As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EvE General Discussion

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All this talk of e-honor and sportsmanship has reminded me that I can roll up a scam alt to have something do to while I do nothing at work.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    BaudinBaudin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yea, my empire alt should go scam another orca + hulk group again...

Baudin on
    "These people bring a lot of rigor to our cause, but alas, also mortis"
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All this talk of e-honor and sportsmanship has reminded me that I can roll up a scam alt to have something do to while I do nothing at work.

Does this even work? I mean, surely you'd be spending weeks to have anyone fall for anything.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MadtownMadtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

Does this even work? I mean, surely you'd be spending weeks to have anyone fall for anything.

Shockingly, people are stupid. There are few ways to make more ISK more quickly for less effort.

Madtown on
    Angelus Damelon - Eve
  • Options
    woahnowwoahnow __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone got any input on how the speed changes effected piracy?
    The focus has changed from superfast nanoHACs to long range sniper HACs+Falcons. Hit and run tactics are still very viable, but the opposition now has a fighting chance. Vagabonds aren't crazy fast anymore, but still faster than anything cruiser sized, and in some respects even better. Speed nerf is great.

woahnow on
  • Options
    woahnowwoahnow __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

A firm share of people are fucking stupid.

There are people in Jita spamming local 23/7with "I'm rich, quitting EVE and giving away all my money, give me an amount of ISK and I'll give you back twice the amount", and idiots are CONSTANTLY falling for it.

I mean, they must have robots set up that simply repeat that line in local every minute, and make ISK with no interaction at all. People just give them money. It's amazing.

woahnow on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    woahnow wrote: »

A firm share of people are fucking stupid.

There are people in Jita spamming local 23/7with "I'm rich, quitting EVE and giving away all my money, give me an amount of ISK and I'll give you back twice the amount", and idiots are CONSTANTLY falling for it.

I mean, they must have robots set up that simply repeat that line in local every minute, and make ISK with no interaction at all. People just give them money. It's amazing.

hmmm I should try that, I could use the ISK.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Modern Man wrote: »
    I've looked into EvE, but quickly decided it wasn't for me. It seems like it's a game based around making other peoples' lives miserable. I don't really see the fun in playing a game where you constantly have to worry about having someone gank you for no real reason. The game has found its niche, so to each their own, I suppose.

I think what EvE shows is that any game with more or less open PvP is quickly going to become a playground for the self-styled "Harcore" players whose idea of showing their skills is ganking and griefing weaker or less-experienced players. That (among other things) is what drove me out of Age of Conan and to WAR- given human nature, for a PvP game to have wide appeal, the game needs to be based around factions and PvP goals need to be structured, rather than freeform.

The structure in EvE's PvP is provided by the players, not some artificial faction system that is in place simply to keep people incapable of handling a real PvP system happy.

One of the reasons I quit WAR was that it was too structured, almost no real risk or reason to be out there PvPing. I got tired of that kind of PvP years ago.
    Which is why I posted upthread that I'm surprised they were able to pull it off. Age of Conan, for example, has a pretty open PvP structure with no concept of pre-packaged factions and PvP in that game is a ganker/griefer paradise. There are few MMO's out there that allow FFA PvP because it ends up with a lot of player being driven away by griefers.

Frankly, a small percentage of douchebags can ruin a PvP game unless there is a pre-existing structure to the PvP. Left to their own devices, gamers are typically unable to self-police or come up with meaningful reasons to PvP, so you end up with bored players with high-level characters slaughtering defenseless lowbies.

EvE is attractive to that small percentage of the MMO community that (a) is okay with serious death consequences and (b) is willing to invest enough time in a game to build up significant player factions. That makes up maybe 10% of the MMO player-base.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've looked into EvE, but quickly decided it wasn't for me. It seems like it's a game based around making other peoples' lives miserable. I don't really see the fun in playing a game where you constantly have to worry about having someone gank you for no real reason. The game has found its niche, so to each their own, I suppose.

