As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Folklore...

UncleChetUncleChet N00bLancaster, PARegistered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
I recently started playing the new Folklore demo for PS3. I found the story to be a bit odd, but still decent. The controls aren't that bad and I seemed to enljoy it more than I remember enjoying the first demo available. This game is new for like 30$ or 25 used. My questions are:

Is it worth picking up?

How is the combat? I got 3 of the monsters to use as abilities and found the screen that lets you assign them to the face buttons.

How long is the game?

Story wise: Do you have to complete it as both characters or does it swap back and forth between them as the story dictates?

Any input would be appreciated. I did a search for the game and it didnt' turn up any remotely recent threads.
Thanks!

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
UncleChet on

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I was really excited about this game and it really let me down. The battles, while very interesting with having to use the right ID (I think ID is right) at times, are annoying to know which ID you have to use. I did think it was cool how you had to yank the controller to capture them though.

The story was pretty interesting, but not all to captivating. The character responses to some things just seems unnatural or as though they don't care. You play as both characters. You play one part through as one of them, and then you play the same part, but from the other characters perspective. So you see some things that go on at the same time when the other character isn't present (that make sense?) which is pretty interesting I guess.

I got stuck on one boss and couldn't beat him. It got very annoying trying to kill him over and over and never knowing how close I got or not. The lack of a health meter makes it very annoying.

Leveling up seems to take forever too, so if you want to grind... be in for the longhaul.

Basically, it's a rent in my opinion. I got it on release day because I was excited, and it was just not worth it. :(

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the input! Figuring out which Id to use (yes, that's the correct term) could be challenging. It seems that very few people picked this up. I'll be giving it a rent, along with Lair now that it has analog controls.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's another thing, figuring out the Id to use isn't too hard if you have the Id. I had encountered an enemy I couldn't kill because I didn't have the Id yet, so I had to back track til I found that Id. Basically I just took the wrong path at a fork. It just got on my nerves. The game is very pretty though, I liked the graphics and the "dark" theme.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really want to buy this game, but I want to wait for it to drop at least somewhat. I've still yet to see it new for less than 60 bucks. What's up with this generation and the lack of price drops at all?

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For what its worth I never got past the Demo (even though it seemed fun) because It doesn't support 1080i and I don't swing that way.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dreamer: Check gamestop. The ones near me have it 30 new 25 used. I want it, but will give it a rent. If it appeals to me after about 3 or 4 hours, I'll buy it. I still have to play The Darkness. I'm up to the restaurant (i think, where the cops bust in with a truck and start shooting). My playtime has been sparse but I'm ready to get my game on.

UncleChet on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had a lot of fun with folklore, one of my favorite ps3 games. The only thing I wasn't all that happy about was that it gets a bit repetitive having to go through the same areas with both characters

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin