As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Violin Purchase Advice

MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys I just recently decided I want to learn how to play the violin because it looks and sounds sexy.

Now I have no idea about anything to do with the purchasing of such a device as all the music stores in the area have no idea and don't carry them.

So I was looking at this on ebay and was wondering if it would be a good starter violin for the price? (which is what I'm trying to stay in the range because if I don't like it I will only be out $40)

Thanks in advance and if anyone wants to point me in the direction of any good sites or books on how to self-teach myself that would be great too.

sig1.jpg
Monkeyfeet on

• Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am almost positive that if you keep looking you will find a music store in your area that rents violins. A rental violin will be kind of shitty, but it will probably sound better than a 40 dollar violin. Also consider that you will need a shoulder rest (seriously, get a shoulder rest) and a music stand and probably a tuner. I have a Korg metronome/chromatic tuner that works pretty well, only cost about 30 bucks.

I don't know anything about self teaching, other than that I think it would be really hard to do. I seriously recommend taking at least some lessons, as the technique is not that intuitive.

Boutros on
  • Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, I think this depends how serious you are about playing the violin as a hobby. This isn't a great violin, the one you've linked. But I think that its about the right price for a hobby you're not totally into yet. Just double check with the seller if you're going to need to string the violin yourself when it arrives, that isn't a process I found very easy, but then again, I was pretty young when I played.

"Good" beginner instruments run a few hundred dollars, good expert instruments are a couple to a few thousand, so you can see why I'm saying it depends what you want to spend on this hobby. I don't think there's any harm getting started with something from eBay, especially if you don't plan to get a teacher.

If you do change your mind and get a teacher later, I'd just ask them if they could take you out to get a new instrument as the first action item.

That said, if you want a really sweet violin to start on:

1. Be prepared to spend more (see above)
    2. Go into a store that carries violins (I see you may have to go outside your local area)
    3. Take someone that knows about violin tones so they can help with one that sounds good
    4. Generally, you're looking for a maple back/side and a spruce top, ebony fingerplate/pegs
    5. If you buy used from the newspaper or something (nothing wrong with that - older violins made of good materials sound better than new instruments) try to find something with no repairs/none needed
    6. Louder is better, as long as it's the same, otherwise good, tone

Learning:

Try to keep in mind that it's better to train your ear than your eye, with regard to finger placements. I used tape to put my fingers in the right places on the string as a child, but I regret that my teacher made no real effort to try and have me listen to the sounds and try and place my fingers by memory and sound instead. Some people recommend a dot of whiteout instead because it will wear off and force you to listen within a few weeks of regular playing.

I don't really have any online materials that wouldn't be just a google search so maybe someone else can chime in thre.

onceling on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rent a violin. The eBay one looks like a shitty Chinese made piece of crap. At least when you rent, you can get a slightly less shitty Taiwanese or even Eastern European violin.

Also, if you find you don't like it or whatever, you won't have to try and hawk a $40 violin.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for all the advice.

I live in Northern Vermont and I'm no too sure about areas I can take lessons and rentals but I may be able to go up to Montreal and learn the Canadian way

But I think I'll give the renting a try first

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Monkeyfeet wrote: »
    how to self-teach myself

How much patience do you have? I won't say it's impossible, but without outside feedback it's like a toddler trying to climb Everest. It's easy to get discouraged as the months pass and you still sound like shit. Check your nearby schools for student teachers or music teachers who do lessons on the side.

Good call on renting, that ebay "violin" looks awful.

Fats on
  • Options
    AmphetamineAmphetamine Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trust me- do not self teach yourself violin. I am currently working with a girl who self taught herself cello and the technique is so off its crippling.

It's not like picking up the guitar.

Amphetamine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah I guess it is a bad idea. I knew it is a harder instrument to play right let alone well.

And it certainly dosn't help I haven't had any formal musical training in about 8 years. Aside from remidial vocal training.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • Options
    grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Trust me- do not self teach yourself violin. I am currently working with a girl who self taught herself cello and the technique is so off its crippling.

I disagree to the extent that any instrument is worth $30-$50 to try and learn. Sure, you'll almost certainly be terrible at the violin (as it is very difficult to teach yourself), but for $40 what the hell. I'd definitely rent for a month, though. That eBay violin looks pretty horrible even to a sucky ex-violinist like me.

Have you considered pawn shops? You'd be surprised at the quality you can score there sometimes.

grungebox on
    Quail is just hipster chicken
  • Options
    DustyBottomsDustyBottoms Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    grungebox wrote: »

I disagree to the extent that any instrument is worth $30-$50 to try and learn. Sure, you'll almost certainly be terrible at the violin (as it is very difficult to teach yourself), but for $40 what the hell. I'd definitely rent for a month, though. That eBay violin looks pretty horrible even to a sucky ex-violinist like me.

Have you considered pawn shops? You'd be surprised at the quality you can score there sometimes.

Maybe worth $30-50 to rent for a month, but never to buy an instrument to try out for the first time. Such a crappy instrument can be terribly discouraging, because there's nothing you can do to get a beautiful sound out of it. A beginner will sound even worse than someone with training.

I am a cellist with 13 years of formal training, but I bought a violin off eBay for cheap only because I needed something violin-shaped to practice on and have some minor experience with the instrument. It sounds exactly like I expected - like crap. But for what I need it for, it's worth it. For a beginner, you're better off starting with renting a decent instrument for the same price. After all, if you pay $50 to own a crappy instrument, you'll likely quit after a month of trying anyway - might as well pay the same (probably less) for a rental of a decent instrument.

DustyBottoms on
    828636-1.png
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Renting is the way to go. If nothing else having someone willing/able to take a look at your instrument everyone once in a while will help it stay in pretty nice condition.

General Violin/Viola* advice:

Get a metronome, play along to it. Get a tuner, play scales and check each note within the scale to a tuner. Make sure you are holding both the bow and the violin correctly. Also getting your left hand setup properly will make it easier to play in the long run. To be honest it is uncomfortable to hold an Violin/Viola correctly.

The way I was taught to hold it is, you look straight to your left, place the viola under your chin and hold it. You should be able to hold it just between shoulder/chin. After that place your thumb on the bottom of the neck, and rotate your elbow towards the way you're facing, until you're able to place your fingers on the strings while keeping your wrist in line with your forearm.

Hope that helps, though it's a quick/dirty explanation and probably not too helpful. Here is a good link: http://community.netidea.com/mirhughe/suzuki/posture.htm

*I play the Viola, for about 7ish years in school orchestras and now just kinda for kicks.

duallain on