As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii games: Upcoming and obscure

DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
So, thanks to you guys, I've learned about Baroque and Opoona, both of which I probably would have missed completely. Thanks for that.

But, there were a few I searched around about and hit on, and didn't see too much talk about here, so, I thought I'd make a little post about them. I hope people contribute with other games most of us might otherwise miss out on, this is just sort of a thread to raise awareness towards these titles.
character01_2.jpg

Tales of Symphonia 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBYluU6PUJk

I hadn't heard at all about this. New to me. I did like the first for the combat system.
shiren3_hat.JPG

Shiren the Wanderer 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GYQWz598rs

The DS version has become rather popular here, and I was unaware there was a Wii sequel to be released. Neat.
fragile-2.jpg

Fragile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMgo5QvjePE

Another RPG, looks to be post-apocolyptic. I remember hearing about this one here awhile ago.
opoona.jpg

Opoona:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otUWTMVftaY&NR=1

We have a thread about this one, and it does look kind of neat, although info seems difficult to come by aside from the odd review.
wii_disaster_display.jpg

Disaster: Day of Crisis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRVsGBZ-uZQ

Old news, but some may have forgotten about it.
3264.jpg

Obscure II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc0e0sHjoD0

Survival Horror of some sort
Baroque-US.jpg

Baroque:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX5IfojsFNQ&feature=related

This one has garnered some attention on these boards. A roguelike real time combat mutation of sorts.
cj iwakura wrote: »
Castle (of) Shikigami III releases at the end of the month(April 29, retail suicide!).

A curtain fire/bullet hell shmup with an interesting story and characters, and good music, if the second is any indication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjGLdDaT0A
There are a lot of other upcoming Wii games I'm interested in. Since you've got some current ones listed, Okami just came out and is scoring very well in reviews. I played some of it on the PS2 but luckily never finished so I can buy it again and enjoy it this time! Hooray!

Deadly Creatures is shaping up to be cool. As far as I can tell there is no text in the game, you're just an arachnid (spider or scorpion), doing your thing to survive, and eventually you blow up a gas station. Hooray!

Steven Spielburg's Boom Blox is an interesting concept. I always love physics playgrounds. Also there is something about 3D head tracking being in the game in some form; as in the youtube video where the guy rigged up his Wii to make stuff on the screen move with his head. Then everything looks more three dimensional. Hooray!

And I have read good previews for Brothers in Arms Wii which is supposed to be a combination of the first two BiA games, totally redone from the ground up for Wii...or so they say. But the bastards are being so slow with info on the game, the Nintendo Power preview is ancient by now. Hooray!
GSM wrote: »
Has there been much talk here about the upcoming Wii ware title by Tell Tale games using a Homestarrunner and Strong Bad license/direct involvement? I'm not sure what to think about a cell-shaded 3D model of Homestar.
Mashalot wrote: »
Let's see...

I'd add De Blob and Fatal Frame 4, maybe King's Story?
slash000 wrote: »
man, I'm so pumped for Shiki 3. But I've blabbed about that game enough in the thread we have for it.

I've been too busy lately to make the Weekly Release thread but I'll do it now.
taito24.jpg
Rotam wrote: »
Lost winds and some other game that IGN previewed and said was pretty cool.

Blast works or something?
cloudeagle wrote: »
World of Goo.

World of Goo, you bastards!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/866/866535p1.html

You build stuff with sticky goo balls that are affected by real-world physics and can collapse if you don't do it right.
I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Lost Winds for Wii Ware looks like it'll be awesome!

Frontier's WiiWare effort LostWinds may not be grabbing headlines, especially in the midst of releases like Grand Theft Auto IV and Metal Gear Solid 4 on the horizon, but it may be the WiiWare title with the most potential. Arguably the prettiest of the digitally delivered offerings from Nintendo's answer to Xbox Live Arcade, LostWinds lets players take control of two characters at once, big-headed boy adventurer Taku and, well, a gust of wind.

Taku can only progress through the game with the help of the wind, displayed on-screen as a pale blue cursor, a sentient being whose motions are controlled by the Wii Remote. The nunchuk is used to control Taku himself—his motions are quite limited—with the two working in tandem to lift the wee protagonist to high ledges and across wide gaps.

