As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Primaries: Pennsylvania, key hellhole state

• Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ............does that sign say "Smart Choice"?

As if she were some kind of fucking healthy alternative to your typical breakfast meats.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    *turns on news*

*sees media spin*

*cries*

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

As if she were some kind of fucking healthy alternative to your typical breakfast meats.

"Hillary Clinton: The other other white meat"

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll give it a week to see if superdelegates react. If they don't react strongly one way or the other, I'll wait for the IN/NC primaries. Then I'm reposting that music video of all the puppets singing for Margaret Thatcher to resign. The resemblance to Hillary's position is somewhat striking.
    Please don't, I had nightmares for a week. ;)

Aw, don't say that, it was the primary source of my political education and satirical until I was eleven.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

They couldn't fit the full slogan on the sign: "The Smart Choice For Dumbasses Who Hang Outside The Window Of a Moving Vehicle".

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    *turns on news*

*sees media spin*

*cries*

i'm just going to try avoiding all news sites and channels for the next week and a half

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wise move. The big three were all asking things like, "Has the tide turned now? Is Obama in trouble? Is Hillary making her comeback?"

I was worried that the media spin for any non-trivial Hillary win would be that the fucking Comeback Kid was kicking ass and taking names, and based on the few minutes I saw this morning, that's exactly the case. I hope the meme dies in a fire and gets pooped on.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    That photo says more about Clinton supporters than anything else ever could.

Idiots.

Yeah, not a fan of the blanket dismissals.

We'll need those "idiots" in Indiana and Oregon and West Virginia and we'll sure as shit need them in the general election. Demeaning ain't a great idea. Neither is being a sore loser.

I'm just sayin, I'm disappointed too, but I don't feel like taking it out on other people that share my core beliefs.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, it generally takes a few days before reality sets in and everyone remembers that she really doesn't have a realistic way of winning. Same thing happened after TX/OH, I expect the same thing to happen here. Also, if I hear one more thing about working class white people, I'm going to punch someone in the face. Those guys can fuck off. If Obama loses in November, I'm not just blaming Bill and Hillary, I'm blaming them. It's their fucking fault that we have Bush now and it'll be their fault if we have Bush III.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Idiots.

We'll need those "idiots" in Indiana and Oregon and West Virginia and we'll sure as shit need them in the general election. Demeaning ain't a great idea. Neither is being a sore loser.

I'm just sayin, I'm disappointed too, but I don't feel like taking it out on other people that share my core beliefs.

ANYONE who hangs more than 50% of their body out of a moving vehicle in what appears to be a zealous attempt to show their support of someone. Is. An. Idiot.

That's not dismissive. That's fact.

Tach on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Coming across journalists desks this morning was the following e-mail from Phil Singer at Clinton camp with the subject, "More People Have Voted For Hillary Than Any Other Candidate"

Apparently, if you include FL and MI, Hillary leads the popular vote. Of course, no one but Hillary includes FL and MI, but... still. Ugh.

Houn on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Coming across journalists desks this morning was the following e-mail from Phil Singer at Clinton camp with the subject, "More People Have Voted For Hillary Than Any Other Candidate"

Apparently, if you include FL and MI, Hillary leads the popular vote. Of course, no one but Hillary includes FL and MI, but... still. Ugh.

And if you dont include the caucuses, Im guessing.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Caucuses don't count because caucuses ain't natural. They was man-made like the Incredible Hulk.

It's in the bible. Noah didn't take no caucuses with him on the ark, so caucuses ain't natural.

Tach on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If Hillary won by the same margin in every remaining primary, she still wouldn't have enough delegates to surpass Obama. Right now she has to win at by at least 30% in every remaining state to have enough.

I'm pretty sure the "comeback kid" angle is going to fade in the next couple days as this becomes apparent.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008

Idiots.

I really didn't mean anything by posting the picture except that the face of that... person... looks disquietingly non-human.

It haunts me.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

And if you dont include the caucuses, Im guessing.

Yeah, the number they're using includes FL and MI but leaves out the caucuses in IA, NV, ME, and WA, none of which reported actual vote totals.

If you're willing to estimate the vote from those four states, Obama's ahead by 200,000 votes even with FL and MI. But due to the difficulties of estimating those votes, and the stupidity of including vote totals from a state where one candidate wasn't even on the ballot, all of this is pointless wankery.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Caucuses don't count because caucuses ain't natural. They was man-made like the Incredible Hulk.

It's in the bible. Noah didn't take no caucuses with him on the ark, so caucuses ain't natural.

They also don't release vote totals, so you need to guesstimate them (you can do it fairly accurately somehow). This makes it convenient for the Clinton team to leave them out.

geckahn on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Seriously, allowing FL because Obama was forced to stay on the ballot, how can ANYONE pretned that MI is a fair gauge of ANYTHING?

"Hillary does well in elections where Obama is not running."

Evander on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Evander wrote: »

Seriously, allowing FL because Obama was forced to stay on the ballot, how can ANYONE pretned that MI is a fair gauge of ANYTHING?

"Hillary does well in elections where Obama is not running."
    Well, will Obama be running in the general if Hillary is the nominee? :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think it was decidedly telling that she won Michigan against uncommitted by about the same margin she won PA.

Really?

really?

