As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What monitor should I get?

xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am in the market for a 24" LCD screen but I am not entirely sure what one to get. I am looking to spend around $600 at the most. Right now the 2 I am looking at are

Gateway FHD2400 and the DELL ULTRASHARP 2408WFP

Anyone know of a better one or have any thoughts on those 2?

xYUUBINKYOKUx on

• saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dell monitors seem to be the way to go. I have a 2005wfp and no complaints about it.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Might find some useful advice here.

exis on
  • GinzueGinzue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doing graphic art for a while has made me pretty jaded to most monitors. As far as affordable high quality brands, I am in love with NEC. I have a 19" LDC and I have yet to see a brighter monitor. It has crazy sharpness and the blackest blacks I've seen on LCDs and not by just jacking up the contrast.

Just watch out for those new LCDs that try to push super bright and high contrast, because all the ones I've seen at BestBuy have too much contrast (to 'pop') and ghost lines appear around things or look over aliased.

There are a bunch of great monitors, but every time I get a new one its a NEC because it just looks awesome.

Ginzue on
    Ginzue!
  • krlkrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have a Dell 2407WFP, which I would highly recommend. Absolutely no complaints about the image quality, and it has enough inputs to hook up my Mac (dvi->vga), PS3 (hdmi->dvi) and 360 (component) at the same time.

Also, rotating your screen 90 degrees for playing Ikaruga is pretty awesome.

krl on
  • MabaseMabase Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was looking for a new monitor as well and I found these forums VERY useful (a bunch of Display enthusiasts): http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78
    After browsing for a few weeks, I found that the community seems to agree that one of the best gaming/budget 24' lcds is the BenQ G2400W ($350-400). Look yourself though, there are tons of posts there with the exact same queston as yours.

gl;hf;

Mabase on
    pyonpyon
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the link over to the other thread. I read all that stuff and they linked to the [H]ard forums and then I read all the stuff there. It looks like the dell one uses a newer type of display ( S-PVA) that while it can be tricky to configure it looks and works better than the older TN displays. Its always hard to pull the trigger on a computer part that is so expensive but after much thought I decided to go with the Dell. Thanks for the help guys. You can lock this post now.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This Dell

I have an older 2407WFP and it's probably the best piece of computer equipment I've owned.

Aridhol on
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aridhol wrote: »
    This Dell

I have an older 2407WFP and it's probably the best piece of computer equipment I've owned.

yeah that 2408WFP is the one I ordered. Its lucky that I ordered it earlier in the day. It was only $599 earlier today now it looks like its back up to $729

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • vytroxvytrox Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have a Gateway FPD2485W (24-inch) that I like. It has plenty of inputs (2 component, s, vga, dvi, etc.). It can also do the 90 degree rotation which is pretty cool.

The only downside is one of the component inputs adds a weird green tint to the video. The other one works fine, so I didn't return it, but still weird.

vytrox on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yeah that 2408WFP is the one I ordered. Its lucky that I ordered it earlier in the day. It was only $599 earlier today now it looks like its back up to $729
    Not as lucky as you might think. Those Dell monitors go on sale all the time. Like at least once a month. Compared to your chances of winning the lottery, your chance of finding a Dell monitor sale are actually pretty good. :)

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer