As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lump on my chest

GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm seeing a doctor in a few days to have a look;

Anyways, two or three months ago I noticed a lump on my chest. It's small, left and below my sternum. Just between my ribcage and sternum, left. It's about the the size of a pea.

I'd had a wicked bad cough for a couple months preceding it. My own wild ass guess is that I stressed a muscle in the chest and it's inflamed.

The lump doesn't acutely hurt. I can press on it - no pain. But preceding it I'd had a generalized ache in my ribcage, again left. Not chest pain per se - feels much like when I had inflamed rib cartilage a few years back.

Within the last month I've noticed a reddening of my skin above where the lump is. That prompted the worry, and I scheduled a doctor's appointment.

The weirdness? The lump seems to grow and diminish in size. Some days I think it's fading; some days it seems to have come back. It never hurts but doesn't seem to be going away.

I am seeing a doctor soon. But anyone have an idea what it is?

GameHat on

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    No clue, but the doctor thing is a good idea (as others would no doubt say as well). Let us know what the doc ends up saying.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Uh... yah, keep that appointment. You've just described textbook breast cancer.

It could be a cyst, those can be fairly large, and relatively benign. It could also be a torn ligament, an infection under the skin, or a small (again, benign) tumor or growth on the muscle fibers there.

Jebus. We're with ya man. Let us know how that turns out.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yea good luck with that, when I was in high school, I noticed a small lump like that under one of my friend's earlobes. Turned out to be a tumor. Scary stuff. Hope its okay, let us know how it turns out.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I read that as dump on my chest, so, this is a huge relief of a topic.

In any case, lump or dump, a trip to the hospital is gonna be your best choice, despite our collective medical effort.

Cheers, and let's hope it's not cancer.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    BetelguesePDXBetelguesePDX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If it fluctuates in size it is unlikely to be breast cancer. Possibly a sebaceous cyst. Does it have a "head"? Does it ever ooze? How old are you? Male or female?

BetelguesePDX on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had a cyst in that general area, and it matches pretty well with what you're describing. Definitely get it checked out though. It COULD be cancerous (even if you're male- I can't stress that one enough), and even if its just a cyst...

Mine eventually expanded into a huge red mass about 3 inches across. It had to be lanced and drained without much anesthetic before they could do anything, then about a week later surgically removed. I still have a scar there from it, and let me tell you lancing that fucker hurt like hell.

Assuming your doctor visit isn't a month from now or something, it should wait until then at least.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If it fluctuates in size it is unlikely to be breast cancer. Possibly a sebaceous cyst. Does it have a "head"? Does it ever ooze? How old are you? Male or female?

I'm male, 27.

Doctor visit next week.

I really don't think it's cancer, since like I said it grows/diminishes. Seems to be related to how much I coughed the previous day.

It's below the skin completely. No oozing or head or anything like that.

GameHat on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Abscess, perhaps.

Maybe some med student will get lucky and get to drain it!

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Update:

Just a small cyst. Doc says leave it alone unless it acts up in which case he will drain it.

GameHat on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Phew, good... glad to hear it wasn't anything big. It's always good to go to a doctor for those kinds of things, just in case.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095