As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

420, Politics and Idiots

• Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I agree that pot is harmless, like alcohol is harmless.

dude, alcohol is anything BUT harmless. Alcohol and its related problems kill hundreds of thousands of people each year. Plus there is the drink driving issue, the problems of alcohol related violence...
    Don't get me wrong, i love a drink as much as the next guy, but lets not kid ourselves that its not in some cases a highly addictive and very destructive drug. The fact that its sold everywhere and MOST people do not drink it to excess doesn't mean its harmless in any way.

cliffski on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kay first of all, there were a lot of well-dressed professionals in that crowd, people who looked like they had just got off their shift on the 20th floor of the TD tower. There were all kinds of people there. Rastas, skaters, college students, business people, moms, construction workers, people who work at EA (lots of those), seniors, and bums were all well represented. But this was a simple gathering, not a political demonstration. People were invited to come as they were, goof off with friends and celebrate their freedom to smoke pot. You're not going to convince 10,000 people to put on their Sunday clothes for a toke. You also have to remember it's the West Coast of fucking Canada, where "professional attire" includes Lululemon yoga pants and TNA hoodies.

Personally I think we got some people's attention and showed the few remaining authority figures in this city who disagree with us what we think of their laws. We didn't need to dress up to do that, all we needed was to all show up at the same time, get baked and not cause any shit. All this talk of dressing everyone up in suits is just silly.

Azio on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Azio wrote: »
    Kay first of all, there were a lot of well-dressed professionals in that crowd, people who looked like they had just got off their shift on the 20th floor of the TD tower. There were all kinds of people there. Rastas, skaters, college students, business people, moms, construction workers, people who work at EA (lots of those), seniors, and bums were all well represented. But this was a simple gathering, not a political demonstration. People were invited to come as they were, goof off with friends and smoke some pot. You're not going to convince 10,000 people to put on their Sunday clothes for a toke.

Personally I think we got some people's attention and showed some authority figures what we think of their laws. We didn't need to dress up to do that, all we needed was to all show up at the same time, get baked and not cause any shit. All this talk of dressing everyone up in suits is just silly.

No, you didn't. No one cared. It barely made the news. The politicians went back to doing whatever they were doing before no more then 5 seconds after they were told about the gathering.

shryke on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem with pot is that it takes unmotivated and aimless young men and turn them into even more unmotivated and aimless young men.....that giggles.
    I might be high, but I can still put a sentence together.

Also: as a pot smoker, I still can't buy into this kind of activism. Yeah, I think it should be legal (and taxed), but I just don't see it as something to be proud of. It's a form of recreation, not a lifestyle.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kay first of all, there were a lot of well-dressed professionals in that crowd, people who looked like they had just got off their shift on the 20th floor of the TD tower. There were all kinds of people there. Rastas, skaters, college students, business people, moms, construction workers, people who work at EA (lots of those), seniors, and bums were all well represented. But this was a simple gathering, not a political demonstration. People were invited to come as they were, goof off with friends and smoke some pot. You're not going to convince 10,000 people to put on their Sunday clothes for a toke. You also have to remember it's the West Coast of fucking Canada, where "professional attire" includes Lululemon yoga pants and TNA hoodies.

Personally I think we got some people's attention and showed some authority figures what we think of their laws. We didn't need to dress up to do that, all we needed was to all show up at the same time, get baked and not cause any shit. All this talk of dressing everyone up in suits is just silly.
    If all you were trying to do was get together and toke up with a bunch of other people, you succeeded. But don't try to pretend you had some sort of effect on the political climate when you did it, other than getting the anti-legalization folks to roll their eyes even more.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Kay first of all, there were a lot of well-dressed professionals in that crowd, people who looked like they had just got off their shift on the 20th floor of the TD tower. There were all kinds of people there. Rastas, skaters, college students, business people, moms, construction workers, people who work at EA (lots of those), seniors, and bums were all well represented. But this was a simple gathering, not a political demonstration. People were invited to come as they were, goof off with friends and smoke some pot. You're not going to convince 10,000 people to put on their Sunday clothes for a toke. You also have to remember it's the West Coast of fucking Canada, where "professional attire" includes Lululemon yoga pants and TNA hoodies.

If all you were trying to do was get together and toke up with a bunch of other people, you succeeded. But don't try to pretend you had some sort of effect on the political climate when you did it, other than getting the anti-legalization folks to roll their eyes even more.
    :^:

social gathering <> (successful) political protest

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Okay thank guys, I really needed that pointed out to me

The political climate in BC is already extremely pro-legalization, due largely to the efforts of people like Marc Emery and those dirty hippies you love to malign. There are very few legitimate politicians left in the province who will tell you that drug possession should stay criminal. If we had a system closer to that of the US then we would probably have the same kind of situation in BC as they've got in California.