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The problem with this spin isn't just that it needlessly extends the race. What happens is that it gives uninformed Hillary voters a totally wrong perspective. Clinton's not losing - she's the comeback kid! So what happens when when she drops out in like a month (or worse, take it to convention and oh god oh god don't talk about it)? All those voters are going to feel betrayed, are going to think Obama stole the election from her, when in fact he already fucking won. And that will hurt us in November.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Clinton campaign cares more about her winning than they do about the Democrats winning. Apparently so do 25% of her supporters. President McCain, here we come. :|

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think once people get the message out that it's better to have Obama in the Oval office rather than a corpse that expels gaseous Bush doctrines they'll come around.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    The Clinton campaign cares more about her winning than they do about the Democrats winning. Apparently so do 25% of her supporters. President McCain, here we come. :|
    I wonder how many of that 25% are motivated by some kind of irrational feminist identity politics, and could be placated by an Obama VP like Sebelius.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    I wonder how many of that 25% are motivated by some kind of irrational feminist identity politics, and could be placated by an Obama VP like Sebelius.

Not many, I'd think. Sebelius isn't the woman they want.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I think it was decidedly telling that she won Michigan against uncommitted by about the same margin she won PA.

Really?

really?

That would almost be an awesome factoid, except that it can be spun in the opposite direction: "Obama is roughly as popular as 'Nobody'."

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Idiots.

ANYONE who hangs more than 50% of their body out of a moving vehicle in what appears to be a zealous attempt to show their support of someone. Is. An. Idiot.

That's not dismissive. That's fact.

Hahaha, yes, I agree, that one person is an idiot. Fortunately, Obama won't need to campaign for his vote, since he will soon be torn in half by a stop sign.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Really?

really?

That would almost be an awesome factoid, except that it can be spun in the opposite direction: "Obama is roughly as popular as 'Nobody'."

Or, only slightly less depressing, that Obama is as popular as 'Anybody but Clinton, for God's sake.'

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Qingu wrote: »

Not many, I'd think. Sebelius isn't the woman they want.

"She's (not) Our Girl!"

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So another supposed flood of super delegates that don't materialize after a lame duck clinton win? Color me suprised.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh god, if I hear the "dream ticket" pitched one more time, I'm going to fucking flip.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Really?

really?

Or, only slightly less depressing, that Obama is as popular as 'Anybody but Clinton, for God's sake.'

I mean, truthfully, that number means that almost as many people went out in heavy storms to tell Clinton to fuck off as went to actually vote for her, which is a much happier number, but that interpretation is beyond the understanding of the expensive hair-pieces that run the MSM.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7363109.stm

Don't be ridicolous. She has no hope of winning the nomination and isn't in the lead in the popular vote. She isn't even in the lead in the national poll. There's no way the super delegates are going to vote for her, as they'd absolutely destroy the democratic party and pretty much hand McCain the Presidency.

Sigh. Silly media is silly.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Really?

really?

I mean, truthfully, that number means that almost as many people went out in heavy storms to tell Clinton to fuck off as went to actually vote for her, which is a much happier number, but that interpretation is beyond the understanding of the expensive hair-pieces that run the MSM.

Which is sad, because a part of me wants to think that they really aren't that retarded and it's all just an act. But all facts seem to point in the other direction with few, Chuck Todd related, exceptions.

moniker on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I have to wonder about revotes. Wouldn't having two huge presidential campaigns wandering around a state with its mob pretty much turn a state in to a money machine? It seems like MI and FL paying for a revote isn't that big a deal since it'll bring much more to the state.

MKR on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    WMain00 wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7363109.stm

Don't be ridicolous. She has no hope of winning the nomination and isn't in the lead in the popular vote. She isn't even in the lead in the national poll. There's no way the super delegates are going to vote for her, as they'd absolutely destroy the democratic party and pretty much hand McCain the Presidency.

Sigh. Silly media is silly.

I <3 the bbc... they presented the facts... there was no "and Hillary Clinton rawx muh sawx" or "Obama is the second coming of Black Jesus"

These are the stats, these are the quotes, this is the situation.

I'm sad that this is refreshing to me.

Edit:

Woah, 60% of democratic voters were women in PA? I thought it would be closer to the 47% I saw earlier in the thread.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    So I have to wonder about revotes. Wouldn't having two huge presidential campaigns wandering around a state with its mob pretty much turn a state in to a money machine? It seems like MI and FL paying for a revote isn't that big a deal since it'll bring much more to the state.

Yeah, except the Clinton campaign leaves a trail of debt in it's wake.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When I think that there are thousands of politicians Obama could have easily smoked and run laughing all the way to the White House in this election year, I weep because instead we get this self-serving fake-smiling poll-calculating hatchet man. It's like a nightmare.

This election, even with a mediocre candidate, would have gone to the dems on the sheer basis of Bush's ineptitude. So we get a good candidate, just to make sure it's clinched. Then we get a historical candidate. Then another. I think that Stewart was right - we've overshot too far. I don't think we've overshot so far that we'll lose, but we overshot so badly that it's going to be close, I fear.

Why can't someone I like just crush the opposition once in a while? Shit, this is why I play video games - I want my guy to DESTROY on his path to the goal. I want to ride the wave of victory on a surfboard made of ass-kicking. Why does it always have to be close?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    When I think that there are thousands of politicians Obama could have easily smoked and run laughing all the way to the White House in this election year, I weep because instead we get this self-serving fake-smiling poll-calculating hatchet man. It's like a nightmare.

This election, even with a mediocre candidate, would have gone to the dems on the sheer basis of Bush's ineptitude. So we get a good candidate, just to make sure it's clinched. Then we get a historical candidate. Then another. I think that Stewart was right - we've overshot too far. I don't think we've overshot so far that we'll lose, but we overshot so badly that it's going to be close, I fear.

Why can't someone I like just crush the opposition once in a while? Shit, this is why I play video games - I want my guy to DESTROY on his path to the goal. I want to ride the wave of victory on a surfboard made of ass-kicking. Why does it always have to be close?

So when the made-for-TV movie comes out in a few years, they won't have to change much to make it compelling.

One Thousand Cables on
This discussion has been closed.