I think what EvE shows is that any game with more or less open PvP is quickly going to become a playground for the self-styled "Harcore" players whose idea of showing their skills is ganking and griefing weaker or less-experienced players. That (among other things) is what drove me out of Age of Conan and to WAR- given human nature, for a PvP game to have wide appeal, the game needs to be based around factions and PvP goals need to be structured, rather than freeform.

The structure in EvE's PvP is provided by the players, not some artificial faction system that is in place simply to keep people incapable of handling a real PvP system happy.

One of the reasons I quit WAR was that it was too structured, almost no real risk or reason to be out there PvPing. I got tired of that kind of PvP years ago.
    Which is why I posted upthread that I'm surprised they were able to pull it off. Age of Conan, for example, has a pretty open PvP structure with no concept of pre-packaged factions and PvP in that game is a ganker/griefer paradise. There are few MMO's out there that allow FFA PvP because it ends up with a lot of player being driven away by griefers.

Frankly, a small percentage of douchebags can ruin a PvP game unless there is a pre-existing structure to the PvP. Left to their own devices, gamers are typically unable to self-police or come up with meaningful reasons to PvP, so you end up with bored players with high-level characters slaughtering defenseless lowbies.

EvE is attractive to that small percentage of the MMO community that (a) is okay with serious death consequences and (b) is willing to invest enough time in a game to build up significant player factions. That makes up maybe 10% of the MMO player-base.

What allows it all to work is incentives for controlling an area. In age of Conan there is no real reason to lock down an entire zone, as people can just hit another instance or go to another zone. With Eve, when you control territory you control all the resources within, not to mention gaining sov and all that.

You keep comparing apples to oranges. AoC and EVE do not have anything approaching the same system.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The nice thing about EVE is that even lowbees can seriously fuck up a vet.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for that bit about the speed changes, the only thing thats holding me back know is the fact that I have like 500k isk and maybe 1 ship. With -9.9 sec status, and no desire to start up both accounts its going to be a struggle...

Anyone know when the "BS's in low-sec" are coming out? That would make my life a lot easier to restart my Eve career.

My desire has been aswaged: To many changes, to much to catch up on, to much training if I want to do any of it.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The fact that low SP players can make a difference in meaningful PvP is one of the best aspects of EVE. Sure, it's a little annoying to lose a battleship or a capital to a bunch of people with a quarter of your SP, but as someone else pointed out earlier: You probably did something stupid to get yourself in that situation to begin with.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Who wants to bet that once Delve is taken it'll suddenly be hit with the nerf bat. :D

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Who wants to bet that once Delve is taken it'll suddenly be hit with the nerf bat. :D

Angel Cartel invades, displaces Blood Raiders.

pr- didn't have enough bubbles, so we added some. More bubbles = better than.

rj397c.jpg

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I could imagine sitting some 75km away from that, and just laughing my ass off.

I pitty those who just wanted a relaxing day in Eve, who logged into that station.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think you could use a few more bubbles.

Pata on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am wholeheartedly disappointed that the bubbles around that station have not been arranged into a gigantic wang.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Look at those goons, serious posting like the Internet is Serious Business.

Goons have become what they despise.

The irony.

:^:

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am amazed that nobody's gotten it yet.

Pata on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That thread confuses me. And makes my head hurt.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I am amazed that nobody's gotten it yet.

Yet some Goons have been posting (and quoting those posts) where they outright say that those are old posts from TAFKAB that have had some names changed around.

And they still don't get it.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    There are so many posts in that thread like this:
    Mai Doran posted:

Seriously guys, look at how you lot are going on in the forums now, look back 18-24 months ago on the forum and see how BoB were talking back then. No difference, different subject, same attitude
    SOOOOOOOOOO CLOSE

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That thread is epic. I was reading it in real time yesterday, and several times busted out laughing, causing my co-workers to look at me funny.