Azio on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    The problem with pot is that it takes unmotivated and aimless young men and turn them into even more unmotivated and aimless young men.....that giggles.

Also: as a pot smoker, I still can't buy into this kind of activism. Yeah, I think it should be legal (and taxed), but I just don't see it as something to be proud of. It's a form of recreation, not a lifestyle.

Public-assembly is one of the means of influencing policy granted to us by the bill of rights. If you think it should be legal, why would you oppose the use of freedom of expression to advocate legalization?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Not a problem.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The political climate in BC is already extremely pro-legalization, due largely to the efforts of people like Marc Emery and those dirty hippies you love to malign. There are very few legitimate politicians left in the province who will tell you that drug possession should stay criminal. If we had a system closer to that of the US then we would probably have the same kind of situation as in California

It's not just BC. If we weren't bordering the US, we'd have legalized it ages ago imo.

shryke on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thing is, we assumed that
    I think we got some people's attention and showed some authority figures what we think of their laws.

meant something more than patronizing grins and/or five seconds of attention from the remaining people to be convinced.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If it were not for our federal government, which is currently controlled by an American-appeasing Conservative minority that rode in on the scandals of its predecessor, we would have won already.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If it were not for our federal government, which is currently controlled by an American-appeasing Conservative minority that rode in on the scandals of its predecessor, we would have won already.

There's very legitimate reasons for ANY Canadian government to not legalize pot. That reason is the US. With our large open border, they'd throw a fucking fit and you know it. It's not about being "controlled by the US" or some hippy bullshit, it's common sense. You don't piss off (one of) your largest trading partner(s).

shryke on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You hit the nail right on the head. People who define themselves by what they do are idiots. I don't care if you smoke weed, play football, or if you're an artist. If you have such little insight into your own being as to let yourself be defined by the things you do then I feel sorry for you.

That's why I hate all of these hippy sit-ins. Half of these people are just doing this to be counter-culture. They have basically no rational understanding of what they're protesting beyond, "Pot never hurt anyone. Make it legal!". I used to be one of these people and I'm some glad that I grew out of it. There's a sense of "belonging" that comes from being a potsmoker - which in itself is fairly ironic because I suspect said sense of belonging comes from a feeling of being rejected by popular culture. Anyways, a lot of people just blindly fall into the "GO POT!" crowd as they feel supported by their community and will do anything to defend it - despite what their rationality tells them. Hippies are no different from a lot of the religious right that they seem to hate so much.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Public-assembly is one of the means of influencing policy granted to us by the bill of rights. If you think it should be legal, why would you oppose the use of freedom of expression to advocate legalization?
    Having a sit in where everyone just dresses in hemp shirts, and sits around in a group while smoking and saying "lolcops" is kind of on the lowest, most self-serving rung on the "I Have a Dream" Ladder of Freedom.

GungHo on
  • Options
    UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    well, its not facial piercings in general, that one just looks dumb.

Also, what Thantos, speaker, and VC said.
    I'm not asking for all of society to stop being judgemental pricks, I'm asking you to stop.

But that piercing really, really, looks bad.
    Suck it up? Yeah, suck it up. It's fucking petty.

Ill judge people if I want. :.P

How you dress does say somthing about you.

It does only because theres a bunch of morons who think it does. So people like me who don't give a fuck have to dress all nice and stuff just so some jackass won't use his judgemental fucking simple mind to not spend money with me because I have an earing in my ear.

(note I don't wear earings because I think personally hanging ornaments from my flesh is insanity, but what you do is your business and I wont think any less of you for it.)

So yes what you wear is important. But its only cause the world is full of douche-bags.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    shryke wrote: »

There's very legitimate reasons for ANY Canadian government to not legalize pot. That reason is the US. With our large open border, they'd throw a fucking fit and you know it. It's not about being "controlled by the US" or some hippy bullshit, it's common sense. You don't piss off (one of) your largest trading partner(s).
    What are they going to do? I don't think a little decriminalization (which we were going to do until the 2004 election happened) is going to piss them off that much. Besides, they're the ones exporting thousands of illegal guns across the border into our country.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

What are they going to do? They're the ones exporting thousands of illegal guns across the border into our country. But I guess I'm supposed to think those are okay because it's their God Given Right

They'll severely tighten up border security, causing huge problems for businesses that ship things to the US, along with all those Canadians who live here but work across the border? This isn't rocket science.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I really doubt that. There's very little reason to believe people would start trying to smuggle that shit across in greater quantity than they are already. Besides they're already tightening security, to keep out all those turrists we're harbouring.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    GungHo wrote: »

Having a sit in where everyone just dresses in hemp shirts, and sits around in a group while smoking and saying "lolcops" is kind of on the lowest, most self-serving rung on the "I Have a Dream" Ladder of Freedom.

