As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EvE General Discussion

• Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CNRs at 300m gives me space erections.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow, with all this Band of Brothers stuff going down, I've gotta say EVE looks excessively awesome. I've thought the same thing multiple times, but damn.

I don't know if I have the intestinal fortitude for that kind of stuff though.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The whole politics of this game has been fascinating me for years, I've hit up a couple trial subscriptions but have never really had the time/willpower to get in on it.

Just a general question: Is this game really worth it for the casual player? Is it possible to just randomly jump in, hook up with a few dudes and go blast some worthless, enemy empire scum and loot their space-corpses? Or do you need to be addiction-level dedicated to the game to have fun?

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Suicide ganking in empire used to be the highlight of my EVE day. I don't know what the score is on doing it now.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fleet battles do require you to dedicate some time to the game. A large one can last several hours, and you can't always log off at a moment's notice and stay safe. It's easier if you do more skirmishy stuff with a small group. Our Blackops squad is also better in terms of what you want.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    widowson wrote: »
    Digito wrote: »
    Fuck it, I'm resubbing today. I don't even care if all my shit is gone, I'll hoover wrecks untill I can fly Tacklers.

I just need to get in on this shit. Hoooooly shit.

EDIT: Wait, are we still fighting or has BoB already given up entirely?
    We don't really know what BoB's long term response is going to be. Their membership is in utter panic right now and frantically evaccing assets from their space, which is a circus since they don't have jumpbridges or cynogen nets anymore. There has been a little resistance in Delve but for the most part the BoB corps are in complete chaos. There's been some word of AAA grabbing up DICE members and Molle flying with RAT. So far their leadership's strategy has been to pray for the GMs to save them.

This morning we issued war decs against all the major BoB corps. Darius says that they can't form a new alliance as long as we maintain these wardecs, so they're basically fucked.

Couldn't happen to nicer guys.

So which corp are the developers going to play for now? :P

But seriously, fuck BoB and the whole cheating, arrogant, pompus, elitist bullshit they stood for. This isn't just a good day for EvE, it's a good day for gaming in general when asshats get taken down a few pegs.

Feast well upon their bloated, fat corpse....

How is this a good day? When a bunch of angry virgin nerds talk shit for a year, spam hundreds of thousands of posts in an attempt to cloud the fact that they pull almost all of the same bullshit, swear they're going to defeat a more skilled opponent, lose every time they try, then finally pull the plug with sabotage.

Yeah, that's great for gaming.

Next time I'm in a FPS tournament and I know I can't win, I'll just sabotage one of their top player's accounts.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know, I could have sworn that spying and espionage were advertised features of EVE. Oh, that's right, it still is.
    6.7 Can I be a corporate spy?

Spying, scheming, double-dealing and espionage are devilishly delicious features of EVE for those who relish walking on the dark side. Corporation leaders are urged to exercise extreme caution when accepting new members, particularly when granting access to their private communications and corporate holdings. There are criminal elements in EVE who can, and will, take advantage of unsuspecting marks.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Goddamnit, I can't install the Eve Premium Client under WINE. Anyone else have any luck with this?

I keep running into problems when it gets to the Installing DirectX part.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just wanted to pop in and say that when I play EVE Online, I don't really give a flying fuck about the politics.

I just wanna see and/or make shit blow up.

Digito on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Goddamnit, I can't install the Eve Premium Client under WINE. Anyone else have any luck with this?

What version of Wine are you running? The current tested version for EVE (marked as gold) on WineHQ is 1.1.15. The e-mail that CCP sent said that tells you to visit that page so for finishing the tweaks that are needed.

Also, try installing "directx9" and "corefonts" with winetricks before installing.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've got a quick question if anyone would be so kind: I've downloaded the Steam trial to see if this is something I could get into, but I'm having major issues with the text size in the game. I'm trying to play fullscreen @1680x1050. I saw an option in the options to "expand" the font, which made a tiny improvement, and there was something that said text size which I changed to 12, but that made no difference (at least that I could see).

Is there a way to make the font bigger? I'd love to give the game a spin, but I can't even get past the first few screens of character creation, as the text is nigh-unreadable.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »

What version of Wine are you running? The current tested version for EVE (marked as gold) on WineHQ is 1.1.15. The e-mail that CCP sent said that tells you to visit that page so for finishing the tweaks that are needed.

Also, try installing "directx9" and "corefonts" with winetricks before installing.

Thanks - apparently the solution is to install Wine Doors. Worked for me.

(Though that probably installed DX9 and other stuff that the installed needed to be compatible.)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    (The hell, and now it keeps crashing during character creation.)

Imperfect on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've got a quick question if anyone would be so kind: I've downloaded the Steam trial to see if this is something I could get into, but I'm having major issues with the text size in the game. I'm trying to play fullscreen @1680x1050. I saw an option in the options to "expand" the font, which made a tiny improvement, and there was something that said text size which I changed to 12, but that made no difference (at least that I could see).

