As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] The Final Frontier: Star Trek RPGs

skinny87skinny87 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
StarTrek.jpg
To boldly go where no-one has gone before...

If you're a Trekkie, then I expect you'll know the rest of that phrase. I recently really got into paper and pen role-playing games, having just started playing the Call of Cthulu tabletop game. But, being a Star Trek fan, and being on a particularly focused Trekkie reading/watching/other binge at the moment, I began looking for Star Trek-based role-playing games.

I found, via Wikipedia, that there are actually two systems published in the last decade or so. The earlier was by The Last Unicorn, and the later was published by Decipher, which lost the license to do so. Both systems look quite interesting, although The Last Unicorn system seems to have a greater wealth of detail, particularly online.

So, I ask you, denizens of Critical Failure, have any of you played either of these systems, or had any experience of them? Which is the better system? The easiest and the simplest to play?

Thanks to Thanatos for helping me set this thread up.

skinny87 on

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've played both.

I preferred Last Unicorn, but I think that was more due to the amount of material available. The systems were kind of a crap shoot for me... I do remember Decipher's being a little cleaner. Honestly, thought the systems for both were kind of weak, and that I could have done better with Storyteller, D6, or even GURPS if given the time to suss it out. I didn't have the time to suss it out.

GungHo on