Good thing I've advocated nothing of the sort.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I really doubt that. There's very little reason to believe people would start trying to smuggle that shit across in greater quantity than they are already. Besides they're already tightening security, to keep out all those turrists we're harbouring.

I think you underestimate how much easier it would become and how paranoid the US is about pot.

It's a hell of alot easier to smuggle the shit when you don't even need to hide it this side of the border.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm not opposed to it. I just don't buy into the form the protest has taken, it's not my style. I'm not saying gathering outside city hall and burning one has no influence, I just wouldn't be there.
    Too busy playing video games.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'm not opposed to it. I just don't buy into the form the protest has taken, it's not my style. I'm not saying gathering outside city hall and burning one has no influence, I just wouldn't be there.

This approach was stupid and ineffectual. That doesn't mean that the cause is stupid, nor that trying to speak for it is.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I think you underestimate how much easier it would become and how paranoid the US is about pot.

It's a hell of alot easier to smuggle the shit when you don't even need to hide it this side of the border.

U.S. policy toward marijuana is batshit and directly leads to incredibly lucrative funding for organized crime and the terrorist organizations they purport to fight. It's a simple economics issue, here. You legalize it, and it suddenly becomes cheap as hell to grow and buy, and the organized criminals who currently dominate the market will have to compete with legitimate businesses. The profit margins will shrink, and the criminal element will either have their power as a result of their loss of revenue reduced, or they will move out of the marijuana business entirely.

Appeasing the U.S. on this issue is pretty stupid. There doesn't seem to be any good reason why it isn't legalized, other than the institutionalized misinformation that seems to pervade those organizations that set drug policy in the States - especially people like the Drug Czar, who came up to B.C. a few years ago and tried to tell a crowd of people which included Larry fucking Campbell that marijuana was physically addicting and was as serious in terms of public health as cocaine or crystal meth.

And to be perfectly honest, the U.S. wouldn't be able to take much action. They couldn't get into a trade war, and it would very likely open the debate in the U.S. itself over drug laws, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. In fact, these are just the sort of policy decisions Canada should be making - progressive ones which seem currently impossible to happen in the U.S. due to general fear or stupidity on the part of the incumbent policymakers and bureaucrats. Canada can't do much comparatively speaking, but on issues like this, we can show that the world will not end if marijuana is legalized.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited April 2008

This approach was stupid and ineffectual. That doesn't mean that the cause is stupid, nor that trying to speak for it is.
    I'm sorry if I haven't been clear, but I never said that. I was referring only to the approach.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yes and furthermore, the United States is hardly in a position to disrupt trade with the country that supplies 50% of their energy.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    saggio wrote: »

U.S. policy toward marijuana is batshit and directly leads to incredibly lucrative funding for organized crime and the terrorist organizations they purport to fight. It's a simple economics issue, here. You legalize it, and it suddenly becomes cheap as hell to grow and buy, and the organized criminals who currently dominate the market will have to compete with legitimate businesses. The profit margins will shrink, and the criminal element will either have their power as a result of their loss of revenue reduced, or they will move out of the marijuana business entirely.

Appeasing the U.S. on this issue is pretty stupid. There doesn't seem to be any good reason why it isn't legalized, other than the institutionalized misinformation that seems to pervade those organizations that set drug policy in the States - especially people like the Drug Czar, who came up to B.C. a few years ago and tried to tell a crowd of people which included Larry fucking Campbell that marijuana was physically addicting and was as serious in terms of public health as cocaine or crystal meth.

And to be perfectly honest, the U.S. wouldn't be able to take much action. They couldn't get into a trade war, and it would very likely open the debate in the U.S. itself over drug laws, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. In fact, these are just the sort of policy decisions Canada should be making - progressive ones which seem currently impossible to happen in the U.S. due to general fear or stupidity on the part of the incumbent policymakers and bureaucrats. Canada can't do much comparatively speaking, but on issues like this, we can show that the world will not end if marijuana is legalized.

No one said it wasn't crazy. But it's perfectly understandable that Canada is reluctant to stick it's head out for this issue when it:

a) fairly minor benefits
    b) fairly major downsides (with respect to our relations with our closest neighbor)

And the current US administration is hardly "Canuck-friendly" either.
    Yes and furthermore, the United States is hardly in a position to disrupt trade with the country that supplies 50% of their energy.

