As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: witty stomp-joke goes here

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Don't some of the tyranid creatures not have any eyes?

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Just spore mines and tyrant guard, I think, which is fine, because neither of those have shooting attacks.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    To farther explain why I think this new LOS rule is stupid, you can lose a game or an entire unit because you modeled a tall banner, or had a single guy in a squad with one angled up a little too high.

I wouldn't have put these banners on my guys if I knew it would affect the game.
    Nurgle2_b.jpg

Nurgle5_b.jpg
    I would like to think that most reasonable people would houserule a 'banners don't count' exception.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Line of sight ignores anything that isn't a limb, torso, head, or similar appendage. Banners, weapons, tails, wings and such are ignored if I'm not mistaken.

All my crisis are on flying stands and I even made some bigger ones so they were higher and almost all of them have some sort of crazy pose with streched arms/legs D: bad choice it seems.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It Burns wrote: »
    Line of sight ignores anything that isn't a limb, torso, head, or similar appendage. Banners, tails, wings and such are ignored if I'm not mistaken.

All my crisis are on flying stands and I even made some bigger ones so they were higher and almost all of them have some sort of crazy pose with streched arms/legs D: bad choice it seems.
    Well, that's even better then. I suppose the crisis suit thing could be a double-edged sword though - you could have a shooting advantage too.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Line of sight ignores anything that isn't a limb, torso, head, or similar appendage. Banners, tails, wings and such are ignored if I'm not mistaken.

Well, that's even better then. I suppose the crisis suit thing could be a double-edged sword though - you could have a shooting advantage too.

I think their real strenght was moving, shooting and then hiding again. You can usually get a decent line of fire just moving him 6" and then hide again. But yeah I guess they do see over most stuff which would deny some saves from low walls and such.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Line of sight ignores anything that isn't a limb, torso, head, or similar appendage. Banners, weapons, tails, wings and such are ignored if I'm not mistaken

Ok, so while I fully admit that this is better than I originally thought, I'm still going to be pissed off on the day that I lose an entire mob of boys because I modeled one ork to have his arm in the air.

And this is where the problem lies. You're being punished for being a little more creative with your models.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Is it a core rule, or can it be ignored if both players agree to play it differently?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You can do anything if both players agree to it.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Which I am all for. But we all know too well that there are many people that only play by the RAW.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I've just remembered an odd rules situation that came up last game I played. A dreadnought and a rhino full of plague marines are right next to each other, and the dreadnought uses its assault cannon to blow up the rhino. Can the dreadnought use its flamer on or charge the plague marines that fall out? We ended up going with no for both, but I am curious if we played it right, as if the rhino hadn't been completely destroyed by the penetrating hit he could have probably managed both.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All these retarded arguments about LoS can just stop now.
    1. They are retarded. The rules changed, boohoo. You guys sound worse than the D&D guys.
    2. Not one iota of the LoS rules has changed, just the definition of area terrain and how it interacts with them. You have always been supposed to use LoS for anything that wasn't area terrain.
    3. Guess what, if you modelled your guys with extra tall bases, they yes, they can be seen from further. But guess what else; they can see further too. This is also not a change from 4e.
    4. What has changed is how LoS interacts with area terrain; there are now no more size categories. That's it.
    5. Also, models give cover too, instead of that dumb "target priority" check.

Basically, if you were playing 4e correctly, you shouldn't actually notice that changes to the LoS rules unless you had a lot of forests.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mr Rose, something big has explicitly changed from 4th to 5th. Until this morning, I thought the same as you. I've never been one to get up in arms about rules changes. But this is what I learned this morning.

In 4th, drawing line of sight to just and arm of a model did not mean you could see that model. You had to draw LOS to the main body of the model, and that meant you could only target that model.

In 5th, from what I've read, now if you can draw line of sight to any part of a single model's body, arm, leg hand, whatever, You can shoot at the entire unit that model belongs in.

This is the thing I'm upset about. Are you saying this is not a big change?

-edit

To quote the rule...
    Line of sight must be traced from the eyes of the firing model to any part of the body of at least one of the models in the target unit (for ‘body’ we mean its head, torso, legs and arms).
    and
    All models in the firing unit that have line of sight to at least one model in the target unit can fire.

So you better make sure you never have an model with an arm poking above cover, or that whole unit can be shot at.

I'll try and drop this whole topic for now, but I'm still quite concerned.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How do people plan to draw said line for LOS? Laser pointer?

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

I got this spiffy green laser I plan to use. Bar that, I'll get down and look.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I've just remembered an odd rules situation that came up last game I played. A dreadnought and a rhino full of plague marines are right next to each other, and the dreadnought uses its assault cannon to blow up the rhino. Can the dreadnought use its flamer on or charge the plague marines that fall out? We ended up going with no for both, but I am curious if we played it right, as if the rhino hadn't been completely destroyed by the penetrating hit he could have probably managed both.

Are you playing 5th or 4th? If you're playing 4th you ruled correctly.

SJ on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

I've always used my eyes, or, failing that, someone else's eyes. In cases of dispute, whatever you're using to measure distance is usually straight enough.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    SJ wrote: »

4th, and cheers for clearing that up.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    SJ wrote: »

4th, and cheers for clearing that up.

In 5th could you do it the other way?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    LOS is a problem for me because of all my stupidly huge vehicles. Fortunately, they should survive longer now.

My friends and I may and up house ruling bits here and there. I know that IMHO it's crazy to be able to hit a whole unit if you can only see one model.

