As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hugging the [chat] out of 'em

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hi [chat].

Good morning. I slept 3 hours more than I intended. The only way to do something about this is to make my day THREE TIMES more productive.

Greeper on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    There was some woman on TV with her kid and they were on a diet that did not allow any meat, grain, milk or anything heated. The kid looked /really/ pale and he was very small for his age (but I guess all the crap we put in meat this days has something to do with that). The kid said that when he was cold his mother would pull his meal through the blender so it would be a little warmer.

Thankfully, it was on Dutch TV and the co-host called the mother an extremist and that he hoped the child protection agency was watching as she was clearly not taking good care of her child.

Oh man. D:

Haphazard on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I don't think people like it when I make H/A threads, so I'm just going to ask here.

Is it or is it not creepy or otherwise not kosher if I try to make friends with and insert myself into the social system of the high school down the street? It's $13 round-trip off-peak fare into New York City, and the other 'major city' (White Plains) is $4 round-trip on an infrequent bus and even less likely to work since ... well, neither of those are very likely to work since I don't know anyone and "oh, I live 45 minutes away, I just came here to make friends" seems like a poor hook.

I really want friends. I have limited means. I'm also going on 21. I feel really icky about the idea but I don't know what else I could do.

I think it would be a little creepy, but more than that, I think high school kids are dumb. People have made "looking for friends" threads in H/A before, and gotten some good suggestions. There's that one website called meetup.com or something, isn't there? Maybe you should give that a try. Social networking could be a bit of a bitch, but I think it would lead to more rewarding relationships as opposed to hanging out with teenagers.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't think people like it when I make H/A threads, so I'm just going to ask here.

Is it or is it not creepy or otherwise not kosher if I try to make friends with and insert myself into the social system of the high school down the street? It's $13 round-trip off-peak fare into New York City, and the other 'major city' (White Plains) is $4 round-trip on an infrequent bus and even less likely to work since ... well, neither of those are very likely to work since I don't know anyone and "oh, I live 45 minutes away, I just came here to make friends" seems like a poor hook.

I really want friends. I have limited means. I'm also going on 21. I feel really icky about the idea but I don't know what else I could do.
    oborodontdoit.gif

Seriously, you're no longer a high schooler. Stop trying to get back in.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008

Honestly, I'd say that an internet gaming forum isn't the most ideal place to ask how to make real life friends.

If I knew how to make friends, I'd help you, but all of my friends I've known since high school and haven't had to make new friends.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    v_v

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Vegetarians can eat eggs and still be vegetarians. They can not, however, eat fish.

They just apparently think so. I dunno.
    Some vegetarians argue the fish thing by saying the meat's "different" enough or that fish don't really suffer. Which makes me wonder if they've ever seen a fish gutted and cleaned. Shit's not a pleasant experience for the gilled participants.

You silly, only furry cuddly things have the ability to feel pain!

There are like a million kinds of vegan with different rules. Some can drink milk and eat cheese, some can try to steal wool hats but aren't allowed to touch cashmere(read: fancy-wool) scarves.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have only a handful of friends in real life myself, people who I have not seen now in over 5 weeks.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I find this funny coming from someone who has said they'll probably become a vegetarian except for fish, because "I hate fucking fish, they deserve to die."
    Well for one, I was being facetious. But I meant that in the sense my diet would also be nearly the same as a vegetarians except for fish. I'd never claim to actually be a vegetarian. Also, once I'm in Cali I'm all up ins that humane meat.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    A long time ago on these forums, I had an argument with some vegans who put their kid on an all vegan diet. It got a little vicious because I basically called them stupid and wrong. About a year later, the dude involved came back and was complaining that his kid had been diagnosed with ricketts.

I wish that I hadn't let my arrogance get to me, because I let him have it and basically straight out said it was his fault.

It's very hard to be right in a world full of people who are wrong. I completely sympathize. ;)

Being right is one thing, being over vicious and non-sympathetic because you were right is another. Especially to someone who clearly realised what they had done.

Yes, but you are only human.

There is nothing to be gained from being vindictive from feeling right about someone screwing up.

Yes, but you are only human.

Seriously, just realizing that you were wrong to react that way makes you a better person than 99% of humanity. Especially since we shouldn't have to be nice to stupid people anyway.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, [chat] stop bringing me down. Can't we talk about how awesome it is to barbecue all day with friends instead of talking about how hard it is to meet them?

Because, man, barbecuing into the late hours of the night and shooting the shit is the best.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I find this funny coming from someone who has said they'll probably become a vegetarian except for fish, because "I hate fucking fish, they deserve to die."
    Well for one, I was being facetious. But I meant that in the sense my diet would also be nearly the same as a vegetarians except for fish. I'd never claim to actually be a vegetarian. Also, once I'm in Cali I'm all up ins that human meat.

How... how is it?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    I could probably switch to a fully vegetarian diet without too much problems. I don't really eat a whole lot of meat anyway.

I like to use quorn when I make tacos/fajitas or other "handheld" food. Nowhere near as drippy as using meat.

Echo on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    Man, [chat] stop bringing me down. Can't we talk about how awesome it is to barbecue all day with friends instead of talking about how hard it is to meet them?

Because, man, barbecuing into the late hours of the night and shooting the shit is the best.
    BBQs make pigs cry.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

BBQ's are the fucking shit man.

Greeper on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

That is so awesome!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2008

you could help more

but every time I ask you to help it's just an opportunity for you to flaunt your oh-so-cool-and-better-than-everyone-else lifestyle and not give me anything more than a useless nugget of information

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Medopine wrote: »
    I made veggie pancakes this weekend--

Potato
    Sweet Potato
    Carrots
    Green Onions

Mix with some flour and an egg, cook in a skillet.
    Sweet potato pancakes sound like something I might kill a man over.
    Jesus christ those sound good
    Isn't egg a no-no for vegetarian?
    Only if you're a vegan.

