Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

About this Forum: Don't be a Dick

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Crushing pussy; Marry a man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The labels are plenty clear, you have to specially change the option in order to report for awesome. I don't think we need to pander to people too stupid to work it out. The odd mistake would be understandable, but it just happens on too regular a basis.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm guessing those that do it dont even know this forum exists and think that option is a form of super-reporting.

Death to PA.
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Has there been a forum announcement about the awesome posts? I can't recall.

Maybe a PM to everyone on the forum to enlighten them how this is supposed to work would be in order. (That's pretty drastic, but I assume the admins have some sort of button to PM all users.)

• FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PM to everyone would be a massive expenditure of resources. I'd suggest a yellow card for first offense, and loss of the report button for repeat offenders.

Burnage wrote:
    FWD is very good at this game.
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Maybe a PM to everyone on the forum to enlighten them how this is supposed to work would be in order. (That's pretty drastic, but I assume the admins have some sort of button to PM all users.)

Yesterday Tube put http://forums.penny-arcade.com/announcement.php?f=63&a=48 up.

• HenroidHenroid Gibberish Cold white sand!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I think people should check out the forum index every once in a while.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Yesterday Tube put http://forums.penny-arcade.com/announcement.php?f=63&a=48 up.

Oh god the irony. Yeah, I often get stuck just checking out threads that I've subscribed to. That might be a problem for a lot of people actually.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Seg wrote: »

Oh god the irony. Yeah, I often get stuck just checking out threads that I've subscribed to. That might be a problem for a lot of people actually.

I have difficulty believing that there are very many people who never look at the main thread list for at least one, if not several forums.

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've yet to work out how to subscribe to threads - I know, its probably as simple as "click HERE", but you should see how I worked out some levels of Portal ...

Anyway, I like looking at all of the sub-fora anyway, you never know what you will find. I still can't post any awesome threads yet, I'll have to post more often.

Mind you, I've just found out how to rate a thread, so I'm slowly improving.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You click on 'thread tools' right at the top there.

Aaaand apparently posting in a thread auto-subscribes you to them.

Oh god I've got dozens and dozens of pages of thread subscriptions to delete.

Death to PA.
  • thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You click on 'thread tools' right at the top there.

Aaaand apparently posting in a thread auto-subscribes you to them.

Oh god I've got dozens and dozens of pages of thread subscriptions to delete.

You can change the default in your options somewhere.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also does the label "Awesome Post" really need to be in the title?

I mean we are in the Awesome Post forum, it's supposed to be on topic, well at least to the extent that the intial posts are awesome.

It tends to make the thread titles a bit too long.

edited May 2008
    I don't know that the question mark needs to remain in the forum title, either. Some of the posts here are awesome.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    thorgot wrote: »
    I don't know that the question mark needs to remain in the forum title, either. Some of the posts here are awesome.

But some aren't...at all.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • BogdanichBogdanich Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ZeroCow wrote: »

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=57651

• ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bogdanich wrote: »
    ZeroCow wrote: »

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=57651

Yes, once a thread has been voted as not awesome it gets cleaned up, but that doesn't mean in the future that people won't post lame threads. Since it's a somewhat democratic system on deciding what's awesome, I think there should still be a question mark in the title.

PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
    edited May 2008
    It's becoming more apparent that reported one-liners tend to end up being the fat of this section, and the more 'story to read' kind of posts are the glorious meat. One-liners can work if meaty context is included though.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    edited May 2008
    if you report a post for awesome, but it was already reported and the thread here was locked, it gets posted in the locked thread.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    if you report a post for awesome, but it was already reported and the thread here was locked, it gets posted in the locked thread.

Which honestly should unlock the thread so we can mock the dumbass

• Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Okay, this may be a mean or just plain weird idea, but is it possible, instead of deleting the shitty threads, they're moved into a subforum of this subforum, something along the lines of the halls of horrid.