Is there a way to make the font bigger? I'd love to give the game a spin, but I can't even get past the first few screens of character creation, as the text is nigh-unreadable.

Have you tried switching over to windowed mode? I've never heard of this problem though so I don't really have a solution :\

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TekDragon wrote: »
    widowson wrote: »
    Digito wrote: »
    Fuck it, I'm resubbing today. I don't even care if all my shit is gone, I'll hoover wrecks untill I can fly Tacklers.

I just need to get in on this shit. Hoooooly shit.

EDIT: Wait, are we still fighting or has BoB already given up entirely?
    We don't really know what BoB's long term response is going to be. Their membership is in utter panic right now and frantically evaccing assets from their space, which is a circus since they don't have jumpbridges or cynogen nets anymore. There has been a little resistance in Delve but for the most part the BoB corps are in complete chaos. There's been some word of AAA grabbing up DICE members and Molle flying with RAT. So far their leadership's strategy has been to pray for the GMs to save them.

This morning we issued war decs against all the major BoB corps. Darius says that they can't form a new alliance as long as we maintain these wardecs, so they're basically fucked.

Couldn't happen to nicer guys.

So which corp are the developers going to play for now? :P

But seriously, fuck BoB and the whole cheating, arrogant, pompus, elitist bullshit they stood for. This isn't just a good day for EvE, it's a good day for gaming in general when asshats get taken down a few pegs.

Feast well upon their bloated, fat corpse....

How is this a good day? When a bunch of angry virgin nerds talk shit for a year, spam hundreds of thousands of posts in an attempt to cloud the fact that they pull almost all of the same bullshit, swear they're going to defeat a more skilled opponent, lose every time they try, then finally pull the plug with sabotage.

Next time I'm in a FPS tournament and I know I can't win, I'll just sabotage one of their top player's accounts.

Fly away~~

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    leaf wrote: »

Have you tried switching over to windowed mode? I've never heard of this problem though so I don't really have a solution :\
    Yeah, that sounds pretty bizarre. Maybe post a screenshot?

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    leaf wrote: »

Yeah, that sounds pretty bizarre. Maybe post a screenshot?

Thanks for the help guys. I tried the lowest resolution possible, and the text was readable, but the game looked like complete junk. Here's a screenshot @1680x1050.
    crazysmalltext.jpg

I made a junk character to see if there was a help channel in-game; there was, but no help to be found there. Figured out how to increase the chat font size, but everything else is still uselessly tiny.

Thanks for any tips - I want to give this a shot, but my eyes get enough punishment as it is, and Internet Spaceships aren't worth bad, constant eyestrain.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    XanariosXanarios Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The game's text, unfortunately, is pretty much itsy-bitsy. Going from 1920x1080 down to the same scale as your image I get similar text proportions:
    comparisonhf9.jpg

You don't really have to do much reading though.

Xanarios on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Welp, I just resubbed one of my accounts.

Who do I need to hit up to get back into MRCHI?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think I need to get into scamming. I am pro-time to just type shit.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Search for MerchI in game, go to one of the empire stations, put in an application, remember to note you were in MerchI before in the app. Generally takes a few days.
    I think I need to get into scamming. I am pro-time to just type shit.

Goonswarm has what amounts to a training program for that. You will see it when you get in.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Oh shit son, Kenny's extra fucked now that we've got James Duaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar back!

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Tried to endure the 6 or so point font, but couldn't bear it. Shame because the game looked pretty stunning graphically. I don't really get why I can change the font chat size, but there's no option to increase the rest of the game - seems like an easy thing to do. Ah well, I guess it's not to be. Anyway, have fun out there people!

firewaterword on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Tried to endure the 6 or so point font, but couldn't bear it. Shame because the game looked pretty stunning graphically. I don't really get why I can change the font chat size, but there's no option to increase the rest of the game - seems like an easy thing to do. Ah well, I guess it's not to be. Anyway, have fun out there people!

wait, what? there is a little button that says "increase font size" on every chat window, and chat windows are going to be 98% of everything you will read.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Look at dat fuggin post

Screamline on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The best part is to sit back and remember that all this was ultimately caused by a forum sig three years ago.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The best part is to sit back and remember that all this was ultimately caused by a forum sig three years ago.

What was the sig? And I rather like the BoB bee:

BobBee2.gif

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What was the sig?

"Beep Beep, I'm a truck"

Short history:

Some guy in BoB gets hit by a truck and dies.

Some Goon on the Goonswarm internal board makes a sig that says "Beep Beep, I'm a Truck". And BoB go nuts.

The irony here of course is that to be outraged you had to be spying on them, thus negating any claims of "waaaa metagaming" you could ever come up with.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BoB has always been a hyperbole spewing sack of hypocrisy and shit, this is not news to really anyone who has fought them in the last few years.

