As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Something wrong with my computer network?

Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Please bare with me if my description of the problem is horrible. It took me ~40 minutes to get here.

So to access internet here on my University Campus I normally used a router(jack in the wall, then prompt screen where I enter my stupid id and pw)- then wireless with WEP. After awhile I couldn't access the internet with my router- figured they blocked it's mac address or something? So I had been using wired directly to my wall. And right now I am in the "commons room"

Up until last night everything had been working- then I am not sure if it was a computer or network related problem but. I feel like the internet is "pulsating" on if it works or not. 98% of the time when I try to go to websites Mozilla status says stopped in lower left, IE doesn't work either. I ran Spy bot, Panda anti virus, Defender, Ad aware and found nothing. Reset my bios as well. I'm still having this problem here in the common room and others are not- so this leads me to believe its my computer.

I tried disabling windows firewall and exiting panda anti virus, no avail. The questionable thing is I can always get on aim. When I try ipconfig /release i am told "The requested operation requires elevation", when I run ipconfig /renew I am told "No operation can be performed on wirelesss network connection while it has media connected"

I can do a print screen of my ipconfig or something -as long as you guys promise to tell me what to blur out :P, I'm also available on AIM if anyone feels kind hearted enough to help.

MGSsig.jpg
Bwah? on

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Have you asked the university help desk for information? If it's a MAC address thing it might indeed not recognise your NIC. Also, with the ipconfig /renew... shouldn't your wireless device be disabled at this stage? I mean, you're not using it to connect, you're using a wired connection.

I'm not an absolute networking guru, but I can take a stab and say they're blocking the HTTP port to your computer, but you're still getting through with your AIM port. In any case, this looks like something you should be taking up with the campus IT department.

theSquid on
  • Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My internet wasn't working this morning again (except aim)...until now when It decided to let me cruise the internet (I'm guessing at a hit or miss connection of 14.4kbps) and I finally got here. I disabled my wireless and now when I do ipconfig /renew the cmd prompt will do it's thing but...no affect noticed on internet. I tried having a friend get me public proxies - then use those for internet browsing, but that didn't help either.

I found out having a router in the section of housing is "against the rules", but their policy is to come down and talk to you, not disable your internet. I'm not sure how they could block my http if I am online right now?

It's finals week and I really need computer access, and aside from walking to the library I don't have much other choice than to try and fix this.

Thanks for your input.

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    at my school when I had a router they just boom shut off the internet. When I called them and told them it was gone it took them a week to get it turned back on.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    FIXED : I did a system rollback and it fixed it- Not sure if it was due to CCleaner registry cleanup or me trying to download zonealarm's free firewall. Since I'm still looking for a free firewall, any suggestions?

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sygate Personal Firewall is decent and not as insane as ZoneAlarm, and is what I use. Trouble is it hasn't been updated in years, but still does what it needs to with no fuss. r-Firewall is supposedly okay too, as is Kerio.

theSquid on
  • Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ZoneAlarm has a long history of screwing up internet access. I would never recommend it to anyone. Sounds like case closed to me.

On a side note, do not run different anti-virus programs simultaneous (McAfee/Norton) they tend to screw up many things.

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-