To help people see what we think is awesome, and what we think is shitty?

edited May 2008
    • Tube's Circus Of Bug Reports and User Issues
      • The New Forum KINKS
      • Bug Tracker
    • Awesome Posts?
      • NOT AWESOME AT ALL Posts.
    • Games and Technology
      • Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
      • Massively Multiplayer Online Extravaganza
    • etc.

edited May 2008
    Yet another (sub)forum?

Sign me up

• PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    One problem I've seen is that whenever a post from G&T is reported a group of people automatically vote it down, no matter what. Even if the post is perfectly good.

Spoiler:
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2008
    yeah it's all a conspiracy

If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    One problem I've seen is that whenever a post from G&T is reported a group of people automatically vote it down, no matter what. Even if the post is perfectly good.
    It's a democratic system, you can't stop people from acting the way they do.

Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
    edited July 2008
    Yeah I know.

But it's annoying.

Spoiler:
    edited July 2008
    why? it's conceivably the least important thing in the world.

have you considered that people are voting down not because of some overarching anti G&T conspiracy but because they just don't think it's awesome?

If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I just mentally add 2/3 stars to a post when I see it's from G&T.

• Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2008
    durr durr the G&T guys always vote down SE++ stuff too

durrrrrr

(I don't know of anyone that would do this as it's idiotic and serves no purpose)

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I always vote G&T stuff down because they're a bunch of losers.

Games are for nerds, you see.

edited July 2008
    yes

nerds and fags

down with G&T, quite

edited July 2008
    why? it's conceivably the least important thing in the world.

have you considered that people are voting down not because of some overarching anti G&T conspiracy but because they just don't think it's awesome?

Who said anything about a conspiracy?

There's just some guys who go "Hurr hurr GnT sux" and automatically vote it down.

And I mean, even if it's not super good, like, 3 star posts, it gets shoved into 1 star.

I'm just talking about a pattern I've noticed.

You're the one who seems to be getting offended.

Spoiler:
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    edited July 2008
    I look at every thread in here and I don't think I've ever seen a post like that

let's just leave this be

no need to turn this into a G&T vs. SE++ flamer war here

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus One day I will kill a god.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yeah, nobody needs any infractions guys

edited July 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    There's just some guys who go "Hurr hurr GnT sux" and automatically vote it down.

pls provide evidens of clame
    You're the one who seems to be getting offended.

I don't like people being jackasses, this forum has quite enough of it

edited July 2008
    yeah it's all a conspiracy

As the ringleader, I need to step in and say that we're taking applications. We're finding that G&T awesome posts aren't being shitcanned fast enough, we'd like to see the time down to 12 hours tops.

To apply, PM Pata complaining about this tiny forum and describe how little impact it has on, well, fucking anything.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    G&T Awesome posts get voted down because their not awesome. Usually because they can't stand on their own without a ridiculous amount of context or because it's a "you had to be there" sort of thing.

sig-500x65.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    G&T Awesome posts get voted down because their not awesome. Usually because they can't stand on their own without a ridiculous amount of context or because it's a "you had to be there" sort of thing.
    Or you had to know what the game was about. I mean, the Heavy Fortress II OP was hilarious to me because I played the game for a while. I'm going to hazard a guess and assume that anyone who hasn't been keeping track of it would not get the funny.

Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    GnT is on topic. SE++ is very rarely a topic at all, let alone on or off.

SE++ provides the higher concentration of awesome posts due to the nature of the forum.

I dont think anyone gives a flying fuck which forum has the most awesome posts, though I do get the sense some GnTers have been reporting decidely non-awesome GnT posts to try and close the gap.

An awesome post in GnT is usually, as mentioned, something that requires extensive context or background. While an SE++ awesome post can and often is a brilliant one liner or forum macro image or something.

It's not some conspiracy, its the design of the forums themselves. IF SE++ think they have somehow achieved a 'victory' by having the higher proportion of the awesome posts they are as stupid as the GnTers who constantly try to downplay SE++s innate capacity for hilarity.

scarab you have mental problems
This discussion has been closed.