As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monitor life-span question

JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster KittehRegistered User regular
So my mom's computer monitor just went belly-up last night, and that got me to wondering:

What is the expected lifespan for a computer monitor? It's an old CRT model- big and heavy. We got it back in the late 90's, so I'd think its age would be somewhere around at least nine to twelve years of age. Is it normal for monitors to just die like that?

steam_sig.png
I can has cheezburger, yes?
JaysonFour on

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Eh, it really depends. I have Apple IIe and Commodore 64 monitors that still keep trucking just fine despite being decades old, yet my friend's CRT just blew up and smoked out of the blue when I plugged it in. They're pretty resilient generally, but sometimes you just get a bum draw.

I am reminded on how many times my dad had to fix our old Sony Trinitron TV every time it blew (burnt fuse or dead component or what-have-you) before we finally chucked that fucking thing. I don't have enough fingers.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe you need to dust off the back and top of the monitor and use a can of compressed air on the vents??

TM2 Rampage on