As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: British Invasion Begins...And They Get Their Own Gamertag

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Maps is fun and I would be able to 5 or gold star it if only my leg would hold out. In the technical sense I can play it but I just don't have the leg endurance. 4 star is my best.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    While I'm nowhere near expert level on anything else really, I could probably get through maps if I could just learn the different bits. The main part is easy to play once you know what you're doing, but it's the bits after the chorus that I can't do to save my life yet.

Once you get Maps... it is glorious and oh so much fun.

Also, I have figured out to not replay songs alot. I loved Maps and played it constantly and got really good at it on Expert but now I have learned overplaying a song actually makes me slightly worse at it so I scaled back at it a bit. Also, gets alot less fun the more you overplay it.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I find Maps to be easier on my leg than Welcome Home or Mississippi Queen because it's constant, you just bounce your leg slowly for the whole song. Starting and stopping the kicks seems to tire me out worse than anything.

Also I blow at really fast double kicks, which especially sucks since the scorehero one-man band song for this week is Tom Sawyer :-|

midgetspy on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Im getting a lot better at double kicks, but the INSANE double quick kicks I have no idea if I actually hit or not, I just flail.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    While I'm nowhere near expert level on anything else really, I could probably get through maps if I could just learn the different bits. The main part is easy to play once you know what you're doing, but it's the bits after the chorus that I can't do to save my life yet.

Once you get Maps... it is glorious and oh so much fun.

Also, I have figured out to not replay songs alot. I loved Maps and played it constantly and got really good at it on Expert but now I have learned overplaying a song actually makes me slightly worse at it so I scaled back at it a bit. Also, gets alot less fun the more you overplay it.

I loooooooove Maps. And Enter Sandman and Message in a Bottle and any song that lets you do that constant driving bass kick while you fiddle around on the pads. It's a welcome diversion from the classic setup where you're wailing on a cymbal constantly. Maps in particular is nice because I think it helps people getting their limbs moving independently. For those triplet blue notes I usually use my left hand to do a quick RLR, since it helps me keep time easier.

And if you need to build up your leg muscles, go for My Sharona on Expert. I love it but my leg is burning after I finish it. :o

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    And if you need to build up your leg muscles, go for My Sharona on Expert. I love it but my leg is burning after I finish it. :o

I like Screaming for Vengeance as a leg builder myself. Not to mention it's so fast that it also works as a good cardio workout.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    I was just wondering.

whatever the fuck happened to the Mad Catz RB instruments?

I mean, they never came out with Wiimotes either, which they said they would.. so yeah.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, a note on bass drum:

A lot of times, the bass drum syncs with the actual bass. I know, from real band experience, that tends to be what you shoot for. Obviously, depending on the style of the song, ect, its not a rule - but just generally the bass drum, and the bass, key in on each other.

Songs like Welcome Home become much easier to put your brain in 'auto-pilot' if you take note of when those kicks are happening. They sync up perfectly with the bass in the verses, and in the main riff, they perfectly accent the major notes. I cant remember, but they may actually follow the bass the whole time.

I just found it easier to go into auto-pilot mode, and not stress out about the wave of kicks when I realized that by stomping with the bass (which I knew was the bass through playing it, and just loving that song) it didnt come off so intimidating.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Weirdly enough, I have come across a spare drumkit that someone I know does not want.
    I am tempted, but I dunno what uses I have for 2 drumkits, as no one I know is good at them or wants to play them.
    Thoughts? (My friend has tried selling it at Gamestop to no avail.)

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you can hook up 2 drumkits to the rockband drum machine that's out there.

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Can't you hook up 2 drumsets to one console and do local score duel? I've always wanted to try that, it'd be a blast I think.

midgetspy on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Can't you hook up 2 drumsets to one console and do local score duel? I've always wanted to try that, it'd be a blast I think.

Yes you can.

I have two mics and two guitars that get used whenever my sister and I have an argument.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I knew about that, but like I said whenever I have people over no one wants to do drums, so I get stuck on them since I don't mind. So I don't see how having 2 will do much for my parties. But it's free, and all that jazz.
    This is a toughie.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Me and my brother did vocal duel.

He had the mic.

I had a Live headset.

It was a tragedy. don't ever do that.
    I still beat him

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The annoying part is that I used to be able to do this song. My old five-star score is just sitting there, laughing at me as I try to pass it now.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I knew about that, but like I said whenever I have people over no one wants to do drums, so I get stuck on them since I don't mind. So I don't see how having 2 will do much for my parties. But it's free, and all that jazz.
    This is a toughie.

it's free.. nuff said.

better than it getting thrown away or whatever, you can break it down and keep it around if somebody's feeling a drum duel.

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I suppose so.
    Or maybe I could craigslist that shit.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    reach42reach42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I suppose so.

I'd take it for free.

reach42 on
    reach42.png
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So last time I posted I had a broken pedal.
    I went out and bought a new REAL drum pedal, alarm sensors, and a Mono cable.
    Roughly following this tutorial.
    http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24040#24040
    Glue is drying for permanence, but it was working great when it was just taped. I can post pictures if anyone needs to see it.

Smashism on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I suppose so.

yeah

I was just trying to be a good guy about it :winky:

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If you're feeling adventurious you could always mod both kits into one uber kit.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I wonder what the DLC will be for tomorrow.

I grabbed some of those cards from Target so I'll probably get it either way.

