As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tabletop/Card Games

BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in PAX Archive
Seeing as this is my first PAX, I don't have any first hand experience and wanted to know ahead of time: How extensive is the non-video-gaming presence at PAX? I don't really need any full-on role playing, since there's really not enough time for that over the time I'll be there and I haven't RPed in forever anyway, but board and card games with new people could be a very welcome experience. I've seen the thread about Munchkin, which sounds awesome, but I was also wondering about CCGs as well as things like Arkham Horror, etc.

Please give me happy answers. :P

BrennaCeDria on

• MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If there's enough space in PAX I could bring my Twilight Imperium (3rd ed.) + Shattered Empire (expansion pack).
    It's a very nice strategy Civ-like kinda game, for 3 to 8 players. Games can last anything from 3 hours to 8-9 tops :P

Accelerate!

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sounds almost like Arkham Horror. The box says 2-4 hours, I think, but on average we always have to add at least one hour, sometimes two, to that estimate regardless of the number of expansions we are or aren't playing at the time.

BrennaCeDria on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    length-wise maybe...but Arkham Horror is a co-operative game and Twilight Imperium is most certainly not.

I like the TI expansion, makes the game much more...confrontational.

tr0tsky on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There is a ton of tabletop and CCG playing at PAX. I personally plan on spending a bunch of time playing WOW TCG and Mechaton (LEGO mech strategy game). As it gets closer you will see more threads starting to organize these games.

PeasantDave on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, the game is so much better with the expansion pack...one of my best buys, ever.

So, anyway, is there enough space at PAX? I remember that at the Gen-Con there is this guy from FFG who sets up 12 (!) player matches of TI3. (But going there is for my -next- trip to the US XD )

Accelerate!

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

• M0nk3y523M0nk3y523 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you're looking for board games, I'm sure there's enough space at PAX for anything that tickles your fancy. I know I saw a bunch of card games running in the exhibition hall, and in some of the other rooms there were things like D&D for Roleplaying and War Machine/Hordes for miniture games.

I'm sure though, if you post what you're interested in there will be several people who are willing to play. :lol:
    Hell, if you bring it, they will come.

And I'm sure that one of the girls I'm bringing would be willing to throw down on anything you bring :D

M0nk3y523 on
    myspace
    Wii Friend Code: 5730 7685 6843 4615
    SSBB Code: 3909 7563 1956
  • nerdgaymernerdgaymer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My first PAX too. I will probably be bringing Risk:Godstorm, with the hopes of getting some long 5 player games in there. Also some card games like munchkin (super and -thulu), citadels, and chez geek. Looking to try the WoW CCG (which I have never tried), and maybe some Magic (which has been ages since I played).

nerdgaymer on
    edited April 2008
    I'll surely bring that TI3 then; methinks I should open a thread to get people signed in, don'tcha think?

Oh, and now that you mention it, I've got my Legend of the Five Rings CCG deck and my "Brotherhood" VS System deck somewhere...

Maybe I should bring Starcraft the boardgame too? hehe

Accelerate!

Megamaniaco on

edited April 2008
    length-wise maybe...but Arkham Horror is a co-operative game

Haha, not with my group playing. I take great personal pride in my Monster Bag, and an equal amount of pride playing Diana Stanley any chance I get.

I'm personally hoping to get a game of Middle Earth at least once over PAX.

BrennaCeDria on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played a six hour long game of the Starcraft Boardgame last year.

Met some awesome people, but god damn, learning it was a bitch.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited April 2008
    Okay, so my husband hated Munchkin (Cthulhu version) when we play tested it this weekend, so to be nice to him and maintain domestic bliss I [may] be out on any games in August. However, if HE finds something he wants to do that he knows I DON'T want to do, and it's his idea that he wants to do unnamed other "thing" I'm so in. The game can be frustrating, but it's brilliant. :D

BrennaCeDria on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There is an area at PAX dedicated specifically to Tabletop games. We have rooms for playing, and a table where you can check out a variety of games.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd be all over some Magic, assuming I get a deck back together from my random assortment of cards.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • e_clipse_clips Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    one question, are they going to do the free play area for board games this year? last year they had a room set up with a ton of games that you could "check out" (had to give them your ID and they would give it back after you checked it back in) last year it was great because I got to try quite a few games I had never had a chance to play including TI3 (wich I now own among a few others). If this is going to happen again this year that will be where I'm at every night after the expo. It really is nice to be able to check out a game and give it a go before you shell out 50$+ for a game that you might not like. not sure if this was sponsored by fans of board games or local shops.

e_clips on
    Baron+Etori.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah there will be a tabletop freeplay.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Any word on if it'll be one large happy room of table top games or segregated like last year?