The wind in LostWinds can be used to manipulate more that just Taku, as stiff breezes can move fire, water, even rock to other locations on the map, lighting torches, watering plants and weighing down levers respectively. Players will, however, find themselves moving Taku to and fro with the help of a strong gust and the little boy's cape.

LostWinds looks to be rich in puzzle solving and platforming, a winning combination that doesn't seem to be represented elsewhere on WiiWare. Add to that solid gameplay mechanic a gorgeous artistic design that evokes warm memories of Ico, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and various Square Enix classics, and Frontier may very well have a hit on their hands.

LostWinds is innovative, especially easy on the eyes and the clear product of high production values, making it one of the most high anticipated titles to appear on Nintendo's system, regardless of how it's being delivered.

lostwinds-20080415014908762_640w.jpg

lostwinds-tba-20080219070708644_640w.jpg
toxk_02 wrote: »
Hm... Apparently Star Soldier R, from what I've read, is only going to be like the "caravan modes" of prior games. Which is to say, a few levels played in either 2 or 5 minute sessions to achieve a high score that is uploaded to a world-wide leaderboard.

Apparently there is more replay value to this than it sounds..

but I still kind of wish it was more of a fullfledged shmup.

Unless the article (or I) misinterpreted the Press Release.

STAR SOLDIER R FOR WiiWARE BLASTS ONTO THE Wii

Hudson's Classic Shooter Returns to Put Your Skills to the Test

REDWOOD CITY, CA - April 16, 2008 - Hudson Entertainment, the North American publishing arm of Hudson Soft, today announced that it is bringing Star Soldier R to WiiWare™ on the Wii™. (ESRB Rating: E for Everybody, Fantasy Violence).

This tournament-style outer space shooter challenges players to achieve a high score in either a 2-Minute or 5-Minute Mode. In 2-Minute Mode, players have just enough time to battle through one action-packed stage and one giant boss. In 5-Minute Mode, they also have enough time to fight their way through a second level with its own boss. Additionally, players can play Quick Shot Mode to see if they have the fastest trigger fingers around! Once gamers have their scores, they can go to the online leaderboards to see how they compare with other players in their region and can keep playing to improve their ranking. There's also significant depth and replay value to this challenging game, as players can keep practicing to learn all of the different strategies to achieve bonus points in both 2-Minute and 5-Minute Modes. If they discover them all, players might have a shot at having the top score in the world!

Like traditional vertically-scrolling shooters, the game features a top-down perspective and players fly from the bottom of the screen towards the top, shooting at any ship or structure that obstructs their path. As players progress, they can collect power-ups to increase their weapon or shield strength, and an all-new Force System enables gamers to collect up to five orbiting satellites that can be held close to the ship for defensive cover, or can be sent out for additional firepower. Players can also decide how they want to play, choosing from three control schemes - Nunchuk™ and Wii Remote™, Wii Remote only (held sideways) or the Classic Controller™.

"There is a lot of excitement surrounding WiiWare and we are proud that Star Soldier R will be one of the titles available on the platform," said John Greiner, President and CEO of Hudson Entertainment. "For Hudson, the potential of WiiWare is endless, and gamers can be certain that we will be bringing additional content to WiiWare in the coming months."
###

star-soldier-r.jpg

star-soldier-rr.jpg

star1015gamen03.jpg

I'll still get this game one way or the other.
SirUltimos wrote: »
So High Voltage Software just announced a new FPS called The Conduit. It looks really damn good and they claim it is there goal to make it "look like a 360 game running on the Wii". Give me half an hour to an hour and I'll make a thread on it.
Looked this one up. Wow, actually. Not bad so far.

the-conduit-20080417032659692_640w.jpg

the-conduit-20080417033651743_640w.jpg

Props to Slash000 for putting together awesome entries for this OP.

I would like some other somewhat obscure games posted, just to raise awareness at upcoming, or released yet relatively unknown titles, as I'm surprised at the amount of impending releases or released games that slipped me by.

rqv6.png
Davoid on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've been looking forward to pretty much all of these since I first heard about them. Maybe except Opoona, but even that doesn't look awful now that it's out.

