As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

System temp =/= GPU temp. Is this okay?

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
O hai.

Nice and concise:

CPU: 26c
System: 37c
HDDs: 37c
ACPI: 14c

Graphics card: 65c

It's an XFX8800gtx extreme (too many x's). I would've thought 65c might be reasonable under load, but it seems a pretty constant thing. Of course, the fan adjusts for noise, so it's on 59% most of the time, only kicking up to 100% during gaming - keeping the temperature pretty much the same, but just to clear, it's okay being ~65c normally, right?

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Depends on it's tolerance. Check the documentation if it says anything about it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's about what my 8800 sits at. You should be alright.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    How hot does it get under load?

It should be okay at that temp idle. The general rule is, the cooler they stay, the longer they last.

Then again, I had a CPU that ran hotter than hell for years and it never gave out.

Shens on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My 8800GTS 320MB runs at like 40-50C idle and 60-65C under load. Though my room is kinda cool right now, so I imagine it might go up 5 degrees C or so on a warmer day.

Your temp doesn't sound too bad.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    O hai.

Nice and concise:

CPU: 26c
    System: 37c
    HDDs: 37c
    ACPI: 14c

Graphics card: 65c

It's an XFX8800gtx extreme (too many x's). I would've thought 65c might be reasonable under load, but it seems a pretty constant thing. Of course, the fan adjusts for noise, so it's on 59% most of the time, only kicking up to 100% during gaming - keeping the temperature pretty much the same, but just to clear, it's okay being ~65c normally, right?

If it makes you feel any better the 7800GT I recently replaced used to get up to 95C. It would freeze up for a few seconds every now and then but never once failed.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One time I ran my X1650 at 100c for about a minute before I realized I had accidently turned the fan off... Doesn't seem to have caused any permanent damage. With a 20% overclock it runs about 80c at full load, 55c idle.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, my XFX 8800GTX sits at around 60c average. Don't worry about it.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Your GPU should never be the same temp as your system temp. The system temp is the interior air of your case. If it gets up to 60+ or your GPU gets down to the 20s/30s, you've got something seriously mis-reading in there.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aye, GPUs regularly get up higher than your case or CPU temps.

Hamurabi on