Like when vile rat points out that Remedial taught us all that sometimes you just need a picture of your wiener to make things better.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I lawled.
    ceaon wrote:
    i hope to explain this is a proper way :)

when you have a ship t1 one or t2 there are few choices to use/fit the ship so you will know pretty well how the ship will be able to tank/dps/etc.But whit T3 you get more choices some part give more speed, other more power grind, other cpu, other fitting slots etc What this make is that our expectation to be much bigger that should be, so there you can get the parts to build ultimate tank ship you get the ship is good it tank well but is not what you expected to be whit all this options you get some kind of illusion for ultimate tank ship.

now come on troll me 8-)
    So you're going to have to do some actual thinking with regards to hull components and their capabilities instead of copying some cookie-cutter setup from scrapheap challenge or wherever for "guaranteed" results. Boo hoo. Cry some more.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What? What did he just say? Maybe I didn't understand it because I don't know what the go is with T3 ships.

he did not explain it a proper way

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

the consequences aren't THAT serious. You just have to have a sort of buddhist detachment from the desire to be alive, and you'll do fine.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    What? What did he just say? Maybe I didn't understand it because I don't know what the go is with T3 ships.

he did not explain it a proper way

I'm pretty sure he's ranting about strategic cruisers. See the dev blog entry for details.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    T3 cruisers actually sound really interesting. Although I may be really interested in them because their starting skills I already happen to have skilled up for, unlike the stupid jump from T1>T2 stuff which was a bit more daunting. Naturally they will be put on the market for insane prices such that i won't be able to afford them.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have just been basically floundering around in eve for months. I sure would like to do something organized and good, but I'm basically at a total loss. Right now I'm in empire, and I'd like to pick up my advanced learning skills and a couple other skill books before I head back into the wild west

but I also want to join in the pewing.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    T3 cruisers actually sound really interesting. Although I may be really interested in them because their starting skills I already happen to have skilled up for, unlike the stupid jump from T1>T2 stuff which was a bit more daunting. Naturally they will be put on the market for insane prices such that i won't be able to afford them.

Where is information on the T3 ships and their requirements?

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ah...some of the leaks from Goonfleet's boards are providing me with some much needed amusement:
    We can listen to sweet tunes while we celebrate the birth of Christ the way he'd want it... shooting the towers and spaceship armies of a godless, long-haired faggot. You see like Jesus, we were betrayed by Judas for a paltry sum of silver and also like Jesus most of you will die virgins.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have just been basically floundering around in eve for months. I sure would like to do something organized and good, but I'm basically at a total loss. Right now I'm in empire
    These statements are crucially linked.

runaway_pancake on
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have just been basically floundering around in eve for months. I sure would like to do something organized and good, but I'm basically at a total loss. Right now I'm in empire, and I'd like to pick up my advanced learning skills and a couple other skill books before I head back into the wild west

Flying T3:

1. train skills to fly ship
    2. have everything in nearest 2 regions bum rush you
    3. die
    4. goto 1

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Where is information on the T3 ships and their requirements?

From my corp's threads:

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/Olivier/apo_loki_skills.jpg

Of course, it's just one ship but just extrapolate similar skills to other subsystems. If you die in a T3 ship though, you'll lose some SP in a random subsystem skill.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Ah...some of the leaks from Goonfleet's boards are providing me with some much needed amusement:
    We can listen to sweet tunes while we celebrate the birth of Christ the way he'd want it... shooting the towers and spaceship armies of a godless, long-haired faggot. You see like Jesus, we were betrayed by Judas for a paltry sum of silver and also like Jesus most of you will die virgins.

Where is this coming from.

I need to see it.

Pata on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder if my guy still exists

he could fly a sleipnir

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I forgot if you could query characters

someone look up durandal VI and tell me if he still exists

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Where is this coming from.

I need to see it.

Here. I mainly started reading it because of a link on kug's site where a spy in GF got booted due to someone's title.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I like the fact that they had an entire thread dedicated just to Goon intel.

Pata on
This discussion has been closed.