As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about kilts

Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking into getting a casual, recreational kilt. Why you ask?

1. I want to wear a dress, and I'm a man.
2. I'm of Irish decent (yes I know kilts are of scottish origins).
3. The ability to moon/flash people more efficiently
4. Aaaaand I've started training with some friends using some strongman style implements.. i.e. atlas stones, log presses, firemans carry... etc. This has raised my interest in highland game-type events. I may try to compete in them in the future. (This is the real reason)

Now, I've looked around online, and have seen prices range from 50 bucks on ebay, to around a few thousand dollars for the hand-made, full attire type stuff. This site here seems to have some good quality kilts, and the economy kilt seems to be a good choice (only 100 bucks):

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Kilts/economy_kilts.html

I would like to know if anyone has experience purchasing kilts and has some extra info, or maybe a cheaper alternative like making my own. I really need something that will last, as this thing will most likely get dirty and take a beating. I honestly don't expect a lot of replies :P, but whatever help you can give me, I'll appreciate it.

Brucelee41042 on

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I would say that honestly you shouldn't err on the side of cheap. I spent $700 on mine 15 years ago.
    15 years! and I still wear it.

Actually if you're just wearing it for highland games type stuff a reasonably durable, well priced kilt is the way to go but you should also get a nice dress one.

I have never had to wear a tux in my whole life and I tell ya, the ladies love em!

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Red OktoberRed Oktober Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you want a formal one you are looking at a lot of money, mine was ~£800 for the entire outfit, but it should last for absolutely years.

If you want one for wearing to outdoor events you want a durable one, but not a formal kilt. Try asking for those or checking UK sites - people buy casual ones to wear to the rugby for instance - this is what you want.

Red Oktober on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    If you aren't worried about being traditional:
    http://utilikilts.com/

I think they're bad fashion and a cry for attention, but that's just me.

Doc on
  • Options
    CooterTKECooterTKE Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i paid $500 for mine but it also is traditional family colors and pattern. I mainly wear it for the Highland games in my area.

CooterTKE on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    http://www.sportkilt.com/index.cfm

A slightly less expensive option. I have no experience buying them, though.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just bear in in mind that there is a big difference between a cheap piece of tartan fabric and a kilt. The $100 one you listed earlier is the type they sell in tourist shops here in Edinburgh. They're fine for wearing in something like the highland games events you spoke about, but you couldn't wear it to a formal occasion or anything. They really are just tartan fabric, really poor quality and they'll likely fall apart (I had one that i used to take to music festivals, and the leather straps fell off).

I'd liken it to a suit. You get what you pay for. And although you'd never wear a 'formal' kilt to an outdoor event, you could still pay a bit extra to get a proper kilt for what you're looking for.

Ponge on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Make sure you have the "right" to wear the tartan you choose - the Scots can be a bit funny with people just wearing random tartans.
    Check these web sites out, you can search for your surname:

this one purports to have Irish tartan.

and this one has world-wide tartans.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just so you know, the Celts wore kilts too, you don't have to feel like a traitor when you wear one.

If I am mistaken and Celts refer to more than Irish people, then, well, Irish people wore them too.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the links guys. I like the idea of having my region's (fermanagh) colors on the kilt. Prices aren't too steep either, just a few hundred.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you really want to rock it oldschool you need to go with the great kilt. This is a tartan blanket(plaid) that you plait, wrap around your waist, belt, flip the remains over your shoulder and pin it. I have used a sport kilt and I think it looks better that most of the dress kilts but you need to pin or belt it(They velcro on, or mine did) to keep it on.
    The utlilikilts are very nice but the models I have seen come in worksman colors(not tartans) and designs(with pockets and such)

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I own a utilikilt and it is great. The newer ones are even cooler because the pockets are removable, and you can even roll up the entire kilt and put it in its own pocket if you need to suddenly jump in a lake or something. I am a Scot and I don't care that my kilt isn't traditional, it looks bad ass with a pair of combat boots underneath it, and nothing else of course.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    it looks bad ass with a pair of combat boots underneath it, and nothing else of course.

I dunno, they just scream "I need attention!"

In my book, it's in the same category as a mohawk or black eyeliner on a dude.

Doc on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    it looks bad ass with a pair of combat boots underneath it, and nothing else of course.

Like girl pants on a guy scream out "My sister and I are getting it on and she doesn't mind that I wear her pants"?

