As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brainless abortions AKA undecided voters [SPLIT]

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    I suppose you'd also laud the motivations of some who always voted against the Jewish-sounding name because seriously those Jews are trying to take over the world what with their money and sinister connections and shit.

You will NEVER see me saying that anti-semites shouldn't be allowed to vote based on their views. I may find their views offensive, but they have every right to hold them.

Is anyone here saying that undecideds shouldn't be allowed to vote?

I'm pretty sure we're just saying that we find them offensive.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Undecided folks have just as much right to vote as anyone else. Obviously SOMETHIGN will puch them overthe edge in one direction or the other, so why is that reason any less valid than your reasons for voting one way or another?

Because that SOMETHIGN is very likely to be "which name do I recognize more" or "who has better hair" or "who would I rather be at a BBQ with". Not saying that it's completely impossible for someone to make a last-minute decision premised on relevant issues, only that it's statistically very unlikely. Even folks who decide early often make their choices based on spurious issues - voting for Clinton because she has ovaries, voting for Obama because he's black, voting for McCain because he fought in a war.

A high number of last-minute deciders don't even really think about the issue until their hand is poised over the punch-card. Those people are fuckos and contribute nothing but noise. Worse, they perpetuate establishment politics by coming down heavily in favor of the incumbent or more popular name.

too bad both parties heavily rely on these people to win elections

honestly i don't give a fuck if people vote based on looks, gender, race, what shoes the person wears, whatever. in America, every moron gets a vote, and at a certain point it's really really REALLY hard to prove that someone is less informed than you just because they don't agree with you politically.

so whatever. bring it on, i'd much rather live in a democracy where every brain dead dumbass gets a vote, regardless of opinion and thought process, than in a democracy where we try and parse the electorate down based upon how informed we think they are.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Wait, did I really read right past a "hey, this chick only votes for jews!" remark? Because that really makes undecided voters seem like informed people who are contributing to a logical choice for the nation and themselves. D:

Be careful before treading on the good name of my sainted grandmother...

Evander on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    "Shouldn't vote" is a personal opinion that is nowhere near as far as "should be denied the ability to vote"

You Shouldn't vote at a board meeting at your company where you have not actually read any proposals. You still CAN, but being uninformed you probably Shouldn't.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    I suppose you'd also laud the motivations of some who always voted against the Jewish-sounding name because seriously those Jews are trying to take over the world what with their money and sinister connections and shit.

You will NEVER see me saying that anti-semites shouldn't be allowed to vote based on their views. I may find their views offensive, but they have every right to hold them.

Who here is saying that idiots should be denied the right to vote?

Where did I say anything them being denied a vote?

Evander on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, did I really read right past a "hey, this chick only votes for jews!" remark? Because that really makes undecided voters seem like informed people who are contributing to a logical choice for the nation and themselves. D:

You totally threw your grandmother under a bus in this thread.

kildy on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    so whatever. bring it on, i'd much rather live in a democracy where every brain dead dumbass gets a vote, regardless of opinion and thought process, than in a democracy where we try and parse the electorate down based upon how informed we think they are.

Agreed, though I think if we happened to wind up in a system where only relatively informed people voted, and did so based on relevant issues, it wouldn't exactly be a tragedy.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

She'd still appear in a campaign ad for me if I needed her to.

Evander on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    The reason we hate undecideds is, like was said, most of them don't have the slightest clue about any of it and will go into the booth and vote anyways.

You can decide on a candidate, and then change your mind and decide on another, and keep evaluating your position and never at any point be undecided.

Basically the point is retarded monkeys would be better voters than people who are still undecided on election day.
    The point is that you're all acting like a bunch of idiotic elitists.

Undecided folks have just as much right to vote as anyone else. Obviously SOMETHIGN will puch them overthe edge in one direction or the other, so why is that reason any less valid than your reasons for voting one way or another?
    Could you please point to where any of us said they don't have the right to vote?

And their reasons are less valid because their reasons are fucking stupid. This is an objective fact: when you're voting based on "oh, I think I recognize that name, and that other name sounds kinda like a terrist," you're a fucking idiot.

The name recognition thing is a strawman. Where are the polls where the undecided voters state that they will either vote for the most familiar name, or the one that looks theleast like a terrorist?

Ohio?

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    People voting for stupid reasons is as American as mocking them for being stupid.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008

Because that SOMETHIGN is very likely to be "which name do I recognize more" or "who has better hair" or "who would I rather be at a BBQ with". Not saying that it's completely impossible for someone to make a last-minute decision premised on relevant issues, only that it's statistically very unlikely. Even folks who decide early often make their choices based on spurious issues - voting for Clinton because she has ovaries, voting for Obama because he's black, voting for McCain because he fought in a war.

