As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

BSOD during startup

.kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
Bought a gx2 about 3 weeks ago and (for the most part) everything has been running fine until I started up Assasins Creed.

Heres what happened. Game played smooth for multiple playtimes. Then I started getting seemingly random game crashes that would restart my computer. This happened 4 times and on the 4th it shut my computer down but it failed to reboot.

Power is being applied to the Mobo(lights, fans come on, etc) but there is no display with the GX2 and mouse/keyboard are not getting power(tried both usb and PS/2). I put my old 8600 in and I get display but about 6 seconds into loading windows i get a BSOD which reads "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

Tried resetting the CMOS, reseating connectors, all the normal stuff.

I know the normal fix for this is just running the windows repair utility but
A) I can't get into the bios to set boot order so CD boots before hard drive because no keyboard
B) There being no USB & PS/2 power scares me

I'd like to say my mobo is fried but I dont really know as I have very little experience with this sort of thing.

.kbf? on

• Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It would be a good idea to check the capacitors near the power connector on the motherboard. The tops of them should be flat. If they are bulging your leaking, your board is dead.
    Here is what they look like incase you don't know.
    radial-capacitor-polarity.jpg

EDIT: Also, the error you are getting typically means that the filesystem of the drive is mucked up, and you would probably need to run chkdisk on it from the windows recovery console, but since you can't get in to your BIOS at all, it makes me thing something is messed up on your board.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Im leaning towards bad memory or bad motherboard. Do you have multiple sticks of RAM that you can tinker with? Try with just one stick and in different slots (try all your sticks separately to see if things change).

Another way to test what may be at fault is this flow chart:

Sadly enough, a very similar situation to yours happened to me about a month ago. I had just got new RAM and was alt+tabbing in and out of a game when all of sudden my comp crashed and wouldn't restart - but fans still received power. No BIOS boot, no LED's on my keyboard, etc. Im pretty sure it was a bad mobo, but I didn't go through all the checks. I used it as an excuse to build a new system.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If there's a power issue, it's first in the pecking order of things to fix. Sounds like it's your motherboard, but it could be the 5v rail on your power supply for example.

Once you fix whatever is causing your stability issues, know that if writes were occuring while your system was in this condition, your file system is probably corrupt. If I were in your place I'd back up whatever I needed off of the drive and reformat.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    chkdsk /r (it's r right?) is the first thing I'd do, then maybe MEMTEST, but Unmountable_boot_volume is normally a HDD problem :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    chkdsk /r (it's r right?) is the first thing I'd do, then maybe MEMTEST, but Unmountable_boot_volume is normally a HDD problem :(

Right, but he can't even get to the bios to change the boot order to get to the recovery console in the first place.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Right, but he can't even get to the bios to change the boot order to get to the recovery console in the first place.

Fuck. I'm retarded... Apparently I can't read. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Any updates, OP?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I ended up hooking up my hard drive to a friends computer, doing a repair, and then followed Transparent's advice by getting everything I needed and reformatting. I then went through my parts one by one and narrowing it down to the motherboard but I replaced both my motherboard and my power supply just in case(I had been looking to upgrade my power supply anyways). Its been a while and so far I've had no stability problems(prime95 tests and such) so I'd say problem solved.

Thanks a bunch to everyone for the advice.

.kbf? on