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does anybody remember the name of that game that had the Mexican Standoff with orange foam guns?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    proXimity wrote: »
    Any word on if it'll be one large happy room of table top games or segregated like last year?

Probably option B.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Does anybody remember the name of that game that had the Mexican Standoff with orange foam guns?

Ca$h and Gun$ or something similiar to that

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
    edited April 2008
    Misterioso wrote: »

Ca$h and Gun$ or something similiar to that

You sir... are getting a beer from me if you want it.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited April 2008
    Come to the Pre-Pax Drunkard Extravaganza at Shorty's on Thursday and I'll take you up on that beer :)

Ca$h 'n Gun$ is a fun game. I gave it as a bday present to a friend several months ago.

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
    edited April 2008
    Try making a drunk version of it: each "wound" is a shot of whiskey or something.

You'll see people dive into the fray XD

Megamaniaco on

edited April 2008
    oh yes, the game is greatly enhanced by large amounts of alcohol!

Misterioso on
  • Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Misterioso wrote: »
    oh yes, most things are greatly enhanced by large amounts of alcohol!

More like this.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
    edited April 2008
    I'm actually right now trying to devise a mod that would involve Nerf Mavericks.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm actually right now trying to devise a mod that would involve Nerf Mavericks.

Ooh, those are the Nerf six-shooters, right? I think I saw those somewhere... it looked really neat.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited April 2008

Ooh, those are the Nerf six-shooters, right? I think I saw those somewhere... it looked really neat.

They are not the neatest thing that NERF has done, but they are cool. Too bad there is the No-NERF policy at PAX. Oh well, that gives me more time to fine-tune the new rules.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited April 2008
    I wish Nerf was allowed... Although if I'm working security with Nerf I might get a little trigger happy. <_<

Liger on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    I wish Nerf was allowed... Although if I'm working security with Nerf I might get a little trigger happy. <_<
    If I knew you were armed, I'd make it my mission to take you down. :)

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did something happen that made nerf not allowed? Was there a "nerf incident"? I'm curious about the details of how such a rule came about. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Did something happen that made nerf not allowed? Was there a "nerf incident"? I'm curious about the details of how such a rule came about. =)

I think it's just to limit the possibility of incidents occuring, given the # of people and whatnot.

tr0tsky on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »

I think it's just to limit the possibility of incidents occuring, given the # of people and whatnot.
    Basically we'd like to keep the good will of the WSCTC folks, and allowing projectiles of any kind is just begging for an incident.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited April 2008

I remember hearing a story that during the setup at the old building that somebody shot a nerf into the ceiling and they had to get one of those portable electric lift thingys to get it down.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wasn't the nerf in the ceiling caused by a modded Mavericks? I have also talked to plenty of people who claimed that they caused a lot of nerf carnage at the hotels is the reason for the no-nerf policy
    Like twice the number of people that actually had nerf guns that year.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2008
    It doesn't take a modded maverick to stick a nerf dart to a high ceiling light.

Regardless, it would be better if we didn't take each other's eyes out at PAX, and I'm not sure other attendees would be too happy to get caught unwillingly in the crossfire.

Also: If I brought nerf for security, it would be my Longshot. That sucker stings.
    2413747691_bc2e4f3ce6.jpg

Liger on
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd use primitive forms of nerf.

That being water balloons that don't break.

Dee Kae on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

They are not the neatest thing that NERF has done, but they are cool. Too bad there is the No-NERF policy at PAX. Oh well, that gives me more time to fine-tune the new rules.

Dern... Thanks for the heads-up, Qs23... I was planning on bringing a mod'd Mav to PAX as part of my cosplay, without that knowledge... It will have to do outside the enclosed festivities!

Yar, VThorn... Like Qs noted, likely not the "neatest" thing Nerf's put out, but, I could see it being that with the most impressive or surprising potential, heh. Regarding their shooting capability: unmodded, they can shoot roundabout 25 feet, and 35+ modded (I've read).

Twinkie on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    I'd use primitive forms of nerf.

That being water balloons that don't break.

If you know a place, I am there.

Twinkie on
This discussion has been closed.