As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread - G3 phone thing is out. Have you heard of it?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Is there a decent plugin (for Firefox mainly) to play WMV that doesn't suck horribly?

Tried Flip4Mac, but so far it hasn't managed to play shit.

Echo on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Only other one I can think of is http://perian.org/#, no idea if it will do what you want though tbh...

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    I think I remember somewhere in the last mac thread Satan had mentioned a program that served very well as a photoshop replacement, if you didn't need the crazy specialty stuff that photoshop has. Since he won't see this question, would anyone else happen to know? Or remember what it was called? Mucho gracias. :D

Don't forget the GIMP.

Uncle Long on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    I think I remember somewhere in the last mac thread Satan had mentioned a program that served very well as a photoshop replacement, if you didn't need the crazy specialty stuff that photoshop has. Since he won't see this question, would anyone else happen to know? Or remember what it was called? Mucho gracias. :D

Don't forget the GIMP.

Yeah, but I think he wants a good one.

ben0207 on
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Uncle Long wrote: »

Don't forget the GIMP.

Yeah, but I think he wants a good one.

Seashore? The media guru at work asked us to roll it out on the next image so students didn't have to just work on the media machines. We ended up getting a site license of CS3 though, before we got a chance to update the images.

Trentus on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've actually already got Seashore. It's really bare-bones, but is decent for the occasional MS Paint style art.

Pixelmator is really ringing some bells, so I think that must be it. I'll check it out today. Thanks. :D

Oh, and The Gimp isn't good? Is that just because you have to deal with X11? Cause everyone who says they use it on windows has nothing but good things to say. *shrugs*

Kris on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gimp is nothing to sneeze at if you just need to do some basic masking, airbrushing, and maybe a watercolor filter.* It's pretty good at these things. But once you get into more advanced Photoshop stuff like vector layer masks, adjustment layers, and real-time layer effects, Gimp gets gimped pretty fast.
    * Please don't actually use a watercolor filter regardless of which app you use

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Senshi wrote: »
    I guess I don't really have any questions apart from whether or not anyone knows if it's gonna get any juicy stuff done to it before like August that I should know about. I'm thinking something might be unveiled at the WWDC, but I have a habit of forgetting about stuff like that until the last minute. Any clues?

Last fall, I'd been under the impression that a big MBP revision was going to happen in January, which didn't happen, then that it would happen in the spring, which was just a speedbump. After that speedbump I gave in and ordered a clearance previous-rev. one to replace my G4.

Unfortunately I found the new MBP had an unacceptably uneven backlight, which I RMA'd and then was told it was out of stock so they gave me my money back. I was about to re-order it (since the site inexplicably said it was still in stock) but by then it was about six weeks until WWDC, and I ultimately decided to just wait it out one more time.

Just once more.

This is about the most recent bit that sounds convincing. Although I don't really care about that and still want to pick up a clearance, just a clearance with the multi-touch trackpad. :3

Hm. That doesn't really seem like anything worth waiting for. The current MBP is sex, and the last thing I want is for it to become more like the Air. Luckily, there's usually quite a bit of lag between announcements and the arrival of the product itself here, so if I don't like the new one, I can just get the old one.

Man, I really don't want an Air-ified MBP. And matte black detailing? No thanks. Ew, ew, ew. If the specs are good enough and the price isn't too different from the current, I'll think about it--but first revisions of computers are never really a good idea anyway.

WHY, APPLE, WHY

Edit: "Mocks" leaked, interesting but probably inaccurate (see update at end of article).

Senshi on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Anyone know why my iPod Touch won't sync it's address book and calender with Address Book and iCal? It was previously connected to a windows box, could that be the issue? I need to reset it or something?

Oh, and I got my first iMac last week, so i'm sure i'll have some more questions.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So those of you with a white macbook... how dirty does it get after awhile? The ones in the apple store and best buy make me cringe with how nasty they look. Is that because it's the unwashed masses putting their nasty little hands all over it, or is it just what happens to it after awhile naturally? Also, how easily scratched is the lid?

TheMorningStar on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Senshi wrote: »
    Edit: "Mocks" leaked, interesting but probably inaccurate (see update at end of article).

I believe those same "mocks" were posted in the previous mac thread, and pretty much discredited completely. That said, I would show Mr. Jobs a good time if he releases the updated laptop line before college starts again in September. But then again, I've heard bad things about being an early adopter of new models. Oh, why is everything I want always a double-edged sword? :P
    So those of you with a white macbook... how dirty does it get after awhile? The ones in the apple store and best buy make me cringe with how nasty they look. Is that because it's the unwashed masses putting their nasty little hands all over it, or is it just what happens to it after awhile naturally? Also, how easily scratched is the lid?

I owned one of the white G4 iBooks at one point, and I found that after about a year/year-and-a-half worth of using it every day as my only computer, the keys and palm-rest area got pretty darn dirty. Now, I'm pretty obsessive about keeping my belongings clean, and I washed the entirety of that machine at least once a week, as well as washing my hands numerous times during the day to keep them as non-oily as possible. Despite my best efforts, the palm rest areas got the worst, with very noticeably discolored ovals where my hands generally sat. :( As far as the case goes, it got a little scratched, but it wasn't really noticeable since it was white. I've heard the new Blackbooks show off scratches way more.

However, I've had this discussion on here before, and others have said that their white Macbooks look as clean as day 1, with no dirt discoloration what-so-ever, so who knows. *shrugs*

Kris on
    edited May 2008
    I'm sure it's not the accepted practice, but I use a rag and some WD-40 to keep the whites of my iBook clean. It looks pretty good for its age.