A long time ago on these forums, I had an argument with some vegans who put their kid on an all vegan diet. It got a little vicious because I basically called them stupid and wrong. About a year later, the dude involved came back and was complaining that his kid had been diagnosed with ricketts.

I wish that I hadn't let my arrogance get to me, because I let him have it and basically straight out said it was his fault.

A long time ago on another forum there was this guy that said he had this disease that the health industry was ignoring called Morgellons that involved tiny little hair looking fiber parasite things and constant itching and pain. He was a former junkie and the disease sounded like something from the X-Files so I ragged on him about it to an embarrassing degree and basically called him a fucked ex-junkie psycho.

A couple of years later he killed himself and there are times I wonder if it was because assholes like me didn't at least listen to him and basically broke down his ability to fight whatever was wrong with him.

Of course, after just now googling his name again I find he died of a toxic reaction from taking so many meds and not suicide. Apparently he wouldn't go get his blood tested because he was afraid they'd take him off his antibiotics which he felt would make the attacks worse.

Still makes me a dick though.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I got these soy chocolate ice cream bars from Trader Joe's yesterday. They were pretty good, actually.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Irene why shouldn't we be nice to stupid people?

It isn't really they're fault that they're stupid. Not really.

Greeper on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Speaking of medical conditions that aren't terminal or debilitating, but still suck, I would have to say my fucked up ears are the most irritating.

Cauliflower ear? Are you a UFC fighter?
    No, my eustachian tube is too small, or something, and so that leads me to have lots of infections, and my eardrums are terrible and the tubes don't stay in that long. Long story short, I'm really hard of hearing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/

And now I go get my own lunch

img9182we5.jpg

This is a cute fucking lunch.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    hmmmm, i think i have to go to our office in The Dalles today... this means Burgerville for lunch. Fuck yes.

JPants on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

you could help more

but every time I ask you to help it's just an opportunity for you to flaunt your oh-so-cool-and-better-than-everyone-else lifestyle and not give me anything more than a useless nugget of information

umm.... yeah I'm still really struggling with my breakup, and just spent an hour in public talking to myself but holding my cell phone to my ear so that people would think I was talking to someone, but.. you know... trying to be positive.:|

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've dialed back my meat consumption a lot out of an effort to live healthier. I will occassionally buy a steak for the grill (Say, once every 2 - 4 weeks, although I don't really track it), but lately my meat consumption has been cooking up half a chicken breast to put in rice and mushrooms. And I don't always put chicken in with my rice and mushrooms because rice and mushrooms is amazing already. :P

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Greeper wrote: »

Yes, but it's their fault for subjecting me to their stupidity.

When I become empress of the world, I'm going to form stupid colonies. Like leper colonies, except for stupid people.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008

Some people choose to be stupid for no good reason at all.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Plus ripsticking is the best!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Speaking of medical conditions that aren't terminal or debilitating, but still suck, I would have to say my fucked up ears are the most irritating.

No, my eustachian tube is too small, or something, and so that leads me to have lots of infections, and my eardrums are terrible and the tubes don't stay in that long. Long story short, I'm really hard of hearing.

I had a fuckton of ear infections for some reason when I was a kid.

Now my balance is fucked, but on the other hand I can't get carsick or seasick or anything, even when I read a book.

It's a weird tradeoff tbs.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

you could help more

umm.... yeah I'm still really struggling with my breakup, and just spent an hour in public talking to myself but holding my cell phone to my ear so that people would think I was talking to someone, but.. you know... trying to be positive.:|
    I'm sorry I lashed out at you and hope you feel better

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I could switch to any diet I wanted, but ultimately I think the best diet is one that includes everything. Obviously, in reality as much as I hate to admit it a good diet is biased towards green stuff and fruits, but if you eat a variety of different foods you're bound to be better off. We've evolved as omnivores and we're well past any ancestor that ate fruit and nuts all day as their sole diet.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    but also to be fair I was asking for help weeks before the breakup so don't use a cop-out appeal to pity like that again, mister high and mighty

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008

When I become empress of the world, I'm going to form stupid colonies. Like leper colonies, except for stupid people.

How would you decide who's stupid?

IQ is definitely no indicator.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Vegans can't eat milk and cheese or use anything gained through aniamls in any way ie wool, feathers, etc. Ovo vegetarians can eat dairy and eggs, vegetarians can not. Though the latter two both usually get called vegetarians anyway.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Vegans can't eat milk and cheese or use anything gained through aniamls in any way ie wool, feathers, etc. Ovo vegetarians can eat dairy and eggs, vegetarians can not. Though the latter two both usually get called vegetarians anyway.

I knew a vegan once.

When I realized she couldn't eat pies I was so sad for her :(

Greeper on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008

That really sucks. I've got a constant ring in my left ear because of a mix of high blood pressure and tons of infections when I was young. It never stops. Apparently, a smoking environment correlates highly with ear infections.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Ground turkey is awesome.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

How would you decide who's stupid?

Someone who thinks man rode around on Dinosaurs is probably a good candidate.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

you could help more

Its ok poldy we're there for you man, just don't grab my ass.

If you want to watch a fun movie, check out Feast!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Well for one, I was being facetious. But I meant that in the sense my diet would also be nearly the same as a vegetarians except for fish. I'd never claim to actually be a vegetarian. Also, once I'm in Cali I'm all up ins that human meat.

How... how is it?
    How is what?

Jesus chat moved fast.

Edit: OH I SEE

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.