As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Installing Ubuntu on a Ps3.

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
Mainly I want to know how easy it is to do.

Rizzi on

• greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Mainly I want to know how easy it is to do.

I just did this! (had to reinstall because wife rebooted ps3 while I was remotely upgrading kernel which left it unbootable)

Basically go here http://psubuntu.com/installation-instructions/
    and follow the instructions. If you haven't repartitioned your ps3 yet, you'll have to do that first, but you'll lose all your data on your ps3. So you best back up all your crap. (PS store stuff you can redownload, so make sure you back up your saves. Or if you have http://forums.penny-arcade.com/index.php
    Homeexternal USB HD you can just back up everything.)

The installation itself is easy, the only problem I encountered was the install screen was very low res so the "Back" "Forward" and "Cancel" buttons were off the screen. However you can move this window up to see the buttons by holding down alt and dragging any where on the window. Alternatively you can also press "alt-f" for forward and "alt-b" for back. (The last screen had a different button, so if you'll have to scroll down for that.) Have patience the install is pretty slow due to blu-ray and hypervisor. (Hypervisor seems to slow all disk access.)

After install everything should be ok except for maybe the screen size/res. Take a look at this to see how to change video mode. http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/PS3_Video_Mode

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So my burner seems to have a fit when I ask it to burn something.
    This could get interesting..

Rizzi on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Waaaaait a second. If I put Ubuntu on my PS3, will it work with Remote Play? Will I get to have Ubuntu on my PSP?

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
    edited April 2008
    So I appear to be stuck on a black screen with my Ps3 doing nothing. This is after I put the install disk in, and installed the OS. Then I restarted and got.. a black screen. Help?

Rizzi on
    edited April 2008
    Waaaaait a second. If I put Ubuntu on my PS3, will it work with Remote Play? Will I get to have Ubuntu on my PSP?

No
    So I appear to be stuck on a black screen with my Ps3 doing nothing. This is after I put the install disk in, and installed the OS. Then I restarted and got.. a black screen. Help?

Are you sure you waited long enough? It takes forever to boot, and for a while it looks like its a blank screen. As a failsafe you can always go back to the xmb by turning it off and turning it on while holding down the power button till it beeps. This will get you back, but you will need to reset your video and audio settings.

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited April 2008
    Damn it. I restarted it and it started installing. I waited an hour for it to do something before.. >.<

Rizzi on
    edited April 2008
    How do I get my internet to work on it?

Rizzi on
    edited April 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    How do I get my internet to work on it?

Well if you are wired (ethernet) do a "modprobe ps3_gelic" then "dhclient eth0" (I think I spelled the module right, if not look in /lib/modules/????/kernel/drivers/net its the only ps3 one in there.) If wireless you are going to have to hit the internet since I haven't tried it.

Once you got internet working I suggest you do an update. I think network should work on boot from then on. You can add ps3_gelic to /etc/modules so it gets loaded on boot, run network-admin too.

greeble on