the items, realized it didn't work... when I managed to fix it up right it all just sort of fell into place. Took one class to do, so I'd say it was about 2 hours of work.
I have a much better one than this that I spent around 10 hours working on, but I have no good pictures of it. =/ I'll try to take another picture tonight or tomorrow when my sister gets home from snowboarding, since I think she took the camera with her. (Pencil, btw)

life5.jpg
My teacher absolutely loves the one on the right. Still can't quite get why. Says I should expect it from art teachers, though: spend 30 hours on one thing, but they'll fall in love with and talk about the doodle you spent 15 minutes on instead. Charcoal.

life6.jpg
It may look kind of ugly, but I love this picture. Rule was you couldn't take your pen off the paper. I would love to do more of this some day. Ballpoint pen.

life7.jpg
Same here.

life8.jpg
First complete life drawing piece, I'd think. Went pretty well! Charcoal, sadly on newsprint.

life9.jpg
My actual art final. The subject is me, posing in a pink-and-brown striped sweater in the bathroom in front of the mirror. Drawing the right arm was a bit tricky since I was drawing with it at the same time. I wish I had a better picture of it. :( Done in pencil.

life10.jpg
This would be more complete if it weren't for the fact that using ink was kind of driving me nuts. I worked on it in between working on...

life11.jpg
... which I like much better. Teacher said this way of drawing "matched my energy" or some nonsense. It is fun to do, though.

life12.jpg
I actually signed this picture but the signature was about half as big as the image itself, so I cropped it out.

Believe on

• Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No replies?

I like this stuff. You seem to be developing a more confident way with the pencil. Your anatomy is a bit weak in places but that too seems to be improving. Keep it up, and welcome back to the forums :D

Lly on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    la-moi.jpg

This one really stood out to me, and I like it above all the rest. You do show alot of confidence with a pencil, just be sure your getting the basic porportions right and what not.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lly!: It's a little odd how I often get a lot of feedback in the doodles thread but barely any if I make my own. Maybe I put out too much this time? Hnn I think I did.
    In any case, many thanks. :) I appreciate the comments!

Mykonos: Well, I -do- know my own face pretty well. Though I couldn't get the corners of the mouth right (it looks like I'm smirking, but that's just the way my mouth is shaped). In any case, thank you.

I went through the stuff I did for my Intro to Color class and realized there wasn't a lot worth scanning since so much of it was odd color doodle paints. Here's what I found worth mentioning.

distance.jpg
    For an assignment in which we use color to represent distance. I had pulled my sketchbook out and flipped to this page when the instructor stopped mid-speech to pick it up and show it off. I find it rather garish, myself, but he says I got the assignment perfectly.

yellowlamp.jpg
    A from-life paint. Ignoring the skewed-ed-ness of it all, it's surprisingly true to life. Maybe painting still life isn't as scary as I think it is!

Annnd some stuff I made for my final in the class:

colorfinal-concept.jpg
    I wanted to do something with the primary colors and their split-complements. This was the first idea's color test, since I wanted them to have different poses. Ultimately, it was scrapped.

redgreen-copy.jpg
    Fleshing it out a bit before deciding not to go with it. Inspired by Emmy Cicierega <3

yellowpurple-small.jpg
    ... and done just for my own amusement. I like the background pattern but it's very distracting. At the same time the background is glaringly bright without it.

The new idea I had was with three people, each in their own picture to give off a certain feeling with the use of colors.

mischief-yellow.jpg
    mischief
    sorrow-blue.jpg
    sorrow
    passion-red.jpg
    passion

Mischief color test:
    mischief-yellow1.jpg

I also scrapped that, though, because it was too character and expression-oriented, not relying enough on color.

The one I DID go with was this (but the images are meant to be viewed separately):

color-final.jpg

i'll let you draw your own conclusions for what each image represents. It's not that hard, I'd think. Very well-received by the class and teacher!

Believe on