I especially can't wait for Disaster, looks like an FPS combined with a ton of other neat survival mechanics.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Are there any that I haven't listed? Because I'm really not up to speed on upcoming Wii games.

And I dunno, I'd really like to try out Opoona. Gives me an Earthbound sorta vibe.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Castle (of) Shikigami III releases at the end of the month(April 29, retail suicide!).

A curtain fire/bullet hell shmup with an interesting story and characters, and good music, if the second is any indication.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjGLdDaT0A

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Here, I'll add any additions to the OP.

And that one does look pretty great.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    There are a lot of other upcoming Wii games I'm interested in. Since you've got some current ones listed, Okami just came out and is scoring very well in reviews. I played some of it on the PS2 but luckily never finished so I can buy it again and enjoy it this time! Hooray!

Deadly Creatures is shaping up to be cool. As far as I can tell there is no text in the game, you're just an arachnid (spider or scorpion), doing your thing to survive, and eventually you blow up a gas station. Hooray!

Steven Spielburg's Boom Blox is an interesting concept. I always love physics playgrounds. Also there is something about 3D head tracking being in the game in some form; as in the youtube video where the guy rigged up his Wii to make stuff on the screen move with his head. Then everything looks more three dimensional. Hooray!

And I have read good previews for Brothers in Arms Wii which is supposed to be a combination of the first two BiA games, totally redone from the ground up for Wii...or so they say. But the bastards are being so slow with info on the game, the Nintendo Power preview is ancient by now. Hooray!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Ah yes, I heard about Deadly Creatures.

Boom Blox is entirely, entirely new to me, and it does look pretty neat.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Obscure is what I'm in the business of.

Kororinpa: Marble Mania is the only Wii game that I'm aware to be rare enough to have significant resale value (outside of Wii Sports)

Retail price is $19.99 across the board, from Gamestop to Gamecrazy to Hastings.
    Used price is $14.99 to 26.99.

Street Price is $40-50.

However, I haven't actually played it yet. Seems like it couldnt be that bad though.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So is Shiren 3 actually going to get a north american release? if so /newpants

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So is Shiren 3 actually going to get a north american release? if so /newpants
    Judging by the whining of a thousand souls at GameFAQs, it's not announced yet. But of course the DS game makes it a possibility.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Let's see...

Mashalot on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Let's see...

Yes, because all of these look like they will be worth playing. King's Story and Fatal Frame 4 are way up my personal list of 'give me more info now you cockteasing fuckbags!'.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I cannot wait for ToS2. The first was one of my favorite RPGs.

Graviija on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    man, I'm so pumped for Shiki 3. But I've blabbed about that game enough in the thread we have for it.

I've been too busy lately to make the Weekly Release thread but I'll do it now.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Has there been much talk here about the upcoming Wii ware title by Tell Tale games using a Homestarrunner and Strong Bad license/direct involvement? I'm not sure what to think about a cell-shaded 3D model of Homestar.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just noticed that Gamestop has pushed Shikigami 3 back to May 6, so I guess Aksys isnt entirely retarded.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I just noticed that Gamestop has pushed Shikigami 3 back to May 6, so I guess Aksys isnt entirely retarded.

YOu've gotta be fucking kidding me.

First it was April 14, then it was April 29, now it's May 6?!

What is coming out then that Aksys has to worry abotu? Mario Kart?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Oh fuck yeah that game looks awesome.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, the game was called "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People". Considering how well Tell Tale Games did with Sam & Max, I guess they're the best people for the job?

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GSM wrote: »

Think my god it will be glorious. I was honestly expecting Sam and Max but this is almost as good.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Something Theft Auto.

Well, I guess that won't affect the Wii market itself, but it will make the game's release far less noticible.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Something Theft Auto.

Well, I guess that won't affect the Wii market itself, but it will make the game's release far less noticible.

I see.

And you're right, that must be the reason.