A high number of last-minute deciders don't even really think about the issue until their hand is poised over the punch-card. Those people are fuckos and contribute nothing but noise. Worse, they perpetuate establishment politics by coming down heavily in favor of the incumbent or more popular name.

honestly i don't give a fuck if people vote based on looks, gender, race, what shoes the person wears, whatever. in America, every moron gets a vote, and at a certain point it's really really REALLY hard to prove that someone is less informed than you just because they don't agree with you politically.

Yeah they do. It's really too bad and probably the central factor in our politics sucking. Basically, 80% of the electorate is already going to vote one way or another based upon party identification. Another 10% will be swayed on issues and triangulation of policy. The last 10% are persuaded by ads. It really leverages low-information voters and makes our politics much stupider than it needs to be.

Now, I don't know what, if anything, could be done about this. Maybe better civics instruction in high-schools?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

The implication being that we are arguing to disallow people from voting.

moniker on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Once again, the past eight years come into play. While I understand that it's every idiot's right to go out and vote based on lapel pins, at some point you have to look at this and go "Man what the fuck this is not right"

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    The reason we hate undecideds is, like was said, most of them don't have the slightest clue about any of it and will go into the booth and vote anyways.

You can decide on a candidate, and then change your mind and decide on another, and keep evaluating your position and never at any point be undecided.

Basically the point is retarded monkeys would be better voters than people who are still undecided on election day.
    The point is that you're all acting like a bunch of idiotic elitists.

Are you honestly talking up the line that "all motivations for voting are equally laudable," Evander?

Because that's idiotic.

And really if the only thing a voter is going off of when the place their vote is passive exposure to campaign advertisements, I feel okay in calling them uninformed and shirking their public duty.
    I'm not saying all motivations are just as good; I'm saying that there is no such thing as "the right motvation".

My grandmother used to vote for candidates with Jewish sounding names, on thebasis that they'd be more likely tohave her same values. As dishonest as politicians tend to be at election time, I can't really see any reason why her method was wrong.
    Why do I have the feeling that if someone said that they were voting for people with the least-Jewish sounding names because they wanted someone who shared their values, you wouldn't be anywhere near as okay with that?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

But why is she holding a chicken in that photo?

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

To be fair, there's a bit of a difference between a Jew voting for another Jew because she thinks it will necessarily advance overlooked Jew-issues and voting for a non-Jew in order to keep those goldurned kikes outta the government, even if both actions are pretty stupid.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah they do. It's really too bad and probably the central factor in our politics sucking. Basically, 80% of the electorate is already going to vote one way or another based upon party identification. Another 10% will be swayed on issues and triangulation of policy. The last 10% are persuaded by ads. It really leverages low-information voters and makes our politics much stupider than it needs to be.

Now, I don't know what, if anything, could be done about this. Maybe better civics instruction in high-schools?

It'd be nice if more people voted period to sort of wash out the die hard ignorant partisans. Each political party generally has 1/3rd of the vote sewed up. (better for Dem's now, thanks to obvious factors) At least that way it's 30% of morons deciding rather than 10-20%. You might be able to get more competitive districts just from the insanity. Which would be good for Washington.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

The implication being that we are arguing to disallow people from voting.

That wasn't my implication. I'm sorry if you read that in to it on your own.

Evander on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

In the bolded bit. You apparently think someone wants to deny people the right to vote, as opposed to saying last minute voters going off of names are making stupid choices.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    To be fair, there's a bit of a difference between a Jew voting for another Jew because she thinks it will necessarily advance overlooked Jew-issues and voting for a non-Jew in order to keep those goldurned kikes outta the government, even if both actions are pretty stupid.
    I like how the automatic assumption there is that the person who doesn't share "Jewish values" is automatically an anti-semite, but the person who does is somehow not anti-non-Jews.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Tach wrote: »

But why is she holding a chicken in that photo?

Because my grandfather was a chicken farmer.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Once again, the past eight years come into play. While I understand that it's every idiot's right to go out and vote based on lapel pins, at some point you have to look at this and go "Man what the fuck this is not right"

that's your opinion though, and you're entitled to it. there were people saying that with the same conviction and certainty about pretty much every "past eight years," and they're entitled to their opinion too.

i'm not trying to argue that bush is a sweet ass president or even an average one, i'm just saying you can't say "yeah but look our country is totally going to hell in a handbasket don't you see" because someone is ALWAYS saying that.