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    All models in the firing unit that have line of sight to at least one model in the target unit can fire.
    So you better make sure you never have an model with an arm poking above cover, or that whole unit can be shot at.

I'll try and drop this whole topic for now, but I'm still quite concerned.
    I'm fairly sure you're just reading what you want to in that rule.

Because I'm seeing absolutely no difference between what's there and what's in 4E.

IE: any models that can draw line of sight to models in the target unit can fire at the models they can see.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Under Removing Casualties:
    Note that any model in the target unit can be hit, wounded and taken off as a casualty, even models that are completely out of sight or out of range of all of the firers.

I agree I should have added that to my original quoted post.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ... which means you can take off casualties anywhere in the unit and not just the one that's in LOS.

Which is re-enforced by being in the context of the "removing casualties" section instead of the shooting section.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm thinking of going back to my IG army idea of nothing but two legged models in the army. Standard foot sloggers with as many sentinals as possible. Wulf made me remember how much I love sentinals and how much personality they can have.

Also they should be a bit harder to blow up in 5th.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    ... which means you can take off casualties anywhere in the unit and not just the one that's in LOS.

Which is re-enforced by being in the context of the "removing casualties" section instead of the shooting section.

But if you can see that one guy, and that guy takes 10 wounds, those wounds must be evenly allocated through out the unit since "any model in the target unit can be hit, wounded and taken off as a casualty".

No?

I'm open to admitting I'm wrong, but I just don't see it yet.

Note: the Bolter and Chainsword 5th ed primer, while not any way official, has the same understanding of the rules...
    Also, if any model in a unit is visible the entire unit may be hit by incoming fire, even if the rest of the target squad is outside of LoS and the max range of the shooting attack. So one arm of one Bloodletter model is all it takes to provide enough visibility to jeopardize an entire squad of 10+ daemons.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I can't find the exact reference, but in the 4th ed rule book there is a specific note on converted models and not being able to shoot things like banners, weapons and things like a hand poking out of cover. It keeps it the exact definition a bit nebulous, I assume the 5th ed rule book will have a similar condition. Also, as to tournaments, if it isn't addressed directly in the 5th ed rule book, I imagine any tournament that wants to encourage unique looking models will probably have a stipulation about conversions both related to ones that are unique for aesthetic purposes... and ones that are obviously for game purposes (like devastators on stilts or something).

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

But if you can see that one guy, and that guy takes 10 wounds, those wounds must be evenly allocated through out the unit since "any model in the target unit can be hit, wounded and taken off as a casualty".

No?
    I'll need the actual text from the wound allocation section, but my understanding would be since that guy is the only one who can be seen, he would be taking 10 saves.

Which would contradict the previous quote somewhat.

huh.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    From "Complex Units"
    Once the number of wounds caused by the firing unit has been determined, the player controlling the target unit must decide which models have been wounded, allocating the wounds to the warriors of their choice. Remember that any model in the unit can be wounded, not just those in range or in view.

The player must allocate one wound to each model in the target unit before he can allocate a second wound to the same model.

(Emphasis Mine.)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well I'll be damned, they seem have changed to Fantasy-style unit targetting.

At least everything on the table gives a decent cover save now.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    KublaKhan wrote: »
    I can't find the exact reference, but in the 4th ed rule book there is a specific note on converted models and not being able to shoot things like banners, weapons and things like a hand poking out of cover. It keeps it the exact definition a bit nebulous, I assume the 5th ed rule book will have a similar condition. Also, as to tournaments, if it isn't addressed directly in the 5th ed rule book, I imagine any tournament that wants to encourage unique looking models will probably have a stipulation about conversions both related to ones that are unique for aesthetic purposes... and ones that are obviously for game purposes (like devastators on stilts or something).
    Oh god

I think I have my first conversion idea right there

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    From "Complex Units"
    Once the number of wounds caused by the firing unit has been determined, the player controlling the target unit must decide which models have been wounded, allocating the wounds to the warriors of their choice. Remember that any model in the unit can be wounded, not just those in range or in view.

The player must allocate one wound to each model in the target unit before he can allocate a second wound to the same model.

(Emphasis Mine.)

Here's the quote explaining it from "Removing Casualties"
    Note that any model in the target unit can be hit, wounded and taken off as a casualty, even models that are completely out of sight or out of range of all of the firers. This may seem slightly strange, but it represents the fact that the real action on the battlefield is not as static as our models. In reality the warriors, both the firers and the targets, would be moving around and real bullets have a nasty habit of ricocheting or simply going through covering terrain!

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh god

Alternately, tall unicycles.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh god

OH HECK NO

Wildcat on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Oh god

OH HECK NO

Or large, brightly colored balls.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    Oh god

OH HECK NO

Or on the shoulders of other marines, or bears.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh god

OH HECK NO

Astartes Ursus

I can see the Codex entry now.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh god

OH HECK NO

Astartes Ursus

I can see the Codex entry now.

For added height the bears stand on sharks.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Wait, wait wait. Are we talking Space Sharks here?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wait, wait wait. Are we talking Space Sharks here?

No, no, no, The Marines stand on the shoulders of bears. If more height is needed, the bears can stand on the chapter sharks.

Assault Marines stand on the back of Alligators, flying Alligators.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited July 2008
    So it's not Space Wolves standing on bears standing on Space Sharks?

Wildcat on
This discussion has been closed.