The Lumber Industry would like a word with you.

shryke on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    well, its not facial piercings in general, that one just looks dumb.

Also, what Thantos, speaker, and VC said.
    I'm not asking for all of society to stop being judgemental pricks, I'm asking you to stop.

But that piercing really, really, looks bad.
    Suck it up? Yeah, suck it up. It's fucking petty.

It does only because theres a bunch of morons who think it does. So people like me who don't give a fuck have to dress all nice and stuff just so some jackass won't use his judgemental fucking simple mind to not spend money with me because I have an earing in my ear.

(note I don't wear earings because I think personally hanging ornaments from my flesh is insanity, but what you do is your business and I wont think any less of you for it.)

So yes what you wear is important. But its only cause the world is full of douche-bags.

Raging against the machine fills the machine with apathy.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited April 2008

If you don't want people judging you based on how you look, why get piercings? Why get tattoos? Why dress differently?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    The FDA has already approved Marijuanna for medical use.

Source please? Please note: FDA =/= National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine

If the FDA made somesuch statement as you said that would represent a massive policy/perspective shift from where they've been in the past. Doctors may be prescribing the smoke for patients, but that has nothing to do with the FDA.

Djeet on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Djeet wrote: »
    The FDA has already approved Marijuanna for medical use.

Source please? Please note: FDA =/= National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine

If the FDA made somesuch statement as you said that would represent a massive policy/perspective shift from where they've been in the past. Doctors may be prescribing the smoke for patients, but that has nothing to do with the FDA.

I'm sorry. I was under the impression that all prescription drugs HAD to pass through the FDA at some point.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If you don't want people judging you based on how you look, why get piercings? Why get tattoos? Why dress differently?
    Because you want someone to prejudge in your favor rather than not in your favor. More of a , "Hey, dude, where'd you get that bad-ass tat!" rather than, "Skank, where'd you pick up that tramp-stamp?"

GungHo on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    saggio wrote: »
    Fun fact I learned in the paper yesterday:

10 things we learned this week
    Marijuana is the most lucrative domestic crop in the U.S., worth almost $36 billion in 2006 – more than corn and wheat combined. (drugscience.org)

The political climate in BC is already extremely pro-legalization, due largely to the efforts of people like Marc Emery and those dirty hippies you love to malign. There are very few legitimate politicians left in the province who will tell you that drug possession should stay criminal. If we had a system closer to that of the US then we would probably have the same kind of situation in BC as they've got in California.
    My first year criminal law professor has led several challenges against marijuana law in Canada, taking a couple of cases to the Supreme Court.

He made us read them all, and it's pretty remarkable how close it is to being decriminalised here. From a legal perspective, the only reason the law hasn't been overturned is because the court deferred to parliament's right to make a law against anything that carries some risk, while at the same time pointing out that the prohibition (compared to the lack of one against alcohol and tobacco) is completely arbitrary.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Because you want someone to prejudge in your favor rather than not in your favor. More of a , "Hey, dude, where'd you get that bad-ass tat!" rather than, "Skank, where'd you pick up that tramp-stamp?"

So we should only ever judge people positively by what they are wearing? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Marijuana is the most lucrative domestic crop in the U.S., worth almost $36 billion in 2006 – more than corn and wheat combined. (drugscience.org)
    Yeah, and 40% of that comes from California.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Neaden wrote: »
    So we should only ever judge people positively by what they are wearing? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?
    I'm reasonably certain GungHo meant that to be taken ironically. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm sorry. I was under the impression that all prescription drugs HAD to pass through the FDA at some point.

No worries. Your doctor can prescribe whatever, I had to get a prescription for OTC pre-natal vitamins so my stupid FSA admins would reimburse them. Google "FDA marijuana" and you'll see how 2 years ago the FDA out of the blue (conspicuously timed around 4/20) said marijuana "has no currently accepted or proven medical use in the United States and is not an approved medical treatment."

Just goes to show how the FDA is less a body governed by medical research than by the current administration (and perhaps commercial concerns or patent holders).

Djeet on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Neaden wrote: »

YES.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    As far as I've ever read, marijuana's primary medical use is just as an analgesic. Its other benefits seem to be the periphery of its psychoactive abilities. Cannabinoid drugs may have cancer and Alzheimer's applications, but pot isn't the answer to those, rather just synthesizing the affecting compounds.

So what I'm saying is that the idea of medical marijuana seems like a stupid one to me.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If I ever got to that point in my life, I'd just do heroin 'till I OD'd.

Local H Jay on