Uncle Long on
  • eric.eric. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    so i'm planning on getting a macbook sometime around July. Should i wait for their revision? when do you expect that to be?

eric. on
    edited May 2008
    It's "expected" in June, so July should be a fine time period.

H*R on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    eric. wrote: »
    so i'm planning on getting a macbook sometime around July. Should i wait for their revision? when do you expect that to be?

I would wait for WWDC plus two to three weeks, depending if they actually release revisions or updates at WWDC. If mum's the word after the Keynote passes, they could sneak out an upgrade like they did for Mac World.

Satan. on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I got my MacBook over the summer. It still looks great. There are some minor scratches on the top, which are only viewable from certain angles. The keys get pretty dirty from time to time, but that's easily resolved with some q-tips and a little rubbing alcohol.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited May 2008
    I've barely had my Macbook two weeks, and I've already started to wear the spacebar blank. :P

Echo on
    edited May 2008
    Yet another Mac application update watcher in LogicielMac Update. This is my favorite by far, very sleek and very Leopard-like interface.

Satan. on
    edited May 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I've barely had my Macbook two weeks, and I've already started to wear the spacebar blank. :P

When you continuously use your penis to hit the spacebar, no shit it's gonna wear down quick

Satan. on
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

When you continuously use your penis to hit the spacebar, no shit it's gonna wear down quick

Seriously, that's like 16 penis strokes there.

Uncle Long on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm at work attempting to set up boot camp on my MBP, however, I don't have the leopard CD with me :(

Can i just download the Boot Camp 2.1 from here, burn it to a CD and then run it through XP?

I don't really feel like going all the way home.

Edit: No, no i can not :(

noobert on
    edited May 2008
    So i just did my first Boot Camp Vista install and it went well. Though now in OSX i have a second hard drive on my desktop that's called "untitled" and i can't seem to change the name. I've done the Get Info on it but it's still greyed out. Anyone know how i could rename this to be a bit more descriptive?

H*R on
    edited May 2008
    H*R wrote: »
    So i just did my first Boot Camp Vista install and it went well. Though now in OSX i have a second hard drive on my desktop that's called "untitled" and i can't seem to change the name. I've done the Get Info on it but it's still greyed out. Anyone know how i could rename this to be a bit more descriptive?

I bet you can change it in windows.

TheMorningStar on
    edited May 2008
    I didn't think about that, I'm not used to using Windows as my sub-boot. I'll have to try it when i get home.

H*R on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yes, you can rename it in windows.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If one were to rename it in Windows, where would one do it?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guys, my Mac Pro is better than your computer.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Fallingman wrote: »
    If one were to rename it in Windows, where would one do it?

Open up My Computer, right click on the drive and hit Properties.

Satan. on
    edited May 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Guys, my Mac Pro is better than your computer.

I'm still going to point and call you names unless you're editing HD with Final Cut or something like that.

valar-moreshellus.png
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guys, one more month until we supposedly get revisions. Anything to replace this G4 Powerbook, which is still going strong. I mean damn I want a MBP for some Windows gaming and much faster Final Cut Pro editing, but I'll be damned if I haven't grown attached to this PB.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
    edited May 2008
    After some more surfing around I found MoneyWell, which after a couple of days of poking seems to be the best for personal finance management of the three I've tried -- iBank, Cha-Ching and MoneyWell.

CC had the horribly annoying non-design where it didn't take into account whatever balance you had from earlier months when your view was just for the month, and it counted all future deposits as if you already had the money in the bank. MW doesn't do that silly stuff.

Echo on
    edited May 2008
    Alright, i got my new 24inch iMac on the lowest brightness setting now, and it still seems like i'm looking at the sun sometimes.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things to lower the brightness anymore?

H*R on
    edited May 2008
    Adium is adding Facebook chat to the next release. Unsure how I feel about that.

Satan. on
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Alright, i got my new 24inch iMac on the lowest brightness setting now, and it still seems like i'm looking at the sun sometimes.

I've found about 50% is comfortable for me brightness wise. As for lowering it below the lowest setting I don't really think you can.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
    edited May 2008
    bash wrote: »

I've found about 50% is comfortable for me brightness wise. As for lowering it below the lowest setting I don't really think you can.

Where there's a will, quite often some industrious type finds a way.

In other news, I just dropped my Powerbook off a chair and snapped the wi-fi card. The computer seems to be fine apart from the understandable kernel panic from the network device suddenly taking a new physical shape, though I guess I'll be using wired connections until that MBP now.

valar-moreshellus.png
    edited May 2008
    Galactus, that is perfect, and works very slick. Thank you very much!

H*R on
    edited May 2008
    bash wrote: »

Where there's a will, quite often some industrious type finds a way.

Awesome. This will be great for my film classes, which usually earns me a glare when I have my laptop open for notes.

Satan. on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Adium is adding Facebook chat to the next release. Unsure how I feel about that.

That actually sounds perfect to me. Now I don't need to have a stupid resized FB window open as well as Adium, Skype* and iChat*

*For video Calls.

ben0207 on
    edited May 2008
    I'm just not a big fan of Facebook chat, is all.

Satan. on
    edited May 2008
    So, I got a chance to mess around with a macbook...does it not have touchpad tapping? I couldn't tap the touchpad or whatever you call it to left click. And I didn't see an option to change it in system preferences. Seems odd, since my 4 year old dell laptop has the feature...would really suck if it didn't have it, I've gotten really used to just using the tapping...

TheMorningStar on
This discussion has been closed.