Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

About this Forum: Don't be a Dick

12346»

• Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    GnT is on topic. SE++ is very rarely a topic at all, let alone on or off.

SE++ provides the higher concentration of awesome posts due to the nature of the forum.

I dont think anyone gives a flying fuck which forum has the most awesome posts, though I do get the sense some GnTers have been reporting decidely non-awesome GnT posts to try and close the gap.

An awesome post in GnT is usually, as mentioned, something that requires extensive context or background. While an SE++ awesome post can and often is a brilliant one liner or forum macro image or something.

It's not some conspiracy, its the design of the forums themselves. IF SE++ think they have somehow achieved a 'victory' by having the higher proportion of the awesome posts they are as stupid as the GnTers who constantly try to downplay SE++s innate capacity for hilarity.

Can I just say, this argument is getting fucking tired. A boo hoo hoo! Our threads are all on topic, hence we can't make jokes! You can joke just as much in GnT as you can in SE++, you just have to do it on topic. Just because you're confined to maintaining a conversation on one thing or idea, doesn't mean you can't find something funny about it, or get some good, awesome chats about it.

Yeah, SE++ has a lot more freedom then GnT, and that helps, but look at DnD. They churn out awesome posts nearly as fast, if not as or faster, as SE++. They're an ontopic forum too.

There is no edge, this isn't a competition, and there shouldn't be any interforum wars about this shit. Honestly, I vote down posts that don't strike me as awesome. And a lot of what gets nominated in GnT, is not awesome to me. That's not a personal attack, it's a matter of opinnion. So please, stop this whining, it's starting to sound like people think theres a number, and if 'your' sub forum reaches it first, everyone wins a prize. That's not the point of this place.

This is just to try and show people who don't stop into a certain subforum, what they're all about. And it works pretty well, posts that aren't universally awesome, like cliquey 'awesome posts' like the one of mine that got nominated, get voted down. And for good reason.

But at the same time, just because I don't find someone imitating broken english to make an OP about teamfortress funny, doesn't mean it's because I've got it out for GnT.

I personally don't find it awesome, and I'm sure there are others who feel that way. We're not voting it down because it's GnT or some stupid bullshit like that, we're doing it because it doesn't appeal to us.
    While an SE++ awesome post can and often is a brilliant one liner or forum macro image or something.

And just a sidenote, No. Image macro's are not viewed as 'awesome' in SE++. A lot of people find them annoying.

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The awesome forum should be something to celebrate, not a cause of immature inter-forum rivalry.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    GnT is on topic. SE++ is very rarely a topic at all, let alone on or off.

SE++ provides the higher concentration of awesome posts due to the nature of the forum.

I dont think anyone gives a flying fuck which forum has the most awesome posts, though I do get the sense some GnTers have been reporting decidely non-awesome GnT posts to try and close the gap.

An awesome post in GnT is usually, as mentioned, something that requires extensive context or background. While an SE++ awesome post can and often is a brilliant one liner or forum macro image or something.

It's not some conspiracy, its the design of the forums themselves. IF SE++ think they have somehow achieved a 'victory' by having the higher proportion of the awesome posts they are as stupid as the GnTers who constantly try to downplay SE++s innate capacity for hilarity.

Can I just say, this argument is getting fucking tired. A boo hoo hoo! Our threads are all on topic, hence we can't make jokes! You can joke just as much in GnT as you can in SE++, you just have to do it on topic. Just because you're confined to maintaining a conversation on one thing or idea, doesn't mean you can't find something funny about it, or get some good, awesome chats about it.

Yeah, SE++ has a lot more freedom then GnT, and that helps, but look at DnD. They churn out awesome posts nearly as fast, if not as or faster, as SE++. They're an ontopic forum too.

Unlike DnD, Games and Techology is on topic on one very specific topic.

Games.

Moes Tavern took the build advice stuff and the hardware related posts, and that place is shit hot.

GnT is, like DnD, completely on topic but on a much narrower spectrum of discussion.

While the wealth of games to be talked about is huge, and the possibilities for 'awesome posts' is high, the fact that there aren't as man doesnt mean shit.

It just means people in GnT would rather talk about the games seriously than make jokes. Announcement threads, game on threads, let's play all that jazz often follows a very similar pattern for each one, with the same usual suspects offering insight and advice or whatever.

Lack of awesome posts doesnt mean anything. Which like you said needs to stop being some measurement of a forums worth.