Will wrote:

yeah, they said that in the 1980's. thanks to A Nation At Risk, now we have NCLB and state mandated content to teach students. hooray.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Quid wrote: »

In the bolded bit. You apparently think someone wants to deny people the right to vote, as opposed to saying last minute voters going off of names are making stupid choices.

Also, this:
    Evander wrote:
    Undecided folks have just as much right to vote as anyone else.
    It's not like we have to read too deep between the lines, there, to pick up on that implication.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I like how the automatic assumption there is that the person who doesn't share "Jewish values" is automatically an anti-semite, but the person who does is somehow not anti-non-Jews.

It has to do with the lack of any sort of real "anti-non-jew" movement out there.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That would probably meet definition of an anti-semite, or a drunk Mel Gibson. But I repeat myself.

moniker on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

that's your opinion though, and you're entitled to it. there were people saying that with the same conviction and certainty about pretty much every "past eight years," and they're entitled to their opinion too.

i'm not trying to argue that bush is a sweet ass president or even an average one, i'm just saying you can't say "yeah but look our country is totally going to hell in a handbasket don't you see" because someone is ALWAYS saying that.

Well yeah but look at his (and the rest of the Administration's) numbers in almost every poll over the past, oh, six years. You can play the "someone is always saying that" card but in this case it actually seems more truth than opinion.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Well, if I was ignorant and was obsessively worried about anti-semitism and was trying to pick a person I thought least likely to be an anti-semite, I'd probably pick someone with a Jewish surname.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Well yeah but look at his (and the rest of the Administration's) numbers in almost every poll over the past, oh, six years. You can play the "someone is always saying that" card but in this case it actually seems more truth than opinion.

public perception ≠ reality

Pants Man on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It has to do with the lack of any sort of real "anti-non-jew" movement out there.
    Are you fucking shitting me?

You just fucking described how your grandmother votes for the most Jewish-sounding candidate, but there's no "anti-non-Jew" movement?

I guess if there weren't a KKK or Neo-nazis, there wouldn't be any racism in the country either, right? Because unless you've got a group you can define it under, it can't exist?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well, if I was ignorant and was obsessively worried about anti-semitism and was trying to pick a person I thought least likely to be an anti-semite, I'd probably pick someone with a Jewish surname.

Which is how the rest of us end up with Lieberman, and again goes back to the idea that undecided voters, and by extension uninformed voters, are a giant pimple on the ass of democracy.

As far as Evanders grandmother goes... she's not an undecided voter... it's just that her decision is stupid and uninformed.

And I would also like to point out the irony of Evander calling anyone an elitist.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Are you fucking shitting me?

You just fucking described how your grandmother votes for the most Jewish-sounding candidate, but there's no "anti-non-Jew" movement?

I guess if there weren't a KKK or Neo-nazis, there wouldn't be any racism in the country either, right? Because unless you've got a group you can define it under, it can't exist?

"voted", not "votes" She passed away about 16 years ago.

And you're being a total idiot with this. I didn't say that she declined to vote when there were no Jews to vote for, or disliked non-Jews, or any other such meshugas. The fact that she wanted to vote for her own people DOES NOT mean that she had any negative feelings towards other peoples.

I sure hope you're just as vitriolic with anyone who is voting for Clinton based on Gender, accusing them of wanting to force men into burkhas, and comparing their choices with female circumcision.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    And I would also like to point out the irony of Evander calling anyone an elitist.

o_O

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Antisemitism aside Evander, who is it that said people shouldn't be allowed to vote?

Cause I feel that's the more important subject here.

Quid on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

o_O

Dude, your signature is a quote of someone agreeing with you.

Even on the most meta level that is asinine

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Antisemitism aside Evander, who is it that said people shouldn't be allowed to vote?

No one said that, and I never accused anyone of saying that.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

o_O

Dude, your signature is a quote of someone agreeing with you.

Even on the most meta level that is asinine

Drez and I basically never agree about anything. He said it once, and I stuck it down there because it amuses me.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Then why bring up you would never deny anyone the vote when that concept had never been mentioned?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Then why bring up you would never deny anyone the vote when that concept had never been mentioned?

I didn't. Go read what I ACTUALLY said.

Evander on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You said you don't agree with racist voters, but wouldn't deny them the right to vote.

Others said the same thing about undecided voters.

Since everyone's saying the same thing about people who vote based on something that has nothing to do with the actual views and capabilities of the candidate himself or herself, you have no basis for disagreement unless you believe we said something different about our feelings regarding undecideds.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I didn't. Go read what I ACTUALLY said.
    Evander wrote:
    Undecided folks have just as much right to vote as anyone else.

While perfectly factual, it also implies that someone was suggesting the opposite.

SithDrummer on
This discussion has been closed.