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    As far as I'm aware, Irish kilts do exist, although they used their own form of 'tartan' that is quite different from Scottish tartan. Their tartan is more of a solid colour. Recently several tartan companies produced Irish tartans that relate to the various Irish home counties, (Mayo, Armagh, etc) although these are a relatively new invention and are sort of frowned upon by tartan purists. Kilts in Ireland aren't particularly common or thought of as 'Irish' in any way. Historically they were worn, although I guess somewhere along the lines they have just become thought of as Scottish and abandoned by the irish.

Ponge on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Doc wrote: »

I don't really disagree with you, and I know that some people will always think this. A lot of people feel the same way about nice cars. In reality, I don't wear my kilt nearly as much as I did when I only worked part time and I could be outside while it was nice out.

If things like this always scream to you "I need attention" then perhaps you haven't considered how comfortable they are to wear, or that it was a very common mode of dress (hahaha) for men. ALL forms of clothing say something about you, whether you intend it or not. I never find anything screaming "I need attention" to me. More like "I don't give a shit what you think." I suppose if I were to ride a segway down your street you would think I was looking for attention too, or that I was 'too lazy to walk.' Perhaps it would never cross your mind that I was on my 18th mile of a ride, or that I enjoy it simply because it is fun. But perhaps it would cross your mind. I would find it difficult to be so judgmental all the time.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I am a scott

Scot, not Scott.

Ponge on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kilts. Fucking kilts.

First off, the modern kilt (and, in fact, the whole concept of clan tartan) is a recent invention dating back to the 18th century. It is not an example of an ancient tradition jealously guarded by the myriad peoples since designated "Celtic" (another, equally anachronistic, nonsense word that has been accepted by the masses). Highland dress (if you can even call it that) was basically a thick woolen shawl that was primarily useful for keeping us northerners warm. Could be used as a makeshift blanket if need be. So, don't worry about your pedigree, it doesn't really matter from a historical point of view.

Do you look good in them? Do you feel uncomfortable with your nethers being unprotected from the elements? Can you afford the extortionate price of a decent one? These are the relevant questions to ask.

Personally, I'm not a fan. In fact this particular rant stems from living in the west of Scotland, where men are asked if they are wearing a kilt to every fucking formal event on the calendar. Ignoring the fact that lowlanders are as entitled to wear tartan as, say, a Nigerian is expected to wear lederhosen, actual Scots really shouldn't be as gullible as they are in regards to this kind of thing.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, the kilt was just a big blanket you could take around and wear.

At least, in the sixth grade, that's what the big men with the bagpipes told us.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Red OktoberRed Oktober Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ponge wrote: »
    I am a scott

Scot, not Scott.

I thought this, but he could mean the surname 'Scott'.

Red Oktober on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Or the forename, 'Scott'!

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    In the unlikely event that he did... He should have capitalised it ;-P

Ponge on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, I just searched my last name (Mohammad) on that Tartan website, apparently I'm not allowed to wear a tartan of any color!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm a Scoot. Clan MacArthur woooo. I just looked up my tartan and it is green and black and so cool.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    McGregor represent, and I'll throw my weight wholly behind the "I'd liken it to a suit. You get what you pay for." comment. A well-made kilt is exquisite.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    This is what I've decided on:

http://www.tartankilts.com/acatalog/CASUAL_MEDIUMWEIGHT.html

I will be using the Fermanagh county colors. Up to 46" inch waist will fit me fine. It comes to roughly 280 dollars, this is with shipping. Thanks again guys.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Clan Buchanan, and we have a "loud" pattern. http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clans/clans/buchanan/tartan.html
    I have the whole formal kilt setup, but It's beginning to fray.

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Devnoimag wrote: »
    Clan Buchanan, and we have a "loud" pattern. http://www.scotclans.com/scottish_clans/clans/buchanan/tartan.html
    I have the whole formal kilt setup, but It's beginning to fray.

You have the same colors as Ludicrous Speed tm!!!

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    DevnoimagDevnoimag Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You have the same colors as Ludicrous Speed tm!!!

lol, I think you're right!

"They've gone to plaid."

Devnoimag on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scots in the house. Clan MacQueen.

Hope you enjoy the kilt. I've always wanted a formal one. Need nicer suits first though; can't wear a kilt to court. Yet.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu