As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotels.com - don't trust them but have no choice

oncelingonceling Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm going on a roadtrip during the summer (late June/early July).

Most of the hotels were booked last month but we had a slight change in 2 of the locations that we were stopping. One location was new to the intinerary and when I called the hotel I wanted to stay at, they said they were booked out (there's an event on in town).

The other hotel in another city I called and asked for a change from the Tuesday night to the Wednesday night, again they said it was booked out the following night (they sounded a bit surprised). There's no event or anything on but I guess its a busy summer location.

So, I went to hotels.com and was able to book the nights I wanted at both hotels. Now, technically all I need to do is cancel the original reservations that are incompatible with the new plan and I'm fine.

The problem is, I find it really weird that the hotel have nothing they can find me and hotels.com book me right through. I know they book up blocks at places but I'm still really worried. So here's my questions:

1. Is there a certain amount of time that I can wait before I can actually call the hotel itself and see if I'm really confirmed? Or can you not do that with online bookings like this.

2. Am I being paranoid?

onceling on

• Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You're being paranoid.

When my friend and me went to the Fiesta Bowl we had to do this and got our room at a nice Holiday Inn for 50 bucks a night about 10 miles from the stadium. I called them after I got the confirmation email to make sure it was good and it was.

Don't sweat it.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    NPNP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've used hotels.com on quite a few occasions and have never had any problems.

Also, you should be able to call the hotel after you book online to confirm your reservation if you are really feeling paranoid.

NP on
  • Options
    MatthasnopantsMatthasnopants Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's because of yield management. The room is "available" but they don't want to sell it to you because more than likely they can get a customer later on who will pay more for it.

Matthasnopants on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Phew thanks guys you helped my paranoia :lol:

onceling on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I used hotels.com to find all my hostels for a 42-day Europe trip with my two friends. We were all 18, went through 9 countries, and ended up just fine.

Except my one friend. We don't like to talk about what happened to him. I'm kidding.

Daemonion on