Still sucks though. I've never cared for the GTA games at all. And Shiki 3 isn't even coming out on the 360 or PS3 anyway. But it doesn't matter. I'll just play Okami Wii or something until then.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I've got FES to tide me over well into Shiki 3's release, as long as it actually comes out(unlike Radio Allergy).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh, also, Sadness! HA!

HA!

ha.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Picked up Opoona today. I'll put impressions in its respective thread after I have a few hours with it.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Picked up Obscure 2.

Fans of the first one wouldn't be disappointed. The high school kids of the first game are now in college, after surviving The Faculty, and hey look more monsters. They have the worst luck.

The wii controls take getting used to. Pointing outside of the screen will scroll the camera, like Twilight Princess, so that needs to be controlled.

There are "puzzles" that involve waggle. One girl can find clues with her "cryptology" skill by moving the pointer over a still frame of a desk, which can turn chicken scratches into code, or she can put together pieces of Tetris-shaped shredded paper and put it together. Action based challenges include wagglin' to jump up to a railing, or wagglin' furiously to pick up your less athletic partner in the nick of time before those wolf-like monsters that just showed up don't chew on her. Each student needs to use their unique skills to get everyone through this, in the same vein as Maniac Mansion.

Combat is so-so. Waggle up/down to clonk someone or side to side to take a swing. Point and hold A to lock on and press the trigger to fire. Standard fare.

It's a pretty unforgiving horror game, but the only one that offers a CO-OP STORY MODE. Just remember, touch the flowers to save. They won't eat you. :P

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember seeing a one page preview of Obscure 2 in some magazine, was flipping right past it till my eye caught the word co-op. How does that work anyway? Sonic 2 style where its up to the second player to stay on screen as best they can? Or does the camera pan and work to keep both players in sight or what?

Hard to find it for sale too, even though it's supposedly been out here (UK) for quite a while.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One character is set as the primary character, and the camera is controlled by him and follows him. It's up to the second player to catch up.

You can switch the camera to make the other guy the primary character by pressing the + button.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Man Obscure was under my radar, never heard of it. Video looks good.

Will have to check it out.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    add pictures to the op

this is 2008 buddy

Sueve on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Huh. I just bought Obscure II on amazon. I hadn't heard about it till now, but I'm a survival horror slut so I'll enjoy anything in that genre.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm glad this thread is here. I've never heard of Boom Blox before but it looks really awesome. It looks exactly like the kind of fun, obscure, unique game that made me want to own a system early.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    taito24.jpg

Mashalot on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    add pictures to the op

this is 2008 buddy

*sigh* fiiiiiiiine

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I dunno about De Blob. The original PC game they made of it was fun, but it didn't really hold my interest that long. I haven't heard what they've changed or added, but even with a bunch of new stuff I don't think the core gameplay has enough going on to hold my interest.

Awesome that they're actually making a retail game. But I doubt I'd buy it.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    De Blob seems like it's more suited to being a Wii Ware game, honestly.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Obscure as a series is wonderfully terrible. Coop is totally pasted in, but you kind of enjoy how clunky it is. Imagine your standard 3rd person adventure fare with a typically bad camera, but then throw in another player controlled character that has no camera control at all. Well, except when he steals control from the first player. You can make it into a war of sorts.

Its really awful but a lot of fun if you can work with it. Anyone outside gaming nerds would think its a piece of shit and be totally turned off. It really plays like a half-assed well-we-can-do-it-but-its-going-to-be-awful feature. And the plot and VO stinks.

But its a lot of fun. Original got some press for allowing you to tape flashlights to guns which a certain notorious Id game that came out at that time did not.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I came to mention that I too am having a good time with Obscure Aftermath. I had never played the first one, and I was enjoying the second one enough that I ordered the PC version of the first game. The flashlights thing is great, as is being able to break open the window in a door and then unlock the door.

As weird as it may sound, the first time I did that second one, it was mind blowing. After all the unbreakable glass in video games designed only to prevent the opening of doors, it was a revelation.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    De Blob looks awesome. Check out the more recent videos of the thing.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Opoona so far is horrifically disorienting and generally confusing, but I'm really digging something about the atmosphere.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png