The 'its ontopic' excuse is perfectly valid. I dont see why you would try to discredit it. That said, I would argue against using it as an excuse as really, there is nothing to excuse. It is merely an explanation for phenomena that other people seem keen to constantly point out.

scarab you have mental problems
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Actually, Games & Technology is two topics.

Also this argument should stop because nobody is going to convince anyone else of anything.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    G has always been at war with T.

• Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Actually, Games & Technology is two topics.

Also this argument should stop because nobody is going to convince anyone else of anything.

This argument is bad.

Rawr.

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    The awesome forum should be something to celebrate, not a cause of immature inter-forum rivalry.

I actually thought part of the point was to provide a lite environment for people to experience stuff from other forums in the hopes of opening peoples eyes and improving inter forum relations.

Regardless, this whole interforum stuff is just...ugh. It's actually given me an idea - instead of merging forums, just ban anyone who openly engages in this forum hating nonsense. Also anyone who engages in console wars etc. too.

I mean, what is this? GameFAQs?

(It's still ok to hate on non-PA forums in my fascist dreamforum).

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Which it seems to have turned into. And that's bullshit.

mrsatansig.png
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited July 2008
    Are we actually fucking doing this still?

Dear everyone: GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

• grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

They report posts as awesome nearly as fast as SE++. That does not mean they churn out awesome posts. Most of the DnD posts are decidely lacking in awesomenessitude.

If you play a game and then are able to spend pages debating with someone on the actions of a faction within that game you probably just played a pretty sweet game.
  • TubeTube Says some shit Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2008
    STOP BEING A FUCKING CRETIN

FOR FUCK'S SAKE WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

edited July 2008
    Coach Tube wrote:
    Each one of you will spend time every day with a forum member of a different subforum. You will learn about him and his family, his likes, his dislikes. You will report back to me until you meet every one of your other forum members. Until that time, we go to 1-a-day bannings. You continue to ignore each other, we'll go to 2-a-day bannings. Now, is there any part of this you don't understand?

edited July 2008
    I get it.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    edited July 2008
    Get it? I'm comparing interforum squabling to the struggle created by segregation.

Totally on the same level.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Filler. You're my new hero... Can I touch you?

Saturday Oct 4th @ 3pm EST I will be hosting a Game Night with a bunch of friends. We plan to stream everything to the following twitch account, so please join us!
    Twitch.tv account: GameNightGoesll
    Direct Link
    edited July 2008
    Y'know what it is?

The people who think silly humor or nothing racy / grown up is funny speak louder than the rest. If that makes sense at all.

What made me realize this is Potu's post in the TF2 awesome post thread thing.

- @Ludious
    edited July 2008
    urahonky;

No, you'll get my tail dirty

henroid;

I don't fully understand what you're saying. Care to rephrase that?

Are you saying people who think silly humor is funny and grown up stuff is not funny speak louder?

Or what? I'm just confused.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    He was insinuating that because SE forumers are more vocal about their own awesomeness the overall perception is that they are in fact more awesome.

Or to put it another way - that other forums have just as much awesome material but it gets reported for awesome far less frequently because those forumers dont give a shit about awesome post recognition.

Of course neither is true at all. Who really cares anyways.

The people complaining that when a post is not praised for being awesome it is some kind of inter-forum conspiracy are just as annoying as the people who actively seek to discredit other forumers posts for some kind of forum war.

It's just natural human behavior to be competitive dicks. Fans of all things do the same all the time, fanboys of games, sport supporters etc.

scarab you have mental problems
    edited July 2008
    We should have a battle dome and just sort this all out, once and for all.

Of course, with wook on team SE++, it would be a short fight.

edited July 2008
    That's not what I was saying at all.

Okay, I notice that a lot of the awesome posts reported are like, "Oh man I totally was a tough guy or smartass" kind of stories, or sexual in nature - or jokes based on that. Which, they are awesome.

But there are also awesome posts where it's light hearted humor, or a well done gimmick. These too can be awesome.

The problem I see is that the people who praise the former shit on the latter, and are among the loudest (most frequent posters maybe?) here.

It's not forum rivalry. It's people having different senses of humor (not a problem), and some of them feel the need to be asses when vocalizing it (which is a problem because its hurting people's feelings) (I was being sarcastic there, sorta).

To be fair though there posts reported here that aren't awesome at all.

- @Ludious
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights fuck tough be coolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
12346»
This discussion has been closed.