Though, I must say, as a Veteran of the First Delve Invasion, I may just come back and shoot shit in my battleship. I am done with capital ships, but I still enjoy a good BS thrashing from time to time.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

BoB is the best corp in goonswarm

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

because sabotage is the name of the game in eve?

Edit: actually eve is the name of the game but sabotage would be it's middle name if it had one

Langly on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Langly wrote: »

Edit: actually eve is the name of the game but sabotage would be it's middle name if it had one

I tried explaining this to my roommate after telling him about the whole disbanding BoB thing and he got all angry and stuff and started talking about how meta-gaming is stupid and gay and any game that's designed around that is just done badly and how shitty it is that one person (the BoB ex-director that switched sides) could ruin the game for so many people, etc. I couldn't believe I was hearing this, seeing as how he's a humongous asshole. I figured it would be right up his alley but apparently not. Of course, he also has a thing against EvE anyways, he hates just about everything about it's skill system. He says that he should be able to grind and have higher skills than someone who started playing at the same time but doesn't always have the same amount of time to play but still manages to log on and train skills. *shrug*

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    People who rail against meta gaming in EvE don't "get" EvE. The entire game is based on meta-gaming, and CCP counts on it. It's why the game part of EvE is still a steaming pile of shit, because CCP counts on the meta-gaming to keep it interesting.

So far, it's mostly worked.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So how many millions of ISK has Kenny lost today.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    So how many millions of ISK has Kenny lost today.

Millions? I hope you mean billions, or it's not even a number worth listing.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OK fine.

Billions.

And how long before another Titan kill.

I'm bored now.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

I tried explaining this to my roommate after telling him about the whole disbanding BoB thing and he got all angry and stuff and started talking about how meta-gaming is stupid and gay and any game that's designed around that is just done badly and how shitty it is that one person (the BoB ex-director that switched sides) could ruin the game for so many people, etc. I couldn't believe I was hearing this, seeing as how he's a humongous asshole. I figured it would be right up his alley but apparently not. Of course, he also has a thing against EvE anyways, he hates just about everything about it's skill system. He says that he should be able to grind and have higher skills than someone who started playing at the same time but doesn't always have the same amount of time to play but still manages to log on and train skills. *shrug*

Your buddy is right. It's ridiculous that the game can be pretty much ruined for hundreds of players because one guy gets delusions of grandeur and switches sides. What's even more ridiculous is all the people who say "It's PERFECTLY LEGIT because CCP said it's cool!".

But then again we all know something is different about EvE. Zero Punctuation said it best. EvE is for the antisocial nerds who are to nerds what nerds are to the mainstream crowd. Trying to argue sportsmanship, common decency, and respect is like speaking Greek. Just peeking in on the COAD forum occasionally reaffirms this 110%.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Goumindong wrote: »
    What was the sig?

"Beep Beep, I'm a truck"

Short history:

Some guy in BoB gets hit by a truck and dies.

Some Goon on the Goonswarm internal board makes a sig that says "Beep Beep, I'm a Truck". And BoB go nuts.

The irony here of course is that to be outraged you had to be spying on them, thus negating any claims of "waaaa metagaming" you could ever come up with.

actually i'm pretty sure this isn't how the drama went down. Smoske was a guy who played eve and got killed by being run over by a truck (on the autobahn? I could be making that up). There were of course jokes like that on the internal boards, but then it got onto the Eve official boards. The name escapes me, but someone made a sig that had the goonswarm truck image loading people up and then running over a stick figure.aOnce it got onto the official forums people made a huge stir and then screen shots were posted of Remedial (the corp leader) and FNLN making fun of the guy in local chat (or something along those lines). This caused a generous amount of "legitimate" Goonswarm hate and gave the general forums people reason to admire BoB and deride Goons.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Your buddy is right. It's ridiculous that the game can be pretty much ruined for hundreds of players because one guy gets delusions of grandeur and switches sides. What's even more ridiculous is all the people who say "It's PERFECTLY LEGIT because CCP said it's cool!".

But then again we all know something is different about EvE. Zero Punctuation said it best. EvE is for the antisocial nerds who are to nerds what nerds are to the mainstream crowd. Trying to argue sportsmanship, common decency, and respect is like speaking Greek. Just peeking in on the COAD forum occasionally reaffirms this 110%.

Sportmanship? Are you for real? Are you in BoB, or RISE, or something?

This game is about war and winning, not having a good game of bridge with your buddies. If you can't hang with the big dogs, simply don't play. No where has it ever been claimed that EvE is a game for everyone.

I can't even believe you brought up sportsmanship when talking about EvE. I am having a very hard time containing my laughter.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    yeah eve is a game that is about screwing the other guy, and doing it in a way that is way fun for you and way painful for him. It's a game that can, quite literally, become a job. If I had the time, I would very much be into this game. It's pretty much all I've ever wanted in a mmo

Langly on
This discussion has been closed.