Arikado on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    midgetspy wrote: »
    I find Maps to be easier on my leg than Welcome Home or Mississippi Queen because it's constant, you just bounce your leg slowly for the whole song. Starting and stopping the kicks seems to tire me out worse than anything.

Also I blow at really fast double kicks, which especially sucks since the scorehero one-man band song for this week is Tom Sawyer :-|

I hate the kicks in Welcome Home - for some reason my leg goes retarded and never wants to finish the third kick in the cymbal patterns.

Don't ask me about Tom Sawyer, I still haven't gotten down the really fast double-kicks yet, though I can get through it usually.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah "Welcome Home" brings out the retarded in my leg.

1-2-3-wait-1-2-wait-1-2-3-wait-1-2... fine, I can do those.

1-2-3-4-5-wait-1-2-3-4-5-wait... oh what the fuck leg...DO AS I SAY!

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    But I hate Welcome Home so whatever, right?

Also... if I only get 3 Cars songs, which 3.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Welcome Home is just so fun on guitar, it's a shame it's painful on drums. I always avoid it because I associate it with leg pain and mental torture, but I actually quite like the song.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I dunno, all the Cars tracks are pretty simple on the instruments except for Vocals. Give them a quick listen and pick the ones you like since you're not really missing out on any crazy notecharts. Although I'm quite fond of "I'm in Touch with Your World" just because it's pretty wacky.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    But I hate Welcome Home so whatever, right?

Also... if I only get 3 Cars songs, which 3.

I would just hold out until you can get the whole album. I knew maybe 5 of the songs before I purchased the whole album and ended up liking the other 4. It really is a great album just really weak in instrument difficulty.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't want all the songs though because there are a LOT of Rock Band songs I need to catch up on over the summer, so I'd rather get a lot of artists rather than a bunch from one artist. Especially since I don't listen to the Cars or anything.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't Cha Stop
    Just What I Needed
    My Best Friend's Girl.

There. But seriously, just either pick 3 you like or get the whole thing.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd say

Moving in Stereo
    Just what I needed

You're all I've got tonight

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Woot, I FC'd Tom Sawyer on guitar tonight and the extra points pushed my guitar career over 9 million, so now all 3 of my careers are over 9 million!!

For those who have the Cars album, which are the 3 hardest/most fun on guitar/drums?

midgetspy on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There arent really any hard songs. All the songs are pretty easy throughout but have some tricky parts. They are at a decent difficulty level where you are in no danger of failing, but you still have to work at it to Gold Star or FC them.

My Best Friends Girl has some fun HOPO's
    Just What I Needed has the return of the little hook Pull Off sequence that the Boston tracks are known for
    Dont Cha Stop is probably the most demanding for guitar.

All the songs are actually pretty good. Like I said before, nothing hard, but you still have to pay attention with most of them.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hope there's at least one song I like coming out next week. Although I don't have any Targets close enough that I could justify going there exclusively to look for a cheaper points card.

Schide on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm hoping we finally get the Metallica/Maiden/Sabbath pack this week. I've been itching to play Wrathchild and Fuel.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    AmaranthAmaranth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, my water consumption has increased tenfold since attempting to do singing - i got through the first five or so songs on easy ranging from 2 to 5 stars so decided to try my hand at Medium and it's doable.

Well, apart from Highway Star when I decided to have some online fun with a drummer friend.
    Fuck that wail at the start. >_>

Amaranth on
  • Options
    Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a couple of questions about Rock Band. I'm thinking about picking it up this afternoon, but I'm not sure whether to just go for the software and the drum kit, or buy into the whole package. I already have two guitars, and I think I could probably live without vocals at least at first, but the price of game + drums bought separately isn't all that much less than the full package, especially when you consider that at the moment there a few offers floating around.

My question is basically how good are the new guitars? Do you really use the new high-up buttons very much? If it's a question of how good you are/what difficulty you're going to be playing on, then a good frame of reference would be that I 5 starred every song on expert in Guitar Hero II, and didn't have any problem with getting stuck in GHIII on expert.

Also, does anyone know if any of the guitar problems from the US launch are present over here in the UK?

Thanks for any replies.

Dayvan Cowboy on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's funny, I'm awful at vocals and sound like a fucking asshole when I do it, but I can nail five stars on Expert Highway Star.

Why is Sabotage not in the easiest tier for vocals? There isn't even any actual singing in it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Probably cause it has a lot of talkin' parts which is hard for some people to nail down I suppose.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My question is basically how good are the new guitars? Do you really use the new high-up buttons very much? If it's a question of how good you are/what difficulty you're going to be playing on, then a good frame of reference would be that I 5 starred every song on expert in Guitar Hero II, and didn't have any problem with getting stuck in GHIII on expert.

Also, does anyone know if any of the guitar problems from the US launch are present over here in the UK?

The guitars are absolutely fantastic, I can't play with GH controllers at all any more.

Some folks don't like them because they lack the clacky strum bar, but I think the longer fret board and overall heftier feel to it is way better - plus let's face it, the clacking is loud and annoying if you're playing with other people.

Rock Band is generally considered to be easier than Guitar Hero III as far as the guitar parts go, but that's not to say that there aren't difficult songs in the game. The charts are also pretty much considered to be much better in RB than GH3.

I don't know if the problems have been fixed in the guitars or not, but I know the later gens have been a lot better and the EA replacement is top-notch even if something does happen.

DarkPrimus on